Tragic News from Kelso- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Tragic News from Kelso

Cyclist dead after riding off cliff in Kelso Conservation Area - 680 NEWS

Thoughts are with her family and friends. Must have got onto the no-biking Escarpment Trail, I imagine. It is easy to do there.

mtbr member
    Thats horrible.

What are you saying is easy to do?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Inadvertently wind up on the Escarpment Trail.

mtbr member
    and then take your bike over the cliff?

Lemmy Rules!
    There are a couple of sections of trail there, which have been closed to biking for about a decade, that run along the top of the cliff, under tree cover. It is not immediately obvious that they are next to the cliff. These are pretty technical trails where I suppose it would be possible to fall over sideways and go over the edge. They are marked as closed (or at least they were last time I was there last season) but if someone really wants to ride on them, it is easy to get over the barrier.

The only part of the trails open to biking next to the cliff is the open area right by the main ski lift. The drop is pretty obvious and there is no reason to ride next to it.

Given the foregoing, my guess is that the rider was either on a trail she should not have been, or was closer to the edge than she needed to be.

But tragic and awful nonetheless...
    Strava made me do it....

Workin for the weekend!
    Tragic, un calculated error... Risk vs reward should always be something we think about, this is a terrible start to the MTB season.

Hope Kelso doesn't knee jerk some resolution... Some trail development would be nice.
    Todd :thumbsup:

Risingson
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    Tragic, un calculated error... Risk vs reward should always be something we think about, this is a terrible start to the MTB season.

Hope Kelso doesn't knee jerk some resolution... Some trail development would be nice.
    We always ride that trail...I wonder where she went off?

mtbr member
    Last edited by temporoad; 05-13-2016 at 05:48 PM.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

Lemmy Rules!
    Just found out that she was a member of my cycling club. I cannot say I knew her but had met with her and rode with her a few weeks back. She was a relative novice and should not have been anywhere near that cliff. I feel sick.
    Strava made me do it....

Finally!
    This is horribly wrong. Very sad indeed.

mtbr member
    Interesting Unglued, as the news suggested that she was an accomplished rider. I don't go up to that area when at Kelso, but have been over there a couple times in the past. If my memory serves me correctly, there isn't an area that the trail goes that close to the cliff side. Unless my sometimerz is acting up again...
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I ride Kelso a lot and have for a very long time. I wish they would say where she went off. My friends and family now have the impression that Kelso is a dangerous place to ride, and that is really not the case.

I don't know of any sanctioned trails that get you close enough to a 70 ft drop to fall. A decade or so ago, we used to ride near the edge, but those trails have since been closed off. My guess is, she was not riding on a sanctioned trail. But perhaps she was?

It would be good to know either way. I'd really hate for public opinion to cause the sanctioned trails to get easier, as already appears to be what is happening at Kelso.

Tragic event either way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I did see one news report on television where it was noted that she was on the Escarpment Trail. This is unverified, but really the only option that I can think of.

Risingson
    Apr 2012
    I read the same thing, she was on the Escarpment Trail. I know at the end of that trail there is a short offshoot which literally goes along the edge and then reconnects with the main Escarpment Trail. I've walked my bike along it but I've heard some people ride it. Maybe this is where it happened, I can't think of anywhere else...

Cyclist
    I've heard on CP24 that she fell near Lookout #2. I don't know Kelso well. Only biked there once. Looking at the trail map, it's hiking only near the lookouts.
    My Rides:
    MTB NightTrain Bullet Ti Fat Bike
    MTB Fly Team29 Ti
    MTB Giant XTC 26" HT
    Cross Cannondale SuperX
    Road Cervelo R5

Risingson
    Apr 2012
    I rode the Escarpment trail yesterday aft, there are a couple of spots near Lookout 2 where it could have happened. You would have to lose control though and literally ride off the side.

Perpetual Hack
    Maybe a tragic case of tunnel vision - you know looking where you are not supposed to and the bike following?
    We have all done it with a rock or ahem tree...

Is it possible that she lost trail focus, looked out the precipice then simply rode off?

This has always been my quiet fear - so I have always stuck to the trails further back, or the dh stuff.
    (Not been to kelso in in a couple of years, after they started ripping the jumps / dh stuff out.)

2016 pretty much sucks at this point - this just adds to it.

Not feeling too well myself at the moment.

RIP
    Hatched in '64
    A Dirtbag since '69
    A Knomer since '07

Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    The escarpment trail is closed to bikes, no?

If you stick to the bike trails, it's safe. Too safe actually as they keep pulling all the fun out of the place.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I rode at Kelso today. The escarpment trail is not as well marked as walking only trail as I had imagined. Hmmm.

Workin for the weekend!
    The woman that died didn't go over the escarpement on her bike... The bikes were left back on the trail, she was there with another person and fell.

Either way, tragic. Hope the region can make the necessary corrections to HIKING trails...
    Todd :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Wow, I had no idea. They never mentioned that.

I was there again today and when you are heading down (west) the allowed bike trail by the escapement, there are actually a few areas when you could go over a good drop if you were fast enough and unlucky enough.

I guess we just block that out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    The woman that died didn't go over the escarpement on her bike... The bikes were left back on the trail, she was there with another person and fell.
    I have heard this from several sources as well, that she was not actually riding at the time but slipped/tripped and fell. I also heard that the person she was with had the horrifying experience of watching her fall. How about that for a recurring nightmare?
    I love riding my bike!