Super-D?!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Super-D?!

I Strava Hamburgers

Super-D?!

After a summer of pointing my SS up, I keep reading about Super-D.

I've tried to look around for more information, and I see its a mix of XC *which I enjoy* and DH which I'm finding I want to do more and more as the weight peels off and I'm getting stronger.

I've seen some videos where it looks pretty boring, there's one of the Sea Otter Classic, and honestly it looks like its just a long ride down a gravel hill road. I've seen others where it seems there's a lot of tech involved.

How are the Super-D races here in Ontario and what should I do to prepare for them? I know I "should" ride a full squish for it, everyone says so, but I'm not sold if its just a fast downhill trek on some gravel road.

Anyone want to enlighten the dumb clyde?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    After a summer of pointing my SS up, I keep reading about Super-D.

I've tried to look around for more information, and I see its a mix of XC *which I enjoy* and DH which I'm finding I want to do more and more as the weight peels off and I'm getting stronger.

I've seen some videos where it looks pretty boring, there's one of the Sea Otter Classic, and honestly it looks like its just a long ride down a gravel hill road. I've seen others where it seems there's a lot of tech involved.

How are the Super-D races here in Ontario and what should I do to prepare for them? I know I "should" ride a full squish for it, everyone says so, but I'm not sold if its just a fast downhill trek on some gravel road.

Anyone want to enlighten the dumb clyde?
    I rode the Super-D at Kelso this year. Winning times were just over six minutes. The winners rode XC race bikes. The course started on th flats then went down some fairly shallow stuff, there was s short climb you could do on momentum, then Snakes and Ladders for the “DH” bit before finishing in the meadows.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Sirbikealot does a super (pun intended) job setting up these courses. There's lots to keep you entertained without getting you in way over your head. They're downhill lite - no jumps, gaps or other craziness, and a few ups to keep the full DH rigs at a disadvantage. I raced these on my SS with a squishy fork, and I think raganwald may have raced SS too. Not ideal, but not terrible either. I highly recommend trying one! As far as getting ready? Just do your mandatory pre-ride(s) and you'll be fine. If you really want to be competitive, practice quick short sprints with cyclocross mounts to give you an advantage out of the LeMans start. Seriously - the level of intensity is crazy-high. Expect to be red-lined for five minutes.