squeezer- Mtbr.com

Thread: squeezer

Sep 2004

squeezer

anyone doing the squeezer in St. Catharines this month?

mtbr member

Yup!

Can't wait. This will be my third year in the Squeezer and I'm definitely in the best shape I've been in , so I'm curious to see how things will go!

Good luck.
    Cheers,
    Dan

p.s. if anyone wants to do a few practise rides in the next 10 days before the race just let me know. I'll be pre-riding it a few times during the morning hours.

Sep 2004
    this will be my first year as I am rather new to the sport...am I missing any bits of the race trail when riding short hills, 12 mile creek, hydro hill to the old mill? The course description mentions riding through vineyards, where would this be (private property I'm assuming..)

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004
    i too will be riding it and am in much worse shape than last year(which was very soggy) but will ride it anyways. No pre-ride for me though unless you count last year!!

bi-winning

Just registered

Quote Originally Posted by ddakin
    Can't wait. This will be my third year in the Squeezer and I'm definitely in the best shape I've been in , so I'm curious to see how things will go!

Good luck.
    Cheers,
    Dan

p.s. if anyone wants to do a few practise rides in the next 10 days before the race just let me know. I'll be pre-riding it a few times during the morning hours.
    I should be there. Third year for me as well. I have not ridden my bike in approx 2 weeks though I have had hockey practices/tryouts every day almost for the last little while. Throw in a little school, home work, work on weekends, and i have been busy. Also, all that rain we got a rew days ago cancelled a ride i had planed. I'm feeling the effects of the common cold right now, but i should be healthy in a few days. Enough of my excuses though

The squeezer is a great event, and i have a blast every year. Prizes, people, food, course... it is all excellent. Hopefully the weather will be good. I can't wait. I'll see you all there, and good luck to you all.

If anybody wants information on this great event go to: http://www.libertybicycles.com/squeezer/index.html

Pictures:
    1)Me last year at the finnish last year.
    2)Me last year (with the long sleeve jersy, cause it was chilly last year.)
    3)What i'll be wearing this year if it's not too cool.

If ya see me on my Giant Rainier, wave and say hello
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rkj__; 09-16-2004 at 02:10 PM.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member

Saturday pre-rde

I'll be riding the course Saturday (Sept. 18) morning around 10am if anyone is interested in joining me. I'm going to part near Montebello Park and do a full race-run on the same route as last year.

Post here if you want to join in!

Cheers,
    Dan

bi-winning
    I'll be riding the course Saturday (Sept. 18) morning around 10am if anyone is interested in joining me. I'm going to part near Montebello Park and do a full race-run on the same route as last year.

Cheers,
    Dan
    i'll be too busy working at marineland, unfortuneately. Stupid job
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Sep 2004

Cheers,
    Dan
    I am interested...... maybe just to see if i can keep up with you, 10am from the bandshell????

you've run the squeezer before? what was your posted time?

Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnydipp
    I am interested...... maybe just to see if i can keep up with you, 10am from the bandshell????

you've run the squeezer before? what was your posted time?

I won't be able to make it as something has come up...

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004

Cheers,
    Dan
    I'm game for that - let me scrounge up some directions. i can be reached at teebor76athotmail.com

bi-winning

Post race reaction

Well the 2004 squeezer is over, and i must say that i had a blast!

It was run very smoothly by the many volunteers.

This year they threw us a loop, and reversed the course, that was sorta neat. No more climbing of hydro hill it was still pretty much all the same terrain, so it didn't really mess me up at all. pretty dusty. lot's of grit in my teeth. I started in the third wave, and that was alrite. There derfinitely were times where i got held up a bit though. They use your times from the previous years, so that's why i was there. It's a very fair system. I can't complain. I had a decent run going, and then trouble struck. I got a flat. It was my first flat in a race. i have done about 7 or so. maybe i was just due It happened about 4-5 km from the finish, at the building at the bottom of hydro hill. I ripped out the tube to find a ~2.5" long nail. I had everything i needed so that was ok. It took me about 5 minutes to change. and man, A LOT of people pass you in 5 minutes! My time was 1:26, which is ok, but nothing amazing. ah well, i knew i wasn't likely to win anyway. i had tons of fun, so that's all that matters. no injuries either. a good amount of people did whipe out, judging my the dirt marks, scratches and blood. one participant needed 5 stitches. the squeezer is a cool event because there are riders of every skill level there.

and then there were the prizes. LOTS of stuff was given away. myself i got a nice water bottle. I saw ddakin with one as well. that was cool, i actually needeed it. my family (mom, sister, and dad) all volunteered, so they got some swag as well. 2 t-shirts, a hat, gloves, water bottle. it seemed lots of volunteers won stuff. my sisters boyfriend was one of the 3 finalists for the devinci bike as well. tons of stuff, even a car. very well done liberty.

food was good as well. i like how it is a part of the wine festival. since my family got some extra tokens, i got some bonus food as well.

all in all, great even, i had a blast as always! hope everyone else did too.

pictures next...
    Last edited by rkj__; 09-26-2004 at 03:49 PM.

bi-winning
    pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

What a freakin blast!

Yeah that was definitely a super-fun race.

I started in the third wave and let a number of people go by me at the start because they were flying down the road and I just wanted to stick to my game plan of keeping a steady pace.

Anyhoo, once I got to the fireroad I passed quite a few people (while attempting to avoid eating too much dirt and then once we started going up that big road hill and through the vineyard I passed a bunch more people.

I was lucky enough to make it through with no crashes/flats etc. etc. and finished in a time of 1:21:02 for 145th overall and 11th out of the 125 in the third wave! Since I was 600th in 2002 and 400th in 2003, I'm thrilled with my result and I'm happy my road riding paid off!

It was just a blast though. I went home after I was done to shower and clean up and then came back to watch the prizes and take some pix. That water bottle I won was great because it'll match my Giant road bike

RKJ, have we ridden together? How do you know it was me?
    There's a race at Holiday Valley in Ellicottville on Saturday Oct. 9. Are you, or anyone else, interested in going down there for it? It's a 10:30 am start which means it'll be over nice and early. I'm gonna drive down so I could easily take another rider/bike with me.

Cheers!
    Dan

mtbr member
    I had a great time too! I started in the 10th wave (I think) did much better than I thought I would. I rode over to my buddies place in the morning and the legs just weren't there, so I wasn't expecting much, but once I got racing everything went well. Launched myself over the bars trying to pass some slower riders on the right on the washed out downhill gravel road (just some road rash) and had to take off the back wheel to fix a jammed chain, but had a great day!
    I finished 32nd of 85 old guys and about 10th in my wave.

I liked it better than the Lake to Lake, probably because I spent half of the L to L dealing with flats and slow-leaking tires.

A great event, nice course, great prizes (none for me). I'll be back for sure!

Greg

bi-winning

I was lucky enough to make it through with no crashes/flats etc. etc. and finished in a time of 1:21:02 for 145th overall and 11th out of the 125 in the third wave! Since I was 600th in 2002 and 400th in 2003, I'm thrilled with my result and I'm happy my road riding paid off!

There's a race at Holiday Valley in Ellicottville on Saturday Oct. 9. Are you, or anyone else, interested in going down there for it? It's a 10:30 am start which means it'll be over nice and early. I'm gonna drive down so I could easily take another rider/bike with me.

Cheers!
    Dan
    no, we have never ridden together outside of these events. i only reccognised you because of a thumbnail i saw of you in the Review.

i checked the results, and it was minorly dissappointing. 294th overall with a time of 1:26:44. actually an improvement over last years 335th though, so maybe i should be happy. if you subtract the ~5 minutes it took me to change my flat, i would have been about where you finnished in my estimations i lost over 120 positions. it's ok though. it's experience. and like i said, i still had an awesome time. Congrats on your finish though. a huge improvement over the last 2 years.

About that race at holliday valley, is there a web page where i can get more information? im not sure about it, likely a no, but any info might be helpful. i usually have hockey on saturday afternoons...

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004

well ....

Yeah that was definitely a super-fun race.

I started in the third wave and let a number of people go by me at the start because they were flying down the road and I just wanted to stick to my game plan of keeping a steady pace.

Anyhoo, once I got to the fireroad I passed quite a few people (while attempting to avoid eating too much dirt and then once we started going up that big road hill and through the vineyard I passed a bunch more people.

It was just a blast though. I went home after I was done to shower and clean up and then came back to watch the prizes and take some pix. That water bottle I won was great because it'll match my Giant road bike

Cheers!
    Dan
    I thought i was very unprepared for this race but i guess i was slightly mistaken. I'm relatively new here and also to the sport so let me bore you with a little history lesson.
    My bike, which i never rode, was stolen in May 02, so the insurance company bought me a 02 Kona Cindercone. It was a rough year of riding(broke nearly everything and spent more time fixing flats than riding), and at the end of it i was down to 305 pounds( i don't know where i started as most scales don't go that high). Any ways October came and i joined the gym and got my eating habits under wraps and signed up for my first race P2A 03. Dropped 60# rode the race finished - i was estatic. So i bought myself a new bike! 03 Kona Kula(Jezebel) any way rode and rode and rode and rode, did a couple more races and rode some more. Last year at the squeezer i pulled in at 277. This year the sun was shining and the weather was nothing short of perfect(actually a little hot). I started in the second wave and damn those crazy animals took off like a [email protected] I too played it cool and settled in about 2/3 of the way back in the pack, knowing full well my time would come as thier legs would suffer. Passed a dozen or so people on the first asphalt uphill after the fireroad and widdled off the pack from there, one by one i watched them fall off. I didn't realize at the time how many people i had passed, well long story short i passed everyone in my wave but two riders. and i attribute that fully to some big(6'4 250# all muscle) guy(clarkson cycle) who was hogging up the trail right before hydrohill and some other clown who was driving miss daisy along the section by the fence, and some guy on a cyclocross who would sprint ahead on the flats and go real slow on the singletrack with the gutter on each side. Anyways enough with the excuses, i rode hard and came in 64 i think, i need to gain those extra 3pounds so that i could have taken second in the double magnum. Next year i am off to the first wave, hope to see you all there. I would also like to say that the gang from liberty cycles throws a mean race with tons of giveaways and lots of swag. I too got a waterbottle. My gf (not riding) got a kona bucket, c'dale glove, ryder glasses, and 2 water bottles. Remember keep the rubber side down!

Trevor.
    Last edited by teebor76xc; 09-27-2004 at 06:24 AM.

mtbr member

Holy Hell! You're Fast

Holy Crap. You finished 63rd and you're 200+ LBs, that's a hell of a ride man.

And congrats on losing all that weight. That's an amazing story. I work with someone who weighs about 300 (was closer to 400 before getting very ill and losing a bunch). It bugs me that he doesn't bother exercising etc. to lose the weight.

Don't know if you're from Niagara or not, but let me know if you want to ride sometime.

RKJ - HA HA...damn that picture gave me away again eh? Did you see the story I did Saturday about Buck Miller (who ended up winning)? He's a great guy. I certainly hope he makes it far in the sport.

As for that race, the website is:
    http://www.heartrateup.com/FFest.htm
    The start is actually at 10am, not 10:30 which means it should be done by noon at the latest. I think it takes about an 1.5 hours to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by teebor76xc
    I thought i was very unprepared for this race but i guess i was slightly mistaken. I'm relatively new here and also to the sport so let me bore you with a little history lesson.
    My bike, which i never rode, was stolen in May 02, so the insurance company bought me a 02 Kona Cindercone. It was a rough year of riding(broke nearly everything and spent more time fixing flats than riding), and at the end of it i was down to 305 pounds( i don't know where i started as most scales don't go that high). Any ways October came and i joined the gym and got my eating habits under wraps and signed up for my first race P2A 03. Dropped 60# rode the race finished - i was estatic. So i bought myself a new bike! 03 Kona Kula(Jezebel) any way rode and rode and rode and rode, did a couple more races and rode some more. Last year at the squeezer i pulled in at 277. This year the sun was shining and the weather was nothing short of perfect(actually a little hot). I started in the second wave and damn those crazy animals took off like a [email protected] I too played it cool and settled in about 2/3 of the way back in the pack, knowing full well my time would come as thier legs would suffer. Passed a dozen or so people on the first asphalt uphill after the fireroad and widdled off the pack from there, one by one i watched them fall off. I didn't realize at the time how many people i had passed, well long story short i passed everyone in my wave but one rider. and i attribute that fully to some big(6'4 250# all muscle) guy(clarkson cycle) who was hogging up the trail right before hydrohill and some other clown who was driving miss daisy along the section by the fence, and some guy on a cyclocross who would sprint ahead on the flats and go real slow on the singletrack with the gutter on each side. Anyways enough with the excuses, i rode hard and came in 63 i think, i need to gain those extra 3pounds so that i could have taken second in the double magnum. Next year i am off to the first wave, hope to see you all there. I would also like to say that the gang from liberty cycles throws a mean race with tons of giveaways and lots of swag. I too got a waterbottle. My gf (not riding) got a kona bucket, c'dale glove, ryder glasses, and 2 water bottles. Remember keep the rubber side down!

Trevor.

Sep 2004
    I had a blast in my first race ever....it was actually the first time I've ever gone for a ride and not stopped for a breather after a hill..I was impressed with how I managed to push myself and met my goal as far as finish time..I've been riding for 3 months now and am totally addicted..looking forward to next year already..

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004

thanks...

And congrats on losing all that weight. That's an amazing story. I work with someone who weighs about 300 (was closer to 400 before getting very ill and losing a bunch). It bugs me that he doesn't bother exercising etc. to lose the weight.

Don't know if you're from Niagara or not, but let me know if you want to ride sometime.

RKJ - HA HA...damn that picture gave me away again eh? Did you see the story I did Saturday about Buck Miller (who ended up winning)? He's a great guy. I certainly hope he makes it far in the sport.

The start is actually at 10am, not 10:30 which means it should be done by noon at the latest. I think it takes about an 1.5 hours to get there.
    ...for the compliment. I had felt pretty outta shape lately and bought a roadie in the beginning of september. Don't know if it helped but it sure is fun to ride....mmmm 3-man single draft pacelines. Training tip #1 always ride with people who are faster than you. RJK keep riding hard you have youth on your side...and l love the castelli jersey! castelli y2 progetto shorts are the way to go - if you have the peso.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by teebor76xc
    RJK keep riding hard you have youth on your side
    yes indeed i have youth. i plan to keep riding for many years to come, wether it be racing or not.

and ddakin, i did see that article. man that guy trains a lot. with that much determination, he may just go far.

lots of great stories here. teebor76xc especially. sounds like everyone had a great time that's what the squeezer is all about!
    and skinnydip, glad to hear you had a good time. the squeezer was my first race as well.
    langford, nice ride as well...

the race photographer will be posting the picures on http://mokomedia.ca/ within a day or two. be shure to check for your picture, if you did not see it already.

mtbr shouldda been there. over 1400 registrants, and only 5 mtbr members? lol
    Last edited by rkj__; 09-27-2004 at 01:57 PM.

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004

where is this.....

article about buck miller>? i would like to read it if possible.

trevor
    teebor76athotmail.com