Vermont and Pennsylvania TR (mini wall of text, many photos)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Vermont and Pennsylvania TR (mini wall of text, many photos)

So after my Western US road trip ( Western US trip report (wall of text, many photos, very little actual mtb content)- Mtbr.com ) I came back thirsty for more travel. I was after more driving and riding, this time solo, so Iíd truly have the freedom to just go at will.

I came to you here on Eastern Canada MTBR and asked for destination ride ideas ( Looking for road trip ideas - What are your favourite MTB destination rides?- Mtbr.com ). You replied and I listened. I set out for East Burke, Vermont for a few days and then Rayston Lake, Pennsylvania. based on various recommendations.

The drive to East Burke was a breeze, maybe seven hours from home. Border had no line and was smooth. Fall colours were at their peak, and the drive got really nice in the southern part of Quebec, then into the mountains of Vermont. Here it was very foggy and apparently it's a requirement for every car with VT plates to have about twenty or so bumper stickers.

I started with Kingdom Trails. This place has it all, a road ride up a mountain, scenic pastoral views, fun flowy single track, easy to tough double track, bridges, pumpy downhills etc all in a single ride. Great staff that will help you chart out a path in this massive trail system. Will definitely return.

Not pictured, but there was a bike work area with a shed with an awesome lineup of Parktools available to use, in a central spot of the network - so cool to see that available.

Next was Highland Mountain Bike park in New Hampshire. Really cool lift accessed downhill bike park. Trails were not-surprisingly a pile of fun. Similar to Blue Mountains DH trails in a lot of ways, but also these were a bit less manicured and more Ďcondensedí. I can see Blues advantage here - that is a hill with not a lot of vertical but more width gets to have longer flowier runs.

From here I drove down to Rayston Lake to ride the Allegrippis trails. A beautiful lake, immaculate grounds, very nice campsites, great trails. Even got to see a bear just outside of the park. This whole park is just stunning. The trails here were awesome. So many trails that just want you to go fast. Didnít seem too hilly at first and by my last day before driving back I was feeling it. (massive understatement). Note this area is a DRY COUNTY OMG WTF..

Why do Americans like shooting at signs so much?!

Drove back home quite satisfied with the riding I got to experience. Thanks again for everyone's destination suggestions, couldnít have done this with you.
    Last edited by Greg_o; 01-12-2016 at 04:34 PM.
    ..now just tinker with our bikes and feed the cats. - oldbear52

Muskoka

Sweet!!!

Great trip and pics Greg O! I'm itching to get back to Allegrippis trails in PA, but gotta get over the Kingdom in VT to check that out too.
    Did you prefer one over the other and if so why?

ps - where did you camp at Burke?

pps - maybe it's a dry county because they like to shoot guns so much!!??
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

mtbr member
    Great report, glad you had a great trip. I've thoroughly enjoyed riding at both Raystown and Kingdom, looking forward to heading back to both.

And I guess I got lucky, my hotel must have been in another county, which was just up the road. I managed to get some nice local beer and had a couple in the parking lot after the rides.....glad I didn't get shot at.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    Great trip and pics Greg O! I'm itching to get back to Allegrippis trails in PA, but gotta get over the Kingdom in VT to check that out too.
    Did you prefer one over the other and if so why?

ps - where did you camp at Burke?

pps - maybe it's a dry county because they like to shoot guns so much!!??
    Thanks!

Preference? That's really tough. The Alligripis trails were a perfect match for what I needed (fast and flowy). You know yourself how fast those trails are. What a blast.

That said if you have a couple days to play with Kingdom is a much larger network, with a bit more variety. Also as others chimed in there's some other great riding spots in that general area, I'm not sure if there's much else around Rayston Lake.

I didn't camp at Burke, the weather forecast was showing night time temperatures just a bit outside of my comfort level, found a very inexpensive (barebones, but clean) motel just down the road. (Lyndon Motor Lodge) The ironic part was the forecast changed and by the time I got to Rayston the temps had dropped lol.

Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    Great report, glad you had a great trip. I've thoroughly enjoyed riding at both Raystown and Kingdom, looking forward to heading back to both.

And I guess I got lucky, my hotel must have been in another county, which was just up the road. I managed to get some nice local beer and had a couple in the parking lot after the rides.....glad I didn't get shot at.
    Thank you

lol oh you bet I drove out to a neighboring wet county, didn't see any thing too local but found some New Belgium beers that were new to me.

Edit - should note, a local shop keeper mentioned that the county was on the cusp of scrapping the dry designation, not sure of that outcome..
    ..now just tinker with our bikes and feed the cats. - oldbear52

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Nice pic's and report, between your words and blackcanoedog's we're for sure hitting Allegrippis this spring for some training and good weekend away.

D
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by osteo View Post
    Nice pic's and report, between your words and blackcanoedog's we're for sure hitting Allegrippis this spring for some training and good weekend away.
    more Allegrippis pics here...
    http://forums.mtbr.com/eastern-canad...5D-928257.html