Waterdown - School me- Mtbr.com
    Perpetual Hack

Waterdown - School me

Interested in checking out Waterdown.

What can you tell me. Have heard that there is some DH, some Freeride and a good bit of general trail riding

Am interested in it all, some DH to session and some trails to explore...
    Hatched in '64
    A Dirtbag since '69
    A Knomer since '07

Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    There is one 'DH/Freeride' line that is very apparent. There are often people out there sessioning it on proper DH bikes.

The main entrance to the waterdown trails is on Rockcliffe road in Waterdown. There is a little parking lot. If you google map it, there are a few of the trails already on there. To hit the DH line, you need to keep working your west. You can't really get super lost. South you go down, north you go up and if you are climbing, most trails funnel back to the parking lot at Rockcliff.

There are also other trails beyond the train tracks towards Snake road, and of course you can ride trail all the way into Kerncliffe park in Burlington. That tends to be an out and back with some pretty solid climbing, especially heading up towards Waterdown road.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Cool, I've never tried the Waterdown trails. I've always heard that you need a local to show you around. Meant to join one of the rides from Bicycle Works but never got around to it.
    I assumed they were around Grindstone creek and Waterdown Rd area. Have to give them a try.

Workin for the weekend!
    Park at Kerncliffe park and enjoy the flattish east side, or park in Rockcliffe and enjoy the hilly west side. Lotsa variety, lotsa chance to get lost. Some good riding in there, but some big hills to suck the gas outta you.

The DH run you seek is at the backside of the quarry, south of where the steam exits. The gap at the end crosses the stream at the bottom, 15' wide over the gully...

To hit the stuff at Grindstone, drop in at the end of Horning ave, past the gate at the end of the road. There is a nice down that will take you into the valley and across the creek to link up into Rockcliffe.
    Todd :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Cool, I've never tried the Waterdown trails. I've always heard that you need a local to show you around. Meant to join one of the rides from Bicycle Works but never got around to it.
    I assumed they were around Grindstone creek and Waterdown Rd area. Have to give them a try.
    To really put together a good loop in Rockcliff, it's best to have a locals knowledge. While i can easily navigate myself through the trails, putting together a 'loop' is challenging. However, as I said before, it's pretty safe to explore in there as finding your way out is easier.

We do some really large rides through the Rockcliff area, along the Bruce and into Kerncliff. Linking all that up can require knowledge of a couple subtle turns. There is also the infamous 'dump run' which is a great trail that makes an awesome loop between Waterdown and King road. It's quite easy to do a 40+km ride through there.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    And certainly the Rock and Road or Bicycle works guys are the ones to join to learn the area.
    Last edited by CptSydor; 01-03-2015 at 02:06 PM.
    Straight outta Rossland

Workin for the weekend!
    Weather really affects theses trails too, the clay gets so greasy when it's wet that it's best to find alternate path. The Dump run and the Bruce (btw Snake and Grindstone) is a mess when it's wet.
    Todd :thumbsup:

Moderator Moderator
    So just how hilly are these trails compared to something like the Hydrocut?

I've never been and am interested in checking them out in 2015. Should I bring a spare lung?

mtbr member
    I would say a lot more up and down. Your legs and lungs will hurt if you're not used to climbing. Lots of steep punchy climbs and a couple long ones. It's tough for someone not familiar with the trails to link up a good ride though. Check out Rock and Road Cycle or Bicycle Works for great group rides.

Perpetual Hack
    Thanks all.
    Something else added to the trip list.
    Hatched in '64
    A Dirtbag since '69
    A Knomer since '07

Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    stew325 is correct. The Hydrocut is relatively flat compared to Waterdown. And be prepared for plenty of roots, the occasional rock garden, and a couple of creek crossings of varying difficulty.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by stew325 View Post
    I would say a lot more up and down. Your legs and lungs will hurt if you're not used to climbing. Lots of steep punchy climbs and a couple long ones. It's tough for someone not familiar with the trails to link up a good ride though. Check out Rock and Road Cycle or Bicycle Works for great group rides.
    Quote Originally Posted by RiotMTB View Post
    stew325 is correct. The Hydrocut is relatively flat compared to Waterdown. And be prepared for plenty of roots, the occasional rock garden, and a couple of creek crossings of varying difficulty.
    Thanks for the info guys. I'll be heading there sometime this year for some suffering.