Spring Tires for Albion Hills- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Spring Tires for Albion Hills

Just wondering what tires you recommend for Albion in the spring...given that parts do get pretty muddy. As I won't do that much spring riding, I would like an inexpensive tire if at all possible.

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by noonievut
    Just wondering what tires you recommend for Albion in the spring...given that parts do get pretty muddy. As I won't do that much spring riding, I would like an inexpensive tire if at all possible.
    I rode Kenda Kosmic Lites last season. They are a semislick, there is an initial learning curve with these and slippery conditions but after you get used to how they corner and slide they are a great tire. unfortunately not that cheap.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Maxxis

Since Albion is wet most of the time and very wet in the spring, I would recommend Maxxis Swampthing tires; best mud tire ever. Not fast, but gobs of traction no matter how sloppy. Pick them up in wire bead and they are pretty cheap.
    Having said that, don't ride on wet trails... or at very least, wait until the Conservation Authority has given the green light to open the park (formally) for trail use.
    this space left intentionally blank

some kind of hero...
    I'm not sure what your expectations are, but if you want inexpensive tires go to the Mountain Equipment Co-op and get the IRC Piranha front & rear combo for $20! If you can still get them the IRC Mythos were about $15/tire. Next step up is the Panaracer XC Pro. Good all around tire, but not exceptional at anything...

Try Europe Bound (Toronto) on Front Street East for good deals on tires as well.

Good Luck!
    GEVELTERSCHMIDT RACING

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Bought the Panaracer XC Pro a while back and used them first time today at Albion. The tires were a major step up from my old stock crap. On climbs my back wheel never spun out once and cornering was great too.

mtbr member

need new tires too

Bought the Panaracer XC Pro a while back and used them first time today at Albion. The tires were a major step up from my old stock crap. On climbs my back wheel never spun out once and cornering was great too.
    did you pick them up at MEC? I grabbed some from there just before the bike show, great tires for fast downhill descents but man do they suck going up (or I m just outta shape )....

Anyone recommend a good fast rolling tire (1.95) Dont want to go more than $25-30 per tire

Tried WTB Nanoraptors last summer...great speed but cornering was not the greatest.

cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smiley
    did you pick them up at MEC? I grabbed some from there just before the bike show, great tires for fast downhill descents but man do they suck going up (or I m just outta shape )....

Anyone recommend a good fast rolling tire (1.95) Dont want to go more than $25-30 per tire

Tried WTB Nanoraptors last summer...great speed but cornering was not the greatest.

cheers
    Python Air Lites? I think they're around the price you want at MEC but I'm not sure.

I ride Nokian NBX 2.1s and I'm thinking about trying the NBXlites but they're around $50 new.
    I think the NBXs are a great tire for everything I've encountered in Ontario.

(aka SS_MB-7)
    For my 24 hr solos at Summer Solstice at Albion the last couple of years, I've used and loved Hutchinson Pythons. Man, do they roll fast on the hard-packed surface. There really isn't all that much that's technical at Albion, or, at least that I've seen during the 24 Hours. The only negative I can say about the Pythons is their side-wall resistance. On my local trails (Kanata), there is far too many jagged, sharp rocks, etc. and I've torn through 2 Python sidewalls. Locally, I use my tried-n-true IRC Mythos....great in the mud, durable and oh so grippy in the off-camber rocky stuff.

Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

some kind of hero...
    Quote Originally Posted by 1speed_Mike
    For my 24 hr solos at Summer Solstice at Albion the last couple of years, I've used and loved Hutchinson Pythons. Man, do they roll fast on the hard-packed surface. There really isn't all that much that's technical at Albion, or, at least that I've seen during the 24 Hours. The only negative I can say about the Pythons is their side-wall resistance. On my local trails (Kanata), there is far too many jagged, sharp rocks, etc. and I've torn through 2 Python sidewalls. Locally, I use my tried-n-true IRC Mythos....great in the mud, durable and oh so grippy in the off-camber rocky stuff.

I agree, I really like the Python Airlights for dry conditions. They are $34.95 a pair at Pricepoint right now if you don't mind the delivery time. Best local deal is likely MEC if they still have them. Locally, Hilton Falls is the rockiest area where the sidewall issue might be a problem. Otherwise they are fine for most areas... and they roll very fast...

Cheers
    GEVELTERSCHMIDT RACING

bi-winning
    There was a real good list of tires that are good for mud posted a week or two ago. try a search. from the info i have gathered, if you want good mud performance, you should look at something with a very open knobby design. The swampthing is a good example. something like the pythons is not usually reccomended for mud because the tight tread (fast rolling) gets packed with mud and will be slippery.

Swampthing:

Edit: Check these out:

* Panaracer TrailRaker 1.95/2.1
    * Schwalbe Black Shark Mud 2.1
    * IRC Stingo XC 1.90
    * Tioga Black Turtle 1.9
    * Maxxis Medusa 1.8
    * Maxxis Swampthing 2.1
    Last edited by rkj__; 05-13-2005 at 01:04 PM.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    http://www.mtbtires.com/

Wheels and Tires forum is a good place to check out if you want to have a long and loving discussion about tires.

I already rode that
    I out climbed my friend up this one hill that was a lil damp all on half worn firexc's and him on his practically new firexc's. Even in mud I didnt have a problem with them when they were new. Now I'm running Special eds Roll X's and they are great so far but I havent had any mud time in them yet so cant say how they will perform there for me.
    I stay away from semi slicks but my tires eventually become like them anyways

rad to the power of sick
    1st: Michelin comp s' (My fave race tire)

Doesnt have the most bite. But It is the most predictable tire I have ever ridden. Predictability is more important than overall grip IMO. When you push the tires to their limit, they gradually lose grip enabling you to recover before its too late.Another thing is they are extremely fast rolling. Also, if you can figure out a way to make mud stick to these tires then you must be a genius.

Of course all these lovely features come at a price

2nd: Conti Explorer Pros (My fave adventure tire)

These tires have amazing bite. They rule in loose ground or mud due to the wide spacing of the knobs. Tire rolling resistance is minor , although if there is lots of hard pack it may be a bit too knobby.

3rd: The Pythons

Light and Fast...but not much more. If there are lots of roots or rocks put these away. Ripped through 2 sets in a row. That being said, these tires are extremely fast if used in the right conditions.

g'luck
    Aaron
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Ya, got'em at MEC

Quote Originally Posted by smiley

cheers