St. Catharines MTB series- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

St. Catharines MTB series

Hey everyone. In case you haven't heard, the Liberty! Bicycles mountain bike racing series kicks off in a couple weeks in St. Catharines.

The races run every other Wednesday starting May 17 on a course along the 12-mile creek. Anyone who has ever raced the Squeezer knows how good a job Liberty does at organizing events. No doubt this will be a great series...and at $40 for the whole eight-race series you can beat the price.

Check out the site at www.libertybicycles.com for more info.

Dan
    (not a Liberty employee...just someone who can't wait for there to FINALLY be a LOCAL MTB series).

rad to the power of sick
    count me in for a couple...if im not too tired from the albion tuesdays...
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ddakin
    Hey everyone. In case you haven't heard, the Liberty! Bicycles mountain bike racing series kicks off in a couple weeks in St. Catharines.

The races run every other Wednesday starting May 17 on a course along the 12-mile creek. Anyone who has ever raced the Squeezer knows how good a job Liberty does at organizing events. No doubt this will be a great series...and at $40 for the whole eight-race series you can beat the price.

Check out the site at www.libertybicycles.com for more info.

Dan
    (not a Liberty employee...just someone who can't wait for there to FINALLY be a LOCAL MTB series).
    I have been waiting for the site to be updated for a while. Great deal @ $40 I know i will miss at least one event, due to my highschool graduation ceremony, but will sign up for the series. Should be fun. Too bad there is no online sign-up though.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

bi-winning

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Too bad there is no online sign-up though.
    So, I went through the drill...
    download and print sign-up sheet/waiver
    fill it out.
    get parental signature
    write a cheque
    fold er up, and put her in envelope.
    check postage fees
    lick/stick appropriate stamps
    adress/lick seal envelope
    ride 1km to mailbox, and 1km back.

Gee, this postal thing is old school

Now I'm all signed up. See you there. :7:
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Feb 2006
    Oh yah represent St.Kitts...ill be there

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    C'mon....you gotta get the priorities right...mtn biking over all else. LOL
    There can never be enough times to race...... you can always go to your uni graduation !
    I have been waiting for the site to be updated for a while. Great deal @ $40 I know i will miss at least one event, due to my highschool graduation ceremony, but will sign up for the series. Should be fun. Too bad there is no online sign-up though.

bi-winning

Good job!

Yesterday i went to St. Catharines for a group ride. Every wednesday at 6:00 a group leaves from Rapid City Cycle on St. Paul street.

On this ride i rode a lot of singletrack that i have never ridden before. Much of it is relatively new. It was great! I understand some of this will be included in the 8x12. Nice and tight/twisty.

There really is some excellent riding in St. Catharines!

NormalNorm
    Yup, I am in too....I am guessing the 15km course is about 45-60mins?

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004
    I'm in as well although looks like the first installment will be washed out...

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by teebor76xc
    I'm in as well although looks like the first installment will be washed out...
    According to the weather network, tomorrow should be ~17 with a POP of 30%...

Don't entirely rule out the possibility. things were bone dry this time last week, so the trails can absorb some water. If there is no rain tomorow, i expect it to be a Go.

bi-winning
    Severe thunderstorm warning for:
    Niagara

THIS IS A WARNING THAT SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ARE IMMINENT OR OCCURRING IN THESE REGIONS. REMEMBER SOME SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS PRODUCE TORNADOES..LISTEN FOR UPDATED WARNINGS. EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT ONTARIO RECOMMENDS TAKING COVER IMMEDIATELY WHEN THREATENING WEATHER APPROACHES. NOTE..A SUMMARY OF ALL WARNINGS AND WATCHES FOR SOUTHERN ONTARIO IS AVAILABLE IN THE WWCN11 CWTO BULLETIN ISSUED IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING THIS BULLETIN. PLEASE REFER TO THE LATEST PUBLIC FORECASTS FOR FURTHER DETAILS.

AT 3:10 PM RADAR SHOWED AN INTENSE THUNDERSTORMS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING LARGE HAIL MOVING SOUTHEASTWARD THROUGH PORTIONS OF THE ABOVE REGIONS.

NormalNorm
    Severe thunderstorm warning for:
    Niagara

THIS IS A WARNING THAT SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ARE IMMINENT OR OCCURRING IN THESE REGIONS. REMEMBER SOME SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS PRODUCE TORNADOES..LISTEN FOR UPDATED WARNINGS. EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT ONTARIO RECOMMENDS TAKING COVER IMMEDIATELY WHEN THREATENING WEATHER APPROACHES. NOTE..A SUMMARY OF ALL WARNINGS AND WATCHES FOR SOUTHERN ONTARIO IS AVAILABLE IN THE WWCN11 CWTO BULLETIN ISSUED IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING THIS BULLETIN. PLEASE REFER TO THE LATEST PUBLIC FORECASTS FOR FURTHER DETAILS.

AT 3:10 PM RADAR SHOWED AN INTENSE THUNDERSTORMS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING LARGE HAIL MOVING SOUTHEASTWARD THROUGH PORTIONS OF THE ABOVE REGIONS.
    I live in Hamilton, and did it ever come down. Lots of hail and rain. Has it rained in St.Kits yet......I am pretty sure we are going to be racing next week.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by norm
    I live in Hamilton, and did it ever come down. Lots of hail and rain. Has it rained in St.Kits yet......I am pretty sure we are going to be racing next week.
    The warning seems to be alternating between being posted on the site and not...

My dad said it did pour in St. Catharines, as well as hail. Then, later it was sunny and nice. I hope it has passed by. I will be there tonight.
    Last edited by rkj__; 05-17-2006 at 01:32 PM.

bi-winning
    # 1 Cancelled

It is now at best a 7x12.

Edit: Points wise, they determined to base the winners on a best 5/7 scale, to give some leway (sp?)
    Last edited by rkj__; 05-31-2006 at 10:03 AM.

bi-winning
    Today is wednesday may 31. There is a smog advisory, humidex advisory, and a severe thunderstorm watch...

WTF.

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004

If those little [email protected] cancel again i am going to ram my newly removed Easton EA50 seatpost up...well it won't be pretty. Smog...ha ha...i train in hamilton! last i checked there were lots of warning stickers on my bike but none warned of bike melting in rain! Lets race...i've been waiting to get my [email protected] kicked for far too long!
    Last edited by teebor76xc; 05-31-2006 at 12:19 PM.

Space for rent...
    Today is wednesday may 31. There is a smog advisory, humidex advisory, and a severe thunderstorm watch...

WTF.
    You forgot avian flu, west nile, rabid squirrels and a high UV reading...........
    It's only pain......

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004
    Okay so i had my 3 pre-race donuts from Tim Horton's! Let the race begin!

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by SSteve F
    You forgot avian flu, west nile, rabid squirrels and a high UV reading...........
    HAHA! You're right. My mistake.

My prediction, it's go time

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004

guess what?!?!

its a GO! ...putting down fourth donut... let,s ride!

bi-winning

Hope

its a GO! ...putting down fourth donut... let,s ride!
    Why did you put down the donut! I just say that because i got passed by some guy on a red anthem. Saw you go by after the climb that led up to the little grassy platau/park.

Well gee, that was pretty fun though.

Nothing new really, i still suck . I clipped a few too many trees. Got some scratches and scuffs to prove it. Got stopped by trees twice, and chain came off in one of those incidents. Tight singletrack=fun challenge . I hope to improve as i become more familiar with the trail, and hopefully i'll gain a little skill too.

There were some long ST sections where you had to wait to pass if you wanted to, but i had no problems holding people up, or really being held up either. There was also generous lengths of wide stuff where you could hammer all you want. Great course IMO.

Finished the ~15km in a little over 41 minutes. Room for improvement, but not terrible.

There were some friendly people there too. Had a nice chat with ddakin, as well as a few others.

And of course, i needed to demo one of the epics. Maybe a bad idea . Riding a bike valued at an estimated $3200 with XT and XTR goodies opened my eyes a little. It had to be at least 5lbs lighter than my beast of a build NRS with tools strapped to it. Accelerated like a deamon, and that Fox fork was definitely a step up. Hydro brakes and new (not worn) high end drivetrain was oh so crisp.

So that's a brief little summary. Hope you all had a good time. And if you were not there, i suggest you give'r a try.

mtbr member

8X12 Pictures

mtbr member

First 8x12 race!

Well what a freaking blast that was. Boy oh boy. There are some incredible trails back in that 12-mile creek area that I had no clue even existed.

It was definitely a much tougher course than I was expecting. Some of the singletrack was super tight (just as my handelbars and scraped shoulders). But that just made it more challenging. I also made a stupid mistake of missing a turn off and losing a pile of places, but oh well, that's what I get for not knowing the course at all and not paying attention to the arrows
    The start was a bit much - a 300m run to the bikes. But after that everything was great.

I met up with RKJ from here after the race. Looks like he beat me by about 12 places yet there was only 1:30 separating our times. That tells you how many people there were. Incredible to see 150-something people out for a weekly series.

Great event! Can't wait for the second one in two weeks.

Dan

mtbr member

First 8x12 Race

Well what a freaking blast that was. Boy oh boy. There are some incredible trails back in that 12-mile creek area that I had no clue even existed.

It was definitely a much tougher course than I was expecting. Some of the singletrack was super tight (just as my handelbars and scraped shoulders). But that just made it more challenging. I also made a stupid mistake of missing a turn off and losing a pile of places, but oh well, that's what I get for not knowing the course at all and not paying attention to the arrows
    The start was a bit much - a 300m run to the bikes. But after that everything was great.

I met up with RKJ from here after the race. Looks like he beat me by about 12 places yet there was only 1:30 separating our times. That tells you how many people there were. Incredible to see 150-something people out for a weekly series.

Great event! Can't wait for the second one in two weeks.

Dan

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004

....that run!

Holy crap...i don't remember being warned that it was Leman's start ..., i can't run worth sh!t. That accompanied with taking the big ring to the back of my achilles on tuesday made for some interesting hobbling. Started 2/3 of the way back at the start and finished the run 2/3s of the way back...lots of ground to make up!

Have to say the course was really good, some of it had that squeezer feel (the only time i have ever ridden in St kitts). There was plenty of tight and twisty singletrack...and some double at the start and finish to hammer on. The course was generally well marked out i only went the wrong way once (i think) ...sigh had an arrow with slow...totally missed it . Anyways, yes rjk that was me that passed you on the hill (red anthem - blue salsa skewers, green sweetpete's jersey)...i had passed you earlier but then that wrong turn happened. There were lots of trees out there looking for blood, but i only donate on tuesdays so no dice!

Glad the weather held out as i did have a great time...speaking of time...the guy that finished 1 second in front of me actually finished behind me...he was a real a$s to pass too.

Mad props and big ups to Kurt and the gang at liberty . Great event... nice that its biweekly as it avails me to make the weekly wednesday roadie!

Peas.

bi-winning
    Cool to see that a few pictures were taken. This one caught me, ddakin, and my dad (towards the right) among others.

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004

June 14th

The weather is fantabulous! And we aint had rain in weeks! In an effort not to repeat last weeks performance I have made a decision to forego the 3 donuts eaten before the last race! ...if this doesn't help...next time i will eat a full 1/2 dozen!

repeating to self :shiny side up, shiny side up, shiny side up....

T.....

bi-winning
    I've tried to think of a genious plan to bring me more success, but all i can come up with is pedal hard, and not crash into trees.

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004

i will...

i will also be wearing what I deem to be a faster Jersey! anything to try and counter the effects of the Lemans start!

bi-winning
    i will also be wearing what I deem to be a faster Jersey! anything to try and counter the effects of the Lemans start!
    I have 1 jersey, and it is dirty. So, I may just go with cotton.

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004
    If i ever ran out of jerseys(unlikely having 18 of them) i would go to drifits and if i ran out of those (4 of them) i would ride topless!...actually i would wear a dirty jersey...so long as it looked cool...but you won't catch me dead in a soiled chamois!

bi-winning
    If i ever ran out of jerseys(unlikely having 18 of them) i would go to drifits and if i ran out of those (4 of them) i would ride topless!...actually i would wear a dirty jersey...so long as it looked cool...but you won't catch me dead in a soiled chamois!
    Oh, i have other moisture wicking stuff, it is either dirty, or long-sleeve. My options are few. I should invest in more biking clothing, but i am pretty cheap.

why am i posting this?

ah well, i let too much stuff pile up on my bedroom floor.

Space for rent...
    I've tried to think of a genious plan to bring me more success, but all i can come up with is pedal hard, and not crash into trees.
    ...and spray Gatorade into the eyes of anyone trying to pass you Hope this helps
    It's only pain......

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by SSteve F
    ...and spray Gatorade into the eyes of anyone trying to pass you Hope this helps
    Well, even without the Gatorade, i managed to trim about a minute off of my time. Not bad, but there is still room for improvement.

mtbr member

Oops

Okay so I felt great, I knew the course, the bike was ready to....and I WAS LATE!!! UGH.

Yes that's right for the first time in my life I missed the start time for a race. I was the idiot in the St. Catharines Cycling Club Jersey running in the opposite direction at the LeMans start. I missed the start by about 30 seconds after not getting out of work fast enough.

Needless to say I started dead last. I passed about 70 riders in the race which was surprisingly fun, but there were times when the field came to a dead stop because people were getting off to walk up or down hills.

It was frustrating but a)I was late so it was my own damn fault. b) It's fantastic to see newer riders getting involved in racing.

I actually enjoyed watching some of the young whipper-snappers ripping up the course. I followed a kid for a while. He was on platform pedals with running shoes and yet he was keeping a great pace. I talked to him after and he was only 13! Wow...future ripper for sure.

Anyhoo, we'll give 'er a go again in two weeks. And this time I'll be on time.

Dan

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004
    ...well dan, i did see you start late and kinda chuckled to myself...which hurt like a bastard, i took a tumble on my road bike a week ago while descending McNeilly Hill in Grimsby...of which all my ailments have healed with the exception of some very aggravated ribs. I also felt shitty for you as the race started 3 minutes early...which would have put you pretty smack on time. I think this race should be renamed to the 8x12 Duathalon Series...it is cruel and unusual to force cyclists to run prior to biking, especially when there is lots of doubletrack to start the race (although not enough for me to catch up to and pass all the riders required). The trails are great but there seems to be inadequate sections for safely passing, we all have things to do the next day, no one needs to die. I eventually caught up to a group of riders (7) that were impossible to pass. I just rode it, heart rate was pretty low for the most part, far lower than last time. Finally, threw on the afterburners down the finishing section of doubletrack but forgot how long it was! Ran outta steam...managed to find rjk and duke it out for a bit...just glad i didnt get beat by cotton! So as it turns out it doesn't matter what i wear. Next race i am going to walk the Lemans start...that or use a motorized scooter...end the madness!

tREVor

bi-winning
    just glad i didnt get beat by cotton!
    Next race i am going to walk the Lemans start...that or use a motorized scooter...end the madness!

tREVor

Haha, ur a funny guy.

Honestly, i seem to be less opposed to the start in comparison to many people. My Shimano shoes are pretty good.

Clearly there are reasons why they do it. I think it lessens the likelyhood of a serious whipeout at the start.

bi-winning

New timing

Quote Originally Posted by liberty!
    If all goes well with the weather, we will be testing a new timing program at Wednesday evening's 8X12 event. It should allow us to provide more accurate results, faster, and with fewer errors. If successful, we might be able to phase-out our chalk and sundial system. Obviously we are excited. We look forward to this bold, new age.
    Oooh, new timing program.

I'll be graduating, but i hope you all have a nice race this wednesday. (weather permitting of course)

bi-winning
    Wow. I love this series. First time out was definitely a learning experience, but each time i have done it, i have had a blast. Knowing the course has been a huge help to me, and has allowed me to improve my times. I always look forward to it.

There is only one left (weather permitting) so if you have not tried it yet, if you can, i really suggest you give it a try. Especially if you enjoy tight singletrack.

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004
    Ryan,

Nice ride yesterday! You improved from your previous races huge...and you beat me Hope you have a great last race. The series has been fun...except for the first 2 minutes of each race.

bi-winning
    Ryan,

Nice ride yesterday! You improved from your previous races huge...and you beat me Hope you have a great last race. The series has been fun...except for the first 2 minutes of each race.
    Thanks. All along it was my goal to improve. Weather permitting, i will get one more crack at it.

You did great yourself. You have nothing to be ashamed of (other than letting some punk kid on a 30+lb bike beat you ) Honestly though, it was nice to meet you. That is one of the great things about local race series. You see the same faces week after week, and get to know a few of them. Other than the few guys that complain about getting caught in traffic, i have found most people to be very friendly.

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004
    Ryan,

Great to meet you also...I am not too ashamed of having some young punk beat me on a 30# bike...i would be if you were over 200# but you clearly aren't! I tried to lighten my bike last night further by removing some spokes but sadly i only broke one and it stuck around for the rest of the ride. Well i will be taking a hiatus for riding for a little bit, i have my own nuptuals to attend the day after the next race and will be out of town...all the best...see you at the squeezer!

Trevor

ps. if you ever want to hit hardwoon or albion or kelso in september...let me know.

bi-winning

It's all over

Well, the final even in the 8x12 series went down tonight. i must say that i had a blast. the course was so good, and so close to home for me. fees were super low, and i met some great people that i would not have met otherwise. What more can you ask for?

The folks at Liberty! did an awesome job. (x10)

Members who have read this thread: 0