Vallee Pruneau in Quebec. Is it worth a try?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Vallee Pruneau in Quebec. Is it worth a try?

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to ride at Vallee Pruneau in the Eastern Townships of Quebec? I am planning a trip out east to ride Mt. St-Anne and Bromont and was wondering if it's worthwhile to stop at Vallee Pruneau for a day or two as well. If anyone has ridden there recently, what are the trails like? Are the trails lift accessed? What skill level are the trails?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Freerider
    Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to ride at Vallee Pruneau in the Eastern Townships of Quebec? I am planning a trip out east to ride Mt. St-Anne and Bromont and was wondering if it's worthwhile to stop at Vallee Pruneau for a day or two as well. If anyone has ridden there recently, what are the trails like? Are the trails lift accessed? What skill level are the trails?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Hi - I live in the heart of the eastern townships and I've never heard of a place called vallée pruneau, do you have another name for it ?

And as far as I know, bromont is the only lift access biking in the townships.

If you need tips or direction for great xc trails that are not lift accessed and not to crowded, let me know

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nickwood
    Hi - I live in the heart of the eastern townships and I've never heard of a place called vallée pruneau, do you have another name for it ?

And as far as I know, bromont is the only lift access biking in the townships.

If you need tips or direction for great xc trails that are not lift accessed and not to crowded, let me know

That's interesting that you've never heard of it? The first I heard of it was on these forums. It may not be right in the eastern townships, but it's close. A friend of mine in Montreal told me it's somewhere between Bromont and Mt. St-Anne. They have a website (www.valleepruneau.com). Check it out and let me know what you think.

Does anyone else have any feedback?

mtbr member
    I have some from their website.

Begin quote/

Grandes-Piles, Qc
    Wednesday May 5th, 2004

Press release on the situation of Vallee Pruneau mountain bike resort

Vallee Pruneau mountain bike resort want to inform you that due to the situation we are currently facing, we are in the impossibility to continue to operate. A conflict with the actual business partners is ongoing, and we are working to reach a point where this revolutionary project, which already proved his viability, can overcome these issues.

A team of passionate was able to support Vallee Pruneau for the last 3 years. Unfortunately, some of our business partners do not share our vision of the sport. This leads to an issue with the development of the project, and the future of the mountain. Our goal was to create a reference in Quebec not only in freeride, but also in North Shore, cross-country, downhill, dirt jump and integrate everything in a friendly spirit. We built a place where mountain bikers had a strong feeling of (appurtenance) and could ride infrastructure they wanted.

The development of this sport passes by a social implication and not only the private sector. It’s currently very hard for this sport to evolve in a context with so many opposing force, such as high assurance cost, operation cost, trail development and maintenance cost, volunteers availability, land manager approval, etc.

I want to deeply thanks all my collaborators, the volunteers, riders, industry representatives and all the others that made this dream come true.

Martin Lanouette
    Mountain bike passionate, Vallee Pruneau president

P.S. Despite the current situation, we continue to believe in the potential of this under-developed mountain, but not at any price. Keep an eye open. ;o)

/endquote

I suggest you check out the website you posted agaian. Too bad the old site looks like it was fun but insurance is costly these days.

May 2004
    That's interesting that you've never heard of it? The first I heard of it was on these forums. It may not be right in the eastern townships, but it's close. A friend of mine in Montreal told me it's somewhere between Bromont and Mt. St-Anne. They have a website (www.valleepruneau.com). Check it out and let me know what you think.

Ok, I see, it's in Grande-piles, that is north of montreal on the north shore of the st lawrence towards quebec, near trois riviere. that's quite a ways away from the townships that's why I never heard of it

The place looks like it could have great potential, it's too bad it's not running at this time . it may be a good place to look forward to in the future if their project works

If you go to the townships, there's acouple of nice places like coaticook, mt. glen but my favorite place is mount orford, there's miles and miles of superfast singletracks with no one in sight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Ok, I see, it's in Grande-piles, that is north of montreal on the north shore of the st lawrence towards quebec, near trois riviere. that's quite a ways away from the townships that's why I never heard of it

The place looks like it could have great potential, it's too bad it's not running at this time . it may be a good place to look forward to in the future if their project works

If you go to the townships, there's acouple of nice places like coaticook, mt. glen but my favorite place is mount orford, there's miles and miles of superfast singletracks with no one in sight.

It's unfortunate that Vallee Pruneau is closed. Do you know of any other lift accessed bike parks in the area of Bromont and Mt. St-Anne?

May 2004
    It's unfortunate that Vallee Pruneau is closed. Do you know of any other lift accessed bike parks in the area of Bromont and Mt. St-Anne?
    No, sorry They are the only 2 lift operated area that I know of and I hardly ever go to either, I like the less crowded areas and I don't mind climbing as there:' only hills and mountains where I live

keep us posted if there's developement in the pruneau area that you're aware of, it really looks like a cool place

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Nickwood, this is interesting, where do you ride in Mt.Orford?

I'm from Montreal and I ride Coaticook (awesome), Glen (not too good, trails not maintained) and Bromont (great but mostly for downhill).

The only time I went to Orford, it was some kind of double track bike path that links Orford to Magog. In the Orford park itself where there are crosscountry ski trails, riding was prohibited. Is this where you ride even if it's not allowed or somewhere else?

Thanks.

May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BanzaiRider
    I'm from Montreal and I ride Coaticook (awesome), Glen (not too good, trails not maintained) and Bromont (great but mostly for downhill).

The only time I went to Orford, it was some kind of double track bike path that links Orford to Magog. In the Orford park itself where there are crosscountry ski trails, riding was prohibited. Is this where you ride even if it's not allowed or somewhere else?

Thanks.
    I don't ride in the ski hills, i go in the park itself, I take the bike path wich is pretty cool when inside the park but from there, I go into trails that bike isn't supposed to be allowed but for the many many times I have been in those trails, I only see mountain bikers, the only time I had an encounter with an hiker, I stopped to talk with him and he started talking to me about how cool is own montain bike was and that the trail we were in should be for biking because they are so nice and bla bla., maybe some people will think i'm idiot for riding in forbidden trails but I only see bike tracks, not hiking track, I'm sure if I would meet a park ranger ( wich I never have ) he would be cool with it.

I included a map

The green line is the path or trails for biking

the red line is forbidden trails, they are trails # 9, 11 and 10 from the west ( they are the trails that I mostly use )

The X is where I start, I do nice little 3 hour loop including some in the bike path, the red lines as well as 2 milles of asphalt between the ranger house and the ski area
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks, I know those trails...

I do XC ski there also in winter... Next time I'll go in with the bike. I just didn't know if they were patroling and stoping bikers. I guess you're right, there is probably nobody anyway so why not use it for us! Hikers don't go there, they go in on the downhill ski area because the view is much nicer. Have you ever tried the 13, it's one way, not a loop but it should be an interesting one biking....

Maybe I'll see you there one day.

Cheers.

I don't ride in the ski hills, i go in the park itself, I take the bike path wich is pretty cool when inside the park but from there, I go into trails that bike isn't supposed to be allowed but for the many many times I have been in those trails, I only see mountain bikers, the only time I had an encounter with an hiker, I stopped to talk with him and he started talking to me about how cool is own montain bike was and that the trail we were in should be for biking because they are so nice and bla bla., maybe some people will think i'm idiot for riding in forbidden trails but I only see bike tracks, not hiking track, I'm sure if I would meet a park ranger ( wich I never have ) he would be cool with it.

I included a map

The green line is the path or trails for biking

the red line is forbidden trails, they are trails # 9, 11 and 10 from the west ( they are the trails that I mostly use )

The X is where I start, I do nice little 3 hour loop including some in the bike path, the red lines as well as 2 milles of asphalt between the ranger house and the ski area

May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BanzaiRider
    Have you ever tried the 13, it's one way, not a loop but it should be an interesting one biking....
    No, never tried it

i'll try to find it next time

There should be a little more people there in july because of the construction holiday and stuff but I go early in the morning or late after diner in that period.

You know How I decided to go those trail in the first place, me and my budd were parked in the bike path taking pics and talking about going into trails other than the path when this old lady came walking by and overheard us, she stopped and turned around, at this point I was sure she was gonna give us crap for even thinking about going off the path but no, she goes " hey, guys, if you wanna hit nice trails for biking, go into # 9, me and my husband go there sometimes for biking and the trails are nice, don't mind the signs and just go in " he...
    people are laidback when you go deeper in the park