Trails in Ottawa/Gatineau area?- Mtbr.com
    don't stop
    Mar 2009

Trails in Ottawa/Gatineau area?

I'm going to be staying in the Ottawa/Gatineau area for a week in the middle of May. I'll be close to Mont Cascades ski hill and Gatineau Park, but have a vehicle so can easily drive to trails.

Other than Camp Fortune and Kanata Lakes, what is out there? Is there any singletrack in the Gatineau area open to cyclists?

Also, I have a dog who runs along with me while I ride. Will that be a problem at any of these spots?

Many thanks,

RBR

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    There is some more singletrack on the Quebec side but it's tough to find and easy to get lost. If you're just here for a week, you might be better off sticking to KL and Fortune.

You can take your dog to Kanata but not the Gatineau park unfortunately.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Any recommended trails at KL or GP? I live locally and haven't made it out to either yet.

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    In KL start at Klondike and Second Line (K2) or Goulbourn Forced Road parking lot (GFR) and just ride in anywhere from there and it's awesome. Very technical. You'll probably get lost though. Your best bet to get to know the trails in there is to go to an OMBA group ride held on Thursday nights. All abilities show up, everyone is welcome.

As for the park, that depends on what kind of riding you like. Technical? Camp Fortune for sure. Just head up the CBC climb (gravel road in the back) and take any trail down. Lots of fun. If you race, there are XC races every second Wednesday here starting at the end of May.

Again in the park - If you like double track and climbing, the #15 is pretty good starting from Gamelin parking lot, you can make it into a loop heading to Pink Lake. And there's always Ridge Road (#1) which is a bit boring but I sometimes like to ride to the firetower from P7. Also starting at O'Brien (P11 I think) and doing the big loop out to Wakefield is good too (#36, 52, 55 etc.).

Enjoy!

don't stop
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by VVagabond
    There is some more singletrack on the Quebec side but it's tough to find and easy to get lost.
    Thanks - Can you at least point me to a trail head? I'm ok with getting lost - that is part of the fun. I'm up for an adventure, and usually bring a GPS with me anyways.

RBR

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by runbaileyrun
    Thanks - Can you at least point me to a trail head? I'm ok with getting lost - that is part of the fun. I'm up for an adventure, and usually bring a GPS with me anyways.

RBR
    I'll pm you.

trail gnome
    The Gatineau Park trails are not officially open to mountain biking until May 15th, and I'm told the bylaw officers are particularly vigilant about enforcing that. You wrote "middle of May", so I thought I'd mention it. If you are here from the 15th on, then it's not an issue.

But if you want to bring your dog, you'll have to take a pass on Gatineau Park (and Fortune too I think) anyway. Kanata Lakes... dog... no problem. Gatineau Park is almost entirely double track non-technical anyway. Not very fun unless you are looking for a climbing workout. If you're looking for technical singletrack, then Kanata Lakes is the ticket. Or Camp Fortune.

Cheers!

Ray

don't stop
    Mar 2009
    Many thanks guys. I'll actually be there the week of the 9-16. I figured Gatineau would be out because of the dog, but apparently also because of the date. I've raced at Camp Fortune a couple times and will have to check them about the dog, but never been to Kanata Lakes so that sound like where I'll be headed for sure.

Cheers,

RBR

Members who have read this thread: 0