Visiting Nova Scotia - Recommendations?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

New question here. Visiting Nova Scotia - Recommendations?

We will be in Nova Scotia for two weeks in June on family vacation and I'm looking for recommendations for trails and places renting decent mountain bikes anywhere in the area.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Humm....major areas to ride in Nova Scotia would be around Halifax, Kentville (The Valley) and in Truro.

Just checked the websites of the shops in that area. Cyclesmith - Halifax, Valley Bike and Stove in Kentville and Hub cycle in Truro and none of them mention proper MTB rentals. Might want to call.

Trailforks will be your best bet. Trails are not well marked or generally easy to follow, especially around Halifax.

Fight Trail in Halifax, the Gorge in the Valley and Victoria Park in Truro will be the major riding areas. Not sure where you are coming from, but East coast riding, especially the stuff around Halifax is VERY technical, expect half cross country, half trials riding.
    Last edited by CptSydor; 06-10-2018 at 07:56 PM.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for the tip, trailfork has way more information than mtbproject. I'm in Minnesota, nothing too technical here, so I'll bring my knee pads and worst case just walk half the trail...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pvajko View Post
    Thanks for the tip, trailfork has way more information than mtbproject. I'm in Minnesota, nothing too technical here, so I'll bring my knee pads and worst case just walk half the trail...
    If for any reason you are coming through New Brunswick (driving?), if you are looking for a day of riding, I'd recommend the Fredericton area, specifically MVP (Marysville Place). Should be able to get a rental (or demo) at Radical Edge and they will hook you up with good intel. Good cross sections of trails there and pretty easy to navigate with trailforks. It's by far the best MTB destination on the East Coast.

The problem with the East coast is population density to support well organized, planned and executed MTB trails. Fredericton is getting there, but compared to the Ontario, BC or most places in the US, it's really still a very fringe sport.

I lived in Halifax for 4 years and outside Fredericton 2 years and was pretty involved in the MTB community. People ask me about MTB trips out East and my response is, unless you have a good local connection or are very dedicated to getting in a ride, it's not worth it, especially if you have to rent a bike. I hate to say that, but the NB/NS/PEI is a great place to visit, but not as much with a bike (unless you are riding the Cabot trail).

I don't want to discourage you, but just want to set realistic expectation that arriving in a town, easily getting a rental and navigating a trail system could be a semi-frustrating experience.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    We'll be flying to Halifax so Fredericton is not an option.

I'm old enough to have plenty of experience navigating unmarked trail systems, looks like getting a proper bike could be the showstopper.

Thank you for the great information, exactly what I was looking for.

mtbr member
    I don't have any riding info but do recommend you eat a lot of seafood. The chowders, shrimp, scallops, and lobster are the best I've ever had in my life. On a whole other level of amazing. I'd also recommend renting a sea kayak for half a day in one of the bays. Also if you happen to take the ferry from Portland I recommend you load up Dramamine. Have a good trip.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

trail gnome
    I looked into renting on my last visit to Halifax in 2016 and could not find a place.

If you like technical riding on rock, Fight Trail and Whopper Dropper (if development hasn't completely obliterated it yet) are the trails to do.

You can try asking on this forum:

East Coast Mountain Biking
    Mountain bikers are generally a rational bunch...until someone moves a rock on our favorite trail and we lose our minds - LMN

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Doug at Valley Bike and Stove in Kentville was very helpful, I was able to rent a fat bike from them and had a great ride at the Woodsville area. See https://avmba.blogspot.com/p/trail-maps.html for more info on the area trails.