Stolen Bike- Mtbr.com

Thread: Stolen Bike

Jul 2004

Stolen Bike

My bike was stolen last night from my locked garage in Stratford.

I was hoping you guys and gals could keep a look out for it.

Stolen:

2003 Cannondale Jekyll 2000
    Topaz Blue (light)

XTR Dual control shifters
    pretty much XTR everything
    Lefty Max with TPC+

Serial Number N107852

If anyone sees it please contact the local authorities.

Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.

mtbr member
    Hey bud. I'm really bummed out for you. That would just suck having any of your bikes stolen.

What I'm wondering is if you would be willing to give us some details about how they got into your locked garage. It sort of freaks me out because I keep my bikes in my garage as well, and I'm wondering what I should do to keep it more secure.

Anyone else have some advice on how to secure bikes inside a garage?

Thanks,
    Dan

They say I have a problem
    Simplest way is to keep them inside the house.....I know, I know it's not practical for some, but I just would never feel comfortable leaving mine is the garage....Just way to visible at times, when the garage is open....All our bikes, mine and the wife's, are stowed away in the basement of our townhouse...
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

mtbr member
    Suggestions: A) don't have a key pad entry to your garage door,
    B) House alarm that will set off if the garage door is open while it is set
    C) You can get motorcycle locks that are essentially uncuttable, buy an "anchor" to install in your floor and lock them to it.

However agreed the best method is to store them in your house, it's a lot more risk and a greater fine if the break into your house, which most bicycle thieves wouldn't risk.

Looking for Adventure

Best in the house basement

I have $15,000 worth of bikes. No way I would leave them in my garage.

Otherwise, make sure your bikes are never in clear view in the garage where everybody can see them. Too tempting.

Unchained Freewheel
    No matter where the bike(s) happen to be,lock them up.Use a U lock,and a cable lock at the same time.Always lock it to something else other then itself.Get good insurance if its worth over a grand or two.Keep it out of view.Also,one might look.into a video survielance system,they are surprisingly cheap and easy to set up.If you are out of the house on a ride,take it everywhere,and I mean everywhere you go !

OP : I hope you find your bike,I have been a victim of bike theft on two occasions
    The Trail Never Ends.

LBS Manager

My fort knox

I have two expensive bikes in my garage. They are locked up with 2 NY chain locks and 2 U locks at the same time. both chain locks go through a solid steel bakers rack and a bike rack that wieghs close to 200 pouns. I tried to cut the bike rack to make it smaller and couldn't even get a 10th of the way through it before I gave up. After breaking into the garage the theif will have his work cut out for him and he better have some serious power tools. Im not saying my bikes are totaly safe from a theif but he is going to have to work for it and make alot of nois in the proccess.

...the wave won't brek
    Quote Originally Posted by ddakin
    Hey bud. I'm really bummed out for you. That would just suck having any of your bikes stolen.

What I'm wondering is if you would be willing to give us some details about how they got into your locked garage. It sort of freaks me out because I keep my bikes in my garage as well, and I'm wondering what I should do to keep it more secure.

Anyone else have some advice on how to secure bikes inside a garage?

Thanks,
    Dan

Hey ddakin, pleaes don't take the balance of this post personally...

Please don't post ANY informaiton on how a thief gained access to you property.

All this does is gives the bad guys more things to try.

I have a Clasic car and there are lots of posts on the message boards about "How do I break into my own car?" they never get any responses because there is no way to know if this is a lagitamit request or just some punk trying got info on how to steal a car.

This post is not intended as a personal attack on the quoated poster just a plea to help keep our propertey safe.
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight SPX-XC Kit

2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR-XC Comp

2006 Specialized Allez Sport Double

mtbr member

Insurance

Most insurance companies require the bike(s) be chained and bolted to the concrete foundation. Through the studs just wont cut it. Check the fine print if you have insurance...but as others have said ...best bet..keep them inside your house.

Feel for ya bro...
    just hope I never catch someone in the act in my home....cant say what Id do!!!

Move along people....
    Quote Originally Posted by anthrax
    Hey ddakin, pleaes don't take the balance of this post personally...

Please don't post ANY informaiton on how a thief gained access to you property.

All this does is gives the bad guys more things to try.

I have a Clasic car and there are lots of posts on the message boards about "How do I break into my own car?" they never get any responses because there is no way to know if this is a lagitamit request or just some punk trying got info on how to steal a car.

This post is not intended as a personal attack on the quoated poster just a plea to help keep our propertey safe.
    I was thinking the exact same thing when this was posted. There is no way I would tell people how thieves got into my garage/property to steal my bike. It could just give thieves ideas on how to commit the crimes in the first place.

I rarely post up pictures/information which shows where I keep my bikes.

Even posting up ideas on how to secure your bikes may be aiding the thieves. Not sure...but by the sounds of some of the above security devices....I don't know if they would be able to get through the industrial pipes and locks!

PS Sorry to hear of your loss, I hope it turns up for you in original condition! I knew of a guy who had his bike stolen from home (Australia), it was a Blur with highend parts. The police found it in a second-hand shop for about $350AUD! Might be worth checking out your local pawn shops before someone buys it at a bargain price!

rad to the power of sick
    Shitty deal man....

My buddy had his 03 Trek fuel 100 w. full XTR/Carbon etc. stolen from his townhouse. For a university student that translates to losing all your high school earnings.

Since then, I keep my bike in my basement and I lock it to a support beam when i go away for the long weekends or whatever.

Keep a sharp eye out on Canadian Cyclist, Pink Bike, craigslist etc...

best of luck.
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

Members who have read this thread: 0