Tour of Bronte - Dirt Dash- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Tour of Bronte - Dirt Dash

Results - has anyone seen updated results for the Dirt Dash?

Great race and the weather co-operated - it actually was hot! Great course.

Not going to believe this - after years of trying to get my best bud to enter a race I convinced him to try a couple. His first race ever is the Dirt Dash. I always manage to stay ahead of him when we ride - this race was nothing different. I finsh and cruze around a bit then wait for him and watch him cross the line anywhere from 5-10 minutes later.

We wait for the results and he's listed ahead of me by 3 spots and about 5 minutes! Imagine the crap I took as he revels in that result.

Someone please tell me they posted updated results - it's not listed on the OCA site.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    http://www.ontariocycling.org/web_pa...-ddresults.htm

Results above. Something is a little funny with the results though. There is no way I placed the way I did.

All my faucets is Moen.
    I hear there were some big problems at this race. (I wasn’t there but some had told me)

Apparently they decided to cut the race one lap short so they could start the Elite road race. However they never tracked lap times or counted as people came around. And they never took into account the fact that people would get lapped.

So when racers came off course they just started counting 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th….. and racers who finished a lap down were given an extra lap (and multiple placings) in the standings.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Results

This would totally make sense except for the fact that some people on the results were averaging 16.1km/hr which would mean that they would of had to of been lapped and would of placed higher then they did. It looks like they mis counted laps somewhere earlier then just the last lap cut off. Over all though it was a nice easy ride and a fun race. I thought it was a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Quote Originally Posted by smithsb1111
    Over all though it was a nice easy ride and a fun race. I thought it was a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon.
    That's all you really need!

mtbr member
    Those appear to be the same results that were posted on site - My avg speed was over 22kph and they have it listed at 19.8

I finished in around 1:04 - they added 8 minutes to my time (as if I'm not slow enough)

and again my buddy is ahead of me in the results - I clearly beat him by several minutes.

mtbr member
    If that's the case, I know that lots of lapped riders were coming off the course before my husband did, on his fifth lap. He's in his first year of riding, and this was his first race, too, so it would have been nice to know how he REALLY placed (all his friends wanted to know, and we didn't really have an answer). I was at the exit into the finish chute, and confusion reigned, as many riders were saying "but I'm only on the 4th lap?!?" while being waved into the finish run.

For my husband, it wasn't a nice easy fun race, it was an enormous lung-busting, leg-burning, physical effort, a long distance, and even a bit of a technical challenge. He finished with a good attitude, but I know he's also now thinking that he's maybe actually not in very good shape (though he is), and that he'll never be as fast as some of those guys. That's partly my fault, because I'd told him that nobody who really races much would do a race like this. I seriously thought that it would be beginners and recreational riders only, with much of the field being the spouses and children of racers who did the road races.

I guess that's why we have ability categories in most races, so as not to completely squash the beginners. It's a lot more fun riding a race when you think you actually have a chance. Too bad the Dirt Dash wasn't run like that, as well. It seemed like a lot of pretty experienced guys showed up.
    Last edited by hshearer; 04-11-2011 at 09:57 AM.

mtbr member
    I managed to finish 20 overall. I can see how there was some confusion as I had done all my laps but went through the finish with a women on a hybrid. I thought to myself that she must be some smoking fast rider on that thing..... but then I remembered lapping her.
    The course was pretty easy minus the hill they threw in. Still happy with the result and looking forward to the P2A next weekend.
    "Go till I blow..... chunks"

mtbr member
    So I guess I'm dreaming that those results will change ( gosh I sound like a whiner- sorry)

On to P2A now!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Looks like they changed the results!

mtbr member
    Maybe this pre-qualifies me as an elitist snob, but if I paid 40 bucks and busted my gut for an hour (a fun race is still a race) and they stopped everyone early, I'd be none too thrilled.

If it seemed a bit overly-competitive this year, it might be because they made it a qualifier for P2A.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
    Maybe this pre-qualifies me as an elitist snob, but if I paid 40 bucks and busted my gut for an hour (a fun race is still a race) and they stopped everyone early, I'd be none too thrilled.

If it seemed a bit overly-competitive this year, it might be because they made it a qualifier for P2A.
    Organisers and Commissaires have all sorts of reasons for pulling racers (like time-sensitive road closures and what-not) but the surest way to tick people off, regardless of the fun-ness level of the race, is to muff results. Otherwise, what's the point in racing? It's just a big group ride with lots of other people in the way!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Hooray! I'm glad they fixed them, but yeah, I was none too pleased about the confusion. It turns out my husband now was second in his age group, not fifth! He'll be thrilled. I'm now regretting that we gave up on the long wait for reults... it could have been his first podium in his first race.

The road results seemed to get a bit mixed up, too, and I thought that the wait to do the podiums was ridiculous. I wasn't watching the clock, but I think it was close to 2 hours after the races were over in some cases... time to get cleaned up and go out for a nice lunch instead of sitting around in the rain, if only people had been informed it would be such a long wait.

Overall, I think there's a lot of room for improvement in this event.

mtbr member
    I was over this until someone said results are changed - got all excited then still saw my buddy 5 places ahead of me - yet I watched him finish. I'm never gonna live this down.

He's 31st I finished as high as 21st but I'm currently 4 places behind him

To be honest I put slicks on had graet legs and had the race of my life - but I'm not getting the payoff!

Feels like kissing my sister. (sorry I promised to stop whinning)

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The results have updated again.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pikester
    I was over this until someone said results are changed - got all excited then still saw my buddy 5 places ahead of me - yet I watched him finish. I'm never gonna live this down.

He's 31st I finished as high as 21st but I'm currently 4 places behind him

To be honest I put slicks on had graet legs and had the race of my life - but I'm not getting the payoff!

Feels like kissing my sister. (sorry I promised to stop whinning)
    If I were your buddy, I'd totally never let you hear the end of it. Teehee!

mtbr member
    Nerdgirl - this will haunt me to my grave.

I can hear him 20 years from now - "remember my first race when I beat you in Bronte"
    I promised to ride St. G to Ancaster with him because that was to be his first race.
    All bets are off now - it's a full contact no holds barred race for 175th palce ( or where ever the middle of the pack is)
    Last edited by pikester; 04-12-2011 at 01:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Results updated again

http://www.ontariocycling.org/web_pa...-ddresults.htm

Good news is my buddy is finally behind me!

mtbr member
    That is good news as it moved me up to 14th and 2nd in my Cat.
    "Go till I blow..... chunks"

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I still don't think they have the right information, It is a complete mess. I know i was with the lead group and I even lapped my team mate twice so i know my speed was high, thier is no way i finished that far down the list.

Funny thing is they cut the course short last year to let the pro's on the course, but at least we did not have to do the end bit and go back to the start line, so they had the times and laps a bit better, That and thier was only 16 riders then.

I hope they learn from the problems and can turn this event into a much better production, it is nice having something in the local area.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    This was the second Dirty Dash I've raced and I'm pretty disappointed overall with the organization... seems the MTB race is not taken as seriously as the road races. I also had a faster time and pace than the revised final results showed. I actually wasn't planning on doing this race at all until I was informed that the top 30 finishers will get into Wave 1 at P2A without having to meet certain requirements or buying in with a licence. That gave me the incentive to spend the cash on this and give it a roll. I placed fairly well and I guess I will see about getting into Wave 1 now, but I'm not holding my breath LOL Happy Trails!
    Just Crank It!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0