Warning: Bridges in the Don- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Warning: Bridges in the Don

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but I was on a ride last Wednesday, and one of the riders wiped out on a bridge on Catalyst. The planks had given way and were sagging. A few of the riders inspected the bridge, but there was no consensus around why the planks had given way. Some wondered if there was sabotage, others thought it could be a case of bridges needing some upkeep in the Spring, others wondered if the plank may already have been sagging before the rider hit the board. Unfortunately, the rider in question injured two of his knee tendons in the mishap.

So:

1. No, I am not reporting sabotage, but:
    2. Be careful out there and when in doubt, inspect.

( x-posted from dropmachine.com)

sock puppet

we rode it on Thursday

last week - I guess the following day, including the Catalyst and all it's bridges... They all held up well. I did notice some damage on at least one of them - could have been the one you are talking about...

Plank damage is a freaky accident in most cases, that is hard to anticipate and mitigate...

However, after some recent reports about sabotaged bridges in the Don, I am riding them with some unease...

It is so disappointing that someone would do something like this...

Quote Originally Posted by raganwald
    I don't want to jump to conclusions, but I was on a ride last Wednesday, and one of the riders wiped out on a bridge on Catalyst. The planks had given way and were sagging. A few of the riders inspected the bridge, but there was no consensus around why the planks had given way. Some wondered if there was sabotage, others thought it could be a case of bridges needing some upkeep in the Spring, others wondered if the plank may already have been sagging before the rider hit the board. Unfortunately, the rider in question injured two of his knee tendons in the mishap.

So:

1. No, I am not reporting sabotage, but:
    2. Be careful out there and when in doubt, inspect.

( x-posted from dropmachine.com)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    However, after some recent reports about sabotaged bridges in the Don, I am riding them with some unease...

It is so disappointing that someone would do something like this...
    The sabotage thing last year was very bad. However, although it comes to mind, I personally don't think this was sabotage. The saboteur cut a number of bridges, wrecked others, dragged branches across the trail, and generally went on a rampage. Also, the sabotage was quite easy to detect if you looked under the bridges.

In this case, all the bridges were fine except one, and after several experienced people examined it, there was no clear consensus on whether it had been cut, stomped, failed under the weight of the rider, was suffering some Spring thaw problem, or whatever. I'm inclined to disbelieve it was sabotage. However, the accident in combination with last year's sabotage reminds me that when in doubt, stop and examine.

All that being said, I am not an expert and I don't know exactly what caused the bridge plank to fail.

Members who have read this thread: 0