Toronto MTB Festivus- Mtbr.com
    Team NFI
    Mar 2007

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for sharing. More info to come as we finalize details.

Check out and like our facebook page by searching "toronto MTB fest" to stay up to date.

Happy spring!
    Graham Seaman
    Vice President
    Toronto Off-Road Bicycle Association

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Wow. Guess the Don is to elitist and insular for MTBr.

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    why do you say that?
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    I think it's more a case of this being one of (if not THE) first events they have put on line this, and they aren't doing a great job of marketing and updating of information in general. It's nothing specific to MTBR.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nickboers View Post
    I think it's more a case of this being one of (if not THE) first events they have put on line this, and they aren't doing a great job of marketing and updating of information in general. It's nothing specific to MTBR.
    Hmm.. so like the Ride The Don event from a few years back. It will simply die with in a year.

mtbr member
    No elitism at all, but this is the first time there's been a MTB festival in the Don, and it's a small group of volunteers putting it on.

The website is up and running at: http://www.to-mtbfest.com
    There's also a Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Toron...92103760824389

A small group of hardworking volunteers just spent a very wet, very muddy Saturday morning grooming some of the trails for the Festival.

All are definitely welcome for a ride, a chat about what's up with the trails, or just to snaffle a hotdog at the BBQ. It is intended that this become an annual event, and this year is just to get it started and build it from there. Suggestions and feedback for next year's event will definitely be welcome.

I'll be on the registration table, so please drop by and say hello.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    First suggestion.

Don't let it die off like the Ride The Don event from years back.
    Last edited by Enduramil; 06-06-2011 at 11:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    As usual with things like this, it is usually the sustained efforts of few for the benefit of many that allow such things to be a success over time.

Some of the reactions here to what appears to be a welcoming invitation are bizarre. Attacking people who are donating their time for your benefit is a great way to find yourself with nothing to do on June 11th.

Thanks to the organizers of the event for giving everyone else an opportunity to enjoy it.

sock puppet
    actually, if it wasn't for the OP, we would have not known about this event. The point that the OP was trying to make is that this event should/could have been advertised around here, for better attendance.

I did not notice any attacks on anyone. Just disappointment for being left out...

sock puppet
    okay kiwi... we do appreciate the time you and the group put in organizing this... see you there.

i hope to meet the gnome himself...

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    actually, if it wasn't for the OP, we would have not known about this event. The point that the OP was trying to make is that this event should/could have been advertised around here, for better attendance.

I did not notice any attacks on anyone. Just disappointment for being left out...
    Not so much about being left out. It's more to do with the pattern that occurs around events like this in Toronto. Big event this year then it proceeds to disappear to nothing. This isn't the first time.

This is a concern as look what happened to Ziggy. He knew people wanted a race in the Don. Yet no riders showed up for his second running. The year of the strike does not count as he got screwed by CUPE.

Evil Jr.
    Well, you can't force people to come out to events. There's either a demand for a festivus or there isn't. Let the market decide.

This Spring has been especially tough since it was SO crappy, no one got out to do much of anything (like gardening, painting, building stairs to the back porch...) so now that the weather is halfway decent, everyone's playing catch-up.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

sock puppet
    it is too early to bi#$ch about it right now, i think... i feel that advertising the first event was more important than to biatch about it disappearing in the second year, when we didn't even go through the first one...

however, mark your calendar for this time next year and biatch away, if there is a good reason. or not.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hi everyone, I'm one of the organizers of the TO-MTBFest and we've been working hard to put together a small event that can build and grow over time. We plan to be here for long run.

We've been doing our best with marketing, but perhaps we didn't pay enough attention to this forum, we also didn't want to clutter it up. Hence why we left this thread that Enduramil started and suggested in the second post to like us on facebook to continue to receive information.

But there seems to be a demand for more info, so here's the schedule for the day. We sincerely hope you can join us this year, if not please keep us in mind for next year.

Time Public Fest Activity
    11:00 Fest opens, first group ride departs and morning Sacred Rides skills clinics
    11:30 Group ride departs and BBQ opens
    12:00 Group ride departs
    12:30 Group ride departs
    1:00 Wild Betty's women's group ride departs
    1:30 Group ride departs
    2:00 Group ride departs
    2:30 Afternoon Sacred Rides skill clinics depart and BBQ closes
    3:00 Group ride departs
    4:00 Last group ride departs
    5:00 Fest closes, meet us at Whistler's (Broadview and Pottery) for an apres beverage

Best regards and please send us sunny vibes,
    Graham
    Graham Seaman
    Vice President

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    it is too early to bi#$ch about it right now, i think... i feel that advertising the first event was more important than to biatch about it disappearing in the second year, when we didn't even go through the first one...

however, mark your calendar for this time next year and biatch away, if there is a good reason. or not.
    Well... somebody who was supposed to whine, and show Summer a good time so she would show up. Instead of showing up you stood her up. May that weasel have multiple flats every ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Im really looking forward to picking one of these Tshirts up.

I think that they're awesome. Thanks TORBA.

Evil Jr.
    lol. I love that they put Fruitloop on there. I didn't know that was still the "official" name.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

9 lives
    dubatorium and rimjob are M.I.A. Ran out of space ?

mtbr member
    Do you really want to explain to folks why rim job is written on your shirt?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    RJ is there - spelled backwards in P A R T Y

probably for the same reason that I get in trouble when my 6yo tells my wife his favorite trail is Rim Job.

We have renamed it Top Catalyst in my house

Evil Jr.
    It brings up an interesting point from when we had the IMBA Trail Care Crew out here. They went to some length to encourage us not to name our trails in the "typical" MTB fashion, i.e. make the dirtiest association possible with a prominent feature.

Of course, after that, all we could think of were colourful names: Boner, 3-way, Two Girls and a Hoe... (no, those won't be the official names, )

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Of course, after that, all we could think of were colourful names: Boner, 3-way, Two Girls and a Hoe... (no, those won't be the official names, )
    The last one could lead to some serious hilarity.

Girlfriend: so what did do today?
    Biker: well, I went out and rode Two Girls and a Hoe
    GF: WHAT??!! YOU DID WHAT??!!
    Biker: It's not what it sounds like!

(Un)fortunately my GF is used to my deadpan sarcasm so she won't flip out.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    STD is appropriately named.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    It turned out to be a great day. The storm clouds threatened us a few times, but never gave us any trouble.

It was disappointing that we were limited by the city to keep the official group rides between Millwood and Pottery, but I think we still did ok with that. A few groups seemed to pop in and organize some longer rides. Even though I was leading some of the 'official' group rides, I still rode some trail I have never seen before between the water treatment plant and Sun Valley, as well as out and back to Pottery a few times which I RARELY ever ride.

Good food, music, lots of people hanging around talking bike, and some free swag too!

I hope we can do this again next year, and I really hope we can get the city to let us ride further than Millwood.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Let the city know what you think,

https://toronto.qualtrics.com/SE/?SI...sGiRDeirCJmPVq

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I wussed out after I woke up to a downpour in Etobicoke. I decided I didn't want to leave my nice dry home yesterday.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    We didn't have a drop of rain in Don, the weather was great as was the company and the trails.

Thanks to all that came out and to our awesome volunteers and sponsors for their support:
    - Loblaws donated the space in their Redway parking lot
    - Cycle Solutions, Dukes and Chico Racing donated enough swag that everyone should have left with something
    - ZM Cycles lent us their PA system
    - Sacred Rides offered two free and well attended skills clinic that everyone came back from raving about
    - Lapdogs, TORBA, City of Toronto, The Wild Betty's and IMBA all displayed their wares and information.

Stay tuned for a bigger and better event next year.

Best,
    Graham Seaman
    Vice President

Members who have read this thread: 0