Tire choice for squeezer- Mtbr.com
    Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004

Tire choice for squeezer

I have a question about tires for the upcoming squeezer race. The weather looks like its going to cooperate(crosses fingers) so from what i have heard the course is pretty much dry with the occasional puddle that should be cleard up by sunday. What i cant remember is how rocky was the course. i was thinking of running my semis(kenda kosmic lites) for the race but wasnt sure if they would hold out. i have never ridden the area without all the mud and water so i cant recall whats underneath. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

trev

Mar 2004
    I am not sure what your tire type is but there are a few areas that are a little rocky but nothing extremely rocky though.

I don't know if they have changed the route too much from what it was a couple of years ago but last year they took us out of some of the bruce trail areas because of all of the rain that they got before the race last year.

This race is one of my favourites and is the first race I ever did 4 yrs ago...

mtbr member

A fast tire for sure

Hey how's it going. I pre-rode the course Saturday and it's definitely going to be a dry race. There are a few rocky/rooty sections so it's hard to say what a good tire is. I rode it with Panaracer Fire XC tires, but I think something less agressive would definitely work.

You interested in pre-riding the course this week? I might do a race lap either Wednesday or Thursday morning.

Dan

bi-winning
    i think you can classify most of the course as hardpack. sure there are rooty sections, but i don't see that that would greatly affect your tire choice. as for rocky, there does not seem to be too much of that. you should not need something that is super aggressive. nothing too fat either. It definitely will be pretty dry.

personally, i don't have different tires to swap between, so my decison is easy yay. simplicity is good.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004

sorry...

no preride for me ...waterdown tonight, road ride tomorrow..rest the rest of the week. plus i have to work during the day. my other tires are fire XC with kevlar bead - but the kendas are so fast and a 440grams lighter but sketchy like crazy in the mud. whats a boy to do. thanks for all the imput.

rad to the power of sick
    hey trevor,

is that you? or have I got the wrong guy? Its me Aaron... how ya been? Pop me an email i might do the squeezer..
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004

well...

Quote Originally Posted by trekracer8000
    hey trevor,

is that you? or have I got the wrong guy? Its me Aaron... how ya been? Pop me an email i might do the squeezer..
    i guess i chose the rght tire as i had a great race and placed far higher than i thought i would/could. Yes aaron it is me, i tried to send you an email but it keeps on bouncing back. you should have been there it was a great ride, i came in 64th overall but was still beaten by two chicks(not that there is anything wrong with that), and one ghost? whatever that is. 15/155 20-29 men.

mtbr member
    I was using Kenda Klimax Lites, they're pretty quick but not so good in loose stuff. I could probably blame the tires for my endo in the rutted gravel road, but I think it was just stupid riding that caused it!

mtbr member

Tires

I bought a set of Michelin Comp S Lite tires a few days before the race and I'm really happy I did. They were very, very fast tires. That gravel downhill was super sketchy (in Shorthills) and I almost bailed there too. My method was take 'er slow because it's better that than spending time fixing your bike after a big fall.

Dan

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004

yah...

Quote Originally Posted by ddakin
    I bought a set of Michelin Comp S Lite tires a few days before the race and I'm really happy I did. They were very, very fast tires. That gravel downhill was super sketchy (in Shorthills) and I almost bailed there too. My method was take 'er slow because it's better that than spending time fixing your bike after a big fall.

Dan
    that hill was very sketchy on my kenda kosmic lites. i just reminded myself relax, weight back, and don't run into the guy infront of you.
    you never win if you play it safe everytime.

rad to the power of sick
    Hey trev..

my new email addy is [email protected], pop me an email!

Since we;re talking about tires...

Theres one tire i highly reccomend. The continental explorer pro's. They roll fast, are very light and grip in anything but the most extreme conditions. I am running the comp s tubeless right now, and although i must say that its a very fast rolling tire and is extremely light, i find the cornering grip is only satisfactory. The tire slides controllably around corners so thats a plus 'cause unlike some tires which just give out, the michelins allow you to correct yourself. but like i said, it certainly doesnt corner like your on rails.

Another tire that has been pretty good for me in the terrain that we encounter on the golden horseshoe is the maxxis highroller 2.1. It rolls surprisingly fast for such an aggressive knobby and performs amazing at moderate air pressure. Now this one corners on rails.. the aggressive corner knobs bite the dirt hard. Braking on sketchy decents is unbelievable. also because its a high volume xc tire its very comfortable.

But overall, Conti Explorer Pro's take the cake..

happy trails!
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

mtbr member
    I picked up some Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1's for a good price at the swap meet on Saturday, tried them at Kelso last night, they are great! Almost as quick as the Kenda Klimax Lites, but lots more control in the loose stuff and some actual braking on steep descents instead of uncontrollable skidding.