Trans Rockies - 1hr Show on Global- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Trans Rockies - 1hr Show on Global

Global had a 1-hour show on the trans rockies challenge/race today (Saturday). There was some talk here about the race, including two riders from Ottawa (mike/fritz?)...thought you may be interested.

If you notice the show coming on TV another day, post the date/time...always good to have some taped footage.

P.S. After seeing the race on TV, wow...contrats to you guys for finishing in it, truly amazing.

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by noonievut
    Global had a 1-hour show on the trans rockies challenge/race today (Saturday). There was some talk here about the race, including two riders from Ottawa (mike/fritz?)...thought you may be interested.

If you notice the show coming on TV another day, post the date/time...always good to have some taped footage.

P.S. After seeing the race on TV, wow...contrats to you guys for finishing in it, truly amazing.
    Thanks!

Yep, Fritz (aka FritZman and I) raced at this year's TransRockies...what an incredible race! Full of highs, lows and everything in between. Truly the race of a lifetime.

Too bad I missed the Global show....but I just bought the DVD. So, if you happen to see it scheduled again, please post here with dates and times.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

Nov 2004

Trans Rockies

Hey

I just found out , next years race will include a 100 plus category, the only guy i would have raced with is up for surgery, if any one is 52 and can still hammer give me a call, I live in canmore AB. I'm easy to get a long with but still hard core, and would go for the win. Fraser

almost there!

I've talked to a few people who've done it...

... and I think I might do it myself next summer or the summer afterwards.

It's quite a challenge and takes some serious training to prepare for. Doing the O-Cups will help prepare but the Trans-Rockies is a much slower long distance type of riding. My friends were saying their days of riding were around 6-7 hours each day.

Just think when you're an old geezer you can tell your grandchildren that you rode across the rockies when you were a young strapping lass! Hell maybe you'll still be riding it when you're in your 60s?

http://www.transrockies.com/

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ541
    ... and I think I might do it myself next summer or the summer afterwards.
    Having done the '04 TR, I'd say, without a doubt: "Do it!"

Fritz and I had a blast at the race with plenty of ups and downs and everything in between. It really was an experience of a lifetime...one that I hope to repeat sometime, but not next year.

It's quite a challenge and takes some serious training to prepare for. Doing the O-Cups will help prepare but the Trans-Rockies is a much slower long distance type of riding. My friends were saying their days of riding were around 6-7 hours each day..
    O-Cups are nothing like a day in the TR. Not even close! Having raced O-Cups, Q-Cups, C-Cups and the World Master's at Bromont, I can say that I've never raced anything quite like TR.

As you indicated, days in the TR are long and tedious. Both physically and mentally draining. Quick, 2-hr O-Cups are not condusive to the racing you'll do at TR. Don't get me wrong, there are still lots of benefits to racing O-Cups, but you'll need to really focus on building and maintaining a strong endurance. Something you can only get with logging lots of miles. Fritz and I both raced solo at the 8-hr Epic and I also did the 24 Hrs of Summer Solstice solo, as a prep for TR.

Plus, you'll need lots of hills. Lots of steep hills. Plus, throw in some hills that are long, gradual, never-ending, false-flat, false-top, energy-sapping gravel access road climbs followed by some very twisty, technical steep singletrack climbing and then throw in some baby-heads and very jagged rocks into the climb. Oh, and this was just one Day. But, once you get to the top...it's incredible!

Just think when you're an old geezer you can tell your grandchildren that you rode across the rockies when you were a young strapping lass! Hell maybe you'll still be riding it when you're in your 60s?
    That's my plan!
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Trans Rockies

I have so got to plan to do that puppy one day... But for now, I'm just happy to be in the saddle!

What type of preperation do you need to undertake to successfully ride the TR? How about support, what minimum do you need? How hard is the TR on bikes? Would it be okay to ride a hardtail, or is FSR a better idea? What basic level of mechanical knowledge would be required?

...Okay... I'll shut up now...
    If you're ever in Calgary, here are the bike shops I like:
    Single Track Cycle
    The Bike Shop
    Calgary Cycle

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by Th' Mule
    I have so got to plan to do that puppy one day... But for now, I'm just happy to be in the saddle!

What type of preperation do you need to undertake to successfully ride the TR? How about support, what minimum do you need? How hard is the TR on bikes? Would it be okay to ride a hardtail, or is FSR a better idea? What basic level of mechanical knowledge would be required?

...Okay... I'll shut up now...
    Preparation for me was just lots of riding...lots of riding. I did a few pre-season rides (cold winter days) with Fritz on some gravel roads he often does a loop on. This help prep'd us for long days in the saddle on the gravel access roads. Plus, we both did the 8-hr Epic solo and I also did the 24 hrs solo.

Support...we didn't have any or bring any, short of some tools and some extra bike parts. There's a neutral support tent area where you can buy parts and either have them install them or you did it. I pretty much wrenched on my own bike after each day with some basic lube, etc.

How hard is TR on bikes? Well, I saw a few cracked frames...one of which was a Blur. Plus, a few busted forks. One guy had to replace his UK-made Pace with a Fox F80X...that could not have been cheap!

Lots of brake pads were consumed during the race. In fact, I believe the Shop bought the entire Shimano Canada stock, plus the USA. It was crazy! Fortunately, I had plenty of spare pads. But, I did have to give a set of pads to Cristina Begy after Day 2. She was nice enough to send me some extra pads and some additional swag after the race...thanks, Cristina!

Interesting question: HT vs FS-XC. I bought a FS-XC (RX-100) for the race, but for other races as well, but it's first goal/challenge was TR. I also have a Ti HT SS, but also had a geared Ti HT for several years.

So, having ridden both, there are definitely advantages to both. There is lots of long, gravel access road climbs, plus some paved areas, where the HT would definitely be better. But, then there are the very technical and rocky climbs and equally technical, fast and twitchy descents where a FS-XC really shines.

Fritz was on a C-Dale Scalpel and it seemed to be a good compromise...granted, he did have some issues with it during and after the race...I'll let him add to this.

Level of mechanical knowledge would be moderate. Essentially, you are on your own from the time you leave the Start until you cross the Finish after 4-8 hrs. You need to have the tools and know-how to get your bike up and running again after a mechanical. Otherwise, you DNF.

On Day 3, I wrapped my rear X0 rear derailleur into my spokes after hitting a particularly sticky muddy section. Fortunately, I had a spare hanger and I was able to remove the old bent hanger and replace it within a couple of minutes and was back-up and riding...actually, we ended-up walking the entire 8km mud section because it just was not rideable. We had to carry our mud-encrusted bikes on our shoulders for 8km because the mud was so thick and sticky, wheels could not spin between the fork legs and stays. Then, we had to hike-up an incredible seismic climb!
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)

Members who have read this thread: 0