summer epic 8

Printable View

• 07-15-2011
    trailtrash
    summer epic 8
    If this weather keeps up I hope they've ordered the watermellon.
    preriding the course tomorrow.
    anyone checked it out yet?
  • 07-15-2011
    rkj__
    The email they sent out said something about new singletrack and less climbing. If you don't climb, how can you descend?
  • 07-15-2011
    tommy
    I was wondering the same. Pulse racing posted this link http://www.geoladders.com/gps_route_...route_id=47647
    showing the course.. it also shows 1380 feet of climbing per lap...which must be off.
  • 07-16-2011
    Mudhead
    I have been on the course twice now. It has some of the climbs that have been part of the old 24 Hours of Adrenaline courses. They do indeed have new single track in there, but I found it to be rough and not well defined. This section goes through an area that has been logged in recent years so you have the ruts and tire marks left by those machines. So those that dislike the flowy single track of say Albion will like this section I suppose. The longest climb, which is not all that long, is loose gravel, so it adds a wee bit to it's difficulty. Overall at my skill level, intermediate perhaps, I found the course good, and not too difficult.

As with most of Ontario we certainly could use a fair bit of rain. This area would handle it very well even on race day as it is situated on a gravel moraine.
  • 07-16-2011
    thedumbopinion
    Logging roads and gravel hill climbs? This race is at Hardwood right?

Nah, I'm sure it will be a fun course and 300 or so racers riding for 8hrs otta pack that new trail in nicely. I'm doing a solo SS and really looking forward to it. Should be a fun day in the saddle. So a lot of climbing, no climbing, ruts, rocks, whatever, its all good. Just adds to the challenge and adventure.
  • 07-16-2011
    garage monster
    This one will be special for me: my Mom will be there to watch me race (Solo SS) for the first time ever! Be on the look out for a small French-Canadian lady in a sun hat. Do not offer her gin or vermouth! :D
  • 07-16-2011
    trailtrash
    we'll all be needing sun hats, how else can we tell her apart?:D

I dare you to strap one onto your helmet.
  • 07-16-2011
    Mudhead
    Quote:

Originally Posted by trailtrash View Post
    we'll all be needing sun hats, how else can we tell her apart?:D

She will have the 'Go Monster' flag?
  • 07-16-2011
    Thatshowiroll
    I'm in. Have to dust off the MTB in exchange for the road bike.
  • 07-16-2011
    rkj__
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    I'm in. Have to dust off the MTB in exchange for the road bike.

You're supposed to dust off MTBs? Mine seems to have a perma-layer of trail dust on it. Everything is so dry. :thumbsup:
  • 07-16-2011
    14Stone
    Solo SS here as well.

BTW, that gravel climb, if you stay to the left theres solid ground to grab in there.

Pre rode it today... holy hell theres a lot of sand in there.... also its crazy dusty. Apperantly no letup in sight either, its going to be a significantly hot day for the race if the weather trend is right.

For a big guy, theres only 2 really major climbs, and both were easily rideable after 3 laps. After the second climb I really can't remember pedaling much. Just dust.... need to go swiffer the bike.
  • 07-17-2011
    jrastories
    Quote:

Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    This one will be special for me: my Mom will be there to watch me race (Solo SS) for the first time ever! Be on the look out for a small French-Canadian lady in a sun hat. Do not offer her gin or vermouth! :D

Hey that is great I finally got my mom to a race for the o-cup at albion it was good to see her there, and now I convinced her to come see me punish myself on this bumpy course for 8 hours of solo riding. I can't wait

I have ridden it a few times now, and it is not getting any smoother, some sections which have been in previous 8 hour courses are still there in a little different order, there is some new down trees and some down trees that are taken away. All the new trail is really really bumpy, I am just glad that I am on a full suspension bike, I feel sorry for all the joints that belong to the rigid SS guys.

Heading back out tomorrow to see what kind of lap times I can expect for the day
  • 07-17-2011
    egggman
    I'm in!!! Altho a little on the beached and beer'd side. Solo SS too. Back from holidaze and ready for some fun times in/out of the saddle. Signed up last night on the cruddynet from the cottage last night. Someone needs to come in last right :-) burp...
  • 07-17-2011
    nickboers
    Quote:

Be on the look out for a small French-Canadian lady in a sun hat. Do not offer her gin or vermouth! :D

What happens if we do?

I'm signed up in a 3-4 man team.
  • 07-18-2011
    garage monster
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nickboers View Post
    What happens if we do?

No guarantees but you'd probably be treated to a lot of loud giggling and stories about my awkward teen years... :D
  • 07-18-2011
    twenty6black
    1380ft of decending too....i think
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I was wondering the same. Pulse racing posted this link http://www.geoladders.com/gps_route_...route_id=47647
    showing the course.. it also shows 1380 feet of climbing per lap...which must be off.

total accumulated climbing is 1380ft and then the decsending would be the same amount....i think...
  • 07-18-2011
    14Stone
    Question for you guys.

The Solo Pits, what are you allowed to bring to that, and where are they?

If you have another group of friends riding are they allowed to hang out there between laps kinda thing.

New to this Solo thing, and they've volunteered to play support, so I kinda wanna make their day somewhat enjoyable supporting my big arse around that course all day long, least I could do is let em have a seat in pit row.
  • 07-18-2011
    garage monster
    The "official" solo pits are up in the XC skiing teaching flats. It's a pretty fun place to hang out but a lot of solos also set up stuff along the start climb and that can be quite a bit shadier and closer to more of the action. If you have a big tent, bring that; it's going to be silly-hot. :thumbsup:
  • 07-18-2011
    Nerdgirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    Question for you guys.

The Solo Pits, what are you allowed to bring to that, and where are they?

If you have another group of friends riding are they allowed to hang out there between laps kinda thing.

New to this Solo thing, and they've volunteered to play support, so I kinda wanna make their day somewhat enjoyable supporting my big arse around that course all day long, least I could do is let em have a seat in pit row.

No one will object if a few support people hang out in the solo pits. There's plenty of room up there, and a nice, laid-back atmosphere. A bit tighter by the start/finish.

Haven't decided where the Monster-in-law and I will be hanging out yet. Shade would be good. And a sprinkler.
  • 07-18-2011
    thedumbopinion
    Quote:

The "official" solo pits are up in the XC skiing teaching flats.

Where's that? I don't remember seeing pit anywhere but the start climb last year.
  • 07-18-2011
    garage monster
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post
    Where's that?

The big grassy field you ride through when you cross back across the road. They'll point you in the right direction when you park. :)
  • 07-18-2011
    thedumbopinion
    Quote:

The big grassy field you ride through when you cross back across the road. They'll point you in the right direction when you park. :)

Oh yeah, there were a lot of pits there actually. Including rkj's dad who kept giving me updates on how fast he was closing the gap.
  • 07-18-2011
    serious
    Personally, I found the course to be VERY difficult (perhaps more difficult and certainly more unpleasant, than that Canada Cup course. For the 1st 15-18 minutes it feels like your are climbing, grinding, bouncing on the roughest and least flowy track Hardwood could come up with. The new section is terrible and passing will be difficult for fast team riders. Some of the rock gardens are a bit too much for citizen racers, so I expect some frustration for fast team riders who might get stuck behind. I don't know, but I am a bit puzzled over this course. But hey, I shall be there to unpuzzle myself. :)
  • 07-18-2011
    14Stone
    Oh, coming out of that second section over the road again. There's going to be some epic endo's there once people start getting tired.

Thanks for the solo pit info guys. See you there.
  • 07-18-2011
    Merdoff
    Quote:

Originally Posted by serious View Post
    Personally, I found the course to be VERY difficult (perhaps more difficult and certainly more unpleasant, than that Canada Cup course. For the 1st 15-18 minutes it feels like your are climbing, grinding, bouncing on the roughest and least flowy track Hardwood could come up with. The new section is terrible and passing will be difficult for fast team riders. Some of the rock gardens are a bit too much for citizen racers, so I expect some frustration for fast team riders who might get stuck behind. I don't know, but I am a bit puzzled over this course. But hey, I shall be there to unpuzzle myself. :)

I agree, there aren't a lot of areas that allow for passing opportunities. They've slightly altered since I rode it last weekend by taking away some nice singletrack & replaced it with a double track climb that has a HUGE rut 2 feet wide up the middle :confused:
  • 07-18-2011
    garage monster
    Quote:

There's going to be some epic endo's there once people start getting tired.

That's why there are always like four marshals there. Just getting down to the road has caused a lot of bloodshed. :eek:
  • 07-18-2011
    mtbmeister
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudhead View Post
    I have been on the course twice now. It has some of the climbs that have been part of the old 24 Hours of Adrenaline courses. They do indeed have new single track in there, but I found it to be rough and not well defined. This section goes through an area that has been logged in recent years so you have the ruts and tire marks left by those machines. So those that dislike the flowy single track of say Albion will like this section I suppose. The longest climb, which is not all that long, is loose gravel, so it adds a wee bit to it's difficulty. Overall at my skill level, intermediate perhaps, I found the course good, and not too difficult.

As with most of Ontario we certainly could use a fair bit of rain. This area would handle it very well even on race day as it is situated on a gravel moraine.

This is not sounding like a much fun course, which is surprising as this one usually is very fast is not flowy also. Perplexing :confused:.
  • 07-19-2011
    14Stone
    During my practice runs on Saturday I stopped and talked to a guy who was riding a 69er. I thought it was cool and took up a conversation with him. He was an older guy about 60s ish.

I asked him if he was riding the 8 hour. He said that it'd be the first one he skipped. He wasn't a fan of the course... I'm paraphrasing though, his language was much more short and colourful when explaining what he thought of it.

Quote:

Just getting down to the road has caused a lot of bloodshed.
    I didn't think it was THAT bad, but looking back I think I may be wrong. There's some really strange rockbed and a couple of drops that you can't really huck over just because there's either turns almost immediately, or a theres a rockbed right in front of the drop.

If I remember correctly too, almost every turn has sand and loose rock in it as well. Fun stuff, but after 8 hours I'm not sure about how well I and other new racers will be doing.

Between the heat and the track, I'm hoping people have a safe race overall.
  • 07-19-2011
    want to ride
    +1 on your opinion...
    Quote:

I did a couple of laps last Sunday and I found the course a bit too rough too. I didn't even realized this until I went out to do a couple of fast laps in a row...
    I was hurting big time by the end of the 2nd lap and Ihave the luxury of front suspension...

Some of the doubletrack sections are rougher than the singletrack.. I can see a lots of frustration building up by not having a chance to pass..

Oh and this will be our first 8hr with my wife....:D
  • 07-19-2011
    Thatshowiroll
    This is going to be a hard one for me.
    4 Days before the race, I'm fighting a flu/fever, nursing a broken rib, and I've ridden the trails twice this season. (Lotta miles on the road though)

Not that I'm a contender, but it's gonna hurt.
  • 07-19-2011
    raganwald
    Quote:

So what does a good course look like? Fast, smooth, hardtail-friendly trails? Plenty of passing-friendly doubletrack? No rock gardens or other technical features that might slow the "citizen" riders down? No features on climbs or around turns where you might lose speed/momentum/flow?

Quote:

Originally Posted by want to ride View Post
    I was hurting big time by the end of the 2nd lap and I have the luxury of front suspension...

Today I learned that an MTB race should be full-rigid friendly

;););););););););););););););)
  • 07-19-2011
    garage monster
    Quote:

Originally Posted by raganwald View Post
    <troll>So what does a good course look like? Fast, smooth, hardtail-friendly trails? Plenty of passing-friendly doubletrack? No rock gardens or other technical features that might slow the "citizen" riders down? No features on climbs or around turns where you might lose speed/momentum/flow?</troll>

8 and 24 hour races (where you have a wide range of abilities and team-formats on course at the same time) have different course requirements than, say, an O-Cup or a marathon (where riders are usually very well matched in speed an ability or so strung-out they can't get in each other's way, respectively).

The top priority for setting an 8 or 24 hour course is short and frequent passing zones, whether they're double track or wide-corridor single track. You can do whatever you like with the single track bits. For instance, historically, Hot August Nights is a slightly more difficult course than Solstice simply because riders have more miles in them by that point in the season.

Ideally, the course increases in difficulty as the lap progresses so that off the start (even with a start loop) bottle necks are minimized.:thumbsup:
  • 07-19-2011
    raganwald
    Quote:

8 and 24 hour races (where you have a wide range of abilities and team-formats on course at the same time) have different course requirements than, say, an O-Cup or a marathon (where riders are usually very well matched in speed an ability or so strung-out they can't get in each other's way, respectively).

The top priority for setting an 8 or 24 hour course is short and frequent passing zones, whether they're double track or wide-corridor single track. You can do whatever you like with the single track bits. For instance, historically, Hot August Nights is a slightly more difficult course than Solstice simply because riders have more miles in them by that point in the season.

Ideally, the course increases in difficulty as the lap progresses so that off the start (even with a start loop) bottle necks are minimized.:thumbsup:

I was trolling! I realize that XC racers seem (at least here on mtbr) to like the fast, friendly style of courses. From the few O-cup races I tried, it sounds like this course is actually more challenging than an O-cup! For example, Woodnewton had some short rock gardens and a nice rock ride-over, but there were cheater lines around all the features, so if "citizens" were slowing down or piling up in the rock gardens, faster riders could ride around them. And the O-cup courses seemed to be rigid-friendly, judging by the smiles, laughing, and joking by the SS riders I encountered.

But yeah, it's fairly obvious that if you have a race where you are going to have two hours of punishment, that is a very different proposition than a race with eight hours of the same punishment, and yes, I get the point about the need for plenty of passing opportunities.
  • 07-19-2011
    serious
    raganwald: So what does a good course look like? Fast, smooth, hardtail-friendly trails? Plenty of passing-friendly doubletrack? No rock gardens or other technical features that might slow the "citizen" riders down? No features on climbs or around turns where you might lose speed/momentum/flow?

Yep, that would be a good course for me. :)
  • 07-19-2011
    egggman
    Quote:

(where riders are usually very well matched in speed an ability or so strung-out they can't get in each other's way, respectively). :

I truly think I would fail at riding this course strung out on anything :D
  • 07-19-2011
    raganwald
    Quote:

raganwald: So what does a good course look like? Fast, smooth, hardtail-friendly trails? Plenty of passing-friendly doubletrack? No rock gardens or other technical features that might slow the "citizen" riders down? No features on climbs or around turns where you might lose speed/momentum/flow?

Yep, that would be a good course for me. :)

One of the beautiful things about Mountain Biking is that it covers a vast and endless variety of styles and variations. Rock on!
  • 07-19-2011
    aerius
    Quote:

So what does a good course look like? Fast, smooth, hardtail-friendly trails? Plenty of passing-friendly doubletrack? No rock gardens or other technical features that might slow the "citizen" riders down? No features on climbs or around turns where you might lose speed/momentum/flow?

It should be hard enough to crash out and DNF 15-20% of the riders. So something like the late 90's XC course at Horseshoe or the current world cup XC course at MSA. Race courses should push riders to and sometimes past the limits both physically and technically. Sure there needs to be pass-friendly stretches (the fast flowy parts), but there should also be uphill & downhill rock gardens, absurdly steep & hard climbs, angled tree roots or logs on off-camber sections, loose & rutted downhill switchbacks, a mud section just before the rocks if it rains, a surprise sandtrap somewhere and all the other things that make mountain biking fun.
  • 07-19-2011
    want to ride
    amen....
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    It should be hard enough to crash out and DNF 15-20% of the riders. So something like the late 90's XC course at Horseshoe or the current world cup XC course at MSA. Race courses should push riders to and sometimes past the limits both physically and technically. Sure there needs to be pass-friendly stretches (the fast flowy parts), but there should also be uphill & downhill rock gardens, absurdly steep & hard climbs, angled tree roots or logs on off-camber sections, loose & rutted downhill switchbacks, a mud section just before the rocks if it rains, a surprise sandtrap somewhere and all the other things that make mountain biking fun.

Remind me last years half marathon at Haliburton.... It was everything what you mentioned and then some except the sandtrap...:D

I was questioning myself during the race but looking back now I think that was one of my biggest accomplishment of my short racing "carrier".

All in all can't wait to get going on Saturday...

I just have to figure it out what should we eat and how many laps should we do in a row...

It will be an experiment more likely than a race...:thumbsup:
  • 07-19-2011
    rkj__
    Quote:

:thumbsup:
  • 07-19-2011
    raganwald
    Quote:

As GSP likes to say, "Good luck with that" :) A course like that would get me out racing again, but somehow I think that all the whining would ruin the atmosphere... You'd get people saying that such features are fine on a trail ride but dangerous "At race pace," the unstated assumption being that racers should be going at full cardio the whole time and that slowing down and lowering your heart rate before negotiating a technical section is not an option.

There's room for both kinds of MTB racing in the world, but it seems like the Ontario market prefers something different. I think it's a vicious (or virtuous if you prefer) cycle: As the courses become less technical in the sense you describe, one set of racers drop out of XC and get into DH or stick to trail riding, while another set start entering. The organizers get feedback that the racers prefer the faster courses, build trails to accommodate their customers, and this shakes a few more riders out, and with each passing year the races evolve accordingly.

The truth is, fast races are mountain biking as well, so I don't see this as a bad thing. I get the impression I joined the sport too late for my tastes.

p.s. I've done some cyclocross races where the organizers manufactured mud with a water truck and/or hose. It used to be considered part of the sport to learn how to ride the technical sections that forced other riders to carry their bikes. But then again, the suffering needed to ride a modern XC course at elite levels is more pain and work than I have ever experienced falling off technical features, so I am loathe to claim the machismo high ground...
  • 07-19-2011
    aerius
    Quote:

As GSP likes to say, "Good luck with that" :) A course like that would get me out racing again, but somehow I think that all the whining would ruin the atmosphere... You'd get people saying that such features are fine on a trail ride but dangerous "At race pace," the unstated assumption being that racers should be going at full cardio the whole time and that slowing down and lowering your heart rate before negotiating a technical section is not an option.

It's part of the reason I got out of racing, the other part being that training sucks. Even at my best I never had good cardio but I was willing to suck it up so I could kill it on the technical sections. Then they started removing technical sections so it wasn't fun for me anymore, plus finishing in the last 5% sucks. I started racing in 96 and my last race in Ontario was 2001, though I've done a few races in Quebec since then. I planned my vacations so I could get out there and ride on the courses I like.

Quote:

There's room for both kinds of MTB racing in the world, but it seems like the Ontario market prefers something different. I think it's a vicious (or virtuous if you prefer) cycle: As the courses become less technical in the sense you describe, one set of racers drop out of XC and get into DH or stick to trail riding, while another set start entering. The organizers get feedback that the racers prefer the faster courses, build trails to accommodate their customers, and this shakes a few more riders out, and with each passing year the races evolve accordingly.

The truth is, fast races are mountain biking as well, so I don't see this as a bad thing. I get the impression I joined the sport too late for my tastes.
    You raise a good point regarding the feedback that race organizers presumably get from racers, I never really thought about it that way but it makes sense. They do have to cater to their customers to some extent and if that's the feedback they're getting then well, that's what they gotta do to keep the races going. That's the way things go, not much I can do about it so I accept it and move on. 5 years from now it might go the other way, or not, who knows?

I now do a bunch of fun trail rides and sometimes have informal races with my riding buddies on the local trails which are more to our liking.

Quote:

p.s. I've done some cyclocross races where the organizers manufactured mud with a water truck and/or hose. It used to be considered part of the sport to learn how to ride the technical sections that forced other riders to carry their bikes.
    Heh, that sounds cool. The only CX race I've been to is the one they hold at Centennial Park every fall, some of my friends race there every year so I always go out and support them. No mud pits there, but they do have sand pits that only the best racers can ride through.
  • 07-19-2011
    raganwald
    Quote:

Heh, that sounds cool. The only CX race I've been to is the one they hold at Centennial Park every fall, some of my friends race there every year so I always go out and support them. No mud pits there, but they do have sand pits that only the best racers can ride through.

I raced the UCI race there both days two years ago. I recall there was a wet ditch with a single plank bridge, many riders chose to carry over the ditch, I jumped it at least once. When the pros took to the course, they put a sheet of plywood down for them! I discovered later that the plank was against UCI rules.

They also had a double barrier right after a chicane, it was very hard to dismount with momentum or bunny hop. They moved the barriers into a straightaway for the pros. I have no idea if that was a UCI rule issue.

On Sunday, we had a sand pit, they routed us through a playground. That's UCI legal, the rules allow pre-existing sand but prohibit putting sand down for the race.

Why am I rambling on about he UCI? Well, it seems that in CX, the racers hate obstacles because of the bottlenecking, just like XC. But the fans LOVE the obstacles, so organizers delight in abusing the field. In a citizen's race, the spectator's aren't an economic factor. But at the pro level in XC, I wonder if you'll see the same dynamic, where technical sections make for good TV.

Rckygrrl and I are watching the WC at Mt. Set. Anne right now, and Beatrice is laying an entertaining spanking on the racers :-)
  • 07-19-2011
    aerius
    Quote:

On Sunday, we had a sand pit, they routed us through a playground. That's UCI legal, the rules allow pre-existing sand but prohibit putting sand down for the race.

Interesting, because if putting sand down for a race isn't UCI legal then this whole section definitely ain't legal since they trucked in the sand to build it just for the race. They built 2 giant sand pits on the straightaway in front of the hill. On a sidenote, there's also a fun drop on the hill where you can get some airtime.
  • 07-19-2011
    raganwald
    Quote:

Interesting, because if putting sand down for a race isn't UCI legal then this whole section definitely ain't legal since they trucked in the sand to build it just for the race. They built 2 giant sand pits on the straightaway in front of the hill. On a sidenote, there's also a fun drop on the hill where you can get some airtime.

Looks like they reversed themselves in 2010, probably after organizers explained that fans do not want to watch Grass criteriums:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/...r-tires_122744

Artificial pits were banned early in the 2000s, I hope that they're back for good!
  • 07-20-2011
    garage monster
    Quote:

Originally Posted by want to ride View Post
    I just have to figure it out what should we eat and how many laps should we do in a row...

It will be an experiment more likely than a race...:thumbsup:

At the last Summer 8, Mrs. Monster and I attempted our first mixed tag and it turned out pretty well. We kept things simple, just swapping single laps and ended up 5th or so. :)

As for food, just bring a wide variety of stuff since you never really know what you'll be in the mood for after 6 hours of riding at 30 degrees. I'll have perogies (of course), sandwiches, smoothies, gel, etc... set up as an easy-access buffet in my cooler. :thumbsup:
  • 07-20-2011
    VVagabond
    Quote:

You should be a race organizer! I want a race like that.

Actually that sounds a lot like the Tremblant Q-Cup. For most of you, going to Quebec might be too far but if it's possible, I encourage anyone who likes technical stuff to get thyself to a Q-Cup ASAP. So much fun!
  • 07-20-2011
    serious
    I don’t want to give the impression that I want the “road ride” experience when mountain biking. I was really kidding with the above comment :). My real point was that an O-Cup (or Q-Cup) race is vastly different than a citizen race (8 hour or 24 hour). This type of race is hardly the place to “crash out and DNF 15-20% of the riders” since that would turn off many people (including me).

I am not a particularly fast racer or a great technical rider. But I have done many 8 hour races, in all kind of conditions, all of them on a rigid single speed bike (and I shoot for 12-13 laps, did 13 in the spring). I am prepared for some pain and suffering, but I also look forward to that special “zone” where endurance racers often go after long hours in the saddle. That “zone” is not about absurd pain and suffering. It is not about negotiating technical sections that could end your race or your season. It is about flow, concentration and steady effort. And fun, of course. At least that is my take on these races.
  • 07-20-2011
    raganwald
    Quote:

I have done many 8 hour races, in all kind of conditions, all of them on a rigid single speed bike (and I shoot for 12-13 laps, did 13 in the spring). I am prepared for some pain and suffering, but I also look forward to that special “zone” where endurance racers often go after long hours in the saddle. That “zone” is not about absurd pain and suffering. It is not about negotiating technical sections that could end your race or your season. It is about flow, concentration and steady effort. And fun, of course. At least that is my take on these races.

Perfectly valid thing to like, IMO. I used to enjoy that with road riding.
  • 07-20-2011
    rkj__
    Quote:

Originally Posted by VVagabond View Post
    Actually that sounds a lot like the Tremblant Q-Cup. For most of you, going to Quebec might be too far but if it's possible, I encourage anyone who likes technical stuff to get thyself to a Q-Cup ASAP. So much fun!

Sometimes I feel like a hypocrite, because I claim I like the technical races, but don't bother driving - the extra couple hours - to where they are located.

At least there is the Canal Days MTB Race in my backyard. :)
  • 07-20-2011
    HSCoach2
    I'm in

SOLO

My first race of the year!

Don't know if dragging around a 200 pound tandem/trailer combination for four days with a 7 year old is good training a week before an 8 hour, but if it is...I'm ready.
  • 07-20-2011
    PolishExperiment
    Did a pre ride today. Dusty, loamy, sections of rock gardenness, flatish, not too many passing lanes yet since a lot of it is new single track.
  • 07-21-2011
    garage monster
    Leave it to my Mom to arrive on the hottest day of the year (ever?)! Phew! :skep:

In honor of today's potentially record-setting weather, I have now chosen my 8-Hour throwdown music (it's been made abundantly clear I have a target painted on my back for this one). Perfect tempo and then with the break at 4 minutes, you can feel the heat coming from the speakers. Raise your weapon! :)

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fMsd6HEZ97k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • 07-21-2011
    tommy
    Quote:

it's been made abundantly clear I have a target painted on my back for this one

More than just one target Monster :thumbsup:
  • 07-21-2011
    garage monster
    missed 14Stone
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    More than just one target Monster :thumbsup:

Ooh, do I sense another 6-Pack Smackdown? :eek:

Mssrs. Stone, Serious and Opinion, you want in? :D
  • 07-21-2011
    14Stone
    I am unfamiliar with the rules of the 6-Pack Smackdown. But I'm in because it involves beer.
  • 07-21-2011
    garage monster
    Quote:

I am unfamiliar with the rules of the 6-Pack Smackdown. But I'm in.

Simple really: everyone who's "in" brings with them a chilled 6-Pack of a proper beer (Coors Light or the like would expose you to merciless ridicule). These are placed in "escrow" (probably in a cooler near the finish line). At the end of the day, whoever wins takes all the beer. :)

However, you should note that it's only sportsmanlike to share the spoils at the end with your fellow competitors. :thumbsup:
  • 07-21-2011
    14Stone
    Haha, I have no illusions of winning that pot of gold.... but it may irk me into a few more laps then I was thinking about.

I'm in then.
  • 07-21-2011
    HSCoach2
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Simple really: everyone who's "in" brings with them a chilled 6-Pack of a proper beer (Coors Light or the like would expose you to merciless ridicule). These are placed in "escrow" (probably in a cooler near the finish line). At the end of the day, whoever wins takes all the beer. :)

However, you should note that it's only sportsmanlike to share the spoils at the end with your fellow competitors. :thumbsup:

Was this why I was saving this six pack from the North Pole campground/best selection of Craft and Microbrewery products in Wilmington, N.Y.?

Attachment 627197
  • 07-21-2011
    garage monster
    Quote:

Originally Posted by HSCoach2 View Post
    Was this why I was saving this six pack from the North Pole campground/best selection of Craft and Microbrewery products in Wilmington, N.Y.?

That is an attractive display but is it fair to let you play if you're not in SS? :confused:

Hmm... :skep:
  • 07-21-2011
    egggman
    A closed/semi-closed/invite only beers n bikes battle is brewing?? I am fearful of my category now, fueled with rage and a desire for frothy yellow gold.... Well maybe no rage :-)
  • 07-21-2011
    HSCoach2
    Quote:

That is an attractive display but is it fair to let you play if you're not in SS? :confused:

Hmm... :skep:

Honour system? Which gear should I leave it in?

Of course, I'll want some compensation for hauling around shifters, a derailleur, cassette, two chainrings and some extra chain all day long...
  • 07-21-2011
    Nerdgirl
    Quote:

I'll be happy to be "escrow". Normally, this would not be a safe offer, but this time, y'all should be good, what with me not drinking and Mom Monster preferring martinis.
  • 07-21-2011
    garage monster
    Quote:

Originally Posted by egggman View Post
    A closed/semi-closed/invite only beers n bikes battle is brewing?? I am fearful of my category now, fueled with rage and a desire for frothy yellow gold.... Well maybe no rage :-)

Open invitation (I forgot just how many targets were on my back...). Please do join in! :)

By my count, that's 4 6-Packs so far. Better than landing on Free Parking in Monopoly by a long shot for the lucky winner! :D
  • 07-21-2011
    thedumbopinion
    I'm in. :thumbsup:
    I go shopping tonight.

I say we hold it to SS only....
    Although, HSC hasn't bee racing at all...hummm :skep:

I'm sure the "normal" solo guys can get a good smackdown challenge going themselves.
  • 07-21-2011
    tommy
    You had me at the first mention of beer! Yeah! Suddenly this weekend is looking up up up!
  • 07-21-2011
    egggman
    Wait, this whole thing seemed a little easier when heckling from the sidelines :P . I'm in!!
  • 07-21-2011
    serious
    Now I need to remember to bring beer. And I absolutely need to place it in escrow with Mrs Monster (aka Nerdgirl), since my cooler will be full. :D
  • 07-21-2011
    RiotMTB
    Well I am glad I am not SS cuz you all will kick my ar$e.
  • 07-22-2011
    14Stone
    Nah I'm terrible. I just do it cause it looks funny to see a guy like me try so hard against guys like them.
  • 07-22-2011
    garage monster
    Quote:

Nah I'm terrible. I just do it cause it looks funny to see a guy like me try so hard against guys like them.

Don't forget, heat's going to be a major factor. Us spandexy guys wilt like dainty little flowers when the going gets tough. Anything can happen in 8 hours! :skep:

(Plus, since there's beer involved, everyone's a winner! :))
  • 07-22-2011
    14Stone
    Oh for sure. I will do everything I can to clown you guys as much as clydely *Read: mutter things under my breath every hill* possible the entire race.

Though you are right. Once beer is involved everyone does win.
  • 07-22-2011
    jcr1
    I really need to get me one of those SS bike. Maybe next year the Niner will loose the gears and I can be part of the beer throwdown thingy. See you all this weekend, should be a great time.
  • 07-22-2011
    nickboers
    Quote:

Don't forget, heat's going to be a major factor.

I forecast a 100% chance of excessive ball sweat.
  • 07-22-2011
    HSCoach2
    Anyone bringing a babysitter?

My wife has just been asked to be on a three person team and could use some assistance watching the kids (who will now have to come along).

PM me if you want

Edited to add...10, 7 and 41/2 years old, would probably want to do kid's race...my wife will of course be around approx 2/3 of the time with help from her teammates...
  • 07-24-2011
    nspace
    Well... that beat the living crap out of me. Back is in so much pain riding rigid on that course!

Kudos to the solo riders. That was not a gentle course. Then add the dust, and the ridiculous heat. That is definitely a feat of strength. Mike Duncan looked like a black dude by the end. Risdale rode amazing, and was in good spirits by the end, as if it never happened! Congrats to serious for the podium SS Solo finish!

Quote:

I forecast a 100% chance of excessive ball sweat.
    Your prediction was spot on.

We finished first in the tag team under 70. It was fun to find out mid way through we were going head to head with fellow mtbr'ers, jmoote and rkj,

The first half of the course I found to be pretty grueling, but it got better towards the end. I will be hobbling around for the rest of the day, thats for sure.
  • 07-24-2011
    jmoote
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nspace View Post
    We finished first in the tag team under 70. It was fun to find out mid way through we were going head to head with fellow mtbr'ers, jmoote and rkj

I still think you guys are crazy for doing that on rigid singlespeeds (possibly the worse course ever for a rigid bike?). That only makes your effort all the more impressive though. The lap times you guys were pulling at the end of the day are amazing. My day started out with 33:xx laps but by the end it was more like 35:xx was all I could do.

My gut was totally locked down after. I didn't eat nearly enough during, and then my body wasn't too receptive of food for awhile after. Yikes.

Aside from the hot weather and bumpy-ass course that was a pretty fun time.
  • 07-24-2011
    nspace
    I agree with all the things you said regarding the course. Whatever the heat did to me, I completely lost my appetite. Literally the only thing I ate was 1/3 of a bag of salt and vinegar chips all day. The rest was all liquid fuel and gels. I didn't eat until about 9:30 after the race when my stomach settled down.

My 'victory' lap was a failure, and definitely put my back over the edge!
  • 07-24-2011
    jcr1
    Good job everyone! I actually found the course pretty fun beside the 3km run on my 2nd lap because of a slash sidewall. The first 4km was the hardest and after the fun begun with limited amount of climbing and alot of really fast rolling/turning section. It look like a pretty good singlespeed course but I just don't understand the ridgid part. Why would you abuse your body this way. I fully appreciated my 29er full suspension...life is simply to short to ride a hardtail.

Where were all the riders/racers? The attendance seem really low and the crowd seem different than usual. It made passing really interesting to say the least:eek:
  • 07-24-2011
    johnbragdon
    Yeah!!! CRAMPS BABY!!!!
    Ahhhh, another medium to fuel my obsession ;) Good on ya guys for everyone's performance. There was some serious talent that showed in that insanity. Myself...only managed 8 laps with my attempted 9th quickly ceasing due to a quad then hamstring cramp after first climb and right hander....my mind was already checked and at that point was looking for any excuse to call it after 6 plus hours of solid riding.

Still freaks me out to see just how fast these solo and SS riders are out there...may be my last season of Solo as my placings (15th under 40) aren't creeping any closer to podium this year and winter training seems to be getting bigger and bigger...what up?!?!?!?

Final impression from course....fairly mellow climbs and amazing downs at end that kept me passing through the transition only to remember the first half was all climbing again...I turn 40 next april....maybe my memory will fail me and I'll just keep the downs in the head next year ;)

See y'all HANSOLO and Fall 8....coffee....where did I put you?!?!?!

Congrats to Mike Ring for yet another impressive 3rd in the over 40 Solo...this guy's second attempt at solo and two podiums in a row....hmmm...what about a 24 mike ;)
  • 07-24-2011
    HSCoach2
    4 Attachment(s)
    I am in pain all over.

The course beat me up and the heat sapped my power and will.

I had a coke, a gatorade, two beer, a bottle of water and a chocolate milk in the four hours after the race without having to go to the bathroom and was still down a couple of pounds.

I lent my camera to Tommy for the podium...here are a few mtbr's...
    Attachment 627840

Attachment 627841

Attachment 627843

Attachment 627844

How can you seriously ask someone about a 24 after an 8 Hour like that?!?!
  • 07-24-2011
    rkj__
    More winning!

• 07-24-2011
    14Stone
    I handed in my 6 pack ready to throw down.... that was about it.

It was a pretty lack lustre day for me. I was feeling good even though I had a flat on my first lap. Followed by a increasingly difficult 2nd lap. I knew I wasn't tired but pedaling felt like I was climbing even on flats. I kept checking my rear tire as it felt much more squishy then normal, and I kept blaming it for what felt like some insane rolling resistance when putting the pedals down. Rolling downs weren't an issue and I was having a lot of fun on the tech, and managed to catch up to a decent pack. Finally got around them and kept going.

I had finished all the grind climbs on the first part of my 3rd lap and I was just gassed. I was getting hugely frustrated till I looked down. I was pretty upset to find that my bottom bracket had pretty much exploded on me. Literally had sheared the bearings apart. I had to DNF. I got back, rode the last part of coffee time, got to my solo area, and handed in my time chip.

My apologies for not coming back and having a beer with Nerdgirl and MotherGarageMonster. I would have totally come by, but I wasn't really good company for the rest of the day. Hopefully next time. Though the genuine concern for me was heartwarming, so I appreciated that.

Good job solos. That was a brutal day.
  • 07-24-2011
    jrastories
    That was a good day on the bike it was a little warm but the watermellon and the sponge baths were just what the day called for. It was great to have the support of my mom there to keep me watered and going strong.

Just after lunch the heat really got to me and i did a pretty slow lap and felt horrible. Than somehow I got a second wind and felt strong enough the rest of the day, there was just no way to close the gap on the guy in front of me so I was pretty happy with my second place finish.

Jcr1 sorry the cartridge didn't help your flat and you still had to run out, and thanks for getting it back to me at the end of the day.

And hats off to all the rigid ss riders out there that course was not the smothest we have seen.
  • 07-24-2011
    egggman
    Wow it's amazing how a mental breakdown kills your riding. I felt great my first 4 laps then took a break and it went to garbage for most of the rest of the day. My breaks were long and longer. I just kept beating myself up. I rode 1.5-2 great laps with Serious and learned how to ride the course properly and this was probably the highlight of the day. I was in poor spirits both times I ran into nSpace (Sorry man) but kept on riding, My spirits were lifted when my family showed up for my last two laps. All in all a good day on the bike but that heat turns my head against me. I must learn to control this... I was hungry by the time we got to Webers but for some reason my mouth was hurting when I began eating. Bugger all!!! Great job to all anf congrats to all who podeumed. Was nice to meet more MTBRs out there yesterday too!!
  • 07-24-2011
    garage monster
    Beer is powerful motivator. I spent the first half of the day in beer-5th or 6th due to a typically poor/lazy start position. Then maybe by lap 4, I ran into egggman at the sponging station - he looked about how I felt so I kept soldiering on. On lap 5, I caught tommy in the woods - we rode together for a bit and then, all of a sudden, I was alone. I ran into serious in the pits - he looked fine (dang!). I didn't see thedumbopinion until lap 8 or 9, when he was already in civies(?!?) - he'd abandoned from beer-1st! (:eek:)

That left me and serious to duke it out for the cooler of glory. We met in the pits again on the following lap - he still looked fine (dang!). By the next lap, my crew (Kim and Mom) told me he's put four minutes into me and I knew it was over. My back was killing me and I was never going to close that gap. I laid down on the ground, trying to undo the knots. This would be my last lap. Surprisingly, I was still passing team riders even at my lolligagging pace. I tagged in and tossed my baton in the bin. My day was done. Jack urged me back out: "You still have 57 minutes!" but I was all F-that, where's the ice cream! :D

Congratulations serious on well-earned and sound victory! I tried and tried but all I could manage was beer-2nd (and 4th in-cat)! :)

Thanks to everyone who encouraged me along the way and to everyone for making my Mom feel welcome (with special thanks to the Lapdogs for keeping her entertained all day). I think she gained a deep appreciation for what we put ourselves through week in and week out (for fun, no less). With every lap in the second half of the day she would ask "Are you sure you want to do another lap? You know you don't have to." Beer is a powerful motivator.
  • 07-24-2011
    VR6ix

Ugg. That course was not fun. Don't use racers to cut-in your new trails! Not cool.

Good event though, absolutely! I think we're coming back for the Fall Epic8, beware of more crazies from the Woodstock Cycling Club!

Also: saw the 2 photogs on course, can't find any mention of them, are there any links to event photo galleries? I only took pics at the very end once I was done riding and it was all team-stuff, so...
  • 07-24-2011
    nickboers
  • 07-24-2011
    want to ride
    Good first 8 hour...
    Awesome experience loved every minute of it even those ones when I was suffering...:D

I should have listened to Garage Monster about the 1 lap each tactic,we went out to do 2 laps each and after the second set my wife couldn't recover fast enough and I had to do one more set of 2 and that was a mistake,but I had to give her enough time to recover.

We left a good 6 minutes on the trails with our slow 2nd laps but hey this was our first 8 hour race so no complaints whatsoever... Did 13 laps and that was good enough for 8th place...

Perogies worked amazing I ate 4-5 pieces at a time and tried to keep the gels on the minimum..

All in all good race and I'm happy we decided to give it a try. We'll be back for the fall 8hr if my wife wakes up till then....:D
  • 07-24-2011
    thedumbopinion
    Quote:

I didn't see thedumbopinion until lap 8 or 9, when he was already in civies(?!?) - he'd abandoned from beer-1st! (:eek:)

Ah...yeah. I guess beer isn't that great of a motivator for me. I was 1st beer and 3rd overall and decided to pull the plug. I thought maybe I'd regret it today but I don't.

Not that I wasn't hurting really, really bad, of course I was. I wanted to vomit, my legs were dead, and my vision was getting worse. Each climb seemed impossible, I could barely muster the strength to go through rock gardens and I was over braking into corners. You know whats that's like, you all felt the same way. I knew to finish off the race I'd have to turn myself inside out and go to a very dark place. I just wasn't motivated to do so. Maybe because I hated the course and wasn't having fun out there.

SS solo is friggin' difficult. A tip of the cap to everyone who went out and raced in the heat and dust storm but a huge :thumbsup: (x7) to everyone in the SSS class. You all put me to shame that's for sure.

Standing around with everyone after the race drinking Serous' beer is definitely a highlight of the race season. Great to make new friends and see old ones. Look forward to doing it again in September.
  • 07-24-2011
    tommy
    Wow, what a day - Really enjoyed the beer at the end. Overheated for a bit, took 40min off, recovery drink, sit in the shade, cold water and I was good to go again. The soreness just started to settle in a couple hours ago. Hats off to everyone, good times.
    Oh yeah, sponge baths...wow, amazing how well they worked.
  • 07-24-2011
    rkj__
    Oww. That one hurt.

But it was worth it.

I went out hard on the first lap, and effectively avoided any bottleneck problems. I was skeptical of the course, as the pre-ride reports here were fairly negative. The first few km were tough. And, I won't lie, it was pretty impossible to enjoy some of the tractor-tire-stutter bumps on some of the doubletrack.

But, there were some rewarding sections of trail as well. I loved the rooty & twisty sections of fast singletrack.

But, by the end of the day, those fun downhills were destroying me. My back, it was tired, and sore. Never had that problem before, but since there were so few smooth sections on the course, it is not entirely surprising.

jmoote and I were pulling doubles all day long, and finished with a single each. My first two sets were good, but then I had to switch to survival mode. By my last laps, I was slowing way down.

None the less, jmoote and I were able to hold on to the silver spot in the U70 tag team category, behind a strong pair of Lapdogs.

The heat was tough, mentally, and physically. It was another day where you could not drink enough, and eating enough proved to be challenging for myself, and some others as well.

All in all, I enjoyed racing on a course that tested more than just your legs.
  • 07-24-2011
    jrastories
    Some Great Pictures Thanks guys

Who Says that Mountain Bike Racers Don't like to have fun and get their wheels off the ground. This rock and the other little technical downhill where you could jump off of the root were the highlight of the lap. This pic was from my 14th lap!
  • 07-24-2011
    14Stone
    Haha. For my 2 laps I got a bead on that jump and told the cameraman to head out there for some air pics. I'm glad he did.
  • 07-24-2011
    trailtrash
    congrats to everyone for surviving.
    our group had a great time and the keg from simcoe brewing helped.
    got to meet a real mountain bike celebrity (garage monsters mom).
    all in all a tough but fun day.
  • 07-24-2011
    nspace
    My pee is still really yellow.
  • 07-24-2011
    egggman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nspace View Post
    My pee is still really yellow.

LMAO!! I almost said that earlier but decided against... Anyone else find it hard to find good spots to eat/gel/bottle grab on course? One real open spot plus pits was all that worked for me...
  • 07-25-2011
    serious
    Thanks guys for the nice words and congratulations to you all for racing in such insane conditions. Speaking of insane, the definition of insane is that you keep doing the same thing, in the same way, again and again, but expect different results. That is how I felt during the race. I went through that course again and again, expecting to find one little bit that I would enjoy, but the "enjoyment" never came. Oh well, we must be a little bit crazy to do this (especially on a rigid SS). :)

Frankly the best part of the day (besides a podium finish :eek: ) was to meet and talk to many of you, including GM's mom. Another bonus was that we made through the race without injuries, which is always nice. I did see the ambulance come as I was leaving, so I do hope that the person who needed it was ok.

Let's hope for a more "sane" fall 8 hour epic. :)
  • 07-25-2011
    nickboers
    Quote:

I did see the ambulance come as I was leaving, so I do hope that the person who needed it was ok.

There was a woman near the Cannondale tent that was severely dehydrated during the draw prizes. There was a paramedic tending to her. I saw her later and she looked to be doing well. I don't know if there was anything worse.
  • 07-25-2011
    garage monster
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nickboers View Post
    There was a woman near the Cannondale tent that was severely dehydrated during the draw prizes. There was a paramedic tending to her. I saw her later and she looked to be doing well. I don't know if there was anything worse.

That's about it. I don't have much more recent information but the short version is that she was soloing and wasn't keeping up well with her hydration and nutrition. She visited the medical tent part way through the race and recovered for a bit. She was still in podium contention so she decided to try a few more laps and those just didn't sit well at all. :(

She's tough and I'm sure she'll be fine but it's a good reminder of how far is too far on a day like that. :eek:
  • 07-25-2011
    garage monster
    Did anybody else find that the cameraman was sitting just a wee bit too close to the race course? ;)

• 07-25-2011
    VVagabond
    Quote:

Did anybody else find that the cameraman was sitting just a wee bit too close to the race course? ;)

Yes, he scared the crap out of me when he was in that position and a few more places throughout the day. And I almost ran over him when he was lying on the ground inside a blind corner at summer solstice! I always have the most surprised look on all my race day rush shots. Keeps things interesting!

Also, I overheard Glen say that the fall course will be quite similar.
  • 07-25-2011
    jcr1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jrastories View Post
    Jcr1 sorry the cartridge didn't help your flat and you still had to run out, and thanks for getting it back to me at the end of the day.

Thanks again that was much appreciated. Jmoote provided me with the new cartridge (I don't want to take all the credit). I had a 1" slice on the sidewall so I shed a few tears and threw away the Rocket Ron.
  • 07-25-2011
    thedumbopinion
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jcr1 View Post
    I had a 1" slice on the sidewall so I shed a few tears and threw away the Rocket Ron.

I'm sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your family. :D

I almost ran over Ted when I took that corner wide. I wasn't focused (as tends to happen on lap 7) and had to brake to not hit him. I told him he just looked like a giant rock.

I imagine once Hardwood gets some rain the course will smooth out a tad and the corners won't be so sandy. Actually riding there reminded me a lot of Ganaraska.
  • 07-25-2011
    garage monster
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post
    I imagine once Hardwood gets some rain the course will smooth out a tad and the corners won't be so sandy. Actually riding there reminded me a lot of Ganaraska.

I actually think the course has a lot of potential; it just needs more rain and more riders. I remember thinking on my first lap "Gee this is pretty easy!" but with the half-dozen crashes ahead of me, it was also something like a 42 - not exactly killing it. :skep:

Sure enough though, it just started to wear me down to the point where I was just dreading the first 5K. The second 5K kicked butt though and I found it practically rode itself. I'd regularly catch riders there that blasted by me on the start climb. :)
  • 07-25-2011
    mtbmeister
    Quote:

Should I have a chat with that fellow? ;)

If the course is similar, I think some folks won't be too tempted to come out. The conditions didn't help this course layout in any way, but the overall consensus wasn't full of love either.
  • 07-25-2011
    Louda
    Quote:

I almost ran him over too! Almost... ya, I told him that wasn't the smartest spot to take pics! :eek:
  • 07-25-2011
    thedumbopinion
    Quote:

I just wanted to copy GM's photo again.
  • 07-25-2011
    sputnikcdn
    Quote:

I also just missed him at that same spot... and at the last OCup in Buckwallow, I had to brake and change my line to avoid hitting him in a rock garden. He gets some great pictures though...

I actually really enjoyed the course, even the rough new parts. Especially as the day wore on. There was lot of variety and even a bit of challenge in a few parts if you were travelling fast enough...

To Tom, despite not finishing in time, your effort was valiant and heroic! Have you read "The Old Man and the Sea"?

Here's another picture of a lycra'd, spd'd sometime roadie racer catching some sweet air...

• 07-25-2011
    aerius
    Quote:

Putting on my photographer's hat, you want to get right up and sometimes into the kill zone to get the best pictures. It gives you the most dramatic angles to make the audience feel like they're part of the action. I've done a fair bit of mountain bike photography over the years and most of my good shots were taken from places where I would've been run over if the rider had to bail.
  • 07-25-2011
    electrik
    Quote:

Obviously you don't know what the people want! Crazy close ups of riders with a wide angle lens...

Also, those 29r going off the jump just look awkward!! Like something found in a circus!
  • 07-25-2011
    egggman
    One comment heard on course... "You are laying in the perfect place for my boobs to land on your face when I crash, aren't you?".... I LMAO'd and it gave me good positive energy to complete that lap... They/He may have spooked me a couple times, but had I of been in better shape thru the race there would have been some amazing shots for me to purchase today... Keep up the great work RaceDayRush!!
  • 07-25-2011
    nspace
    The photographer would have had to deal with my exposed man boobs if I washed out.

• 07-25-2011
    Circlip
    Quote:

Originally Posted by egggman View Post
    One comment heard on course... "You are laying in the perfect place for my boobs to land on your face when I crash, aren't you?"

OK, that is an easy winner for quote of the day. +rep for you for the story, but should be triple +rep for whoever said it.
  • 07-25-2011
    nspace
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnikcdn View Post
    To Tom, despite not finishing in time, your effort was valiant and heroic! Have you read "The Old Man and the Sea"?

Here's another picture of a lycra'd, spd'd sometime roadie racer catching some sweet air...

I saw that shot last night as the "gallery thumbnail", impressive air!

Thanks Paul, it was your comments about the lack of traffic that pushed me over the edge. Half way through when my back was killing me, I knew I wouldn't make it, but I just convinced myself a worse case scenario was that I forced myself to put on some additional much needed miles on my legs.
  • 07-26-2011
    johnbragdon
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 628439

Ahhh, the difference in my photo compared to the others is purely the lack of speed rounding this corner...;)
  • 07-26-2011
    Thatshowiroll
    Anyone want to trade a Medium sized event shirt (mine, unworn) for a Large?
  • 07-26-2011
    garage monster
    Quote:

Originally Posted by johnbragdon View Post
    Attachment 628439

Ahhh, the difference in my photo compared to the others is purely the lack of speed rounding this corner...;)

Don't forget, nspace and I are also riding with those gigantic clown wheels you sometimes see at the circus. You have to swing the front end out a tad wider to sweep through that turn at speed. :)
  • 07-26-2011
    johnbragdon
    hahahaha...clarification.....me slow...you fast ;)
  • 07-26-2011
    Nerdgirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    OK, that is an easy winner for quote of the day. +rep for you for the story, but should be triple +rep for whoever said it.

Sounds like something Louda would say!
  • 07-26-2011
    Louda
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    Sounds like something Louda would say!

haha, it actually wasn't me! I wonder if it was VVagabond...
  • 07-26-2011
    serious
    1 Attachment(s)
    One more shot in that corner ... since we are showing them. :D
  • 07-26-2011
    trailtrash
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    Anyone want to trade a Medium sized event shirt (mine, unworn) for a Large?

that explains why you were so slow, putting on the weight eh?
    maybe thats why you got a flat on each of your laps. :D