Storms in Ontario- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Storms in Ontario

I was out on the Darlington fitness loop in Courtice last week & saw a few limbs on the trail. Then I was checking our woodlot south of Apsley and found numerous trees blown down. Mind you it wasn't as bad as what happened in Combermere.

So for the next while I'd suggest anyone ridden in the area that the tornados passed thru should be prepared to find debris on the trails & ride accordingly.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

Mar 2006
    hardwood hills and porcupine ridge had some windfall too......the crew was out at porcupine cleaning up though and making repairs....kinda surprised that hardwood wasn't cleaned up yet.....(neither places weren't that bad though)...

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by revrnd
    So for the next while I'd suggest anyone ridden in the area that the tornados passed thru should be prepared to find debris on the trails & ride accordingly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

We got hit hard a few weeks ago

North of Parry Sound got it pretty good a few weeks ago. The Lost in the Rocks and Trees was was cancelled, I was hopping to do that one. I didnt get a chance to take picks of my trail but heres a few from Mattawa.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I guess I should reference the pics from the Lost in the Rocks and Trees web-site.

Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by JM01

pics from Blueberry Plains?
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheelboy_490
    pics from Blueberry Plains?
    no...Ganaraska Hiking Trail

rad to the power of sick
    One of my other areas of interest is the weather. So when i heard there was a supercell forming over south central ontario and moving south , i hopped in the car with my camera and headed to guelph where i hoped to see a tornado.

Here some pics... at some points there was hail the size of ping pong balls coming down.. I also missed the F-0 tornado that touched down in south guelph by about 3 km.

Driving into the fury..

Spectacular hi altitude cloud deck..quintessential supercell.

Tornado was approximately 3km from this site.

Evil weather eh.

Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer
    One of my other areas of interest is the weather. So when i heard there was a supercell forming over south central ontario and moving south , i hopped in the car with my camera and headed to guelph where i hoped to see a tornado.

Here some pics... at some points there was hail the size of ping pong balls coming down.. I also missed the F-0 tornado that touched down in south guelph by about 3 km.

Driving into the fury..
    Too bad you missed it. Things like that don't just come around here all the time. I'd say that is a good thing though
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    A least 1 of my trails south of Apsley is screwed right now. The hunters will probably clear it this fall.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

Person
    Sep 2005
    A least 1 of my trails south of Apsley is screwed right now. The hunters will probably clear it this fall.
    Where do you ride around Apsley? I've ridden some of the snowmobile trails in the area, but always looking for more.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Usually down in the Peterborough Crown Game Preserve & on our woodlot. I have ridden out to Copper Lake which is NW of Apsley.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

1946:2006:2066

summer storms update

from todays globe and mail ( Aug 11 )

http://www.theglobeandmail.ca/servle...y=summer+storm

If the link doesn't work here's an excerpt.

"Environment Canada confirmed that the devastation wreaked across Ontario on Aug. 2
    was caused by eight separate tornadoes -- the most to strike the province from a
    single storm system since 1985.

The twisters all touched down within 1 hours, starting at 7:20 p.m. Two were
    categorized as F2, which carry winds of between 180 and 240 kilometres an hour.
    One of the worst-hit areas was Combermere, a small tourist town on the western
    edge of Renfrew County.

Four of the tornadoes were rated as F1 and two were F0, the weakest ranking.
    The storm cut power to about 170,000 Hydro One customers."

This is not normal weather! An F2 can be damn scary!

michael
    "Be not afraid of going slowly but only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

Person
    Sep 2005
    Usually down in the Peterborough Crown Game Preserve & on our woodlot. I have ridden out to Copper Lake which is NW of Apsley.
    Do you go in Tuckers Road to get to Copper Lake?

I rode in there 1 time last summer and it was fun. Rode for a little over an hour, then turned around. Seems like you can go a long, long way in there. Let me know if you are ever looking for someone to ride with. I spend a lot of time in the Woodview area.

That storm was nuts! I was in Ganaraska just as it started. It was the fastest I have ever packed up my truck after a ride. Drove into the storm on my way home, it was tough just to see the road. The sideways rain did a good job of cleaning out my headset!

There were a bunch of trees down in the Ganny on the E2 loop. But they have now either been removed, or a ride around has been created. The trails are really, really loose in there right now. It will get worse this weekend as there is supposed to be a big motorbike ride (over 100 riders).

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Baulz
    Do you go in Tuckers Road to get to Copper Lake?
    I've snowmobiled in there since I was a kid. On Canada Day last year I rode in to the falls by the "Apsley Holiday Inn". When the deer flies are gone I want to ride in to Camp Creek. That's the old snowmobile trail to Apsley just east of the lookout rocks. I don't know what weekends I'll be free in Sept., what w/ the cleanup on our property.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Langford, you may have been looking for this thread. In '07 I rode down to Camp Creek all the way to the Anstruther Lake Road. A lot of hike a biking & flooded swamps. Not worth the effort IMO. Less than a month later the OPP busted a big grow op that I had ridden thru a nearby area. Gave me a kind of nervous feeling when I found out where it was located. Several years ago a grow op was located between our property & Jack's Lake.

I think most of the trail damage from the '06 storm in the Apsley area has been cleared.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

humber river advocate
    lol those pictures where taken from your car.

from bike shots...

hail/rain/debris and had to think about shelter the wind was blowing so hard about 5 mins after the first pic...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Good thing for the helmet eh?
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

9 lives
    A full face with goggles would have helped to deflect the pea-size hail stones. The bikes got scrubbed clean! LOL

mtbr member
    Langford, you may have been looking for this thread. In '07 I rode down to Camp Creek all the way to the Anstruther Lake Road.
    I think most of the trail damage from the '06 storm in the Apsley area has been cleared.
    This one will do Revernd, I was just looking to check the Tucker Rd. access to Copper Lake. I seem to recall you posted a ride with lots of pics of the Copper Lake trail, but maybe I got my posts mixed up!

A couple of areas at Jacks Lake got tornadoed, the stuff on Crown land got logged, they left a big mess, but I guess it will grow back eventually.

I remember that storm, it was a beauty! I was near Guelph Lake putting up route markers for the MS Biketours, saw lots of scary stuff.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by langford

A couple of areas at Jacks Lake got tornadoed, the stuff on Crown land got logged, they left a big mess, but I guess it will grow back eventually.
    The tornado went thru our property as well. We had to clear around 150 trees from the road. We had a logger in as well to clear the mess the following year. They didn't leave a mess like the contractor did on the Crown.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

Members who have read this thread: 0