Unauthorized trail marking at Glen Major and Walker Woods- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Unauthorized trail marking at Glen Major and Walker Woods

Hello Trail Users in the East Duffins Headwaters,
    It has recently come to our attention (through our contacts at DMBA) that there has been some unauthorized trail marking happening in the Glen Major and Walker Woods area of the East Duffins Headwaters. We have also sent out emails/notices to the Uxbridge Horseman's Association and the Oak Ridges Trail Association (members of our TRACKS Committee). The message below is from our Coordinator in that area.
    Anyone seen the markings, or heard about them?

Cheers,
    Brittany

"The Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) has been very lucky over the last few decades given the respect with which the forests of Walker Woods and Glen Major have been treated. Compared to other natural areas in our jurisdiction, the lands surrounding Glen Major and Walker Woods are rarely met with issues of vandalism, litter or other property damage. We consider this a great service and thank our visitors and trail users for this.

It has come to our attention that this legacy may have been broken to some extent. Recently some individuals have, without permission or authorization, spray painted blazes on trails starting from the East Walker Woods Parking Lot (Towers Lot) to trails near post 18, close to the trail sometimes referred to as ‘The Bobsled Run'.

In TRCA's view, this type of activity creates an eyesore, is disrespectful of the forest, and above all else is vandalism.

I am writing this message as an open appeal to any users or individuals who frequent the area. We at the TRCA are not looking for names, or about pinning this on any group or individual. More than anything we would like this type of activity to stop.

I am asking that the word please be put out that this type of activity is not permitted and that it detracts from the natural state of this very special area. If individuals have concerns about signage, or the clarity of markings on trails in the Glen Major and Walker Woods area, there are appropriate ways to resolve these issues. I encourage interested individuals to contact myself about getting involved in the Glen Major and Walker Woods Stewardship Committee, or about becoming a Trail Captain for the area.

I appreciate all visitors and trail users within Glen Major and Walker Woods help in this issue.

All the best, and see you on the trails!

Adam Szaflarski,
    Acting Conservation Lands Coordinator
    Conservation Land Planning
    Toronto and Regional Conservation Authority
    Phone: 416-661-6600 Ext. 5596
    Cell: 416-936-1258
    Email: [email protected]"
    TRCA
    Toronto and Region Conservation Authority
    Email: [email protected]
    Web: http://www.trca.on.ca/
    Phone: (416) 661-6600

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TRCA View Post
    Anyone seen the markings, or heard about them?
    No. I usually start at Three Rocks and ride past 18, down bobsled on my way to the towers and Durham forest. I haven't been out there in about two or three weeks though.

Why are some of the new trails closed near Three Rocks a couple of weeks ago? Was it because of down trees?

mtbr member
    Why would anyone spray paint blazes on these trails? Ridiculous.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by thewake View Post
    Well... some Toronto trail running group did the same in the Don about 2 years ago.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thewake View Post
    The forums have talked about and hinted at secret private races in the past, so it may be related to that garbage.

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Braids View Post
    Why are some of the new trails closed near Three Rocks a couple of weeks ago? Was it because of down trees?
    The bridge across the creek is being replaced, and it looks like they are doing a short re-route at the west end of the trail.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    The forums have talked about and hinted at secret private races in the past, so it may be related to that garbage.
    Stupid.. not the "training event" thing but the marking issue. I'm a member of Club Fat Ass who put on free events.

Club Fat Ass | Free Events For Active People

First thing I learned from them was if you have to mark use only that which disappears quickly. Basically flour or chalk. Used both in 2006 for the 5 Peaks series course marking and pretty much disappered in about a week. And all organic..

humber river advocate

Idea! what color are the blazes?

is it just a single blaze like a bta route marker or a tag?

could it be a hash mark?...

http://www.trca.on.ca/dotAsset/47434.pdf

any way, alot of people used to dh/freeride/allmountain/dirtbike in that area back in the day... perhaps having a more diversified trail network will stop some of the unapproved activity?
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member

All finished!

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    The bridge across the creek is being replaced, and it looks like they are doing a short re-route at the west end of the trail.
    The bridge is all finished now! Thank you for your patience during the construction period.
    Also a big thanks to the guys from DMBA who worked on the trail re-route!

Before shot:
    Unauthorized trail marking at Glen Major and Walker Woods-p1010306.jpg
    Construction:
    Unauthorized trail marking at Glen Major and Walker Woods-p1010515.jpg
    After:
    Unauthorized trail marking at Glen Major and Walker Woods-p1010580.jpg
    Unauthorized trail marking at Glen Major and Walker Woods-p1010583.jpg
    TRCA

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Oh my, that is a lovely bridge!

mtbr member
    I haven't had a chance to check out the new bridge and re-route yet, but, but ...Ok, I'll say it.... I liked riding the old bridge. It was a technical element and fun.

The new bridge looks nice tho...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the bridge, but I'm kind of disappointed because a trail at Durham/GM/WW has been sanitized again. I'm sure the horse will love pooping all over that bridge.

sock puppet
    thank you for the work, Brittany. Looks great. Don't really understand comments about "sanitized trail" just because of this bridge, as I did not see anything technical with the old bridge, except that it was breaking down.

there is a nice technical "ride around" the bridge - for those that miss the old bridge... just ignore the new bridge...

i really like the way it looks - good work.

mtbr member
    The old bridge itself wasn't technical, it was a bridge after all, but the way down to it and back up was a quick ride over some roots and rocks on an incline, true in both directions. It looks like the new bridge has been elevated to the grade of the trail.

I'll check out the ride around this weekend. looking forward to it.

Again, it is a nice looking bridge. I'd be damn proud if I built something like that...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    thank you for the work, Brittany. Looks great. Don't really understand comments about "sanitized trail" just because of this bridge, as I did not see anything technical with the old bridge, except that it was breaking down.

there is a nice technical "ride around" the bridge - for those that miss the old bridge... just ignore the new bridge...

i really like the way it looks - good work.
    The harder exit and entrance and the uneven features of the old bridge are gone. The breaking down was a nice technical feature especially when the bridge was damp.

Durham/GM/WW has gone through a lot of santization the past few years. I understand there were a lot of poorly designed trails built there in the past, but there should also be some consideration for making the trails challenging for the future.

Where should I voice my opinion about this besides on a public forum with a TRCA rep and through the surveys they offer? I'm not going to get into a long discussion about it at a DMBA trail building day because I'm there to build not yap. It would just create a bad vibe in a cooperative environment.

mtbr member
    Where should I voice my opinion about this besides on a public forum with a TRCA rep and through the surveys they offer? I'm not going to get into a long discussion about it at a DMBA trail building day because I'm there to build not yap. It would just create a bad vibe in a cooperative environment.
    Adam Szaflarski is our Coordinator for that region, and he's working on the East Duffins Headwaters Management Plan. He'd be the guy to get in touch with.

[email protected]
    416-661-6600 ext 5596

Cheers,
    Brittany
    TRCA

sock puppet

i completely understand what was lost

when the old bridge was replaced.

what i was trying to say is that it would have been next to impossible to replace the old bridge and keep the same level of fun with the new bridge.

it appears to me that the old bridge was indeed inadequate. TRCA could have done a patch up work trying to keep the replacement similar to the old one, just built better and more sustainable - but then it would be completely out of their standards - which could be fine but complicates similar projects...

so the new bridge is a compromise and not sanitation of the trail...

now - where i completely agree with you is the trail itself.. we should not be dumbing down the trails to fit our skill level. we should bring our skill up to the level to match the technical aspect of the trail...

i really do not see the bridge replacement as sanitizing the trail. that was my point...

The harder exit and entrance and the uneven features of the old bridge are gone. The breaking down was a nice technical feature especially when the bridge was damp.

Durham/GM/WW has gone through a lot of santization the past few years. I understand there were a lot of poorly designed trails built there in the past, but there should also be some consideration for making the trails challenging for the future.

Members who have read this thread: 0