From text books to trails- Mtbr.com
    bi-winning

From text books to trails

Well, school is getting more intense every week. Bike only comes out on weekends. But of course, it is better than not riding at all.

My room of study.

A place to clear my head

Can ride down that, but not up. 'ts slippery.

A view of McMaster. It did not come out nice, so i darkened. It was way too hazy.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

NormalNorm
    Hey Ryan, that's not haze.........it's smog. Welcome to Hamilton

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by norm
    Hey Ryan, that's not haze.........it's smog. Welcome to Hamilton
    Uh, ya, you are probably right on that one.

Either way, get to work and type up a nice race report for the Kelso O-Cup
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

NormalNorm
    Is that west mt./iroquois heights in hamilton? Some of the photos look like east mt. by red hill?

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by norm
    Is that west mt./iroquois heights in hamilton? Some of the photos look like east mt. by red hill?
    i turned onto scenic drive, and then picked up the trail off of scenic. (first pic) then i mainly just followed the bruce trail markings, and then exited the bruce via a side trail to wilson street.

NormalNorm
    yeah, thats the west mt. cool pics. the photos does justice....the trails don't look the same.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    great pictures - I was going to start bringing my camera with me as that is my regular haunt. It is 10 minutes from my house so it is easy access. That is west mt./iroquois spend some more time exploring - there is some more single track off the main trail if you are going towards the highway to the left. At the top of a big hill there some kids have built some jumps with one huge one. I am still waiting to see someone going off it though.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by kaikara
    there is some more single track off the main trail if you are going towards the highway to the left. At the top of a big hill there some kids have built some jumps with one huge one. I am still waiting to see someone going off it though.
    i can't quite gather where exactly you are talking about. at what point to i go left? at some point before i cross the highway, via the bridge, i'm assuming

NormalNorm
    great pictures - I was going to start bringing my camera with me as that is my regular haunt. It is 10 minutes from my house so it is easy access. That is west mt./iroquois spend some more time exploring - there is some more single track off the main trail if you are going towards the highway to the left. At the top of a big hill there some kids have built some jumps with one huge one. I am still waiting to see someone going off it though.
    Funny you say that.....one night, me and a couple of buddies did a night ride throught there. My friend is feeling really brave and decides to get some air off the three jumps. So we ride over to the other end to watch...shining our lights on him. I don't think i've laughed so hard when he endos on all three, but tries to get air on the big one(he didn't wipeout...but damn close). It's burned in my memory.....he still thinks he landed them perfect.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    i can't quite gather where exactly you are talking about. at what point to i go left? at some point before i cross the highway, via the bridge, i'm assuming
    Sorry it is hard to be a little more clear without markers. Just before you hit the bridge to go across the highway if you look to the left you should see a single track heading directly away from the main trail. If you look back there will be a steep rocky decent that runs almost parallel to the main trail. Where that rocky descent is coming from is where all the jumps are. If you follow the single track that is to the left just before the bridge it will take you there. There is some more single track in there too along with the jumps. There are other ways to get there too. As you go along the main trail you will see smaller and bigger trails heading off - just give them a try as most will loop back onto the main trail at some point.

There isn't a huge amount bit there is enough. I have a regular run that I do through there that also takes me down the main trail to the garth street stairs and then back up along with some of the single track going off from the main trail. If you want a workout try a run up the "ski hill" that is to the right (or left if you are coming back up the hill) just before (or after) you hit the upper paradise stairs.

bi-winning
    Sorry it is hard to be a little more clear without markers. Just before you hit the bridge to go across the highway if you look to the left you should see a single track heading directly away from the main trail. If you look back there will be a steep rocky decent that runs almost parallel to the main trail. Where that rocky descent is coming from is where all the jumps are. If you follow the single track that is to the left just before the bridge it will take you there. There is some more single track in there too along with the jumps. There are other ways to get there too. As you go along the main trail you will see smaller and bigger trails heading off - just give them a try as most will loop back onto the main trail at some point.

There isn't a huge amount bit there is enough. I have a regular run that I do through there that also takes me down the main trail to the garth street stairs and then back up along with some of the single track going off from the main trail. If you want a workout try a run up the "ski hill" that is to the right (or left if you are coming back up the hill) just before (or after) you hit the upper paradise stairs.

i went for a quick 35 min ride today. started off of scenic drive again, and branched left off the bruce, and did come across some singletrack, and ~4 ~1' jumps. The trail does branch off several times.

Yup, just need to explore when i can.

I am lucky to once again have trails less than 10 min from "home."

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    good to see youve found the iroquois heights area. thats the best single track ive found near hamilton (but its not long enough). I know what you mean about the school work. I usually manage to get out for a ride on friday, or sometime on the weekend, and thats about it. Maybe one other time during the week.

Last weeks ride was a 3.5 hour trip to waterdown and back. It was good except the trails in waterdown were too muddy to be that good, but it was still fun. And it was good to have someone else who knew the route.

mtbr member
    Yeah, Ryan, that IS haze. You know it's called Steeltown, right?

Well, at least you're headed in the right direction - North! By the time your done school, one or two more moves, you'll wind up somewhere between Toronto and Bolton - the center of the universe.

Looks like a nice enough place to suffer and be totally mislead prior to "living". Hopefully you don't get too distracted by those other students (the ones with the boobies) and pass with flying colours ..... to be a waiter.

So, yeah, enjoy.

And we'll have to see about getting you out on the weekends more often. Call it "jail break weekends" or something like that.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    pass ..... to be a waiter.
    f that. the food services industry is for the "artsies."

some kind of hero...
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    f that. the food services industry is for the "artsies."
    Good one!

Haven't heard that term for a few years!

Don't forget about basket weaving...

"Can I supersize that for you?"

GEVELTERSCHMIDT RACING

bi-winning

The adventures continue

i spent about 4.5h on my bike this weekend

saturday: started with west mountain, picking up the trail off of scenic again. got to the bottom. did the monarch trail heading out of dundas valley, when i really intended to go in. did not know which way to go. so, naturally, i guessed the wrong way, and eventually ended up by MAC. it's like that place draws me in. even on weekends i end up there. so, i rode around campus just a little. it was deserted saturday morning. then, took the rail trail back to the dundas valley. there was actually a marathon going on. i saw a lot of runners on the rail trail.

Sunday. Headed to dundas valley to check out the headwaters trail. it was acually pretty good. actual dirt, not gravel. there were many hikers, saw some horses, and a few bikers. i got turned around a lil when i came to a gravel road, but eventually found my way. there is one massive climb too. boy was that a workout. i busted out the granny gear to get me up that one. but, what goes up, must come down, so i caught some nice speed. it was quite muddy in spots. me and my bike got quite dirty. i liked the trail.

my legs are toast now though. there are more hills here than i am used to. i like that though.

i think i will be ok to put in a decent performance at the squeezer next weekend. don't think i have lost much fitness at all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    yeah when i got to hamilton i found there were way more hills then i was used to as well. and even now, comparing with other trails ive been to, dundas valley has the most hills.

Members who have read this thread: 0