vanhawk valour, is it a bike or is it a computer,- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

vanhawk valour, is it a bike or is it a computer,

I have been reading for a year or more about this urban commuter with lots of tracking, security and safety features. I am surprised that they are priced about $1,300 to start. I thought it would be much more.

https://www.vanhawks.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ol-crank View Post
    I have been reading for a year or more about this urban commuter with lots of tracking, security and safety features. I am surprised that they are priced about $1,300 to start. I thought it would be much more.

https://www.vanhawks.com/
    An e-bike? Clearly, nobody refers to a Tesla or similar as an e-car, so what non-cyclists know today as "e-bikes" are really just a gimmick of semantics. Perhaps this could be considered as something worthy of the designation.

From the website I can't make out the function of the magnetometer and gyroscope. The ultrasound for vehicle detection has a range of only 10-12 feet which doesn't seem like a lot... maybe these guys should get organized with gopro to integrate a video feed into the detection software as well. I can however see the ultrasound (possibly combined with the magnetometer) giving a clear read on the newly minted 1-meter rule which just about everyone agrees is unenforceable. So that's pretty cool.

Pothole detection, mapping, and optimization? Priceless! I wait eagerly for quantitative proof that the don valley trails are smoother than the paved streets.

mtbr member
    For a commuter bike, it seems pretty nice. Especially the security part about it
    and its not a E-bike just regular pedal power
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

mtbr member
    this seems to be a totally Toronto project and the bike design is by Mark Demenik of Cervelo. I am not a commuter and am not into e-bling but it has some interesting stuff. I know that gps tracker like Bike Hawk are cheap enough, and they are transferable from bike to bike but the alert going to other valour owners is interesting.
    It says that you build up a memory of potholes but I think you have to run into/over them first. Maybe not. But, it is coming to a neighbourhood near you, and although I am not a commuter, with the Cervelo reference, I would like to ride one out of curiosity.