Summer Epic 8 2015- Mtbr.com
    I Strava Hamburgers

Summer Epic 8 2015

Anyone pre ride the course, or have plans to? Opens tomorrow as far as I know.

How much of the Pan Am stuff are we gonna deal with

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'm going to pre-ride....not sure when...mostly to determine if I will ride a geared bike or singlespeed....I'm registered in Male solo...

mtbr member
    I will go Saturday for a ride, first thing in the morning, since I have a get together in the afternoon. As for Pan Am stuff, I thought it is all finished at Hardwood.

I am doing singlespeed solo and I want to beat my buddy Riot.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Haha...you likely have this one in the bag serious!

mtbr member
    the pan am at hardwood is all done
    I would think the stuff they built will remain for future races (o-cup, Canada cup etc )but probably too advanced for many in the epic 8.
    Team Van Go

the older I get the better I was

I Strava Hamburgers
    I'd like to see at least some of the climbs in there remain, most of the sketch stuff has ride rounds but I totally agree some of that stuff is mad sketch for new riders.

Either way, looking forward to anyone posting info. Can't go pre ride this weekend

Lemmy Rules!
    If anyone does preride can they please post here. I won't have time to get up there before race day and want an idea of what to expect....

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I was at Hardwood yesterday and did a couple of laps. Lots of new trail and will need to be worked in as it's pretty bumpy, but will be fun! About 160m of climbing each lap. New and fun course so you guys should have a blast. Singlespeed friendly. Alexa thought it was more technical than the Mansfield 8hr but less climbing.

The Pan Am course will remain as a marked advanced course.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Did anybody else get a chance for a pre-ride? Wondering how it will compare to a typical "sport level" hardwood O cup course

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by ljohnston9 View Post
    Did anybody else get a chance for a pre-ride? Wondering how it will compare to a typical "sport level" hardwood O cup course
    I haven't pre-ridden this year's course, but having ridden the Canada Cup sport course, and the epic 8 course in previous years, I think you can expect the epic 8 course to be quite a bit easier technically, as this race caters to more recreational/casual riders than an ocup. If there is anything tricky, you can expect a ride-around or bail out line. Expect a long grind up from the chalet at the start of the lap, and a fast run back in along coffee run or down the BMX track. In the past it has always been a course that is forgiving to beginners, but is challenging to ride at high speed for the more seasoned rider. Hopefully that helps.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks Unglued. I will cross my fingers that coffee run/joyride and bmx are in it as they are my favorite sections at hardwood lol. Maybe somebody will post after a pre-ride but if not, I feel pretty good about it. See yall Sat

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    I haven't pre-ridden this year's course, but having ridden the Canada Cup sport course, and the epic 8 course in previous years, I think you can expect the epic 8 course to be quite a bit easier technically, as this race caters to more recreational/casual riders than an ocup. If there is anything tricky, you can expect a ride-around or bail out line. Expect a long grind up from the chalet at the start of the lap, and a fast run back in along coffee run or down the BMX track. In the past it has always been a course that is forgiving to beginners, but is challenging to ride at high speed for the more seasoned rider. Hopefully that helps.
    I'm sure there will be a start loop but as the course was marked last week, you go to the right where Gnarley, Radical and Sidewinder turn off the beginning double track. There's one rock feature with a go around mid-way. The rock is pretty easy though big but it's a smooth roll over, just hit the rock in the middle and sit back on the way down. No coffee run or BMX track but some new single track which is nice. Oh, and there's one small log that needs to have something added to the other side or you could get buckled over, but you can jump it.

I would post my strava but I did a bunch of other laps on the other trails so it won't help! Have fun this weekend, looks like perfect weather!

There's 167m of climbing each lap.

Lemmy Rules!
    I heard from some others who have pre-ridden. Apparently there is a fair amount of new trail that is not completely worked in yet. Let's hope it is by Saturday....

I have seen the strava of a friend of a friend but as I don't know the guy myself, I am reluctant to post it here. I am advised that it is about 9k. What I can say is that it looks quite similar to last year's fall Epic 8 as far as I can tell, and here is my strava profile from then for what it is worth
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Fall Epic 8 near Oro Station | Times and Records | Strava
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I will be pre-riding today so will post later. I am not near as good or as strong a rider as Louda....so my take may be different.

mtbr member
    Just as an FYI for those racing, there is a music festival this weekend at Burls Creek which is located on the 8th line of Oro. Neil Young is playing and they are anticipating 35,000 people to the area for this. I work at the Barrie hospital and we received an email reminding us that the traffic will likely be increased as a result of this. It's a 3 day festival starting Friday but may still have an impact on Saturday so allow extra travel time !

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Pre rode the course yesterday. Very interesting.
    Plenty of bumpy new trails. A good part of the grassy field from last year is in there again. Very twisty. Hard to get flow. First 2km is mostly doubletrack climbing. There is only about 165 - 170m of climbing each lap but most of it is stuffed into the first 2km (not super steep...just long). Note this though....there is only about 750m of doubletrack off the start before it dumps you into a short bit of singletrack (then back into doubletrack climbing)...there WILL be bottlenecking at this singletrack on the first lap or two. Not much tech, and where there is there are easy fast arounds. The new OCup/PanAm start is now the new start and transition zone. And if you have done this race in the past, there are a couple of spots that you turn opposite to where you intuitively want to go, so be alert of the signage (and they will likely have more taped than they did for preriding).

mtbr member
    I pre-rode the course today. I agree that the course is SS friendly. It is fairly technical for beginners, but for seasoned racers it is ok. But after 5-6 hours it will feel technical and rough and the climbs will become very painful.

Hopefully my body is able to take the abuse tomorrow.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

mtbr member
    Another awesome race report. Thanks Riot.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Sounds like a short travel fs would served your back well...always considered doing one of the epic 8s but never can get any buddies interested. I did the Six in the Hood last year solo and managed 6 laps, so I am not fast but it would still be fun.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by shantyspark View Post
    Sounds like a short travel fs would served your back well...always considered doing one of the epic 8s but never can get any buddies interested. I did the Six in the Hood last year solo and managed 6 laps, so I am not fast but it would still be fun.

Having done SITH and a number of 8 hours, all solo, I would say that the 8 hour courses are less punishing on the body. The Hood is pretty flat but there are a lot of rocks and bumps. THe courses they use at the epic 8 are generally pretty fast and flowy.

This past weekend's epic 8 was the first time I have ridden solo on a geared bike with front suspension, as I usually attempt these on a rigid singlespeed. I was expecting the gears and squish to make it a lot easier. It didn't....
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Love the Roughriders flag!
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks! Long time 'riders fan....even through this year!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    Having done SITH and a number of 8 hours, all solo, I would say that the 8 hour courses are less punishing on the body. The Hood is pretty flat but there are a lot of rocks and bumps. THe courses they use at the epic 8 are generally pretty fast and flowy.

This past weekend's epic 8 was the first time I have ridden solo on a geared bike with front suspension, as I usually attempt these on a rigid singlespeed. I was expecting the gears and squish to make it a lot easier. It didn't....
    Agreed Unglued! I think I may have been better served with the titanium singlespeed. Titanium a little more forgiving than the carbon Stumpie.

shantyspark, I have had a short travel fs (Spec Epic), but I find the Stumpie, and Raijin, much more maneuverable and efficient. And have had a bike fit...just will have to be more cautious about matching the bike to the course...or adjust riding technique...or something.