watershed monday

jump is working well...

all the rain resulted in mushrooms...

broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

bi-winning
    Nice air.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

humber river advocate
    another angle...

broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Up, Up, and Away!
    <iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Fr6Na4NH7J8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

humber river advocate
    anyway that was a pretty lame post... if you want to derail a thread you might as well post some interesting links...

The Selvedge Yard

Shorpy Historic Photo Archive | Vintage Fine Art Prints

internet k-hole
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    anyway that was a pretty lame post... if you want to derail a thread you might as well post some interesting links...
    Oh come on, that scene is classic!
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Up, Up, and Away!

Sorry...

I couldn't resist. I love that scene.

mtbr member
    Hilarious AND on topic!

Glad to see the new jump's working out for you, looks like lots of fun.

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
    Oh come on, that scene is classic!
    not bad movie, but posting you tube clips like that is still lame... just copy and past, no effort required.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    not bad movie, but posting you tube clips like that is still lame... just copy and past, no effort required.
    Not getting the joke is lame.

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Not getting the joke is lame.
    perhaps you can help me... is it needling or bantor?
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SuprGrovr View Post
    I couldn't resist. I love that scene.
    Don't apologize, I expect most people got a good laugh out of it.

Up, Up, and Away!

Twas all in good fun...

I say it to my riding buddies all the time.

Up, Up, and Away!
    ...although they are nowhere near 3 feet of air.

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by akura View Post
    Hilarious AND on topic!

Glad to see the new jump's working out for you, looks like lots of fun.
    it is a "sweet" jump , middle ring 5th gear flat out right now. the ground is hardening up so will be able to go over even faster. adds alot of fun to otherwise a boring piece of flat trail. the next jump is starting to be built up and packed down...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by SuprGrovr View Post
    ...although they are nowhere near 3 feet of air.
    about 5' high now (tuning in the lip), gapping around 6'-7' feet with the roll in on soft ground, probally 8'-10' when it hardens up... the landing is a 2' high transition probally make it steeper, taller and shorter to keep up speed for the next feature...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    perhaps you can help me... is it needling or bantor?
    If you post a "look at me look at me" picture on the internet, you can expect some needling.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    about 5' high now (tuning in the lip), gapping around 6'-7' feet with the roll in on soft ground, probally 8'-10' when it hardens up... the landing is a 2' high transition probally make it steeper, taller and shorter to keep up speed for the next feature...
    It's really hard to tell any of that from the picture with it cropped in so tight that even the riders head is missing. Perhaps if the "another angle..." picture was another angle of the jump all of this could have been avoided.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nickboers View Post
    It's really hard to tell any of that from the picture with it cropped in so tight that even the riders head is missing. Perhaps if the "another angle..." picture was another angle of the jump all of this could have been avoided.
    lol

That is not the original picture that was posted before. It's been re-cropped.

The original shot posted showed both the lip and landing.

And SS wonders why he takes a beating on here. Going back to re-edit posts is LAME.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Are you using a Pinkbike measuring tape...

humber river advocate

Are you using a Pinkbike measuring tape...
    think not,

thats the roughed in jump picture (a few days ago), not the finished jump (last night).
    look where i'm landing... by the second tree... well what do you know that's 6 feet or more
    (refer to pic above). the mound starts where the vegetation stops... wow i'm right again, thats around 5 feet to the top of the jump...

by the time everything hardens up i think i'll be landing by the first tree

what's your point again?
    Last edited by singlesprocket; 08-16-2011 at 08:35 PM.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

namagomi
    You got shocks, pegs ... lucky!

Ever take it off any sweet jumps?

How did you manage the flash/shot at the right time? Pretty good timing if just by yourself

9 lives
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    You got shocks, pegs ... lucky!

Ever take it off any sweet jumps?

How did you manage the flash/shot at the right time? Pretty good timing if just by yourself
    I took the picture last evening, ss landed by the second tree.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    I took the picture last evening, ss landed by the second tree.
    Do you take the picture with the entire rider in the frame for personal use?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    think not,

thats the roughed in jump picture (a few days ago), not the finished jump (last night)......

Can you show us a picture of the finished jump?

9 lives
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
    Do you take the picture with the entire rider in the frame for personal use?
    I snapped the pic thats how it came out.

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by nickboers View Post
    Can you show us a picture of the finished jump?
    i'll post a picture up as well as helmet cam footage with some snappy tunes... maybe wednesday.... though i might head out to whiteface instead... i'll post pictures of that also...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

humber river advocate

here's the full picture

here's the full picture...

broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Just go back and re-post the original picture you posted yesterday, it shows the lip and the landing and more of the riders head. In that picture it looks like a whopping 3 foot jump, hence the Napoleon video.

namagomi
    Witness this grainy image shot elsewhere.

Pretty sure sprockets co-conspirators are covering up an alien invasion.

No. Just No.
    here's the full picture...
    That takes some serious cajones. Respect.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    from lip to lip it's 4.5'.

can we move on now?

nice lil' trail addition BTW singlesprocket
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    I wish I hadn't put so much work into this right before the mod posted. Oh well.

EDIT: Pics removed out of respect to mods who are obviously dealing with some fall-out. They were mostly facetious. I have no doubt that the jump is expertly built (no sarc.) and if SS is having fun building and riding it that is awesome, and it sucks to realize that I am probably contributing to the erosion of his enjoyment. However, in the context of the EC forum, where I think it is safe to say SS has been, at the very least, outspoken about his views on trail-management, I was trying to make the point that as this jump currently sits, it is honestly not a feature I would be stoked to see appear on my local trails. Its scale does not make sense to me, and I feel a roller rather than a gap would open up the trail to a wider range of users and would not strictly enforce directionality (though maybe that is a goal). And all this would be fine, except I do not think that the dimensions of this particular jump would allow an expert to maximize their skills either. Edit conclusion: Construction + Execution A+, Real world usability + Progressiveness D.
    Last edited by veteran_youth; 08-17-2011 at 10:31 PM.

humber river advocate
    lets look at some facts:
    to clairfy this even more look at the cedar tree against the rotor. that tree is about 5' back from myself, the change in the camera perspective makes it look closer. thats an 8" rotor. tree is about 10"-12"s wide... now we got we an item of scale in both pictures. how many tree widths back to the lip? even if we use your minimizing perspective and call the tree 10"... it's about 8 tree widths back to the lip. i'll help you with the math 8x10=80" but lets call it 72' at the landing by the tree. now we can use the same known width to figure out the height, count how many tree widths from the start of the mound where the vegatation begins to the top... by my count is around 6... since i stated the formula above you can do the math.

As you can see my estimation is correct and the attempts to show otherwise as incorrect, you missed the proof that was in front of you and deliberately misinterpreted what i said... since you said (and others on here) in public (at the bike shop and most likely here) that you are blaming me for the banning of your two friends... which i had nothing to do with (the mods did the banning) i would put forth that you and friends are publicly trying to humiliate and harass me at every opportunity on this forum.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Veteran_youth, take that! The proof is in the pudding. Singlesprocket is correct! (Again)

SS, could I have your autograph?..

BTW, for anyone that wants to neg rep me and comment ( ), I got the following already: "open your mind", "singlesprocket is correct", "underlying hostility", "the pot calling the kettle black". Please try and come up with something original, let's keep it fresh!

mtbr member
    Was not disputing your measurements. In fact I think my estimations probably support them.

Was not blaming you for getting anybody banned, just noting that given the current zero-tolerance policy, I did not want to get banned due to a copyright infringement that could be settled with a simple request.

The question that I was posing, is why such an incredible volume of dirt needed to be moved (and wood/rocks cribbed) in order to create what is essentially a drop? I would say that normally, you would expect to be able to air vertically about the height of a jump above the lip. In the case of your jump that would mean about 5' of air above the lip. Now, this does not seem to be possible on this particular jump, unless you were doing maybe 50-60km/h into it, and I am assuming that would put you landing 10 feet to flat way past the tranny. (although I admit I am making some quantum leap assumptions in that statement, that I am sure will be somehow invalidated shortly)

But, I do not know much about progressive trails, I am just a regressive conservative who would prefer to boost a couple feet of air off of an inconspicuous 18" bump rather than move a ton+ rocks and dirt to mark my territory in the forest.

lets look at some facts:
    to clairfy this even more look at the cedar tree against the rotor. that tree is about 5' back from myself, the change in the camera perspective makes it look closer. thats an 8" rotor. tree is about 10"-12"s wide... now we got we an item of scale in both pictures. how many tree widths back to the lip? even if we use your minimizing perspective and call the tree 10"... it's about 8 tree widths back to the lip. i'll help you with the math 8x10=80" but lets call it 72' at the landing by the tree. now we can use the same known width to figure out the height, count how many tree widths from the start of the mound where the vegatation begins to the top... by my count is around 6... since i stated the formula above you can do the math.

As you can see my estimation is correct and the attempts to show otherwise as incorrect, you missed the proof that was in front of you and deliberately misinterpreted what i said... since you said (and others on here) in public (at the bike shop and most likely here) that you are blaming me for the banning of your two friends... which i had nothing to do with (the mods did the banning) i would put forth that you and friends are publicly trying to humiliate and harass me at every opportunity on this forum.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Who got banned? And what for???

No. Just No.
    Who got banned? And what for???
    Who? AFAIK Osokolo, Broken Animator, and Enduramil.

Why? Violating MTBR forum posting guidelines I suppose, although that happens in bunches each and every day on many of the sub forums without people getting banned. Reports of bad posts to the mods was what drew the big brother eyes, but I can't say what the reasoning was in selecting the group of 3 above to be sacrificial lambs. Could just as easily have been other people, but realistically the mods can only scan a very small percentage of total posts, so it's understandable they have limited information to go on and just want to stop the bleeding, so to speak.

On second thought, it may have been the arguing in the "no more arguing thread" that pushed things over the edge. See the zero-tolerance sticky near top of this forum.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Who? AFAIK Osokolo, Broken Animator, and Enduramil.

On second thought, it may have been the arguing in the "no more arguing thread" that pushed things over the edge. See the zero-tolerance sticky near top of this forum.
    LOL arguing in the no arguing thread.

I guess I had missed that people had actually been banned with this draconian posting policy.

I guess I had missed that people had actually been banned with this draconian posting policy.
    nothing draconian about it.

read the guidelines (as well as the Zero Tolerance Policy thread) and keep the posts civil.

"constant and continuous badgering" will not be tolerated.

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    nothing draconian about it.

read the guidelines (as well as the Zero Tolerance Policy thread) and keep the posts civil.

"constant and continuous badgering" will not be tolerated.
    Q: Did user "Plim" quoted in your signature receive any disciplinary action for describing you as a spastic moron with less than desirable olfactory tendencies?

Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Q: Did user "Plim" quoted in your signature receive any disciplinary action for describing you as a spastic moron with less than desirable olfactory tendencies?
    A: Plim's badgering was not constant and continuous...but sadly, is true

Lemmy Rules!
    Some of us should take Chum's light-hearted attitude towards negoative comments to heart. Just saying.
    Strava made me do it....

No. Just No.
    I understand.

The mod's role is generally thankless, and limited by the volunteer nature. I appreciate the effort even if I do not categorically agree with specific moderator actions that are taken.

From the posting guidelines, having people within a relatively tight-knit community such as this sub forum use their "local" knowledge to subtly ride the line of item #7 must present an intractable problem for drop-in mods. Much trickier than the more blatant items #1-6, no?

Evil Jr.

If my math is right (debatable), we're about a day and a half from being back at full complement.

In speaking to Oggie last night, I know he's eager to return. Haven't seen or spoken to Enduramil but I'm sure he's just sitting by the keyboard waiting as well. I haven't the foggiest who Broken Animator is so your guess is as good as mine there.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Haven't seen or spoken to Enduramil but I'm sure he's just sitting by the keyboard waiting as well.
    Endura got mowed down by car last week. Poor guy got banned and run down all in the same week.

I'm ****ing Lucky- BR - North Shore Mountain Biking Forums

mtbr member
    Endura got mowed down by car last week. Poor guy got banned and run down all in the same week.

I'm ****ing Lucky- BR - North Shore Mountain Biking Forums

Im gonna derail this thread for Endura healin' vibes because this thread sucks otherwise...

*please note* Endura does not endorse thread derailments, please do not extend his time out when those sally's cry foul

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by dhpunk~ View Post
    Im gonna derail this thread for Endura healin' vibes because this thread sucks otherwise...

*please note* Endura does not endorse thread derailments, please do not extend his time out when those sally's cry foul
    i like chris and his wife from antigua (correct me if i'm wrong)..

spent some time down there
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

namagomi
    I bet endura was distracted by pining away to post on mtbr and that is why he didn't detect the squid in his Honda civic.

edit: I also didn't notice the forensic identification by veteran youth(subbing in for tom cruise) below...
    Last edited by electrik; 08-17-2011 at 07:10 PM.

poser Administrator
    good god. I was going to come in here and clean up this thread from all the off topic posts etc but frankly I am at a loss.

I have no idea what the issue is with picture and no one seems upset about anything really so just roll with it and keep the badgering to a minimum.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    I bet endura was distracted by pining away to post on mtbr and that is why he didn't detect the squid in his Honda civic.

edit: I also didn't notice the forensic identification by veteran youth(subbing in for tom cruise) below...
    won't hold up in court... see pic

i did make a mistake on the length of the jump... it was 10'

here is the method i used to build it...

"it's a technique i've come up with over the years... though i'm sure it's been done elsewhere. everything rots around here, even cedar. plus dead fall cedar is hard to get ahold of sometimes. so i crib with whatever wood is handy. don't have to nail it, sometimes i use bailing wire i get from the scrap metal bin to hold the logs together. build/crib the feature the rough shape you want. don't worry if it looks ugly or that the logs are not perfect. once you got your rough shape you start filling it with dirt and rocks. sometimes i throw in cut logs. just make sure you have no air spaces and you pack the dirt as you go. once you get the rough shape with dirt, start forming the shape you want with a rake while still packing it down. those rocks i saved i will add to the lip. you might have to reshape it once or twice, really depends on your soil conditions. remember those cribing logs buried, it's acting as a fungus nursery. the mycelia helps stick everything together and makes the mound a very fertiles spot for the transplated ferns, etc. as those logs rot, more and more root networks develop sticking everything together... "

the jump is a filter for the rest of the trail and builds speed for the next feature, thus it has two functions... by the way it is also part of a stacked trail... in otherwords if you can't ride it you can chose another trail
    Last edited by singlesprocket; 08-18-2011 at 04:54 AM.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

humber river advocate
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/28184796?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0&amp;l oop=1" width="480" height="360" frameborder="0"></iframe>

it was a little bit slow and soft out, but no matter... riding was still fine.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!