• 03-16-2015
    Enduramil
    Uxbridge Icebreaker Rises Again
  • 03-16-2015
    Face Visor
    Signed up. The private property where it's hosted, Skytop, is pretty cool. I did a couple Thursday night races there last April while waiting for the snow to melt in Durham Forest. Lots of fast and flowy single track.
  • 03-16-2015
    Circlip
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Face Visor View Post
    Skytop, is pretty cool.

Skyloft - some nice trails on the property for sure. They used to hold O-Cup events there some years back.
  • 03-16-2015
    Face Visor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Skyloft - some nice trails on the property for sure. They used to hold O-Cup events there some years back.

It's actually at the similarly named Skytop. Skyloft doesn't really have any mtb trails other than a right of way from Durham Forest to Chalk Lake Rd. Skytop is privately owned and located on Pine Gate Rd, just east of Lakeridge Rd.
    In addition to the couple of Thursday night races last April, Skytop also hosted some high school series races last year.
  • 03-16-2015
    Circlip
    Well, just plaster me with a bunch of totally incorrect stickers! ;)

I'm not familiar with the exact location of Skyloft vs. Skytop. Do these 2 properties connect up at all? Is it possible that when I previously raced with staging areas at Skyloft, that some/most of the trails on the course were actually on the Skytop property?

EDIT: I can see now from google maps that they aren't even on the same side of Lake Ridge Road.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Face Visor View Post
    It's actually at the similarly named Skytop. Skyloft doesn't really have any mtb trails other than a right of way from Durham Forest to Chalk Lake Rd. Skytop is privately owned and located on Pine Gate Rd, just east of Lakeridge Rd.
    In addition to the couple of Thursday night races last April, Skytop also hosted some high school series races last year.

• 03-16-2015
    Face Visor
    1 Attachment(s)
    Just to provide an idea of the trails, here's a screen cap of Skytop from the Strava Global Heatmap. Skytop is on the east (right) of Lakeridge, and the brighter trails to the west are Durham Forest.

Attachment 973472
  • 04-02-2015
    Enduramil
    1 Attachment(s)
    A photo from the 6 years ago.

Attachment 977944
  • 04-03-2015
    pucked up
    I wish they would bring back Hot August Nights!
  • 04-13-2015
    Enduramil
    This should be fun.
  • 04-13-2015
    14Stone
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pucked up View Post
    I wish they would bring back Hot August Nights!

+1.

Just sayin.
  • 04-13-2015
    Face Visor
    Looking forward to it. I've got a shiny new bike I've been staring at for months to try out.

And you can "pre-ride" on Thursday as part of the Durham Forest Thursday Night Series. First race of the series is this Thursday and being held at the same venue since Durham Forest is not quite ready yet.
  • 04-17-2015
    Face Visor
    I rode an abbreviated version of the course last night, 11 of the 15km. The trails are in pretty good shape. Lots of soft spots on the double track that can really kill your momentum, and a few muddy spots on both the double track and single track, but generally pretty good. The course has lots of single track! Much of it is very narrow but not overly technical. Made for a fun, but tough, first race of the year.
  • 04-17-2015
    morkys
    Nice. I bet it'll still be a bit sloppy come ride day.
  • 04-19-2015
    osteo
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

What a race, what a course!!! just awesome!

Getting Chicked by a girl that is probably 19 and I'm 44 sure does teach a bit of humility!! :eek::D:D

D
  • 04-19-2015
    Enduramil
    Icebreaker abbreviated Cliff Notes..

First lap sucked
    Second lap sucked less.
    Primal pizza was good.

Need beer and caffeine
  • 04-19-2015
    want to ride
    Instant Classic
    Amazing course, a pretty cool, laid back atmosphere with a ton of good people.
    It was a treat to ride this course, lots of really long single track section with just the right amount of double to "recover" or refuel...
    If your passion is mountain biking then this is the "must do race" at the beginning of the season I think..:):)

All in all a great day in the saddle, and now time go back to training to get faster and stronger for the rest of the season!
    It is a tall order!!!
  • 04-20-2015
    thedumbopinion
    I think when we look back at the end of the year this will be the best race of the season. It's going to be hard to top. The trails were fantastic, the venue was beautiful and the atmosphere was really laid back.

At the start of the race I was thinking I should have done the 15km version but when I finished the first lap I was so happy to get to do another one. The trails we're so fast and fun.

Osteo don't feel too bad, it only took Soren 20min to catch me and I started 4min before her. Great to see so many fast women in Ontario.
  • 04-20-2015
    osteo
    Thanks thedumpopinion I don't feel so bad then!

That was a good pre-race for me, I'm doing Mohican at the end of May, my 3 laps sure helped shake the cobwebs out!

Doing that race is making me consider the Thursday night series, though... If only I didn't work Thursday nights...

D
  • 04-21-2015
    Face Visor
    I'll echo the sentiments above. I thought the race was excellent. The course was one of the most fun I've ridden, and the atmosphere was quite relaxed. The weather also played a big factor both in the enjoyment of the day, and the course conditions. Skytop is a really cool place to ride, but also just to visit. I really hope that this returns next year at the same venue, and with the same weather.
  • 04-23-2015
    morkys
    Waiting for the results to be posted.
  • 04-23-2015
    thedumbopinion
    Quote:

Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    Waiting for the results to be posted.

Here you go....
    OCA Race Results - 2015 Uxbridge Icebreaker: The Rebirth