Trail Suggestions for the Hamilton Area- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Trail Suggestions for the Hamilton Area

I am visiting family in Ontario in mid-August. I'll be in the Hamilton area for a couple days, and then up by Lake Rosseau for 4-5 days.

Looking to check out the local MTB trails. I am an XC rider, and would prefer some singletrack with a mix of flowy and technical areas.

After a quick search I found these trails. Thoughts?

Hamilton Area
    Puslinch near Cambridge
    Dundas Valley Trail System
    Guelph Lake

Lake Rosseau Area
    Buckwallow

Would it be worth it to drive over to Waterloo/Kitchener, or maybe closer to Toronto? Any help is appreciated.

mtbr member
    If you are looking for solid singletrack, have access to car, I wouldn't waste your time in Hamilton. There is good riding, but unless you know where you are going, or have a guide, you'll just being riding gravel for the most part.

So if you have access to a car. Easiest things would be find your way to Punslinch, Kelso Conservation Area or Waterloo hydrocut (all within 1hr - 1:15 driving). Pretty easy to just park and ride without knowing your way around too much. All have nice trail.

Evil Jr.
    What a coincidence, I got an e-mail from a guy in Michigan asking almost the same exact question last night!

Here's what I wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    You're in luck. There's tons of great riding in and around Hamilton. In Hamilton, there are two main trail intersections: Dundas Valley Conservation Area and King's Forest (you can find them both using Google maps). In Dundas (my town, just outside of Hamilton) there's also a great cycling-themed cafe called Cafe Domestique (you can find them on Facebook).

If you're willing to do a little bit of driving, my favourite trails are just about 45 minutes away. The first is called Puslinch (you can find the location here: http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/trails-ar...0_4528crx.aspx) and it's a great technical place to ride. The second is called Hydrocut (http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/trails-ar...1_4528crx.aspx) and it's more of an IMBA-style flowy trail.

There's a lot more but that's a good start. Enjoy your visit!

Marc
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I will have access to a car. Sounds like I'm driving north a little to Puslinch and Hydrocut.

Still debating whether to bring my own bike or rent. How is the rental situation around these trails? Would be most likely be looking for a FS 26. Thanks!

Evil Jr.
    Your best bet for rentals is Freewheel Cycle in Dundas. Linky: http://www.freewheelcycle.com/?page_id=2140
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    So I am going to try to ride Hydrocut this Thursday. I will be driving from Etobicoke in a small car. I need to rent a bike as close to the trails as possible. Anything close enough(5km or less) to ride to the trails?

What would you guys recommend for bike rentals in the Kitchener area? Thanks!

Evil Jr.
    Freewheel might still be your best bet for a rental. I can't think of any shops in KW or Guelph that rent.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Yeah I looked around online, couldn't really find anything promising. Thanks GM.

Evil Jr.
    Have a great time at Hydrocut! There are maps near both parking lots and another somewhere near the middle. You can't really get very lost though since it's almost entirely one-way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Bicycleworks in Waterdown would very likely loan you a bike for a ride or two. Also, the local trails in the Waterdown area are awesome (OK I am biased, I live here), if you like technical, rooty climbs and descents, with the odd log over and rock garden thrown in. Makes for a great workout.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The Hydrocut trail is definitely one of the best around KW.
    There is also a really good trail I found near Stratford, called Wildwood Lake Conservation area. I think the day pass for bikers s $6 and they have a trail around the lake that is about 25km long. Really nice trail with some technical climbs and some smaller trails off of the main trail for some more technical stuff. Right at the entrance of the park there is a map of the trail and a pocket size map you can take with you, there is also a bike wash station, something I have not seen in parks before

If you go to waterloocyclingclub dot ca you can download a map of the Hydrocut trail. Unfortunately I can not post the link to it yet.

Enjoy the ride !

Workin for the weekend!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiotMTB View Post
    Bicycleworks in Waterdown would very likely loan you a bike for a ride or two. Also, the local trails in the Waterdown area are awesome (OK I am biased, I live here), if you like technical, rooty climbs and descents, with the odd log over and rock garden thrown in. Makes for a great workout.
    I'll second that, Paul is a pretty good guy to deal with. Both ends of Waterdown have decent trails, Rockcliffe & Kerns. Always challenges me.