travelling to Toronto, Montreal, seeking advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

travelling to Toronto, Montreal, seeking advice

my wife and I are traveling to Ohio this summer to visit family, then roadtripping our way to Montreal via Niagra Falls and Toronto. I will not have my bike with me or have time to ride. We enjoy walking and exploring the cities we visit to see as much of each city as we can from a historic and cultural perspective. Public parks and landmarks are always a lot of fun, as are the local (vegetarian-friendly) eateries.

Anyone care to suggest some places to see along the way or in those cities? particularly cool bicycle shops where I can pick up a souvenier? thanks!

mtbr member
    A good veggie restaurant to check out in Toronto is Fresh on Bloor and Spadina. There's another one on Spadina south of Queen but I forget what its called. Or if its still there.
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    If you're passing through Hamilton, Hess Village is a great place to stop. Bring your GPS though, there's plenty of one way streets

mtbr member
    The Cambodian Village in downtown Kingston has excellent curries. From there you can take scenic highway 2 for a bit to Gananoque and see some of the 1000 islands. Fort Henry in Prescott is a neat visit. And if you want a BIG stop Ottawa is north of 401. Plenty to see and do there. Trails on the Greenbelt and Gatineau Park across the river. If you want to treat yourself check out Nordique Spa in Old Chelsea (by the visitor centre in Gatineau Park). There are direct highways to Montreal from there or Ottawa.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Once into Canada you really need to visit Niagara On The Lake just outside Niagara Falls, very historic great Inns to stay at and very good restaurants. Google it there will be a lot of info. Liberty! Bike Shop in St. Catharines is a cool shop to check out and along the way. Toronto and Montreal are a lot of fun if you have time visit Quebec City as well. Have fun eh!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    For vegetarian restaurants in Montreal I recommend Aux Vivres.
    Cafe Santropol also has vegetarian options and the atmosphere, especially out back on the terrace is nice.

mtbr member
    From a cultural and historic perspective, Montreal will have the best opportunities. Unfortunately I can't personally give recommendations.

As was mentioned, Niagara-on-the-Lake (NOTL) is a interesting little town with Fort George at the edge of town for historic interests. The town itself is very trendy and boutique, with mid to higher end restaurants and shops. (As an FYI, Niagara Falls and NOTL, from what I've seen are not super vegetarian friendly. Yes all the restaurants will have a veggie burger, pizza or pasta, but nothing the really caters to vegetarians)

Parks Canada - Fort George National Historic Site - Fort George National Historic Site

Of course there are many wineries in the area if that interests you.

If you do a bit of a tour, of what I've done, I've found Chateaux de Charmes gave the best run down of the development of viticulture in the Niagara Region. Henry of Pelham also does a good tour which is more west.

Château des Charmes Wines | Château des Charmes

Henry of Pelham

If you stop in St. Catharines, you can always check out the locks for the Welland Canal.

wellandcanal.com

Food wise, St. Catharines has a great little Veggie/Vegan place.

Rise Above Restaurant | St Catharines

A couple of the former employees spun off a gourmet donut shop (vegan) that is extremely popular and just across the street.

https://www.facebook.com/beechwooddoughnuts

Heading towards Hamilton, which is the Waterfall capital and lots of great green space on the western side of town.

City of Waterfalls - Waterfalls in Hamilton

Historically, Dundurn Castle is your best best in Hamilton. Never been myself however even though I live 1/2 km away.

https://www.hamilton.ca/CultureandRe...urn_Castle.htm

There are some good restaurants that can cater to vegetarians/vegans, but they are a bit more off the beaten track. If you see yourself stopping in Hamilton, PM me and I can direct you somewhere based on what type of food you want.

Burlington has a couple good food places for Veggie/Vegan.

Lettuce Love Cafe

http://www.lettucelovecafe.com/

And their sister bakery

Gluten-Free Bakery Kelly's XO - Best Bakery Burlington

- I leave the locals from the GTA to comment more, but restaurant wise, this place is good.

Hogtown Vegan

And from Toronto to Montreal, Kingston is a midway point and historically significant being the first capitol of canada and traditionally a military city.
    Straight outta Rossland

****** to the dirt
    Well CptSydor beat me to it. As you pass Hamilton The popular waterfalls are Tews falls, Websters falls. Easy to get to falls are Tiffany falls and Albion Falls

City of Waterfalls - Waterfalls in Hamilton

as for vegetarian in Hamilton

Best Hamilton, Ontario Vegetarian Restaurants: Compare 10 Vegetarian Restaurants in Hamilton with 166 Reviews - TripAdvisor
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

9 lives
    Toronto's a big city with so much to see and explore and practically every neighbourhood has good vegetarian restaurants or vegetarian options.

If you want an ecclectic variety then Kensington Market is a very cool, exciting place to explore. It has a great array of good veg/vegan restaurants and coffee houses. It's historical Kensington Market - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Many veg and veg friendly places to to eat but can I recommend Hibiscus Hibiscus Café, 238 Augusta Avenue, Toronto, ON M5T 2L7, (416) 364-6183. organic gluten-free vegan vegetarian desserts ice-cream triple certified coffee The food is very good and reasonably priced

There's a ton of things to see and do: Bikes on Wheels, street art, record stores, vintage (Courage My Love... my fav), street buskers, and celebrity spotting (I have seen many... )

Fairly easy to get to Kensington Market - Getting to Kensington

Chinatown is nearby and it's also fun to explore

Check the link:
    Kensington Market - Home

Have fun on your trip!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Since you are going to Montreal anyways, I'd hit Niagara on the Lake and then skip Toronto etc and head to Ottawa.
    You said
    "We enjoy walking and exploring the cities we visit to see as much of each city as we can from a historic and cultural perspective. Public parks and landmarks are always a lot of fun"
    Ottawa is the place for that - and great restaurants and beer.
    Montreal is a short drive from Ottawa.

humber river advocate
    kensington market is the coolest place in toronto, highly recommended for a walk about. stay away from the tourist areas...

montreal, best place to explore on foot is saint laurent boulevard and area.

Saint Laurent Boulevard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i always hit up saint laurent with side trip for some bagels at Fairmount Bagel - Home

my recommendation is go where the locals...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    kensington market is the coolest place in toronto, highly recommended for a walk about. stay away from the tourist areas...

montreal, best place to explore on foot is saint laurent boulevard and area.

Saint Laurent Boulevard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i always hit up saint laurent with side trip for some bagels at Fairmount Bagel - Home

my recommendation is go where the locals...
    Good to see I'm not the only one that brings bagels home from Montreal whenever I'm there.