toronto east end ride- Mtbr.com
    humber river advocate

toronto east end ride

was quite chilly out and the ride was interesting. had a little bit of everything, from the two semi naked male models being photographed under the queen/don bridge. which i startled while riding down the steel stairs (bahaha!). to checking out million dollar open houses in cabbage town and laughing about it with a local cop. ok i really shouldn't laugh, the houses where really nice and i would love to have one.

docklands

lunch was top notch at https://www.jamiekennedy.ca/ in corktown

rode around the toronto necropolis, wonder what the story is behind this gravestone...

cheeky squirrel panhandling...

broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    West end ride:
    http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3582763

Trying to avoid getting the MTB dirty for the first time since Jamaica and continuing to abuse the Stigmata.

No pics

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth
    West end ride:
    http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3582763

Trying to avoid getting the MTB dirty for the first time since Jamaica and continuing to abuse the Stigmata.

No pics
    If it's guilt factor you have please feel free to ship said bike to Kingston. I have no guilt- I'll even use a safety line for the bike while traversing mud.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket
    had a little bit of everything, from the two semi naked male models being photographed under the queen/don bridge.

Well, I guess that's another riding spot to avoid. LOL
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Cherry Beach (just south of the boat pic) makes STD look like a monastery.

veldrijder
    lunch was top notch at http://www.jamiekennedy.ca/ in corktown
    3 whole beans! 1 bite of cauliflower! I don't care how good it was, at $12 I guess that stuff can be considered part of the presentation - it's certainly not adding any nutritional value

humber river advocate
    i guess you don't eat out much...

perhaps this is more your speed and wallet: http://www.mcdonalds.ca/en/index.aspx
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

veldrijder
    The comment about the price was meant in jest - of course it's not about quantity over quality. But beans cost nothing. And are good. And 3 of them is pretty much useless...

humber river advocate
    the accoutrements are not the meal but compliament the main ingredent which is the
    tourtiere... since the accoutrements where pickled, the flavours matched quite well with the richness of the tourtiere. a whole plate of pickled beans would be overkill... i think your comment is pretty much useless made in jest or not...

interesting...
    http://www.thestar.com/living/food/a...-your-day?bn=1
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Evil Jr.
    There was a ton of home canning on display at the Maple Syrup Festival and I partook heartily. The most interesting (and tasty) thing I found was pickled asparagus!

Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

sock puppet

just a suggestion

no need to call other people's posts "useless". Let them have their opinion and voice it - they are entitled to it and his opinion was not personal or directed at you...

I hope it is a fair suggestion... I am sure it will prevent new flame wars and really useless posts...

By the way, the meal looks great. I personally would not call it a meal, rather a snack... I think a strip of bacon would make it looking even better.

the accoutrements are not the meal but compliament the main ingredent which is the
    tourtiere... since the accoutrements where pickled, the flavours matched quite well with the richness of the tourtiere. a whole plate of pickled beans would be overkill... i think your comment is pretty much useless made in jest or not...

interesting...
    http://www.thestar.com/living/food/a...-your-day?bn=1

mtbr member
    substitute the coliflower for even more bacon

Evil Jr.
    FWIW, Jamie Kennedy is super-famous for his pickles so that was likely a very tasty cauliflower!

Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

sock puppet

where is this place

that the picture was taken?

looks interesting... want to see if I can pay him a visit...

Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    FWIW, Jamie Kennedy is super-famous for his pickles so that was likely a very tasty cauliflower!

Evil Jr.
    It's a pic from a canning class he did at the Gardiner Museum.

sock puppet

so here is a food connoisseur challenge...

looking for those gem places that do not advertise and are not easy to find for 2 different purposes:

1. I am not hungry much, but want to try something delicious. Meat not excluded, but prefer "green" and healthy stuff
    2. I am hungry and I need to fill the hole in my stomach, but want to eat healthy and TASTY...

Must be family oriented as I would bring my 8 year old along with my wife...

No food allergies at all..

thanks

PS if this warrants a new thread - feel free to start one...

It's a pic from a canning class he did at the Gardiner Museum.

Evil Jr.
    Since there are so many great restaurants around, it's sort of a matter of location. In Toronto, I've never had a bad meal at any of Jamie Kennedy's restaurants or Canoe in the TD Centre.

Probably the finest place to eat in the city is Lai Wah Heen in the Metropolitan Hotel. They've opened a sister restaurant uptown (in the old Steak Frites) called Lai Toh Heen but I haven't had a chance to visit yet. This is Cantonese cookery at its best!

My favourite new place to stuff my face is Milagro. They serve up amazing authentic Mexican in a fun and unassuming atmosphere. We usually hit the Yonge & Lawrence location since it's just a stone's throw from the Monsters in-law.

If you want to talk outta-town, Treadwell in Port Dalhousie, On the Twenty in Jordan and Harvest in Picton are all outstanding!

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    It's not exactly "not easy to find" but Grano is a lovely neighbourhood Italian place.

For delicious fast alternatives, Burrito Brothers and Buddha Dog are both awesome. And I've been dying to try the Black Hoof, but it's about as far from veggie and healthy as you can get.

For a really expensive exclusive hidden treasure, there's always Eigensinn Farm...

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    I like both Live and Rawlicious for raw, organic food.
    www.livefoodbar.com Spadina & Dupont,
    www.rawlicious.ca Dundas west of Keele,

humber river advocate
    eigensinn farm is one place i want to go...

http://wellpreserved.ca/2009/05/25/e...stival-part-1/

by the way they opened up this place...

http://haisairestaurantbakery.com/

meals are $275 per person (fixed menu) not including tip/byob
    Last edited by singlesprocket; 03-30-2010 at 09:35 AM.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Udupi Palace is a great vegetarian Indian restaurant in the east end. Their vegan thali is really tasty, filling, and right around $10. Cafeteria style atmosphere but very clean.

Utopia Cafe in Little Italy serves AMAZING burgers and tex-mex fare, in plentiful quantities, and at a more reasonable price than charged at a lot of the gourmet burger joints that are popping up everywhere. Expect a line-up/wait at most times during peak hours.

But my real specialty is cheap take out:

Tops under $5:

Eat a Pita, Yorkville (falafel 3.75)
    Ginger, Yonge St. south of Bloor (Vietnamese Sub 2.95) There is also a chain called Ginger that I believe to be unrelated
    Kaka Lucky, Broadview Chinatown (BBQ pork, rice and broccoli $4 inc tax) this may be the best deal in Toronto following a (taste*calories)/price formula.

Keep pedaling...
    Apr 2008
    Where are the photos of the male models?

I'm not gay or anything, I just like seeing photos of startled people...

9 lives
    Udupi Palace is a great vegetarian Indian restaurant in the east end. Their vegan thali is really tasty, filling, and right around $10. Cafeteria style atmosphere but very clean.

Utopia Cafe in Little Italy serves AMAZING burgers and tex-mex fare, in plentiful quantities, and at a more reasonable price than charged at a lot of the gourmet burger joints that are popping up everywhere. Expect a line-up/wait at most times during peak hours.

But my real specialty is cheap take out:

Tops under $5:

Eat a Pita, Yorkville (falafel 3.75)
    Ginger, Yonge St. south of Bloor (Vietnamese Sub 2.95) There is also a chain called Ginger that I believe to be unrelated
    Kaka Lucky, Broadview Chinatown (BBQ pork, rice and broccoli $4 inc tax) this may be the best deal in Toronto following a (taste*calories)/price formula.

Vegetarian/Vegan meals and restaurants have come a long way in Toronto... I should know being vegetarian my whole adult life. Most decent restaurants have vegeataian choices and my experience is that most chef's will prepare a vegan alternative if none is on a menu. I've always had delicious meals at Gilead. I'm also a big fan of Fresh and like the selection at the Big Carrot.

humber river advocate
    still bitter over the don bacon incident i see...

as usual you can't help but to comment on my posts after you said you will not to me and the moderators. as was admited, the post by the poster was made in jest... if you make a post in jest you should expect a similar reponse in return. in other words if you dish it out you should be able to take it. the intentions of you post below reeks of "sour grapes"

Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    no need to call other people's posts "useless". Let them have their opinion and voice it - they are entitled to it and his opinion was not personal or directed at you...

I hope it is a fair suggestion... I am sure it will prevent new flame wars and really useless posts...

By the way, the meal looks great. I personally would not call it a meal, rather a snack... I think a strip of bacon would make it looking even better.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

sock puppet

what was I thinking, eh Chris...

I started to like your food posts. There is some good info there. Jeff was right about that plate though... Looking good but no substance...

On another, more positive note, are you bringing a team back to this years Summer Solstice?

THE COMEBACK OF THE CAMEL TOES? Maybe we can work out our differences over a couple of pints of beer? What do you think?

still bitter over the don bacon incident i see...

as usual you can't help but to comment on my posts after you said you will not to me and the moderators. as was admited, the post by the poster was made in jest... if you make a post in jest you should expect a similar reponse in return. in other words if you dish it out you should be able to take it. the intentions of you post below reeks of "sour grapes"

Evil Jr.
    That is a screaming good deal though I might have a hard time getting over the name...

More generically, there are some AMAZING Ethiopian restaurants sprinkled around the city that are really high on the value scale. PLUS they are both vegetarian and omnivore friendly AND you get to eat with your hands AND there are plentiful pancakes!

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Don't forget the great deals at Foodymart! The Asian grocery just down the way from Joyride has amazing deals at their hot food counter. We stuffed ourselves and had leftovers, all for $10 (for two).

humber river advocate
    i'm not your friend nor do i want to have a beer with you, i really don't care. your comment on the food has no substance and it is clear you have no culinary experence. unless you sat down and ate the same dish at the same place and ate similar dishes elsewhere (by the way which i have) your just blowing hot air...

I think not to your other questions. the trails in albion hills are boring, lack challange, and generally need a good overhaul. i would not waste my money to ride there. of course if the initiative is taken to improve the trails with a clear/transparent and concise trail plan utilizing the community and volunteers in a equitable manner... i would reconsider...

by the way i will race this year as i did last year, but it will be all underground events. they are alot more fun then those other hamster wheel events

Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    I started to like your food posts. There is some good info there. Jeff was right about that plate though... Looking good but no substance...

On another, more positive note, are you bringing a team back to this years Summer Solstice?

THE COMEBACK OF THE CAMEL TOES? Maybe we can work out our differences over a couple of pints of beer? What do you think?
    Last edited by singlesprocket; 03-30-2010 at 09:12 AM.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626
    Where are the photos of the male models?

I'm not gay or anything, I just like seeing photos of startled people...
    i really need to get a helmet cam...

congee queen rocks but go with a bunch of people... so much food for so little $

http://www.congeequeen.com/

their fried chile turnip patties are addictive... and the assorted fungus and six grain congee is great vegetarian fare.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Evil Jr.
    congee queen rocks but go with a bunch of people... so much food for so little $
    Mmm, congee...

When we raced (boats) in China, congee was my go-to breakfast staple (not much oatmeal in Asia).

mtbr member
    That is a screaming good deal though I might have a hard time getting over the name...

More generically, there are some AMAZING Ethiopian restaurants sprinkled around the city that are really high on the value scale. PLUS they are both vegetarian and omnivore friendly AND you get to eat with your hands AND there are plentiful pancakes!
    Forgot about Ethiopian. Dukem at Danforth and Donlands was my spot. Veggie combo for $12-ish w/tax.

Members who have read this thread: 0