Torrance Barrens ride pics cont'd - Day 2- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Muskoka
    Reputation: BlackCanoeDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3,471

    Torrance Barrens ride pics cont'd - Day 2

    Went back to Torrance Barrens on Saturday, took more pics. It was Bonnie's 1st ride of the season, so she walked the steep stuff. At least that's her excuse and she's sticking to it. Nor does she like riding bridges over water, ever.... 8^))








































    Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 04-21-2007 at 06:25 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,590

    Great Pics, again...

    I would like to ride this place. Now that I know where it is, how much distance can you ride? Is it a loop, out and back, or other? Thanks.

    N.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

    http://www.apexracephotography.com

  3. #3
    Muskoka
    Reputation: BlackCanoeDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3,471
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    I would like to ride this place. Now that I know where it is, how much distance can you ride? Is it a loop, out and back, or other? Thanks.

    N.
    There are 3 loops, 2 of which make a figure 8. The 3rd is off to the right side, joined to the "8"at the middle and at the bottom. Consider the trail head to be at the bottom of the "8". The middle is shown in one of my pics in the 1st thread from yesterday, it is where all the little stone people are gathered 8^)). I recommend riding them in this sequence. From the trail head ride the bottom of the 8 counter clockwise to the middle. This is called the "Main Trail" At the middle fork onto the top of the 8 in a counter clockwise direction. This trail is called "The Barrens Extention". Ride this around until you join up again with the main trail. At this point bear left so that you are now on the main trail but going clockwise. This avoids the section of main trail that crosses Southwood Rd. That short section of trail is more hike than bike and not worth the bother. So...coming around the main trail now clockwise you will come back to the collection of rock people, where all trails meet. At this point pick up the 3rd trail called "The Pine Ridge Trail", you willl be riding this in a clock wise direction. Part of this trail is also the snowmobile trail and is also known in the biking/hiking community as the "Devil's Gap Trail". Pay close attention to the signage along this section in order to find the correct place to veer off to the right- back onto the Pine Ridge Loop. Otherwise you will find yourself riding trail into Gravenhurst, a distance of 19 K. Going the other way you would ride to Bala, a distance of 15 K. Since your vehicle is likely at the Barrens you will not want to miss this turn. The trails are very well signed, some of the best I have seen. But you do have to pay attention to where you are at this point. The Pine Ridge Loop brings you back to the trail head. The reason for riding this clockwise is because of a steep cliff that is much better as a "hike a bike" down rather than up. Often we will stop at top of the cliff, turn around and ride back in the opposite direction. We usually take a half day to ride everything, take some breaks to relax and enjoy, and then ride some more in other configurations. I'm not sure the total K's, I have not looked at the map for a long time. I'm guessing about 15k. Don't be too concerned about total k's. Just go, you will have fun. More important is pick a nice day and get there b4 the deer flys, or else wait until late August or September.There are maps available at the trail head. And please do not litter!
    Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 04-23-2007 at 04:26 PM.

  4. #4
    snowbound
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    240
    Nice - thanks for sharing that I have wondered about riding in that area for a long time.

  5. #5
    Looking for Adventure
    Reputation: Ricksom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,060
    BlackCanoeDog, don't make this place too popular

    Rode there for the first time last year in October. A friend from Victoria BC came to visit and was very impressed. Was very fun, some technical bits for a challenge, but riding on rock for 80% of the time was sheer adventure. The scenary in the fall is very impressive.

    Good stuff for sure!
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

  6. #6
    Muskoka
    Reputation: BlackCanoeDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3,471
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom
    BlackCanoeDog, don't make this place too popular

    Rode there for the first time last year in October. A friend from Victoria BC came to visit and was very impressed. Was very fun, some technical bits for a challenge, but riding on rock for 80% of the time was sheer adventure. The scenary in the fall is very impressive.

    Good stuff for sure!
    Nah, shouldn't be a problem. Its not a busy place as you probably noticed. Most riders coming from "away" usually go to Buckwallow from May thru October. Which is where we mostly go also. The Barrens is early & late season riding for us.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog
    in the biking/hiking community as the "Devil's Gap Trail". Pay close attention to the signage along this section in order to find the correct place to veer off to the right- back onto the Pine Ridge Loop. Otherwise you will find yourself riding trail into Gravenhurst, a distance of 19 K. Going the other way you would ride to Bala, a distance of 15 K.
    Hey BlackCanoeDog:

    I have read about the Devil's Gap Trail in the Muskoka trail brouchure and was wondering,
    Have you ever done to 'whole' Devil's Gap Trail? Is it worth the ride? I am looking for a challenging endurance trail not just something with 'FLOW'.
    The only 'FLOW' I want dispenses from a KEG at the Muskoka Brewery.

    Stosh
    If you happen to see my lungs back there, tell them I've gone on ahead.

  8. #8
    Muskoka
    Reputation: BlackCanoeDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3,471
    Quote Originally Posted by Stosh (Canada)
    Hey BlackCanoeDog:
    I have read about the Devil's Gap Trail in the Muskoka trail brouchure and was wondering,
    Have you ever done to 'whole' Devil's Gap Trail? Is it worth the ride? I am looking for a challenging endurance trail not just something with 'FLOW'.
    The only 'FLOW' I want dispenses from a KEG at the Muskoka Brewery.
    Stosh
    I have not ridden the entire Devil's Gap, and not recently. However I have ridden enough of it to say it is not challenging in any technical sense. It is essentially a nice long ride through the bush and can be ridden as an out & back, or shuttle, or also more or less as a loop of about 46k by coming back along another colonization road. Toss in the Barrens and the Bala section and you would be up to about 75k total. I personally have not been further than the Barrens so cannot comment on the ride beyond that to Bala.These trails are usually along the original colonization roads that opened up this area. So they are not narrow single track for the most part, but more like an old cart path. But they are a fun ride due to character of the area. They are about being out in the bush and nature and riding along on a bike for the day. But not flat,smooth and boring like a rail trail. The attached pics should give some idea, in fact this is on the part of The Devil's Gap that runs along the Barrens. I have been considering revisiting this ride because we have not done it from the Gravenhurst end for a long time. My wife(pictured) has a sister who used to ride this quite often solo from Gravenhurst out to Torrance and then around to the back side of Hardy Lake, spend time and swim in Hardy, then return as an all day outing. Nice but I think one needs to be prepared with some tools, spare tube etc because if you have a mechanical you are a long way from the trail head!! I recommend you pick up "Trails of Muskoka" which is published annually (free) and can be picked up at the Tourist Bureau and most outfitter stores in the area.


    Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 04-23-2007 at 10:03 PM.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog
    I have not ridden the entire Devil's Gap, and not recently. However I have ridden enough of it to say it is not challenging in any technical sense.
    SNIP
    you pick up "Trails of Muskoka" which is published annually (free) and can be picked up at the Tourist Bureau and most outfitter stores in the area.
    SNIP
    Thanks for the quick reply:

    Yes "Trails of Muskoka", That is the booklet or tourist site .PDF I get every year for updates. It was remembering the booklets suggestion of out on the 'Devils Gap Trail' and back on the 'Old Stone Road', that got me interested in your posting.

    I was looking for more detailed information from the Gravenhurst side. My biggest concern being the stream/marsh crossings I expect South and East of 'Pine lake'? because on the West side of the Barrens the trail shows up as a cottage road that connects with the Southwood road just south of Torrance.

    I am certainly not bragging about being prepared for everything but I carry the basics and so does the guy I normaly ride with.

    Thanks again for the info, I think I just found a new endurance ride for mid spring, or LATE (bug diminished) summer.

    Stosh
    If you happen to see my lungs back there, tell them I've gone on ahead.

  10. #10
    rad to the power of sick
    Reputation: superlightracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,969
    That boulder stuff looks like a blast to ride on...

    cant wait for the buckwallow Ocup!

  11. #11
    Muskoka
    Reputation: BlackCanoeDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3,471
    Quote Originally Posted by Stosh (Canada)

    It was remembering the booklets suggestion of out on the 'Devils Gap Trail' and back on the 'Old Stone Road', that got me interested in your posting.

    I was looking for more detailed information from the Gravenhurst side. My biggest concern being the stream/marsh crossings I expect South and East of 'Pine lake'? because on the West side of the Barrens the trail shows up as a cottage road that connects with the Southwood road just south of Torrance. I
    Thanks again for the info, I think I just found a new endurance ride for mid spring, or LATE (bug diminished) summer.
    Stosh
    You are right. I could not remember the name of "Old Stone Rd", which is the return portion of this loop. Devil's Gap being the out portion. I have not ridden Old Stone Rd but, know riders that have done this loop and liked it. I can however comment on the portion of Devils Gap you are concerned about. The stream portions were never a problem in my experience, being shallow and not wide. However if its a wet spring there are some largish puddles that develop and must be ridden through early in the ride going out from the trail head at Snider's Bay Rd. This can be either "fun" or a "pain" depending on your point of view. This spring is exceptionally dry in Muskoka. I think this would be an awesome ride anytime from now until deer fly season (late June-early August) . Old Stone Rd comes back out on Musquash Rd in Gravenhurst I believe. I think I will try and put something together with some friends and do this myself. Now that I have this nifty camera, I see another ride report with pics coming up 8^))

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.