The truth about 24hrs of Adrenalin?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

The truth about 24hrs of Adrenalin?

OK, I don't know what the truth is, just wanted to get the attention to the post, really...
    I just got the email from twenty4sports - as many of you probably did - regarding the situation with the August date at Hardwood Hills, and although it explains a few things, from Trilife's/twenty4sports' perspective, I now have even more questions in my head regarding the whole saga. I mean, I'd love to hear the other side of the story - perhaps from someone who's in the know with Chico Racing, Hardwood Hills management, or OCA. In all conflicts, there are 2 sides to the story, sometimes radically different, and twenty4sports undoubtedly told theirs the way they see it. Although I'm not saying that they omitted facts, it's hard for me to understand why certain things happened the way they did. Are we really to believe that all of a sudden everybody turned against them - including fromer employees - for no reason at all, other than hatefull ambition to get rid of the competition? Also, I'd really like to find out more about the litigations Trilife faced in US from Granny Gear; although they do mention it as the reason for their bankruptcy, they don't mention anything about the reason of the lawsuit. I smell something funny here...
    There must be more to the story than is said in that official release. I find it curious, to say the least, that Chico racing would want to push Trilife, now twenty4sports out of Ontario, for no other reason than competition. For the past few years, to the best of my knowledge, all 24hrs events - both Trilife's and Chico's have sold out, so it's not like they were "stealing" prospective customers from each other. With growing popularity of the sport, I think the demand has been much bigger than both of them could supply for together.
    All this leads me to believe that there must be more going on behind the scenes, that twenty4sports are not disclosing in their release. Perhaps the conflict has deeper personal basis, which seems to be supported by the fact that allegedly Adam Ruppel of Chico Racing has stated in the past that he will put 24hrs of Adrenalin out of business...

So I'd like to hear what others think - or better yet - know about this whole situation, so we could shed some light on it. While it's sad that so much politics is going on in our sport, and it doesn't bring any good to it, it is encouraging that twenty4sports are still working to make the August event happen, even if it means a different venue than Hardwood Hills.

Arek

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Adrenaline runs dry on race

By Lauren Carter
    Local Sports - Thursday, July 22, 2004 @ 07:00

Tony Katarynych and his team once raced the trails of Hardwood Hills during the biggest mountain biking race in the world.

An event that saw teams ride as many laps as possible from Saturday noon to Sunday at the same time, the annual 24 Hours of Adrenaline race at Hardwood hosted more than 2,000 participants last year.

But ,this year, the woods will be quiet for the first time in a decade.

“It’s too bad because it was a fun race,” said Katarynych, whose team has participated for the last six years.

When Trilife Sports, the company that organized the event, went bankrupt in December 2003, Stuart Dorland, past owner of Trilife, repurchased his assets and opened another company, twenty4sports.

Kim Viney, owner of Hardwood Hills, said she was told their past contracts were null and void.

“We talked to the bankruptcy trustee several times and were assured... that the contracts were not sold as part of the asset base, that the contracts were not assignable and that our contract was therefore null and void,” said Viney.

“(Dorland) then claimed that he had purchased all of the contracts when he repurchased all of his assets back, and that’s where the problem arose.”

Hardwood Hills rebooked the race with another company, Chico Racing, and Dorland initiated legal proceedings against the biking centre for breach of contract.

That was when Hardwood Hills decided to back away.

“We decided to just stay out of it this year just so we didn’t get into any further conflicts, and then we’ll decide what we’re doing next year,” said Viney.

While the decision was a difficult one, Viney said they didn’t have much choice.

To compensate for the cancelled race, Hardwood Hills is hosting the provincial mountain biking championships in late September.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skihillguy
    Adrenaline runs dry on race

By Lauren Carter
    Local Sports - Thursday, July 22, 2004 @ 07:00

Tony Katarynych and his team once raced the trails of Hardwood Hills during the biggest mountain biking race in the world.

An event that saw teams ride as many laps as possible from Saturday noon to Sunday at the same time, the annual 24 Hours of Adrenaline race at Hardwood hosted more than 2,000 participants last year.

But ,this year, the woods will be quiet for the first time in a decade.

“It’s too bad because it was a fun race,” said Katarynych, whose team has participated for the last six years.

When Trilife Sports, the company that organized the event, went bankrupt in December 2003, Stuart Dorland, past owner of Trilife, repurchased his assets and opened another company, twenty4sports.

Kim Viney, owner of Hardwood Hills, said she was told their past contracts were null and void.

“We talked to the bankruptcy trustee several times and were assured... that the contracts were not sold as part of the asset base, that the contracts were not assignable and that our contract was therefore null and void,” said Viney.

“(Dorland) then claimed that he had purchased all of the contracts when he repurchased all of his assets back, and that’s where the problem arose.”

Hardwood Hills rebooked the race with another company, Chico Racing, and Dorland initiated legal proceedings against the biking centre for breach of contract.

That was when Hardwood Hills decided to back away.

“We decided to just stay out of it this year just so we didn’t get into any further conflicts, and then we’ll decide what we’re doing next year,” said Viney.

While the decision was a difficult one, Viney said they didn’t have much choice.

To compensate for the cancelled race, Hardwood Hills is hosting the provincial mountain biking championships in late September.
    Thanks for answering my post, I was surprised that for the longest time noone had anything to say, and/or there was no interest in the issue...
    I haven't seen the article you just quoted, but I have to say it hardly explains anything further from what I knew already... In reference to the article, I ask again - what was the reason why HH owners wanted the contracts to be void and null?? I mean, how bad the relationship must have been between them and Trilife that they jumped on a chance like that to get out of their commitment? Or, does Chico Racing have something to do with it too?... I know there's someone out there who could offer more insight on this...

Arek

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arek
    Thanks for answering my post, I was surprised that for the longest time noone had anything to say, and/or there was no interest in the issue...
    I haven't seen the article you just quoted, but I have to say it hardly explains anything further from what I knew already... In reference to the article, I ask again - what was the reason why HH owners wanted the contracts to be void and null?? I mean, how bad the relationship must have been between them and Trilife that they jumped on a chance like that to get out of their commitment? Or, does Chico Racing have something to do with it too?... I know there's someone out there who could offer more insight on this...
    This is all private business between the people you mentioned and really doesn't need to be discussed here. HH made the decision that they thought was best for their business, end of story. Why else would a business make a BUSINESS decision?

I actually think it's nice to give the trails a rest for a year so that's a postive spin on it.

OCA has an open letter to Stuart on their website.

http://www.ontariocycling.org/web_pa...ing.php?id=208

Chico's contact information is also available on the net, I suggest you email them and ask their involvement. I am suspicious of your motives and would prefer they were taken to the people involved instead of this forum.

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004

must disagree....

with braids.....

this is a discussion board and should be used as such.... there is no personal dealings here... business is business but we as riders (not businessmen) deserve to know what kind of dirty crap goes on behind the scenes. Especially when it involves such a huge event, which ppl look forward to.

from reading all the releases and open letters I think Mr. Stuart got reamed up his behind.
    OCA and Chico simply put the poor guy out of commision.. all there is to it.

I hope he gets back on his feet
    I Ride, I Know

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TT.
    with braids.....

this is a discussion board and should be used as such.... there is no personal dealings here... business is business but we as riders (not businessmen) deserve to know what kind of dirty crap goes on behind the scenes. Especially when it involves such a huge event, which ppl look forward to.

from reading all the releases and open letters I think Mr. Stuart got reamed up his behind.
    OCA and Chico simply put the poor guy out of commision.. all there is to it.

I hope he gets back on his feet
    Seriously think about it for a second, why would a business NOT want to make money? Spite? Jealous? Why would HH care who gives them money as long as it's legal tender? On the other hand, sometimes the money you make off a customer is just not worth it. It's better for you both to go your seperate ways and this may be the case with HH and trilife/24sports/stuart but it's still a business decision that is better for both people in the long run.

OCA did not put Mr. Stuart out of comission he's doing a race at Ganaraska Forest which will have to be sanctioned by OCA for him to get insurance to do it. Do you know how much trouble OCA would get into if they were trying to run Stuart out of business?

Have you ever had to deal with a company going into bankruptcy and coming out of bankruptcy? It's a freak'n annoying mess for everybody involved, except the lawyers, auditors and accountants who get paid for the mess.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Braids
    This is all private business between the people you mentioned and really doesn't need to be discussed here. HH made the decision that they thought was best for their business, end of story. Why else would a business make a BUSINESS decision?

I actually think it's nice to give the trails a rest for a year so that's a postive spin on it.

OCA has an open letter to Stuart on their website.

http://www.ontariocycling.org/web_pa...ing.php?id=208

Chico's contact information is also available on the net, I suggest you email them and ask their involvement. I am suspicious of your motives and would prefer they were taken to the people involved instead of this forum.
    As TT. has already said it below, I'm a rider, and as a past participant in a few 24hrs of Adrenalin races am interested in what really went on there.
    There is nothing personal about it. I mean, if twenty4sports felt they needed to send correspondence to past competitiors trying to explain the situation, how is it still personal? Stuart's releases were pretty detailed in trying to show his side of the story, which means he cared and felt it was important that riders - past and prospective competitors of Adrenaline events - get the "whole" story.
    However, as I read all the letters, I found that some things were left unanswered, and there must be another side to the explanation, or at least more to it than was offered by twenty4sports. It's hard not to read between the lines and find/ask more questions.

The bottom line is, their business was/is with riders like you and me, and as I (and I'm sure lots of others) looked forward to this year's 24hrs of Adrenalin being held at Hardwood, and hoped all sides resolve their differences, it's only natural that from my dissapointement arose more questions.
    You are "suspicious of my motives"??? What do you suggest, that I'm some kind of a spy with hidden agenda or something? Did you do my background check yet?
    I can assure you that all there is to my motives is a genuine interest, and as TT. said it before, it is a discussion board, and I thought I had a right to voice my opinions/questions; I don't think I was being offensive to anyone either.
    If you disagree - great. I guess I won't be getting answers from you then...

Arek

Looking for Adventure

Customers and sponsors must come first

I hate to sound like I have the answer, but every business needs the same thing to stay alive. They need a satisfied customer and sponsor (investor) base. If you look beyond the politics, drama, and rhetoric, there seems to be one common demoninator: Stuart Dorland didn't keep these people happy. And as such, he lost support. Plain and simple. The most important people for his business, the customers and sponsors, just didn't care much for him any longer. The reasons can be varied, but it doesn't matter. You lose support, you lose your business.

Some hints were there:
    - Last year saw a major drop in rider numbers for the 24 Hours of Adrenaline at Hardwood.
    - Major sponsors (like Sporting Life) switched their alliance to Chico Racing.
    - Riders started questioning where there money was going to compared to the cheaper Chico Racing event, considering that the Chico Racing event gave you more value.

I work in business, and I am in my mid 40's. I saw the writing on the wall 2 years ago. There should be nothing surprising here. If you don't keep your customers and sponsors happy, your business WILL suffer. Competition always has the benefit of exposing how good you really are. Tradition has nothing to do with business success.

I already rode that
    The last time I did the hardwoods 24hr race was a few years ago and overall it was a fun race. The one thing I didnt like about it was hearing how there was like 20 extra teams then was supposed to be and they had to make more room for them. Not that I cared for them making room ( in the fields across the road, which musta sucked!)

How does one go bankrupt yet is able to buy back everything...
    Chico ALWAYS did better races then everyone else in southern Ontario anyways IMHO.
    I never really said anything about this subject but it is a way over talked about thing as it is on alot of boards. Dragging it over to these boards was just a lame attempt to keep it going ( since it died on other boards as it shouldve long ago!)

Did Stuart ever give a response to OCA's open letter?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Idea! Seeking Restitution with Twenty4Sports

If your having problems getting a refund from Twenty4Sports, I'd suggest calling your credit card company. Your may be entitled to a full refund given they are not deliverying the product that was advertised (Hardwood vs. ...). Further, the T&C's you agreed to make no mention of the ability to change venues.

The folks at Twenty4Sports readily admit they are not delivering the same product (which you and I paid for), however, it appears that someone has told them to push back based on their 30 day partial refund policy.