Trail Building in Waterdown- Mtbr.com

Apr 2005

Trail Building in Waterdown

I was in there last weekend pushing my bike through the snow and noticed that someone has been doing some touchup work (ie. removing a fallen tree from an old log bridge). I've been wanting to get in there and work on some new stunts or even start a new line with some flowing stunts but it takes alot of work. I'm loving the existing stuff but wouldn't feel right without contributing some of my own time. Anyone out there doing the work now that I can hook up with or anyone want to give me a hand?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.8m/s2
    I was in there last weekend pushing my bike through the snow and noticed that someone has been doing some touchup work (ie. removing a fallen tree from an old log bridge). I've been wanting to get in there and work on some new stunts or even start a new line with some flowing stunts but it takes alot of work. I'm loving the existing stuff but wouldn't feel right without contributing some of my own time. Anyone out there doing the work now that I can hook up with or anyone want to give me a hand?

I would be really careful about building anything in the Waterdown area. It is a hiking area/splinter of the Bruce Trail and as such, it is usually hikers doing the cleanup work.
    Building unsanctioned stunts could be disastrous to access rights.
    If I’m not mistaken there are signs posted (or at least there was last year) against stunt building.

Your best bet is to contact IMBA and get their opinion; or hook up with the guys from Bicycle Works in Waterdown (on Dundas St) and see if they want to help.
    this space left intentionally blank

banned
    Feb 2005
    Nice info SSteel.
    Singletracks are hard to Insure.
    Stunts are best biult away from hiking eyes.

mtbr member
    There are 2~3 groups building in Waterdown, I can get you in touch with one of them.

The lands are a mix of Township, Conservation area and private, but recently a large portion of the township lands have been transfered over to conservation. This may cause some issues with trail maintenance/building, as alot of the old trails are now conservation.

Last year, one of the groups cut down some live trees to build stunts - this was not a good move, and has cause some issues with the Conservation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable
    Last year, one of the groups cut down some live trees to build stunts - this was not a good move, and has cause some issues with the Conservation.
    Were they fĂșcking high when they did that?

Were these people associated with any shop, club or group?

Apr 2005
    Whoa Whoa Whoa there guys. Nobody is trying to take the life of any innocent trees here. I just want to have some fun on my bicycle. I wasn't aware of the sensitivity of this issue and wouldn't do anything to jeopordize the trails that we all love and enjoy. Someone has done some work in there... I just wanted to add to the area.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.8m/s2
    Whoa Whoa Whoa there guys. Nobody is trying to take the life of any innocent trees here. I just want to have some fun on my bicycle. I wasn't aware of the sensitivity of this issue and wouldn't do anything to jeopordize the trails that we all love and enjoy. Someone has done some work in there... I just wanted to add to the area.

Sorry, didn't mean to come across heavy handed.

The Bicycle Works guys would be my 1st stop, they are only a few KM away and will likely have their fingers on the pulse of the area. I'm sure they will welcome another set of hands.
    this space left intentionally blank

banned
    Feb 2005
    9.8m/s2 MTBing is becoming more mainstream. We now have GTA Lawyers who are helping us get things all screwed up. It sucks, get info.

Boring stuff, but real.
    www.ontariotrails.on.ca/insurance.htm

Much better reading
    bike
    May 2005
    in the loops

My favorite quote
    Brett Tippie "We created a monster"
    Long Live Long Rides, I hope.

Apr 2005
    Yeah you're right. That reading is a little dry. I guess I'll look for that article in Bike when it comes in. I wonder how the trail builders are getting away with all those stunts on the North Shore. I suppose its a question of who owns the land. Where do they get the money to cover the insurance.
    In the case of Waterdown: if, in fact it is Township land, then the Township would be liable for any claims made by an injured rider. Most definately they would close the trails to public access at that point. Do they monitor what goes on in the forest there or what?? I'm complexed a little over this. I can't relate to holding someone responsible for ME riding MY bike off a ten foot drop and smashing my face open on a tree but I know that it happens. It is not always the individual that files the claim though.
    I am a competitive water skier and have been my whole life. There was an incident at a National Championships a few years ago when a competitor severed his spinal cord in a jump skiing accident and was paralyzed from the neck down. It was not him, personally, that was driving the investigation into the incident, but his insurance provider. They wanted to find someone to point a finger at to take the blame and subsequently bear the financial responsibility of the accident. What a mess. And I understand that Blue Mountain is going through a similar investigation right now.

banned
    Feb 2005
    Thanks for the waterski story, it seems that everyone thinks sueing is wrong yet we are all still threatened by it.

Bike story is the best i have ever read. cool pics, Canadian Lads, Big air and no HOT AIR.
    Noelle Kekula recreation officer for B.C. says " Mountain bikers don't come to us unless we find them. They like to be underground. There are trails and stunts everywhere." She states that it's not illegal to ride them. It's just illegal if you get caught making them, or get caught fixing them up.

Heard that before. Excuse me dirty guys why do you have rakes in this beautiful forest? O well me and my friend Braids were just looking for some mushrooms, Sir, thats not illlegal is it?