tires for racing in ontario .. ust- Mtbr.com

Feb 2004

tires for racing in ontario .. ust

OK, what is the everyones best choice for xc racing tires in very dry sand / hardpack and silt,( very dry sand almost like talc.) with sand corners, I wonder what tires everyone is using , specs etc and in particular those that wont break away or cause understeer.

Thoughts. Post replys.

Apr 2005

I find that..

..Hutchinson Pythons work well in the soft stuff we have in Ontario as well as rolling faston hardpack. Get a wider (2.0) version and run moderately low pressure, and you will be set.

mtbr member

Tires I use

Ok,

I really needed to answer this post, because I am a big tire critic. I am very careful about what tires I put on my bike!
    Last year alone, I changed the tires on my XC rims 3 times and still was not content!
    I first had Larson TT's on 1.9......they were ok but the tread wore off too soon!
    Then I tried Tioga's .........in one word......CRAP!
    Then in the fall and winter months I had on nokians 2.3......a lot of knobby....but too heavy.

So this year, I was determined to settle my tire issue!!
    At the bike show in Toronto, I asked all the vendors for advice and checked out all the inventory. Finally, I decided on Michelin's XCR Dry (kevlar) 2.0. Along with being super light, I have found so far this year they stick to a hardpack surface like glue! I was worried about them in muddy conditions. In the wet, their not as good but perform well. I found that reducing the tire pressure compensates this loss of grip.

Dude, pick up a pair, their worth it!
    They are pricy though, at the show I got a great deal!
    In the stores expect to pay around $70.00 each tire.

Pedalhard!
    Later

Bike Junkie

Tires

It really depends on location and conditions. But here's my list of tires and where and what I use them for.

WTB Motoraptors 2.4 -- general trail tire, sand. Great for Durham Forest/Glen Major with a lot of extra cushion. Bad in the wet. Large volume lets me run at 28psi with no troubles of pinching.

Intense System 4 2.35 -- wet/damp conditions tire. Sticks to wet rocks and roots like nothing else. Ravenshoe, Kelso

Michelin Hot S -- loose dirt and hard pack tire. Lots of corner bite. Albion Hills, Mansfield come to mind. These tires need to be kept inflated and not run at low psi.

Hutchinson Python -- pavement, hard pack. They don't wear out and they are fast, fast with a lot of volume for added suspension. Albion Hills

Panaracer Trailblaster -- general trail tire with mud shedding. Pretty good when it's wet/damp and great in the mud.

Ritchey Tom Slicks -- because I don't own a road bike

rad to the power of sick
    hehe..2.4's might be a tad to big for xc racing.

Continental explorer pros (UST) are one of my favorite tires if your going to be on sandy, softer hard pack. If your talking real, nice dry clay hard pack then take a look at bontrager revolt SS (non ust). I am using michelin Comp s UST's right now and love them. Extremely fast and they provide ample grip to carry you through the loose stuff, however, these wear out faster than anticipated and are very pricey. It's essentially a pure racing tire top of the line.

Cheers
    Aaron
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I have tried several different tires and are currently running Cont Pros front and Hutch Airllights on the back - good set up.

Feb 2004
    Nokian NBX Lite 2.0! ...these have the most grip of all the XC tires and also have lower rolling resistance than the Pythons, Michelin XCR dry, Conti Explorers/Twisters as well as all the others. The only XC tire that rolls faster is a Fast Fred 2.0 but it is lost in the corners.

forget about heavy UST ..those tires are boat anchors and are even more expensive... try regular tires with sealant if you want to run tubeless.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Schwalbe RRs

Used Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.1 USTs at the hardwood canada cup. They rocked. Screaming fast, still enough grip on the loose climbs. Washed out a bit in the sandy corners (esp. the BMX track section), but a lot of other tires did too.

I'll be running Hutch Spiders if it's wet.

Others have said good things about the pythons (new generation with the taller side knobs) and Michelin XCR Dry/Comp S Lights

sock puppet

Michelin Jet S UST 2.0

Tried:

Kenda Nevegal Lite
    Hutch Spider
    Hutch Python
    Specialized Roll X Pro

Michelin is by far the FASTEST tire with enough grip in dry conditions...

Quote Originally Posted by eurorider
    Nokian NBX Lite 2.0! ...these have the most grip of all the XC tires and also have lower rolling resistance than the Pythons, Michelin XCR dry, Conti Explorers/Twisters as well as all the others. The only XC tire that rolls faster is a Fast Fred 2.0 but it is lost in the corners.

forget about heavy UST ..those tires are boat anchors and are even more expensive... try regular tires with sealant if you want to run tubeless.

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    Tried:

Kenda Nevegal Lite
    Hutch Spider
    Hutch Python
    Specialized Roll X Pro

Michelin is by far the FASTEST tire with enough grip in dry conditions...
    you may be right but if the trail gets humid or wet, that tire will be useless...it's best to compare apples to apples ..the Jet S is categorized as a semi-slick and isn't even a current tire. It has the lowest cornering grip compared to the tires I listed so you will lose lots of time in the twisty singletrack. Not a versatile tire at all and I'm not even sure it rolls faster than an NBX lite which corners like it's on rails.

Bike Junkie

2 possibilities

Well it's between the Hutchinson Pythons and the Michelin Hot S's.

The Pythons are perfect for just about everything except for that newly cut section. The soil is loose and the twisty single track pretty much demands some good cornering knobs. A low rolling resistance tire (semi-slick) with good edge knobs would probably do the trick.

I like the cornering knobs of the Hot S's; but they aren't a very supple tire. so running them on my hard tail will make it a little harsh.

I think it's going to be a game day decision. But I'm going up for a night ride on Thursday night so I'll see how the Pythons fair.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

New question here. Does XCR dry grip well in wet hardpack ground ?

Would Michelin XCR dry work in wet hard pack ground of Durham forest? Is the XCR dry identical to comp S? Does anyone have any info ?

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard
    Would Michelin XCR dry work in wet hard pack ground of Durham forest? Is the XCR dry identical to comp S? Does anyone have any info ?
    Here's the thing: the tires I listed (XCR dry/Comp S light, Python and Racing Ralph), are all the finest all-around XC tires in the world but the problem arises when the trail becomes damp, humid, wet, etc. ...their cornering performance diminishes significantly.

The Nokian NBX lite 2.0 has more substantial tread/ deeper cornering blocks so it doesn't get affected like those other top tires. It already has more grip in the dry as well especially if there is any loose terrain.

Add the fact that the NBX lite rolls faster than the others and tire choice is a no brainer!

Kris Sneddon of Kona Les Gets was using them at the Canada Cup at Hardwood. I guess he let his teammate Roland Green go for a spin on them and he must have liked them because Roland just started using them as well. He just raced on them at the Nationals at Mt. Ste. Anne.

sock puppet

that is why i said - if the course is dry...

you may be right but if the trail gets humid or wet, that tire will be useless...it's best to compare apples to apples ..the Jet S is categorized as a semi-slick and isn't even a current tire. It has the lowest cornering grip compared to the tires I listed so you will lose lots of time in the twisty singletrack. Not a versatile tire at all and I'm not even sure it rolls faster than an NBX lite which corners like it's on rails.
    by the way, this tire may not be current, but it won the olympics races... i dont get that point...

i sure doesnt have the grip of knobbies in corners, but with good technique, it will not be slower by any means on any singletrack... keep in mind that i compared it to Kenda Nevegal Lites which WON the MBR shootout and which is a really good tire (used it all last year for racing as well)...

if you are not sure if Jet S rolls faster than the NBX lite, then you have to drop your pipe immediately..

just look at the tread pattern man...

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    by the way, this tire may not be current, but it won the olympics races... i dont get that point...

i sure doesnt have the grip of knobbies in corners, but with good technique, it will not be slower by any means on any singletrack... keep in mind that i compared it to Kenda Nevegal Lites which WON the MBR shootout and which is a really good tire (used it all last year for racing as well)...

if you are not sure if Jet S rolls faster than the NBX lite, then you have to drop your pipe immediately..

just look at the tread pattern man...
    the Jet S is now called the XC Hard Terrain ..I'm not sure if they made any modifications.

I'm not sure what you are talking about with regards to the Olympics. Absalon won gold and he was riding an XCR dry on the rear with a prototype front tire (similar to a Hot S).

"with good technique, it will not be slower by any means on any singletrack"?? ..maybe you are the one who should drop your pipe immediately. I'm sure the world cup pros have better technique and skill than you so if they feel it doesn't offer sufficient traction what makes you think it does for you? ...maybe you prefer to take it easy on the corners...

Kenda Nevegal Lites? I'm not interested in some MBR shootout. You have to be careful who you believe. With that said, I'm sure they are great tires but the Nokians still have the best grip to rolling resistance ratio.

No, I am not sure if a Jet S rolls faster than an NBX lite because tread pattern alone is not the sole factor in determining a tire's rolling resistance. You would be surprised how many "knobbies" actually have lower rolling resistance than tires with hardly any tread at all!

sock puppet

you are da man...

obviously you know it all

good for you...

the Jet S is now called the XC Hard Terrain ..I'm not sure if they made any modifications.

I'm not sure what you are talking about with regards to the Olympics. Absalon won gold and he was riding an XCR dry on the rear with a prototype front tire (similar to a Hot S).

"with good technique, it will not be slower by any means on any singletrack"?? ..maybe you are the one who should drop your pipe immediately. I'm sure the world cup pros have better technique and skill than you so if they feel it doesn't offer sufficient traction what makes you think it does for you? ...maybe you prefer to take it easy on the corners...

Kenda Nevegal Lites? I'm not interested in some MBR shootout. You have to be careful who you believe. With that said, I'm sure they are great tires but the Nokians still have the best grip to rolling resistance ratio.

No, I am not sure if a Jet S rolls faster than an NBX lite because tread pattern alone is not the sole factor in determining a tire's rolling resistance. You would be surprised how many "knobbies" actually have lower rolling resistance than tires with hardly any tread at all!