Trail Advice Needed - Albion Hills- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Trail Advice Needed - Albion Hills

My wife wants me to take her to Albion Hills for some "easy" mountain biking tomorrow. She is very fit and strong, can handle most hills I can, but she doesn't like anything technical. I think the black single track will be too difficult for her. Part of the problem is she is riding my 15 year old Trek MTB which is way too big for her. Question:
    1) Is there a recommended trail for a novice rider like her? I know there is black double-track, red, and blue trails, in addition to the single track. Any recommendations on which ones are good for her?
    2) To give her a taste of black single track, are there any sections that are easier for the less experienced rider like her?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Take her on some of the single track and just go slow. If she has too, then get off and walk over anything too difficult. Now for the other part of the problem. Why is she riding a hand-me-down bike that is way too big for her. You do want her to enjoy the ride, don't you? Get her a proper sized bike and she'll enjoy the experience lot more. Sorry but its a pet peeve of mine. Used to work at a sports store and would watch a couple come in and but some sort of sports equipment. He would buy top of the line stuff and she would get the cheap stuff. Then the husband could never figure out why she didn't like the sport any more.
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

All my faucets is Moen.
    The topic was brought up a few weeks ago. The threads may have spiraled into useless conversation but there is relevant information in the first bunch of replys. Enjoy your ride!

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ghlight=Albion

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ghlight=Albion

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgage View Post
    Now for the other part of the problem. Why is she riding a hand-me-down bike that is way too big for her. You do want her to enjoy the ride, don't you? Get her a proper sized bike and she'll enjoy the experience lot more. Sorry but its a pet peeve of mine. Used to work at a sports store and would watch a couple come in and but some sort of sports equipment. He would buy top of the line stuff and she would get the cheap stuff. Then the husband could never figure out why she didn't like the sport any more.
    Actually, I agree with you. She doesn't like spending $. What else can I say? I have near $5K invested between my Anthem MTB and Specialized carbon Roubaix roadie, plus all the accesories and clothes. I have offered to buy her a new bike, brought her into LBS many times, but she just hasn't bitten. Yet she loves riding this thing with me every weekend. Go figure!

mtbr member
    the trail markings have changed.
    the single track is now a light orange arrow.

sock puppet
    she is a keeper anyway... she wants to get out and ride with you - that is what counts... when she is ready, she will get a properly sized bike...

don't bother yourself with thinking about how difficult it is to ride at Albion... 95% of the trails are not technical if you adjust the speed to the level of your comfort... as she feels more comfortable - increase the speed for more fun...

just go out and enjoy it... Albion Hills is a perfect trail for her to improve her skills while having fun at it...

let us know how it goes...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    she is a keeper anyway... she wants to get out and ride with you - that is what counts... when she is ready, she will get a properly sized bike...

don't bother yourself with thinking about how difficult it is to ride at Albion... 95% of the trails are not technical if you adjust the speed to the level of your comfort... as she feels more comfortable - increase the speed for more fun...

just go out and enjoy it... Albion Hills is a perfect trail for her to improve her skills while having fun at it...

Good advice Ososkolo, and thanks thedumbopinion for the links. Now I think now I'll just take her on the "orange" single track and let her go at her own speed, and see what happens. She'll be a'cursin' me when she gets onto Tea Cup, that's for sure. But there is always the option to walk.

I never tried the blue and red trails, except where they merge with the main single track trail, but I think they would be too boring (like Caledon Rail Trail that bored her to tears). Single track it is then.

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hundminen View Post
    She'll be a'cursin' me when she gets onto Tea Cup, that's for sure.
    Or you have the option to just skip Tea Cup altogether, if it's of particular concern. You'll be back on the same route anyhow after bypassing it.

namagomi
    Don't take her onto tea-cup if she is a flat-out beginner. She'll just end up walking.

If you want there to be a second ride, remember to play it by ear!

mtbr member
    Actually, I agree with you. She doesn't like spending $. What else can I say? I have near $5K invested between my Anthem MTB and Specialized carbon Roubaix roadie, plus all the accesories and clothes. I have offered to buy her a new bike, brought her into LBS many times, but she just hasn't bitten. Yet she loves riding this thing with me every weekend. Go figure!
    Lol.. thats cool! ..Maybe you should just surprise her with one
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have not ridden the Tea-Cup trail at Albion. I have read on here of several warnings or folks alluding to the difficulty of that trail. What is it about Tea-Cup that warrants the warnings?

Steve

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Well, here is the update. We got through Goat Path, but there was a lot of 4-letter expletives coming from behind me, although she insisted she was fine since she was walking more than riding. I recognized this was one of those situations I was going to somehow pay for later, so I told her we needed to take the red trail in order for her to get her cardio workout. So we did one and a half times around on the red, and she was quite happy with that.

I guess tomorrow it's back to the Caledon rail trail.

Thanks all for the advice!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudhead View Post
    I have not ridden the Tea-Cup trail at Albion. I have read on here of several warnings or folks alluding to the difficulty of that trail. What is it about Tea-Cup that warrants the warnings?

Steve
    From what I remember, Tea-Cup has a couple of nice but bumpy and loose descents which take some skill to get through. For novice bikers it is a little intimidating.

sock puppet

tea cup is a very short singletrack that includes

roots, tight turns with change of elevation (going down), a bit rough (due to roots) and ends up with a rutted short descent where you can't go too fast, that changes to a short climb after you hit the bottom and around a corner - for which you have to be in the right gear...

Funny that this trail is getting warnings from people who advocate Albion Hills as "kiddy pool", and I do not really consider it anything specially difficult.

If you adjust your speed to the level of your ability - it is a fun trail with no issues...

I don't find it's level of difficulty any higher than for example - Imba trail...

Quote Originally Posted by Mudhead View Post

Steve
    Last edited by osokolo; 07-09-2011 at 08:13 PM.

namagomi
    roots, tight turns with change of elevation (going down), a bit rough (due to roots) and ends up with a rutted down where you can go too fast that changes in short climb after you hit the bottom - for which you have to be in the right gear...

Funny that this trail is getting warnings from people who advocate Albion Hills as "kiddy pool", and I do not really consider it anything specially difficult.

If you adjust your speed to the level of your ability - it is a fun trail with no issues...

I don't find it's level of difficulty any higher than for example - Imba trail...
    Nothing strange about it, very inexperienced mountain bikers need to be properly prepared to enter the "kiddy pool" just like somebody will have to prepare you for the big jump out of the kiddy pool... when you're ready of course and counting on there still being something bigger for you

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    Nothing strange about it, very inexperienced mountain bikers need to be properly prepared to enter the "kiddy pool" just like somebody will have to prepare you for the big jump out of the kiddy pool... when you're ready of course and counting on there still being something bigger for you
    or the bunny hill...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

sock puppet

hmm, I guess your wife needs more

saddle time.

Maybe Albion Hills is not a "kiddie pool" after all - for everyone...

I hope you both had enough fun together, to come back again and work on skills...

Well, here is the update. We got through Goat Path, but there was a lot of 4-letter expletives coming from behind me, although she insisted she was fine since she was walking more than riding. I recognized this was one of those situations I was going to somehow pay for later, so I told her we needed to take the red trail in order for her to get her cardio workout. So we did one and a half times around on the red, and she was quite happy with that.

I guess tomorrow it's back to the Caledon rail trail.

Thanks all for the advice!

sock puppet

not interested in dirt jumping.

Or gravity rolling down the hill... Thank you.

Looking forward to having some fun on the rock at Buckwallow tomorrow. Now if you excuse me - you two can have some fun together, but I have to get some beauty sleep.

Good night, and behave...

Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    just go buy her the bike yourself...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    What if you take her to a location that rents bikes. I only know of Hardwood Ski and Bike mind you. Rent her a better fitting bike and her level of enjoyment might go up even more. They have a fleet of Trek 6000 hard tails as well as several full suspension Trek models that are available for rental.

You certainly do not want to push to hard, because if she has a wipeout it might totally ruin future chances. I have gone through similar issues with my fiance, although her bike is a good fit. She tossed many expletives when we went to Albion to follow the Summer Solstice course prior to the 24 weekend. We will go back there again, but she will follow the double track course while I attempt all of the orange 'singletrack' course.

namagomi
    Or gravity rolling down the hill... Thank you.

Looking forward to having some fun on the rock at Buckwallow tomorrow. Now if you excuse me - you two can have some fun together, but I have to get some beauty sleep.

Good night, and behave...
    Good luck - I hear carbon soled clipless are virtually skates on rock that is anything but flat.