Types of riding near Ottawa- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Types of riding near Ottawa

I am going to have to move with my work from Victoria, BC to Ottawa sometime in the next year. I was curious are there any DH trails near Ottawa and as well are there many trails with man made features such as Skinnies, drops and jumps?

Thank you for any info people can provide.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Camp Fortune near Ottawa for DH. OMBA is the group for the Ottawa area though I recall seeing another one but I can't recall the name. Alot of the Ottawa riders go to Quebec to ride.

OMBA Main Page

endo.newpublishing.com - mountain biking in and around Brockville, Ontario

Up the valley in Petawawa a rebuilt skills park to open in the spring. There is stuff in Brockville as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks, I checked out the Fortune website but they are only open Wed evenings and on weekends. I was hoping there may be some places near by to shuttle and hopefully some North Shore style stunts and such vice just xc trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Camp Fortune is the nearest place with DH runs, but keep in mind that this isn't BC so the runs are only about 3-4 minutes long. Closest place with decently long runs is Bromont which is about 2.5-3 hours to the east of Ottawa, it's hosted world cup DH races in the past and I think it has the most well developed & maintained trail system.

For man made features there's not much that I know of, Kanata Lakes about half an hour west of Ottawa has a few bridges over the swampy areas and the last time I was there they had a couple small skinnies. But they do have small to moderate size rock drops and lots of rocky terrain to ride on, there's a number of videos of the place if you look around on youtube.

Muskoka
    Victoria to Ottawa! My condolences!!
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thank you for the info. 2 1/2 hours is not bad, Mt. Washington is 3 and a bit and Whistler is about 4 1/2 with the ferry so not bad at all. I am willing to drive to Quebec if there are good hills there.

Trust me I am not happy about being forced to move, 7 more years and I can retire and move back. I will still only be 46 by then so lots of time to still get back in to BC style riding. I am surprised there are not a lot of man made features on trails as they can be built anywhere.

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishtar View Post
    I am surprised there are not a lot of man made features on trails as they can be built anywhere.
    yeah tell me about it, i've seen people get upset over a six inch drop around here. people who support such builds have been branded as undesirable and dangerous. all it has done is driven it underground more which is waste of resources since these people are the most prolific and skilled trail builders. all that has proven over the years is that this type of riding and building is not going away. thankfully there is some change on the way.

anyway enough ranting, my suggestion is find out which bike shop out there supports this type of riding... i think this place is a good bet Home of the Phat Moose
    get to know the locals, help out on a build, the rest will follow...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    There used to be loads of wooden features in Kanata Lakes but most of them seem to have gone by the wayside. Still lots of spots to scratch the itch for drops and steeps over there if you know where to look. KL/South March Highlands doesn't have much vert but the terrain is rocky and technical, lots of fun.

Camp Fortune is really close to town and offers steep and technical, albeit short DH trails. Lots of fun to be had over there though. Plenty of jumps and drops, though nothing like, say, Dirt Merchant or Aline. Camp Fortune "XC" is also awesome.

Bromont is 3 hours away and definitely the best DH hill east of Whistler EDIT: Perhaps I should just say "east of BC" here. Lots of good tech stuff and flowy, jumpy stuff too. It's about the same size (vertical and number of trails) as the lower park at Whistler.

Within 3 hours drive, you also have Whiteface, which is a lot of fun. Big vert (2400') and long runs. Very technical. We've done a weekend trip where we did Whiteface on Saturday and Bromont on Sunday. The drive between Whiteface and Bromont is about 3 hours.

There's a good bit of gravity riding reasonably close to Ottawa and lots of XC riding.

And definitely check out the Moose.
    Last edited by L. Ron Hoover; 01-16-2012 at 09:02 AM.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I am surprised there are not a lot of man made features on trails as they can be built anywhere.
    Welcome to the province of the 3 L's...Lawyers, Liability, Lawsuits.

Muskoka
    Trust me I am not happy about being forced to move, 7 more years and I can retire and move back. I will still only be 46 by then
    retire @46! Are you with the Canadian Forces? My son is with Forces out in Victoria, and he can retire @ 44!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    retire @46! Are you with the Canadian Forces? My son is with Forces out in Victoria, and he can retire @ 44!
    Nice! The earliest I can retire (without putzing up my pension) is 56 - but that was before we had the boy...!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

trail gnome
    The lift at Fortune may only run Wednesday evenings & weekends, but if you don't mind pushing or riding your bike uphill, I think you can ride there pretty much anytime within season as long as no events are taking place; at least on the XC side, not sure about the DH side.

The XC at Fortune is not your typical XC. Some of it is quite technical. Lots of rock. There are a few skinnies & drops to be found on some of the lesser ridden trails. But it pales in comparison to the North Shore stuff I see in films.

As previously noted, South March Highlands/Kanata Lakes has some very technical riding, lots of rock, a few skinnies, narrow bridges, and short drops, but it's fairly flat. The OMBA website has maps, organizes group rides, etc for that area.

About 10k of trails have been blazed at Mont-Sainte-Marie, recently with plans for a 30 to 50k network. It's about an hour north of Ottawa. Not much in the way of wooden features or jumps, but some of the trails are quite technical & steep.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    Yes I am, I wish I had gone to RMC instead of normal university, I could have retired 2 years ago at 37 with a 40% pension

46 is still nice but I will have to chose if I want the cash or to get back to BC as fast as possible.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ray.vermette View Post
    The lift at Fortune may only run Wednesday evenings & weekends, but if you don't mind pushing or riding your bike uphill, I think you can ride there pretty much anytime within season as long as no events are taking place; at least on the XC side, not sure about the DH side.

The XC at Fortune is not your typical XC. Some of it is quite technical. Lots of rock. There are a few skinnies & drops to be found on some of the lesser ridden trails. But it pales in comparison to the North Shore stuff I see in films.

As previously noted, South March Highlands/Kanata Lakes has some very technical riding, lots of rock, a few skinnies, narrow bridges, and short drops, but it's fairly flat. The OMBA website has maps, organizes group rides, etc for that area.

About 10k of trails have been blazed at Mont-Sainte-Marie, recently with plans for a 30 to 50k network. It's about an hour north of Ottawa. Not much in the way of wooden features or jumps, but some of the trails are quite technical & steep.

That would be great if you can ride there on days they are not open. I could take the Rune there and ride up and down then. Hopefully Quebec is not so up tight as Ontario with the drops and jumps, I am just starting to get into them so I want to try to keep progressing. Right now the nearest downhill lift assisted area is 3 hours so I don't mind driving.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    You can ride Camp Fortune anytime in the summer as long as you don't mind riding uphill. Lift days are limited but the place is wide open to ride the rest of the time. Very rocky and steep on the XC side. I'm less familiar with the DH trails but the bits I've been on were way beyond my XC bike/skillset -- so probably just what you're looking for!

Muskoka
    Yes I am, I wish I had gone to RMC instead of normal university, I could have retired 2 years ago at 37 with a 40% pension

46 is still nice but I will have to chose if I want the cash or to get back to BC as fast as possible.
    Likewise my son, same story! He did 3 yrs at Waterloo U first...otherwise he could have retired at ~38 yr old! But often it takes awhile to decide what you really want to do in your life!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hopefully Quebec is not so up tight as Ontario with the drops and jumps, I am just starting to get into them so I want to try to keep progressing. Right now the nearest downhill lift assisted area is 3 hours so I don't mind driving.
    I'd say Bromont is where you want to be.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BQ8DQNPKUqg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And the downhill riding's pretty good too.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/27439333?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="521" height="293" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    I'd say Bromont is where you want to be.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BQ8DQNPKUqg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    I think I can safely add that jump to the list of things I'll probably never do on a bike!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Mt. St. Marie just did some trail renos that are supposed to be good. Maybe another 45 minutes north of Chelsea where Camp Fortune is. Rigaud is about 2/3 of the way to Montreal and they made some new runs this summer.

Kanata Lakes ain't DH and not much in the way of man made anyways. Its good technical rocky riding but the only hills there are the boulders you'll be riding over.

You'll also be within driving distance of Vermont where there are more DH runs too.