Toronto Fall Bike Show- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Toronto Fall Bike Show

Looking to get a new bike and I was wondering how good the deals are at the Toronto show? Is it worth the 1.5hr drive?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    If you go knowing your budget and the type of bike, and open mind about what brand/model you want, you should almost certainly come home with a great bike at a great price.

The higher end the bike, the greater the discount. A friend came home last year with a full XTR Carbon KHS team for $2200 or so, half price.

Figure out your budget and what you'd like to have. Find what they go for, and if there's anyone blowing them out for cheap. Go informed, and you should be able to find something good.

Workin for the weekend!
    Just a heads up, it's a feeding frenzy. The lineup outside is obscene, the rush inside is nuts and if you have any little inkling of any type of social anxiety, be ready. This is about as busy a "show" as I've ever seen...

If you're on top of pricing it could be a great spot to find something on the cheap...

sock puppet
    anyone interested in a free VIP pass for the 8th?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Oggie, have you been to the Cycle Expo show coming up on the 8th? How was it? I was thinking about going.

mtbr member
    I'm buying a new Cdale Scalpel this fall so I've been waiting for the fall bike show. Really hoping to get the bike I want at a great deal.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by nickboers View Post
    Oggie, have you been to the Cycle Expo show coming up on the 8th? How was it? I was thinking about going.
    havent been in a while, but was following comments of those that went...

if i go - it will be mostly for schmoozing... i doubt i would be buying anything... it appears the best deals are to be had either totally early or totally late...

here is a link that may be used to obtain a free VIP pass...

https://reg.conexsys.com/expocycle12...Code=363403264

enjoy it...

GAME ON!
    there is no buying at the expocycle public show.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quick question for people that have gone to previous fall bike shows. Is there a chance I could get a deal on 2013 model? Or would only the previous year models be discounted?

mtbr member
    The show is for shops to get rid of all their existing inventory before the winter comes. They would be blowing out stuff they could not get rid off during the year.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Makes sense. Thanks for the reply secret agent man

mtbr member
    If you've been to the Spring Show but not the Fall one, dont expect the same show
    experience.
    The Spring is larger, more spread out and even has a smattering of Manufactuers there.
    The Fall one is crammed into an under sized building and is pretty much all dealers (as mentioned above ) unloading last yrs stock at good to great prices.
    You have to like crowds and messes as it really comes off as gaggle of garage sales
    with crowds almost three to six deep at boths.
    Best game plan for the Fall Show is hunt and buy that suprise bargin.
    If you go looking for certain things. .....you usually come up empty.
    Save the shopping list for the Spring Show .
    Did I mention you must like crowds ;-)

mtbr member
    As mentioned before, do your homework on pricing. Not all dealers have deals. A certain Mississauga bike shop had a shock I was waiting on, at a higher price at this show, than at the shop one year. I haven't been for a few years due to the insane crowds mentioned above and that I have filled more than my fair share of the house with bike stuff. The only thing I am looking for now is a GPS with heart rate, but I am not willing to go to the show for this. Bring cash; I ended up buying a shock that year cash.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately, this kind of price manipulating has been happening
    at the Spring Show for a few yrs now too.
    Items listed over SRP then a 50% off sticker put
    on it. Not cool.
    Do your home work or at least carry your Smart phone ;-)
    Last edited by ccaddy; 10-09-2012 at 08:47 PM.

mtbr member
    On the Saturday "Bicycle Blowout Sale", how good are the deals on bikes? Someone in the industry told me half price?

I dd what you see there.
    Sounds like it's the "boxing day" for bike sales.

Count me out.
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    On the Saturday "Bicycle Blowout Sale", how good are the deals on bikes? Someone in the industry told me half price?

I've been to it one year (2007) and bought a bike.

Here is what I generally found. I was looking for a FS cross country bike. Something in the XT level, aluminum. Kinda the common southern ontario bike (Epic, Anthem, etc),

Generally a bike of this level would normally run $2500 - 3000 at a shop. From recollection, they were in the low 2000's, out the door with room to negotiate (drop $500 - 700 off).

I ended up buying a 2004 epic XT/XTR level. There were a couple that were old, old stock. It had rim brakes, so no one was interested. I walked by it a few times to look and every time the price dropped a little. Ended up out the door $1700 plus a few accessories. $350 invested in a set of stock wheels off a newer epic that someone was upgrading immediately and a gently set used set of BB7's. $2050 , plus extra parts for a SS build I did, I thought was a great deal.

I really miss that bike.

I had also bought an entry level road bike earlier that summer. Same model at the bike show was 30% off what I paid at a local shop.

So, as people have said, go in with an open mind, not looking for anything overly specific, and there is the potential to come out with a good deal.
    Straight outta Rossland

sock puppet

no worries.

i just crossed your name out...

Quote Originally Posted by XLNC View Post
    Sounds like it's the "boxing day" for bike sales.

Count me out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Dagnabit. I missed the show altogether.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I went to Expo Cycle last Saturday.

Where and when is this other bicycle show and sale?
    :)

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    I went to Expo Cycle last Saturday.

Where and when is this other bicycle show and sale?
    The Toronto fall bike show is October 13 at the Direct Energy Center.

mtbr member
    " Dagnabit. I missed the show altogether."

No you didnt .
    This past week was the industrys bicycle industry show where the manufacturers
    show and take orders from dealers of 2013 merchandise .
    This show is normally held in Montreal and to dealers only .
    This year it was in Toronto and the public were allowed to attend on the Sat only .
    No retail sales are allowed .
    Just glorified window shopping but still kinda neat !!
    The Fall Bicycle show is a completely different animal ( see garage sale comment) and has always been held in Toronto .
    Toronto Bicycle Fall Blowout Sale
    Hope this clears things up for those who are confused .

mtbr member

Toronto fall show

I 've never been to the show and was wonder if theres alot of deals on shoes,tools and posibly a stand. Should i get in line early?

GAME ON!
    Last edited by saturnine; 10-10-2012 at 03:18 PM.
    RIP Adam Yauch

mtbr member
    Anyone know a cheaper place to park nearby?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Park on the north side of the tracks in the Liberty Village area. There's a couple of municipal Green P lots, as well as some private lots. Walk toward the Exhibition GO station down Atlantic Ave and cross under the tracks - maybe a 5-7 minute walk to the show.

Workin for the weekend!
    What a freakin zoo! Luckily we ran into someone I knew in the line and made it inside at 10, in the first 2 mins... Picked up a Camelbak Mule for a nice discount... I get so anxious around that many people!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drussell View Post
    Park on the north side of the tracks in the Liberty Village area. There's a couple of municipal Green P lots, as well as some private lots. Walk toward the Exhibition GO station down Atlantic Ave and cross under the tracks - maybe a 5-7 minute walk to the show.
    Thanks. This worked perfectly. Paid $5.00 insted of $13.00 for parking.

Yes, it was a zoo. I was glad I didn't bring my 2 boys. Some ladies were there with their infants looking all annoyed. WTF???

I was there for components, but they were very hard to come by. Mostly, all they had were bikes. My haul was, niner XC flat bars $30, Prologo saddle $25, Park Tool repair stand $100.

Prices on most everything were just OK. You can easily get better deals online.

GAME ON!
    the park stands have been $100 for probably the last 4 years i've gone to either show. what do they try to price them at outside of the show?
    RIP Adam Yauch

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

It is a zoo but the deal are fantistic this year !

My haul ,
    Sogui mtn short 20 . reg.120!
    White lighting lube 2 for 10 !
    Fox Transition lid $40 !
    Evo winter gloves 4 bucks a pair !

Tons of deals on bikes as well , saw a Cannondale Badboy Solo 1 for 1250 tax in , too bad it was the wrong size , would have pulled the trigger had it been a Med !

POC trabec from 80 ~125 all size and color !

Hope you all got a great deal too !

Workin for the weekend!
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    the park stands have been $100 for probably the last 4 years i've gone to either show. What do they try to price them at outside of the show?
    $179...

mtbr member
    ...........( Prices on most everything were just OK. You can easily get better deals online ).........

Told ya so

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Went looking for a bike, just couple work out the deal I wanted. I'm super tall so I was hunting for XL frames or bigger, I had very little options.

Anyone know of good stores online to order from? I'd curious to see if I would have saved a lot of money on the 29ers I was looking at today

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

superfly

friend got his carbon superfly hardtail for 1700. regular price was 3900. and my other friend got his giant xtc 1 for 1100. regular price is 1900

Workin for the weekend!
    Quote Originally Posted by kencamarador View Post
    friend got his carbon superfly hardtail for 1700. regular price was 3900. and my other friend got his giant xtc 1 for 1100. regular price is 1900
    Demos, not new I assume...?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    Demos, not new I assume...?
    The superfly was a demo. Xtc was new. I also saw giant xtc carbon for 1100 brand new. Ridiculous prices!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    This show was an absolute zoo, but I found all vendors were very helpful.
    Picked up my Trek Fuel EX8 for 2100 after taxes and some DMR V8's for 30 bucks.

Friends of mine got big camelbacks for 30 and 40 bucks. Good day of shopping.

mtbr member
    Loving my Park Tool stand. I used to hang my bike from the ceiling by 2 ropes to work on it. : (

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    Loving my Park Tool stand. I used to hang my bike from the ceiling by 2 ropes to work on it. : (
    I'd say that was a worthwhile upgrade!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Question for the guys/ gals who have been to the show, do you know if you can get just components there? I'd like to pick up some XT/XTR stuff cheap. Thanks

mtbr member
    Glad this was bumped. I was thinking about upgrading my bike for next year and may go see if I can buy one on the cheap there as I can't afford what I want at msrp. Damn I hate crowds and pushing though. Hopefully I get out before I snap
    GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    I usually find pinkbike. CRC, Jenson or ebay are a greater value. Specially when you consider the percentage chance of being trampled like by a herd of buffalo.
    still worth the trip just to see whats there.
    have had good luck, late in the day when they want to get rid of the inventroy instead of bringining it home.
    just my two cents.
    If I wanted to objectify a women I'd do it on my terms not theirs.

Workin for the weekend!
    A great place for clothing...

mtbr member
    Going to check it out tomorrow. Mrs. Roll wants a new bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Unkown View Post
    Question for the guys/ gals who have been to the show, do you know if you can get just components there? I'd like to pick up some XT/XTR stuff cheap. Thanks
    I picked up some of my XTR groupset there 2 or 3yrs ago, prices were good and I did a bit of haggling and got them for a bit better - but after I left and had driven 1/2 way home realized they made a mistake at the register as the guy that gave me the deal was not the same guy that punched it in. I called the store (some place in Mississauga) and explained what had happened. They were good enough to fix it after I stopped by their store (as it turns out I was headed that way that evening) so all was good.

So, to answer your question - yes, you can probably find components there for a decent price - just look in all their display boxes and cabinets they have their cash registers sitting on.

D
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    Success! We saved $300 on a C-dale Trail for Mrs Roll, and I saved $105 on a Bell Volt.. that's right, half price.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    got there 945am, buy ticket walk back around to lime up with all the ticketholders until 10am when the doors opened, some good deals were to be had but I had to show restraint since I failed to price anything online and didn't want to be caught out paying too much. Got the collapsible, magnetic tool tray, gear locking clamp bike repair stand from impala, $146 tax in. Got a specialized helmet $28 tax in. The show should be declared not stroller-friendly, no room with crowd looking for deals and new bikes being rolled out to a new home. Put your kid on a strider and let 'em rip!
    Hope to have a few more bucks saved for the Spring Show and maybe score more deals

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    one more thing, having your customer leave your retail, display area to line up to pay for your goods seemed like a bad idea and would allow for goods to leave unpaid for.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by deckard2 View Post
    one more thing, having your customer leave your retail, display area to line up to pay for your goods seemed like a bad idea and would allow for goods to leave unpaid for.
    it worked for you? bad boy!
    Signature

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    this was an observation, my karma prevents me from causing others to suffer loss due to my actions, unless there is a finish line

mtbr member
    I also attended the show and walked around for 3 hours in aimless fashion. It was way too crowded for my liking. But a did manage to spend some money of a set on wheels (American Classic 420 3 Aero) to replace the aging Ksyrium ES wheels on my S-Works Roubaix. Not an amazing deal ($700) but they do look good on the bike.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    hi all, was wondering if anyone attended the 2015 october bike expo and remembered pricing on the Cervelo S3 and S2's. im trying to figure out the budget ill need to prepare for the 2016 expo

thanks in advance

Members who have read this thread: 0