Tour du King?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Tour du King?

FeelIng Cranky!

Tour du King?

Anyone sign up? I just did. Decided I'd regret not doing it more than I'll suffer for doing it! Sounds like a fun and interesting day!

mtbr member
    I did. After doing the Lake to Lake, Ive got the point to point bug !!!

Lemmy Rules!
    It's the same weekend as the Dundas Monstercross, which is what I will be doing...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    I've not entered - but plan too.

Missed the L2L (bruised ribs) and then found out it was the finale (dam)
    And then the Squeezer was cancelled ;(

So this is a logical end of season race.

Hope ya 'all can join us - should be fun!

mtbr member
    " It's the same weekend as the Dundas Monstercross "

Nooo...I so wanted to do that too

mtbr member
    I watched the preview video and it looks pretty fun, I'm thinking about signing the wife and I up and making a weekend of it.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy View Post
    " It's the same weekend as the Dundas Monstercross "

Nooo...I so wanted to do that too
    Ah, but different days!

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    Ah, but different days!
    We missed you and Garage Monster at the race last nite...
    Strava made me do it....

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    We missed you and Garage Monster at the race last nite...
    [threadjack]Five day business trip in the land of steak and tacos. I'll be getting to HAN almost directly off a plane. Not ideal but it pays the bills. [/threadjack]
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    HAN pays the bills? really?

Back to original thread, tough call with the Masters of Cross, The hillbilly Hustle, the same day in Duntroon.

why are the awesome events always on the same days/weekends?

I'm wearing out my 8 ball with all these conflicts.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by swabag View Post
    HAN pays the bills? really?

Back to original thread, tough call with the Masters of Cross, The hillbilly Hustle, the same day in Duntroon.

It'll be the Hustle for me. Scott says he'll actually be racing it this year (even as hung-over as he'll be) so I can't miss that.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Map is up.

MAP

I Strava Hamburgers
    Woop, family plans fell through.

Now I get to race!

mtbr member
    I'm signed up and really looking forward to it. Should make for an awesome day on the cross bike.

mtbr member

Cross bike or Mountain bike?

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck50 View Post
    Anyone sign up? I just did. Decided I'd regret not doing it more than I'll suffer for doing it! Sounds like a fun and interesting day!
    I will be signing up for this...Just not sure what kind of bike to do it on...Inside information suggests that 50% of the course is "off road". However, the course map indicates that doesn't mean off road is singletrack. So I am curious to know what others are riding, Cross bike or mtb? I figure even at 50% road, you can make up much more time there than losing a little in the off road on a cross bike. However, I haven't ridden one yet, so maybe I am biting off more than I can chew!
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Don't know about a cross bike but I wish I had a 29r to ride for this.
    That's OK - my trusty 26r will be awesome & fun & get me to the BBQ!

mtbr member
    Yeah, me too on the 29er front. Mine isn't arriving until January!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister View Post
    I will be signing up for this...Just not sure what kind of bike to do it on...Inside information suggests that 50% of the course is "off road". However, the course map indicates that doesn't mean off road is singletrack. So I am curious to know what others are riding, Cross bike or mtb? I figure even at 50% road, you can make up much more time there than losing a little in the off road on a cross bike. However, I haven't ridden one yet, so maybe I am biting off more than I can chew!
    From the description by Chico it has been labeled the fall P2A and it suitable for CX or MTB bikes.

From my experience, if they label a course as CX friendly and the race is targeted as a citizen event, that to me means the CX bike will be the fastest tool for the job. From a due diligence stand point, you generally don't publicize an event to the masses, suggesting a bike that would not be suitable for the average rider.

From riding around Hamilton, 100% off-road rides that are a mixture of rail trail, gravel paths, double track and single track, my CX bike is the fastest (though arguably not the most enjoyable). Unless there are extended sections of technical singletrack (lots of tight corners, rocks or roots), a CX bike is just as fast off road, and certainly better on the road/gravel.

I had committed to race on a team in the dairy stampede that day before my injury, if not I would have been signed up. Looking back on the season and in general, my favorite races are the point to point CX races (P2A and ToP).

mtbr member
    ...not so sure about the CX bike. We ride at least 4 km through Centennial Park in King which is "the attack of the 1,000 turns".If it's greasy in there due to rain this week a CX bike might be a bit slippery. Just sayin'

Does anyone know the trails at the start - them seem to be flat wide forest hiking trails. Are the open to bikes on a daily basis?

FeelIng Cranky!
    Quote Originally Posted by pikester View Post
    ...not so sure about the CX bike. We ride at least 4 km through Centennial Park in King which is "the attack of the 1,000 turns".If it's greasy in there due to rain this week a CX bike might be a bit slippery. Just sayin'

Does anyone know the trails at the start - them seem to be flat wide forest hiking trails. Are the open to bikes on a daily basis?
    Unless it rains alot right until Sunday I wouldn't worry about Kind being Slippy. I dries up in there really nice. It's not like there are many roots to worry about.

FeelIng Cranky!

Newb Question

This is my 1st P2P. It seems like a good one for me as this is kinda home turff & I am very familiar with King trails and the surrounding area. I'm average all round, in skill ect.. How long does something like this take?

mtbr member
    King Trails - thanks a little local knowledge is a good thing

What about the trails at the start - can they be pre-ridden?

FeelIng Cranky!
    King Trails - thanks a little local knowledge is a good thing

What about the trails at the start - can they be pre-ridden?
    yes, but keep in mind they are geared towards hikers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

You should do the awesome by racing TdK in the morn and then be the reigning Hillbilly int afternoon!

Lemmy Rules!
    This is my 1st P2P. It seems like a good one for me as this is kinda home turff & I am very familiar with King trails and the surrounding area. I'm average all round, in skill ect.. How long does something like this take?
    If you are doing the 60k route, my best guess would be 3 hours.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    If you are doing the 60k route, my best guess would be 3 hours.
    On Chico's route map it's saying 48km so you could probably knock off another 30-40 minutes.

Is everyone riding back to seneca afterwards or taking the shuttle? As long as it's not pouring rain I think we'll be making the trip back on the bikes. I think that's another 20km

mtbr member
    This looks like a great race - and possibly a replacement for this years Squeezer

I guess this is sing-up deadline tonight!

FeelIng Cranky!
    Great! Thanks for the info. I was guestimating 2.5hrs So I'll be back well in time for the kids race. Should be a fun day! hope the weather co-operates.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Louda View Post
    You should do the awesome by racing TdK in the morn and then be the reigning Hillbilly int afternoon!
    I looked into it, but I would need to charter a helicopter from Cold Creak to Duntroon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm in the same boat... not sure if I should use The Hellcat (cross bike) or Lola (Misfit).. I haven't quite bonded with Hellcat yet or ridden any trails with her! I know I can reach good speeds with the Misfit on the roads too... hmmmm!

Evil Jr.
    I looked into it, but I would need to charter a helicopter from Cold Creak to Duntroon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louda View Post
    I'm in the same boat... not sure if I should use The Hellcat (cross bike) or Lola (Misfit).. I haven't quite bonded with Hellcat yet or ridden any trails with her! I know I can reach good speeds with the Misfit on the roads too... hmmmm!
    Well, I still haven't tested my "rental unit" yet, but I think I am going to stick with it. For the amount of rode time I do, I expect to be comfortable on it, even off road. For the limited technical trails of this race and road and wide trail, it's hard to think about spinning away on a mountain bike.

mtbr member

I'll be there...

My weapon of choice is really simple: 29er HT....

As a "One Bike Only" guy my options are limited.

Recently got a road bike but no cross bike....yet

This will be my first P2P race so I'm a bit anxious but hey it is for fun.

Looks like we'll get a little bit of rain every day till Sunday and the morning will be a chilly one.

I didn't ride my mtb since the provincials so I'll try to squeeze in a ride at Durham before the weekend.

Can't wait!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    From the description by Chico it has been labeled the fall P2A and it suitable for CX or MTB bikes.

From my experience, if they label a course as CX friendly and the race is targeted as a citizen event, that to me means the CX bike will be the fastest tool for the job. From a due diligence stand point, you generally don't publicize an event to the masses, suggesting a bike that would not be suitable for the average rider.

From riding around Hamilton, 100% off-road rides that are a mixture of rail trail, gravel paths, double track and single track, my CX bike is the fastest (though arguably not the most enjoyable). Unless there are extended sections of technical singletrack (lots of tight corners, rocks or roots), a CX bike is just as fast off road, and certainly better on the road/gravel.

I had committed to race on a team in the dairy stampede that day before my injury, if not I would have been signed up. Looking back on the season and in general, my favorite races are the point to point CX races (P2A and ToP).
    Well, I confirmed your points tonight on a test voyage on the "rental" unit. Interesting getting used to lack of traction on some moist spots as well as lack of disc brakes. Holy slow stopping and lack of grabbing power without full kung fu grippage on the levers. I am hoping to solve that with some new brake pads, but we'll see.

I just seems much more natural to hammer away on the road or doubletrack sections on the CX bike and maintain speed. Looking forward to the weekend and a dry race!

Looking for Adventure
    Well, I confirmed your points tonight on a test voyage on the "rental" unit. Interesting getting used to lack of traction on some moist spots as well as lack of disc brakes. Holy slow stopping and lack of grabbing power without full kung fu grippage on the levers. I am hoping to solve that with some new brake pads, but we'll see.

I just seems much more natural to hammer away on the road or doubletrack sections on the CX bike and maintain speed. Looking forward to the weekend and a dry race!
    Welcome to cross racing! Looks easy from a spectator's view, but challenging as hell from a rider's view. Crappy brakes, less traction, and sketchy handling generates some new found cycling excitement.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

mtbr member
    For those still on the fence with what to ride...
    A hard tail with semi-slicks or well worn nobbies - with lots of air (50 - 60lbs) would be a good choice.

Allows you to keep the rubber side down on the trails while being able to scoot on the roads due to enhanced tire pressure.
    Last edited by pikester; 09-29-2011 at 11:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom View Post
    Welcome to cross racing! Looks easy from a spectator's view, but challenging as hell from a rider's view. Crappy brakes, less traction, and sketchy handling generates some new found cycling excitement.
    Handling I don't mind or find that difficult. The braking was worse than expected though hence the trying some new pads. Tires, well, they are what they are, semi slick and not going to do much if it's slick. However, it's going to be a matter of keeping it together in the woods and hammering on the road as always for this sort of race. Looking forward to some ripping pacelines out there!

mtbr member

this is my plan too

For those still on the fence with what to ride...
    A hard tail with semi-slicks or well worn nobbies - with lots of air (50 - 60lbs) would be a good choice.

Allows you to keep the rubber side down on the trails while being able to scoot on the roads due to enhanced tire pressure.
    I'll keep my Racing Ralph's on,but I'm not sure about the psi...
    Usally I'm on 18-22psi but I'm thinking to pump it up to 25-30 and use the lock out on my fork as much as possible.

Bike Junkie
    I am signed up and it will feel like a fall race that's for sure. got to figure out some layering system. The open areas might feel cold as opposed to the singletrack you are going slow enough to work up a sweat. 26'er hardtail for me this time. I enjoyed the Lake2Lake and the Paris2Ancaster so this should be good. I am going to get my kids out for the kids race. 49km ... L2L was about 3hrs not sure if this one is faster; but maybe there are less bottlenecks.
    See You On The Trails!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I just read the last minute report on the tdk from Adam. At the bbq there will be free beer (19 plus only)
    not sure if I can drink that much after the ride but I'm up for a challenge. Riding a cross bike.

FeelIng Cranky!
    Quote Originally Posted by trufflepig View Post
    I just read the last minute report on the tdk from Adam. At the bbq there will be free beer (19 plus only)
    not sure if I can drink that much after the ride but I'm up for a challenge. Riding a cross bike.
    LOL! Read slower. Thats A complementary beer. Singular.

Bike Junkie
    Ack! Lots of rain in the forecast, tire change!
    See You On The Trails!

mtbr member
    Oh god! That changed in a hurry. 30k winds, rain and a high of 9'C.......

Should be great!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    LOL! Read slower. Thats A complementary beer. Singular.

Augh Well then. Why did I register?

mtbr member

MTB over CX Bike for me...

Quote Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
    Ack! Lots of rain in the forecast, tire change!
    Well, I wouldn't worry too much about the tire change if you are riding an mtb. Unless you were running slicks. However, I pre-rode at Seneca today on pretty fun trail system on my rental CX bike. Due to the tires on it, leaves, and lack of brakes, I nearly wrecked myself on a few occasions. I just didn't enjoy riding it at all and despite the crappy weather, races in October are for fun only and this would just be frustrating to be slow and perhaps have a battle with a few trees or wreck a friend's bike.

Not to scare anyone into a bike change of there own, but the 9km at Seneca are not wide open P2A type off roads and there are some roots. On an mtb, I wouldn't call it technical, but if it's wet as the forecast indicates, it will be testy on a CX bike. The trails are hardpacked with lots of leaves down on the off-road parts. The road, well, that's CX friendly, but so be it.

It's going to be an interesting race for sure with the weather and conditions overall. Looking forward to it despite the required cold weather preparation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I got the cross bike set up and ready to go
    too stubborn to change my mind

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well it's official... I'm an idiot. I checked all the stuff on my cross bike that I thought might be a concern and time became an issue I figured, what the hell the brakes should be good. Right at the start, a tree tapped me on the brain to show just how much of an idiot I am.

Looking for Adventure
    What a great event! (Well, I do love point to point races). Weather made it more of an adventure race than a "tour". Big crowd, great route, great food, but where the hell was the hot chocolate, coffee, and bonfire!

Very happy I didn't take the cross bike. Fast hardtail was the choice for the day. Didn't see any cross bike pass me at any point

Worthy on my calendar for next year!
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom View Post
    but where the hell was the hot chocolate, coffee, and bonfire!
    Those sound like pretty significant shortcomings to me, considering the weather. It sounds like it was a decent race otherwise.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Well, that was a hoot really...Great trails at Seneca to start save for the over zealous CX rider rider that was mouthing off mtb'ers before almost yard sale'ing it ahead of 500 metres into the race. One of our coharts suggest a little karma was at work.

Too bad about the weather today, but really, if you prepared for the forecast it was okay. Until the rain started. Luckily it only rained a little bit if you were in under 2:10 or so. Really, I was happy to have made the choice for using the mtb over the CX bike here. Apparently Zandstra even commented to Chico that he wouldn't due this race on a CX bike.

There was lots of folks hanging out at the bbq despite the weather, food was great, band decent too. Another winner from Chico on this one! I will be back next year too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    FUN ride!!! I was very happy the singletrack was what it was.. I didn't know what to expect from this race, but it was good.. Once you got out on the roads though it got COLD!! I can't even tell you how excited I was when the bus finally came back for another load!

mtbr member

Had a blast

I was dressed perfectly for the ride but afterwards I was SO cold....to the point where I was shivering so hard it was painful! I've never been so excited to see a warm bus. Some propane heaters next year for sure...

I was happy with with the cx choice. There were only 2 realllly rooty sections that I walked but everything else was rideable and pretty quick once the field split up a bit. Well....except that crazy climb that was a challenge just to walk up. If anyone rode up that, kudos to them, it was one hell of a hill.

All in all, great time and well organized especially for a first time event. Cool to see Emily Batty there too!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    that was a great event. I'm thinking the mtb for next year, it did not slow down those young guys that won all the money. Curious about cross bikes in the top ten, I was 9 on a cross bike, 10 was a mtb, peter m was on a cross bike, not sure about the rest--looked like top 3 were on mtb and were much faster than the next few, like a lot

All my faucets is Moen.
    From pics I see 3rd was on a cross bike. 1 & 2 I don't think it matters what bike they're on.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    where's pictures? Those first two were really fast, wow

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post
    From pics I see 3rd was on a cross bike. 1 & 2 I don't think it matters what bike they're on.
    Yeah, what pics? Ours will be up in the next day or two, but nothing is up yet.

Mtb was the way to go really...There were some strong CX riders near the front, but they also held up some of the mtbs in the first 8-9km of off road. It's all good as that's what we signed up for, but I am just sayin'.

There were some descents on the road allowance that I absolutely blew past some CX riders on the down and uphills. Really, there only advantage was on the roads, that's all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post
    Oh wow, I didn't see those guys there that's pretty cool.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Yeah, what pics? Ours will be up in the next day or two, but nothing is up yet.
    Well no one can top your pics. Ted's always on point.
    These were just from friends at the finish and podium on Facebook.

mtbr member

Great race....

I loved the course although it made me realized how weak are my legs.
    I stuck behind a whole bunch of XC bikes at the beginning and the first 2 or 3 section of singletrack was excruciating even with my super high tire pressure and locked out fork....

The climbs were so well placed into the course it always put that extra pain into my thighs.
    I didn't even try to climb that ridiculously steep section;that was intimidating.
    Congrats for those who even just tried!!!!

I was dealing with a nasty cramp in my right calf for the last 8k but I managed to stay alive!

Food was excellent and I destroyed the beer in no time...
    Given yesterdays weather mulled wine would have been a better option...

Great course,excellent food,great people as always!

Chico; awesome job!!!

I'll be back...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    While pedalling along the last roads I was dreaming about a big hot tub waiting at the finish line for us to just jump right into. (Plus I was cramping too...ouch...)
    Sure hope TDK is up for next year!
    It was an amazing course & a great day - plus my daughter got to see (too shy to go meet) Emily Batty in person!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    it happens to be on a weekend with a hole in our western ny cyclocross schedule, so it was a perfect opportunity to get out. For next year I will use a mtb, I was sick of having to brake and worry so much about getting a flat, my hands were sore from trying to control the speed with squishy canti brakes.