Turkey Point - Rideable?- Mtbr.com
    Perpetual Hack

Turkey Point - Rideable?

Just wondering if anybody has ridden Turkey Point yet?
    I've been to Puslinch and it is mint, but looking for somewhere different for tomorrow.(May 5, 2011) HydroCut is still too wet according to the website. Kelso is a bit too far for tomorrow. ( Coming from Tillsonburg )

thank-you

michael

mtbr member
    I would wager a guess that TP is rideable based on how sandy some of the areas around there are. Any of the trails like that which are close to me are more than dry enough to ride.

Moderator Moderator
    TP has been good to go since the first week of April.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Probably wouldn't advise heading down for at least another week or so. High winds coming off the lake last weekend knocked over a lot of trees and branches. Some serious chainsaw work is going to need to be done to get the area back in shape.

rad to the power of sick
    Quote Originally Posted by schwinnson
    Probably wouldn't advise heading down for at least another week or so. High winds coming off the lake last weekend knocked over a lot of trees and branches. Some serious chainsaw work is going to need to be done to get the area back in shape.
    chrissakes. it took 6 years for you to post.
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Ya guys I went to turkey point after the wind and there are a pile of trees down not worth it till its cleaned up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel
    Just wondering if anybody has ridden Turkey Point yet?
    I've been to Puslinch and it is mint, but looking for somewhere different for tomorrow.(May 5, 2011) HydroCut is still too wet according to the website. Kelso is a bit too far for tomorrow. ( Coming from Tillsonburg )

thank-you

michael

jesus. you drove from tillsonburg to ride puslinch?!? is there nothing yiur way?

Perpetual Hack
    Nope, just busted out ATV mud-bogs. If I'm lucky and we have some nice weather they may be rideable by June - assuming the ATVs stay off - so it will be another year of trials moves whilst trail-riding. (Nothing else local, unless somebody knows of something and wants to show me around. Not afraid of a shovel either.)

So, I go where there are rideable trails. Puslinch (1hr)is a lot closer than Kelso or Hilton(1.5hr). Waterloo(1hr) is not yet open... Meadowlily in London is still a soggy mess.(45min) Have not looked at Brantford yet, but Hardy Road(1hr) being on the river bank will probably still be a a bit muddy. Anything interesting in Woodstock(30min) is still too wet to ride. (no idea about the Pines as it requires a club membership)

michael

PS - Ended up in Puslinch again - took a friend out riding and she has been to and likes Puslinch so went out and kicked around for about 3 hours.
    Beautifull Day and Lotsa fun had. ( Except for a flat, then a patch that would not seal - so the third time - new tube installed, problem solved )

mtbr member
    Hardy Rd trails in Brantford are in pretty good shape. Even with the rains only the usual low spots are sloppy. Someone has been kind enough to already have been out with the chainsaw, removing all the winter deadfall damage.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by donny55
    Ya guys I went to turkey point after the wind and there are a pile of trees down not worth it till its cleaned up
    Got a chainsaw to lend there Donny?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RatchAttack
    Got a chainsaw to lend there Donny?
    Hey Ratch if you want to go down there one night I can see if I can get a few guys together to help clean up

mtbr member
    Mykel : Don't forget Fanshawe Lake in London .
    $6 trail fee .
    http://www.thamesriver.on.ca/parks/F...Lake_Trail.htm

www.londonmtb.com

- Craig

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel
    (Nothing else local, unless somebody knows of something and wants to show me around. Not afraid of a shovel either.)

So, I go where there are rideable trails. Puslinch (1hr)is a lot closer than Kelso or Hilton(1.5hr). Waterloo(1hr) is not yet open... Meadowlily in London is still a soggy mess.(45min) Have not looked at Brantford yet, but Hardy Road(1hr) being on the river bank will probably still be a a bit muddy. Anything interesting in Woodstock(30min) is still too wet to ride. (no idea about the Pines as it requires a club membership)
    A non-cycling co-worker pulled an article from a little local paper where she lives for me. The article was about Wildwood Conservation Area, near St. Marys. They had just finished building 25km of trails with the help of IMBA. I believe there's a charge to ride, but there's also a bike wash station so you can clean up for the ride home.
    I looked online for more about it, but didn't find much else about it. Anyone else heard of it? Ridden there? I don't expect to be going there; if I'm going to drive 2 hours to ride, I'm heading to Buckwallow or 3Stage.
    I love riding my bike!

Moderator Moderator
    I'd just like everyone to know that there is now an official club in the Turkey Point area - the Turkey Point Mountain Bike Club.

website - http://tpmbc.ca/

Please keep in mind that the website is still under construction.

The first official meeting and membership drive of the new club will be Wednesday June 1st at 6:00pm at the Turkey Point Community Pavilion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Could anyone let me know where these trails are at Turkey Point? Going out there next weekend and would love to bring the bike and try some new trails!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by broadwayline View Post
    Could anyone let me know where these trails are at Turkey Point? Going out there next weekend and would love to bring the bike and try some new trails!
    First things first - Disclaimer - If you've never been out to TP before and are riding it alone you WILL get lost and you WILL miss alot of the good singletrack. There are over 40km of excellent singletrack riding that is well hidden and is a bit of a mess to anyone who does not know the area.

Best place to start is at the parking area near the Nomandale Fish Culture Station. Drive down Regional Road 10 (Turkey Point Road) south to Charlotteville RD 1, turn left at CVR1 (there will be a sign on your left for the Fish Culture Station, turn down that road). Follow the road down around the bend and there will be a sandy parking area on your right. Start from here and ride North from the lot along the fence and over the small bridge. When you reach the bigger second bridge take the trail that goes straight up the hill after it. Prepare to get lost at this point and have a good ride.

What day are you riding out there? I might be able to give you a bit of a tour.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RatchAttack View Post
    First things first - Disclaimer - If you've never been out to TP before and are riding it alone you WILL get lost and you WILL miss alot of the good singletrack. There are over 40km of excellent singletrack riding that is well hidden and is a bit of a mess to anyone who does not know the area.

Best place to start is at the parking area near the Nomandale Fish Culture Station. Drive down Regional Road 10 (Turkey Point Road) south to Charlotteville RD 1, turn left at CVR1 (there will be a sign on your left for the Fish Culture Station, turn down that road). Follow the road down around the bend and there will be a sandy parking area on your right. Start from here and ride North from the lot along the fence and over the small bridge. When you reach the bigger second bridge take the trail that goes straight up the hill after it. Prepare to get lost at this point and have a good ride.

What day are you riding out there? I might be able to give you a bit of a tour.
    If you can work out a guided tour do it! Last summer My wife and I got the grand tour from RatchAttack, it was a great morning of riding. We would of never found all the trails or been able to stitch them together. Some real fun flowy trails on sandy soil through reforested lands with enough ups and downs to keep you happy.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by smittyway View Post
    If you can work out a guided tour do it! Last summer My wife and I got the grand tour from RatchAttack, it was a great morning of riding. We would of never found all the trails or been able to stitch them together. Some real fun flowy trails on sandy soil through reforested lands with enough ups and downs to keep you happy.
    Hey,

You planning on coming out again this year? There are a few new / modified sections of trail this year, guaranteed fun!

The conditions have been great out here as usual, some sections are getting a little sandier than usual with the lack of rain. Still an excellent ride.

mtbr member
    Eric , Im dying to get out there again .
    Post up some possible dates .
    Maybe I can bring a posse from London out .

- Craig

www.londonmtb.com

mtbr member
    We will be back again for Labour Day weekend again his year. If your around we would love a tour again. I'll bring the post ride refreshments. Hopefully we can set something up closer to Labour Day.

mtbr member
    I'll be back on Thanksgiving weekend. Our family camps together at TPPP every May 24 and every Thanksgiving. Looking forward to it.

Last May 24 I got in a ton of good riding. I made a daily habit of warming up with some climbs on Old Hill road, and then linking up all the singletrack in and around the park. Helped whip my ass into shape.

RachAttack: I'd be curious to what your preferred way to link everything up is?

I usually ended up doing something like this:

Look Out Bluff, down the sand dunes to TP road. Down into the town, did my warm ups on Old Hill Road, and back up onto Front Rd. Cut back into Look out Bluff, and then into the park. Took the Fin and Feather trail to the Fish Hatchery and started on rainbow ridge, and cut into the network of singletrack in there for a big loop. Finished on the other end of the lake bed and came back across the "dam" and back out on Fin and Feather where I linked up all of the "4 corners" trails. From there I finished on one of the park service roads back out to TP road and went south towards the lake where I would finish my route off with the network of stuff on the west side of TP road (the entrance off just as the road crests down towards the town).

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace View Post
    I'll be back on Thanksgiving weekend. Our family camps together at TPPP every May 24 and every Thanksgiving. Looking forward to it.

Last May 24 I got in a ton of good riding. I made a daily habit of warming up with some climbs on Old Hill road, and then linking up all the singletrack in and around the park. Helped whip my ass into shape.

RachAttack: I'd be curious to what your preferred way to link everything up is?

I usually ended up doing something like this:

Look Out Bluff, down the sand dunes to TP road. Down into the town, did my warm ups on Old Hill Road, and back up onto Front Rd. Cut back into Look out Bluff, and then into the park. Took the Fin and Feather trail to the Fish Hatchery and started on rainbow ridge, and cut into the network of singletrack in there for a big loop. Finished on the other end of the lake bed and came back across the "dam" and back out on Fin and Feather where I linked up all of the "4 corners" trails. From there I finished on one of the park service roads back out to TP road and went south towards the lake where I would finish my route off with the network of stuff on the west side of TP road (the entrance off just as the road crests down towards the town).

By the sounds of it you missed some stuff in the park beyond the 4 Corners. I usually start at the Fish Hatchery, ride the Anderson Tract loop (everything north of the Rainbow Ridge), come back out to Finn and Feather, ride it to the 4 corners and loop that then out the singletrack near the group camp and old burn site. A little confusing, the TP club will have maps to distribute soon (I've seen the rough maps and they look great) with all the trails named. In the future the club would like to have all the trails signed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by smittyway View Post
    We will be back again for Labour Day weekend again his year. If your around we would love a tour again. I'll bring the post ride refreshments. Hopefully we can set something up closer to Labour Day.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy View Post
    Eric , Im dying to get out there again .
    Post up some possible dates .
    Maybe I can bring a posse from London out .

- Craig

www.londonmtb.com
    Looks like a Labour Day Weekend ride would be possible. I'm planning on doing my TP "Epic" ride soon too. Ride everything on the East side of the road then cut across to everything on the West side near the Eco Adventure Tours. Usually makes for a long 35km-ish ride.

Lets see what everyone wants to do and make a ride happen.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Turkey Point Ridable ?? It's a GREAT spot for a romp.

My Hats off to the guys that have punched beautiful flowing trails both east & west off Turkey Point Road on the north shore of Lake Erie. The moterized guys had trails farther inland there for years but the steeper terraine closer to the lake shore with lots of ravines, streams, steep stuff & pine forest etc. is as nice as anywhere else in Ontario. All installed by weekend locals who did their homework & should be congratulated. Located in between/behind the Turkey Point Hotel for lunch & the Burning Kiln Winery for tasting after hours you can even bring the women & score points. In the summer of 2011 it's like Kitchener/Waterloo hydro cut in the early days or Barries Copeland forest before the quadrunners widened the trails. So far the eco-tours zip line management don't mind if you park in their lot but it's only a matter of time before somebody will sue somebody & screw that up. Not technical, not challenging for veteran's, but very fast, good vertical flowing undulations & sandy base for when it's too wet everywhere else.( winter/spring)
    Beware of the man eating poison ivy in mid summer.
    I hope I haven't let the secret out of the bag for the Turkey Point M.bike club but you guys deserve to be recognized. FUN FUN FUN !

namagomi
    Turkey point.. hmm i don't remember much - it must have been something in those post-ride refreshments.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

I think I'm qualified to know

If you haven't been down that way in a year or 2 why not check it out. We rented cottages @ TP in the 90's & took road bikes 'cause there wasn't much there accept the ministry maintenance roads in the st williams pine forest. The boys there have been busy since those days & could give lessons on trail flow. No rocks like the escarpement terrain but certainly very very pleasent. Ask the locals to show you -a very friendly bunch.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Does anyone have a trail map of Turkey Point?

Moderator Moderator
    The maps are not available yet, club says they are coming soon though.

Members who have read this thread: 0