tire pressures- Mtbr.com

Thread: tire pressures

Custom User Title

tire pressures

I am curious about what pressures to run in different conditons, like rocks, fast single track and those days where the conditions vary alot... this seemed like as good of a place to ask as anywhere....

that and I finally have a pump with a guage.
    "an inch an hour...two feet per day..."

mtbr member
    For starters, tire pressure is relative to body weight and the amount of air volume a particular tire holds. For arguments sake, lets say you're 180 lbs and using a 2.1 tire, I would recommend 30-35 PSI for fast, flowy singletrack with some roots and technical climbs (or less if you're running tubeless). For somewhere really rocky (kolapore, 3 stage,etc.) you'll want to increase that by about 5 PSI.

If you're on smooth, fast trails with little texture or using a skinnier tire you may want to increase the pressure. The fatter your tire, the lower pressure you can get away with and the lower the pressure the better your traction will be. Just don't go too low or you will pinch flat.

p.s. if you heavily coat your tubes with baby powder you will be less likely to pinch flat.

some kind of hero...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Payer
    I am curious about what pressures to run in different conditons, like rocks, fast single track and those days where the conditions vary alot... this seemed like as good of a place to ask as anywhere....

that and I finally have a pump with a guage.
    Good luck getting a meanful answer on this one...

There are so many variables, I don't want to get into it, but here's what I have found:

1) no lower than 32 psi for any condition due to pinch flatting and risk to the rims.
    2) I've never gone above 50 PSI for anything other than inflating a stubborn tire...

So within that range, the low pressure should afford you more traction and better floatation in sand and very loose conditions. For tube - type tires, 32 psi. with some risk of flatting and rim damage depending on your tire construction. Need better climbing - lower the pressure for most conditions.

At the high end - on dry clay with semi slicks, you can run very high pressures with the expectation of lower rolling resistance and adequate traction. High pressure with really knobby tires might not gain you much .

For everything inbetween an average pressure of 38 to 42psi should be fine.

I usually run a bit higher pressure in the front - for no real reason other than pinch flatting when hitting rocks or other stuff.

Now, every tire has a sweet spot for your riding style and conditions. Many riders will never know the difference of 10psi in a tire .

The next important thing to remember is that your tire guage is probably different than everyone else's . So it really comes down to your own judgement!

Cheers
    GEVELTERSCHMIDT RACING

sock puppet

hmmm, interesting...

first you say "good luck getting a meaningful answer on this one..."

and then you give a meaningful answer, as well as our chick Merdoff...

no need to underestimate this board - there is alway some good input here - but one who asks will have to make the final call, taking into account the most meaningful suggestions...

for my 205 pounds, i run around 50 in semislicks if i want to go really fast (24 or 8 hours races or evening races...)... i run 40 to 45 when i race on small knobs (Mich Comp S Light or Hutch Pythons)... for all mountain riding in dry conditions i go with 35 to 40 (Kenda Nevegal 2.1). In variable conditions and if i need extra traction i pump them up to 30ish...

tubeless tires - no stans here...

hope this helps...

O.

Quote Originally Posted by airman
    Good luck getting a meanful answer on this one...

There are so many variables, I don't want to get into it, but here's what I have found:

1) no lower than 32 psi for any condition due to pinch flatting and risk to the rims.
    2) I've never gone above 50 PSI for anything other than inflating a stubborn tire...

So within that range, the low pressure should afford you more traction and better floatation in sand and very loose conditions. For tube - type tires, 32 psi. with some risk of flatting and rim damage depending on your tire construction. Need better climbing - lower the pressure for most conditions.

At the high end - on dry clay with semi slicks, you can run very high pressures with the expectation of lower rolling resistance and adequate traction. High pressure with really knobby tires might not gain you much .

For everything inbetween an average pressure of 38 to 42psi should be fine.

I usually run a bit higher pressure in the front - for no real reason other than pinch flatting when hitting rocks or other stuff.

Now, every tire has a sweet spot for your riding style and conditions. Many riders will never know the difference of 10psi in a tire .

The next important thing to remember is that your tire guage is probably different than everyone else's . So it really comes down to your own judgement!

Cheers

I already rode that
    When my tires start to fold when turning I up the pressure. I think thats like under 25psi when it does that to me. I can still ride like that but its an uneasy feeling turning hard and tires folding like that.

180lbs and I run 30-32 psi for everywhere I go with 2.1's.
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

rad to the power of sick
    Like above posters said.. highly variable.

However I am always running my front tire 7-10psi lower than my rear. I hate running a hard front tire. Even if im riding fairly easy terrain, the front tire is always significantly softer.

As a whole I think I run my tires a bit higher than the 'norm'.

cheers,
    Aaron
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

Muskoka
    I'm 160 lb. and run Michelin Comp Lite S tubeless about 30-32 in front & 2-3 lb more in back. I ride mostly Buckwallow ( lots of rock,roots,& technical) & if I go much harder I just find myself bouncing off everything with poor control. That said, 2 of the fastest racers riding there in the Mudslinger series, one rides high 20's, the other rides @ 60 lbs!! Both are skinny, light weight guys.I think its mostly personal preference, but your weight should factor into it.

NormalNorm
    I weigh in at 230lbs and use ust tubeless tires and run them between 30-40psi. Really like the Specialized Fastracks.....great tire.

mtbr member
    i'm about 210 in gear, and i run 40-42 PSI on my Fire XC 2.1's.
    Normal riding, with tubes.
    I run a bit less with my 2.35 Minions.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon (sold)
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

Members who have read this thread: 0