• 07-05-2011
    ghettocruiser
    Toronto Police Opinion: RIDE AGAINST THE CURB
    Found this little Gem:

http://www.insidetoronto.com/opinion...onto-s-streets

Hilights:

Quote:

Originally Posted by FERGIE REYNOLDS
    Section 147(1) clearly states: "any vehicle travelling upon a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic shall, where practicable, be driven in the right-hand lane available for traffic, or as close as practicable to the right hand curb or edge of the roadway".

Which of course leads him to this:

Quote:

Therefore, a cyclist travelling at a noticeably slower speed than other traffic, must use the right lane and must travel as close to the curb or roadway edge as possible so as not to impede the flow of traffic.

And onto this:

Quote:

To sum it all up, in this case the cyclist appears not to be travelling at or even near the normal speed of traffic for this roadway and therefore would be breaking the law under Section 147, by taking up an entire lane.

Note that nowhere in the article did he discuss the width of the lane, or whether or not there was damaged pavement or other obstructions along the curb, since he clearly doesn't care. And I like really how he makes a point of saying that the speed limit doesn't matter, it's how fast the cars are going that counts.

Remember kids, this guy was a Senior Toronto Traffic cop.

Have a nice day.
  • 07-05-2011
    Kay.
    +1 for digging this up and highlighting the practicable/possible legerdebouche. I wouldn't have noticed it otherwise. Make that a +2 in fact. Oops. I see you can't give a +2. Anyway, I submitted it back to InsideToronto as a typo.
  • 07-05-2011
    DeeEight
    Why expect common sense from toronto police? After the G20 summit and the whole "women who dress ****ty should expect to be raped" debacle.... they obviously don't have very high hiring standards.
  • 07-05-2011
    electrik
    Thankfully one can still file for their 10 minutes in court if falsely charged though it's getting hard for a parking ticket. Apparently now you must pay $15 if you lose the challenge... but what if you win!
  • 07-05-2011
    ghettocruiser
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kay. View Post
    +1 for digging this up and highlighting the practicable/possible legerdebouche.

The "or" switched to "and" may have been the more damaging slight of hand.

His re-interpretation of the HTA is needless anyways, since HTA 148(6) gives him all the ammo he needs without fudging anything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    Thankfully one can still file for their 10 minutes in court if falsely charged though it's getting hard for a parking ticket.

I figured this would grab the attention of other BF.NET/A&S alumni. Feel free to cross post it over there for all the VC diehards if you still have that masochistic streak, I swore never again.

I don't give a crap about tickets. My concern is that my last three full-body contacts with cars have been citizen motorists using their right quarterpanels to enforce this character's interpretation of HTA 147(1).
  • 07-05-2011
    osokolo
    they are simply loosing touch
    with reality...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzE-I...e_gdata_player

How much dumb(er) can it get?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Found this little Gem:

http://www.insidetoronto.com/opinion...onto-s-streets

Hilights:

Which of course leads him to this:

And onto this:

Note that nowhere in the article did he discuss the width of the lane, or whether or not there was damaged pavement or other obstructions along the curb, since he clearly doesn't care. And I like really how he makes a point of saying that the speed limit doesn't matter, it's how fast the cars are going that counts.

Remember kids, this guy was a Senior Toronto Traffic cop.

Have a nice day.

• 07-05-2011
    ghettocruiser
    Watch for the upcoming youtube event where ghettocruiser always rides as close to the curb as possible on Toronto's busiest arterial roads.

Riding along the top of the curb would clearly be cheating, so I can feel some tire sidewall action coming on...
  • 07-05-2011
    electrik
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    The "or" switched to "and" may have been the more damaging slight of hand.

His re-interpretation of the HTA is needless anyways, since HTA 148(6) gives him all the ammo he needs without fudging anything.

I figured this would grab the attention of other BF.NET/A&S alumni. Feel free to cross post it over there for all the VC diehards if you still have that masochistic streak, I swore never again.

I don't give a crap about tickets. My concern is that my last three full-body contacts with cars have been citizen motorists using their right quarterpanels to enforce this character's interpretation of HTA 147(1).

I highly doubt any typical motorists have actually read the HTA... even those who enforce it seemed to have glazed over the details.

Traffic "law" vigilantism is a huge problem, i wonder what will happen to that cyclist from the article next time the motorist who wrote in encounters them.
  • 07-06-2011
    TRCA
    "Exhaust-ing ride for cyclists: Air pollutants trigger heart risk"
    Interesting article linking air pollutants to heart risks, specifically for cyclists on busy roads.
    It seems to support the argument for separated bike lanes (and bike boxes at intersections), because the closer you are to the source of the exhaust the worse it is for you. However, avoiding those roads (the busiest ones) altogether, and/or building infrastructure on quieter roads seems to make more sense.

Clips:
    "Our findings suggest that short-term exposure to traffic may have a significant impact on cardiac autonomic function in healthy adults," the scientists from Health Canada, Environment Canada and the University of Ottawa wrote in the journal Environmental Health Perspectives.

The study does not suggest that bikers would be better off driving, experts say. Rather, the findings intensify the scrutiny on cyclists' pollution exposure, and point to simple solutions for a cleaner ride, such as avoiding busy roads like 8th Avenue whenever possible."

"For the study, 42 healthy, non-smoking cyclists wore heart monitors before, during and after cycling for one hour on high- and low-traffic roads between May and September last year. Instruments on the bikes' panniers measured exposure to air pollution. Short-term exposure to heavy traffic significantly decreased heart rate variability in the cyclists for up to three hours after they finished cycling. Experts say reduced heart rate variability is associated with a higher risk of heart attacks."

"The new study of Canadian cyclists does not mean that people should lock up their bikes and hop back into the driver's seat, said Brauer. Another study has shown that drivers have higher respiratory problems than cyclists because of their higher exposure to volatile organic chemicals in vehicle exhaust. "In stop-and-go traffic, [drivers] have more exposure than a cyclist who stays 15 feet or more from the tailpipes," said Rebecca Serna, executive director of the Atlanta Bicycle Coalition, a cycling advocacy group."

http://www.environmentalhealthnews.o...e-for-cyclists
  • 07-06-2011
    ghettocruiser
    Given some of the issues I hear about from other jurisdictions, I just wanted to mention it's awesome to have a regional land management authority that posts on a mountain biking forum.

But back to the topic at hand.

What is Legal Cycling in Toronto: The plot thickens:

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/...h-toronto?bn=1