Super-D #1 @ Kelso- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Super-D #1 @ Kelso

Hello all, been a long time since I posted something not directly IMBA related.

Is anyone thinking of doing the Super-D #1 at Kelso? Anyone done them last year? I was curious what the fees are and format.

I see on Sirbikealot's (redesigned) site that the entry is $35, but what about the OCA citizen permit? Can I even buy one onsite?

I've heard the format is a one run mass start format. Sounds like fun! Do you get practice at least earlier in the day? When is the official start time?

Thanks all, hopefully I'll see some of you there.
    Jason Murray
    Rep for Ontario, IMBA Canada
    Visit the IMBA Canada site to keep current on all things IMBA in Canada.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    I'll try to answer your questions one at a time!

Sadly, we'll be out of town for Easter, but we did all the Super-Ds last year and had a BLAST! Highly recommended.

On-site fee was the same as pay-in-advance. I'm fairly certain there were OCA types there issuing day-of permits etc. You could always email Peter to be 100% certain, but I'm 95% sure. A citizen permit was fine for the Super-Ds.

You're correct about the Le Mans style start. Last year they were pretty short but crazy. There was a designated start line and re-mount line and your bike was somewhere in between. The fields are divided up. The women start first, then ten minutes later the young punks and ten minutes after that, the old fogeys.

You HAVE to do at least one practice run earlier in the day to be allowed to race. Make sure the marshal at the top applies a sticker to your plate. We typically did at least three practice runs. Those were almost as fun as the race, and it's pure luxury to take the lift to the top of the hill.

I can't speak for this year's official start time, but I think it's generally 1pm. There's a lunch break from 12-1, so you should get there by 10am at the latest to get in a couple of runs.

I did them on my singlespeed with a squishy fork, which might not have been perfect, but was still a blast. A full squish XC bike is probably the ideal rig. DH bikes are tough to get up the little rises in the course, and good in other spots, but are generally over-specified.

Honestly, these were probably the most fun races we did last year. Just a pile of giggles. And really good for practicing all-out sprinting.

mtbr member
    I just registered, so I'll be there on my SS. I'm normally a "pick your way through the gnarl carefully" kind of guy, so I don't expect to be competitive. But I'll be there on a green Ibis if you'd like to say Hello.

www.sirbikealotracing.com
    Citizen permit - ok and u can buy a one event licence onsite all yr
    Practice 9:30-12 race 1:30 pm
    One mandatory run in practice time
    Chairlift access

http://sirbikealotracing.com/about/race-day/

See you all there, it really is a super fun event!
    : : :http://sirbikealotracing.com/ : : : : : : : : :

www.eastcoastopen.com
    DH/XC/Dual

Evil Jr.
    Typically, last year, I would do three pre-race runs. The first was almost coasting with stops to session any tech. The next would be at "easy" pace. The last was at "race" pace. By that point, I was ready for lunch and the lifts would stop anyway.

Have fun! I'm disappointed to miss the first one of the season.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

super d course will be the same as last years first course for all those who were out last yr, kelso wasnt officially open as of yesterday so i cant post a map yet
    See you sat!

www.eastcoastopen.com
    DH/XC/Dual

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    This sounds good. Does anyone know if the DH runs at Kelso will be open on Friday (GF Apr 22)?

Quote Originally Posted by 2_WD
    This sounds good. Does anyone know if the DH runs at Kelso will be open on Friday (GF Apr 22)?
    No they wont good friday its stat holiday for kelso

www.eastcoastopen.com
    DH/XC/Dual

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbikealot
    No they wont good friday its stat holiday for kelso
    Thank you sir

mtbr member
    I have friends--yes it's true--who would like to spectate. I imagine the course and lifts are closed for practice runs only. Can they bring their bikes and ride the trails that aren't part of the course?

Quote Originally Posted by raganwald
    I have friends--yes it's true--who would like to spectate. I imagine the course and lifts are closed for practice runs only. Can they bring their bikes and ride the trails that aren't part of the course?
    yes ofcourse, kelso will be open for regular mtb riding, however a good deal of the trails will be intersected by the super d and DH race, likely the best bet is for them to ride the south side trails, furthest from the ski hill, they 'll have a great time watchin and riding though

www.eastcoastopen.com
    DH/XC/Dual

mtbr member
    sirbikealot, I just wanted to say "Thanks!" We had an absolute blast. Good luck with your DH event tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by raganwald
    sirbikealot, I just wanted to say "Thanks!" We had an absolute blast. Good luck with your DH event tomorrow...
    I super stoked you guys enjoyed yourselves, I love your enthusiasm and hope to see you at the next race!

www.eastcoastopen.com
    DH/XC/Dual

Pre-Race update for Horseshoe race May 7th

For the Super D course we've crafted a course different from the
    first course of the year, this will be have more fireroad, descending and
    speed sections, bring your A-game folks. The Super D course will of be
    friendly to XC, all mountain bikes as always. All first time Super D racers
    will receive HALF PRICE ADMISSION so come try the newest and most exciting
    style of mountain bike racing in years.

www.eastcoastopen.com
    DH/XC/Dual

Tested out the course last night, TREMENDOUS

Starts with small climbs dbltrack for 20 sec then straight into songle track with roots and rocks, then into amazing switchback descents that wind down huge ravines, tech and flowy, then into double track for some passing and again single track with loamy berms to finish

Come che k it out

www.eastcoastopen.com
    DH/XC/Dual

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Has anyone been to kelso lately? How were the conditions? Do you think after a day of sun on Saturday it should be nice and dry for Sunday?

Members who have read this thread: 0