Toronto commuters- Cop Alert- Mtbr.com
    banned
    Mar 2005

Upset Toronto commuters- Cop Alert

noticed something funny on the ride in...toronto cops are ticketing people on bikes today . seems to be some kind of crackdown

take care, they're watching

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    This happens every year during or immediately following bike week. I advise regular cycle commuters to take the car during this period to avoid the risk of a punitive fine. Did anyone notice the message posted on the electronic highway signs around Toronto over the weekend?

mtbr member
    ticketing for what?
    They encourage bike use and then nail you for riding?
    If it's running red lights etc, then so be it.
    If it's for not having reflectors or something stupid like that, then that sucks.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2019 Norco Search XR Steel
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MS MSP
    ticketing for what?
    They encourage bike use and then nail you for riding?
    If it's running red lights etc, then so be it.
    If it's for not having reflectors or something stupid like that, then that sucks.
    approx $90 for not having a bell.

banned
    Mar 2005
    today it was a red light on Queen, just east of Bathurst, someone going the wrong way on Adelaide at Portland, i hear they also look for bells and something they call "aggressive riding" which can be anything they say it is

usually the cops in cars don't care, the one on Queen was on a Harley, the one on Adelaide was on a bike

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004
    basdits .... why would anyone stop... let those donuteating mofo's try to catch ya

PS.. just kiddin' ociffers you know I love 'ya all
    I Ride, I Know

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JM01
    today it was a red light on Queen, just east of Bathurst, someone going the wrong way on Adelaide at Portland, i hear they also look for bells and something they call "aggressive riding" which can be anything they say it is

usually the cops in cars don't care, the one on Queen was on a Harley, the one on Adelaide was on a bike
    Ok. So, they're breaking traffic laws and the police are enforcing them, what is the problem here?

banned
    Mar 2005
    not a problem...wish they would enforce them all the time, it gets stupid out there sometimes

just a heads-up to advise that they are being enforced today, perhaps those that read this will stay off the side walks and stop at the signs before flying out in front of me (selfish, perhaps...but it makes all bikers look bad)

now if they could do something about those car doors that nail you as you pass, all would be good

mtbr member

anyone get a ticket yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Braids
    Ok. So, they're breaking traffic laws and the police are enforcing them, what is the problem here?
    If there issuing a ticket for not having a bell..thats sh!te
    but for running reds, wrong way etc. ... these are probably the same people who ride the Go for free.

Hers is what CP24 had to say about it

Rider Rights

Though there?s no doubt who?s more at risk for serious injury in a bike-car collision, the issue of who?s to blame is more difficult to determine.

Reckless motorists exist, to be certain, but some cyclists are no better. That?s why the Toronto Police have launched a two-week campaign called ?Cycle Right,? aimed at educating both riders and drivers about how to safely share the road.

Statistics show that a cyclist is injured once every 8.6 hours on Toronto streets ? the number of reasons why is numerous: dangerous and illegal manoeuvres by cyclists, motorists parking their car in designated bike lanes, and cars making turns or opening doors without looking to see if a rider is in their midst.

?Motorists and cyclists have a responsibility to share the road equally by driving safely and riding responsibly by obeying all the rules of the road,? says Act. Supt. Walter McCourt, head of Traffic Services.

Officers will be watching out for the aforementioned problems for the duration of the campaign, the goal of which is to educate both sides on the critical safety issue.

And to the cyclists out there avoiding roads altogether to stay safe ? be aware that riding on the sidewalks is a big no-no, due to the threat to pedestrians.

Safe Cycling Tips:
    Last edited by smiley; 06-13-2005 at 01:10 PM. Reason: damn fat fingers

almost there!

another stupid law...

you have to have a bell on your bike...

cops should be enforcing more important laws...

as someone who lives, drives and rides in Toronto, I don't blame the insurance companies for hiking insurance for anyone who lives in TO, I can't believe how many morons have licenses in this city.

Hoss Dee-Lux'n It
    Mar 2005
    The are out on the street today, and be sure they will be out in force on the harbour front trails on the weekends for the rest of the summer. They claim they are educating riders about safty, however all I see them doing it writting out tickets to everyone for not having bells.

What is cool... is in Mississagua the police ride on the sidewalks more then people walk on them, so they seem to look the other way when you cut along a section of sidewalk (which I do frequently getting from trail to trail).

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

New question here. what's the latest cycling law in TO ?

cops are issuing tickets for not having bells? Thats the first time I have heard of it. Whats the cycling law in TO anyway? I have lost track of it.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads-up, JM01.

Picard - you can get a ticket for the following (this isn't all of it, there's more);
    no bell
    no reflectors (front, rear and side)
    no helmet IF you're under 16 (not 100% sure on age)
    failing to yield right of way to pedestrians
    failing to stop at traffic light
    failing to stop at stop sign
    riding on sidewalk
    riding wrecklessly

There's many other's, but those would be the one's that you'd more than likely get a ticket for. These laws have been in place in the GTA for at LEAST 7 years.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    Thanks for the heads-up, JM01.

Picard - you can get a ticket for the following (this isn't all of it, there's more);
    no bell
    no reflectors (front, rear and side)
    no helmet IF you're under 16 (not 100% sure on age)
    failing to yield right of way to pedestrians
    failing to stop at traffic light
    failing to stop at stop sign
    riding on sidewalk
    riding wrecklessly

There's many other's, but those would be the one's that you'd more than likely get a ticket for. These laws have been in place in the GTA for at LEAST 7 years.
    Does this mean that I have to decorate my bike like a walmart bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard
    I don't think it has anything to do with WalMart - just intelligent riding. Worry about it if you ride at night in the city often. If you ride at night a lot WITH your lights then you probably don't have to worry about it. The idea is that you can be seen.

sock puppet

didnt you buy it at Wallmart?

ok, ok... maybe Canadian Tire.. sorry...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    cops are issuing tickets for not having bells? Thats the first time I have heard of it. Whats the cycling law in TO anyway? I have lost track of it.
    The laws in TO pertaining to bikes would be no different than the rest of the province. AFAIK bikes are considered a vehicle under the Highway Traffic Act.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

banned
    Mar 2005
    dr. gridlock has the answer in yesterday's globe

weird going home in the rain yesterday...felt like every cop was watching verrrrry closely. its true...paranoia wil destroy ya

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...rce_login=true

sorry...need a subscription read...article about the 2 week crackdown in TO this week.
    Last edited by JM01; 06-14-2005 at 06:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    theres like over 25 tickets that you can break and handed a ticket.

http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/cycling/pdf/hta.pdf

have fun following it all, cause we all know some of you follow all the rules.

banned
    Mar 2005
    found a cop hiding behind a telphone pole on the SE corner of bloor & bathurst this morning...he jumped out and pulled over a lincoln going through a red beside me (i was going through an orange and almost made it)...better her than me.

good god...i'm now seeing them everywhere and getting paranoid about my noon and homeward ride. Must be how a deer feels in the first week of november.

Hoss Dee-Lux'n It
    Mar 2005
    Link to MTO cycling laws http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/pub...skills.htm#law

Helmet is required for anyone under 18. Reflectors and lights are only required between 1/2 before dusk and 1/2 after dawn.

Bell's are a must, and it must work, however I have found out, you only need one that works. I have mine mounted upside down on the underside of my bars. My riding buddy has his mounted on the front fork with a zip tie. Why? Cause he got the ticket last year and is rebelling againt the man.

Mar 2004
    Improper right/left turn for 90 bucks, classic...

banned
    Mar 2005
    looks like they mean business..just did a quick run to MEC to look at their new panaracer and maxxis tires (very nice, good price)...there was a cop hiding behind a pole across the street checking out the bikers coming to the store. got a dirty look when i cut across king at their front door, but had no choice because they stooped the traffic for the condo construction at the corner

geez

I already rode that
    I got stopped by a cop when coming across the bloor/danforth bridge and he b!tched to me about how I passed some other cyclist and how it was dangerous. I just nodded and he let me go. Passing that other cyclist made it dangeous since the guy was riding so far out from the curb and just far enough that you still couldnt pass on the inside either.... But this happened quite some time ago not during this blitz going on now.

Everyone should have a bell or such on their bike anyways if they are riding through the city and ring it when passing bike lane hoggers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by icodeit
    Link to MTO cycling laws http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/pub...skills.htm#law

Helmet is required for anyone under 18. Reflectors and lights are only required between 1/2 before dusk and 1/2 after dawn.

Bell's are a must, and it must work, however I have found out, you only need one that works. I have mine mounted upside down on the underside of my bars. My riding buddy has his mounted on the front fork with a zip tie. Why? Cause he got the ticket last year and is rebelling againt the man.
    Thank you for the corrections, icodeit.

About your buddy - bell on his fork? Does it ring when he gets full travel?

Sorry, another "funny in MY head" thing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

New question here. left & right hand turn ??

How do you make left and right turn with your hand? I haven't done it for long time since I was 2yrs old ????

banned
    Mar 2005
    hand signals from a baby carriage?

looks like they will get you anyway...if you use hand signals you can be charged with not keeping both hands on the handlebar