Spring Epic 8 - May 28th- Mtbr.com
    Lemmy Rules!

Spring Epic 8 - May 28th

So who is in this year? I have just (possibly against my better judgment) signed up for solo singlespeed male (tean name: One Unglued Misfit) and am for some perverse reason looking forwards to riding around in circles for the day.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    I registered too (in solo singlespeed). I just want a decent day with no rain and then I am happy.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

sock puppet
    are you serious?

sock puppet
    Nucking Futs will be there of course

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    are you serious?
    No, I'm Unglued. Tom is Serious.
    Strava made me do it....

sock puppet

nothing wrong with that my friend..

nothing wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Unglued
    No, I'm Unglued. Tom is Serious.

Lemmy Rules!
    nothing wrong...

Oggie...join the dark side. Borrow a misfit and join my category.
    Strava made me do it....

sock puppet

guy lent it to me at durham one

sunny day...

15 minutes later, i was happy to do another swap and go back to my squishy...

life is tough enough to ride a rigid singlespeed....

Quote Originally Posted by Unglued
    Oggie...join the dark side. Borrow a misfit and join my category.

mtbr member
    Not playing with the group this year, will be at the 100 miler the week before. A season of a couple new races for me.

Evil Jr.
    I'm thinking this will be just the race for me this month. 8 hours of uninterrupted riding sounds like just the thing.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace
    Will be there, but still deciding what I feel like doing. I will either do a small team, or go solo in the non-ss category as I may give my geared bike a go for a few laps.

I hope we get some nice weather.
    I could be talked into a team too if you don't mind some non-Lapdog company. I'm not tied to any particular goal, I just want to get out and socialize.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Will be there, but still deciding what I feel like doing. I will either do a small team, or go solo in the non-ss category as I may give my geared bike a go for a few laps.

I hope we get some nice weather.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm in for solo! It will be great training for the Lumberjack 100 miler

Evil Jr.
    100% committed to SS Solo now. I'm in it purely for the perogies since I think I'm going to be glacially slow.

sock puppet

unglued is extremely happy

to hear that...

Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    since I think I'm going to be glacially slow.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt 24 solo
    Not playing with the group this year
    tsk, tsk... Matt, who you are playing with is completely your personal thing. and for the record, i will support you regardless of your choice...

will be at the 100 miler the week before. A season of a couple new races for me.
    why not both... i am thinking... just thinking at this point...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I just registered, and am also doing Vic's 100 the week before...so here is to a full week of pain....

Lemmy Rules!
    to hear that...

Hmmm... glacially slow Garage Monster vs. Unglued in typical early season form. It's really too close to call, folks....
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    So it looks like I am doing this solo, never done one this early in the season so I will see how it goes. I was planing on doing the series as a tag going for the overall but my tag partner ended up having to do some fire fighting training that saturday.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

Lemmy Rules!
    This rain has really cut into my pre-race mileage. It's gonna hurt....
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Yes it will hurt!

I have some longer rides on the road, but nothing longer than 1.5 hours off-road. In fact, I have exactly 4 off-road rides this year: 2 pre-rides and 2 O-Cup races. Not ideal, but we make do with what we have.

And I dedicate this race to my little orange boy cat who died May 3rd of heart failure (he was 3 years old). We miss him badly and his sister misses him even more. RIP Rory.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spring Epic 8 - May 28th-img_0023_1.jpg  

My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Evil Jr.
    Sorry to hear about your cat Serious. 3 is far too young.

At least the weather's looking good for Saturday!

mtbr member
    Thanks GM! I am very happy to see that the weather is looking good. Even if things don't go all that well this early in the season, a sunny day will make it much more enjoyable (for me anyway).
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Evil Jr.
    I'm starting to get pretty pumped about this event. Maybe it's the forecast or maybe it's that I've just decided on my "throwdown" music.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ujebm05G9JA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Evil Jr.
    High of 19, partly cloudy. Bring it on!

Lemmy Rules!
    I am curious as to any effect my performance in tomorrow's race will have on my rep power...
    Strava made me do it....

sock puppet
    anyone has any suggestion
    on tires for tomorrow?

mtbr member
    I used 29x2.4 Racing Ralphs (@37psi) front and rear at Victoria's100 last Sunday ,they worked perfect and not one slip all day .trails there are in great condition thanks to Dan.
    FAT since 09.
    Fatties are year round bikes!

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    anyone has any suggestion
    on tires for tomorrow?
    That depends.

Since you're not in my category, I'd say go with the widest Nevagals you can find (wire bead) so I can hear you coming from a mile away and it will take you a long time to reach me.

For anyone in my category, I'd recommend Schwalbe Ultremos (23s). Their low volume, thin casing and lack of tread should keep you so busy changing flats that I should easily take first place.

sock puppet
    i think i will go tubeless...

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Pack your trail runners.

mtbr member
    oh oh..now it looks like rain for Saturday..change your tires!!
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Good Luck and have fun everybody that will be at the race. I will hope for some nice weather. We all deserve some nice racing weather for a change. We haven't seen much of that the past few years. Have a great and safe race.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Now * that* was some of the most fun I have had on a bike. Loved the course, much less double track then I was expecting. I spilled my guts to get in under the last lap cutoff, but missed it by a hair.
    If the guy on the 29er who collided with me while passing on a last lap descent happens to be on here, dude hope your front wheel is ok- I stepped on it pretty hard when we fell-!
    and Congrats to Louda for the win in women's solo!

mtbr member
    Those braking bumps really did me in. My legs were still good to go but the wrists and palms were unusable. Rigid did not win a lot of points in my book today. But at least the bike took all the abuse I gave it!

mtbr member
    So we got lucky and had great weather yesterday. Thanks Mother Nature, but we need to have a talk about today!

The course was very, very nice, although the rough descents were hard to enjoy. They definitely took their toll on me, but that is what we get on a rigid bike.

I want to mention one more thing. I have no idea who wrote TBA (Tom Beck Axetrodinare) for my name (see results). It was certainly not me. I may be many things, but definitely not "axetrodinare". I kept seeing TBA when I tapped the chip at transition, but I had no clue what that means until I saw the results. It is both funny and a bit embarrasing.

Oh and my Rep Power is definitely questionable!
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Lemmy Rules!
    My most successful 8 hour solo ever. I think my lap times were pretty consistent until pretty close to the end. This was also the furthest I have ridden on a mountainbike in one day (120km). The course was not as tough as previous years, but that was not a bad thing...
    Strava made me do it....

sock puppet
    kudos to both tom and barry - great work and a gentleman etiquette on the course...

I Strava Hamburgers
    The course was a lot of fun. Full rigid on those downs was not, I was having a good go at the course till that first down showed its face, up and over I went on that massive dip. Botched my knee for the rest of the race.

Screw everything about that second climb after the Solo area though, that thing just got longer as the day went by.

Kudos to those who rode it, that's mad impressive.

Full rigid did suck for some parts, but others it was absolutely awesome.

There was a guy who rode by me on a Misfit and joked about riding SS and I joked back about not being able to hear with all the blood in my ears. I asked how you liked your Misfit but you didn't answer. Hopefully you weren't pissed or anything.

sock puppet

random pics... tom you look sharp...

Monsters - great to see you...

Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    So we got lucky and had great weather yesterday. Thanks Mother Nature, but we need to have a talk about today!

The course was very, very nice, although the rough descents were hard to enjoy. They definitely took their toll on me, but that is what we get on a rigid bike.

I want to mention one more thing. I have no idea who wrote TBA (Tom Beck Axetrodinare) for my name (see results). It was certainly not me. I may be many things, but definitely not "axetrodinare". I kept seeing TBA when I tapped the chip at transition, but I had no clue what that means until I saw the results. It is both funny and a bit embarrasing.

Oh and my Rep Power is definitely questionable!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spring Epic 8 - May 28th-img_1156.jpg  

Spring Epic 8 - May 28th-img_1157.jpg  

Spring Epic 8 - May 28th-img_1158.jpg  

Spring Epic 8 - May 28th-img_1165.jpg  

Spring Epic 8 - May 28th-img_1219_2.jpg  

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    The course was a lot of fun. Full rigid on those downs was not, I was having a good go at the course till that first down showed its face, up and over I went on that massive dip. Botched my knee for the rest of the race.

Screw everything about that second climb after the Solo area though, that thing just got longer as the day went by.

Kudos to those who rode it, that's mad impressive.

Full rigid did suck for some parts, but others it was absolutely awesome.

There was a guy who rode by me on a Misfit and joked about riding SS and I joked back about not being able to hear with all the blood in my ears. I asked how you liked your Misfit but you didn't answer. Hopefully you weren't pissed or anything.

I think that was me. Not pissed at all. I had just temporarily lost the power of speech...
    Strava made me do it....

I Strava Hamburgers
    Cool. Though, yes I totally agree with what you said

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    What a fun day! Great course, lot's of fun twisty section and great bumpy downhill section. It would have been tough on a rigid bike but super fun on a 29er full suspension. Congrats everyone for a great "dry" day on the trails.

mtbr member
    I have to agree it was a great day. I had no intention of racing but got a call at 11pm friday night from a friend who's team needed another rider. I had a lot more fun that I thought I would of!. Everyone was very nice out on the course and Chico did a great job organizing everything. My only complaint was that *#@!$^ hill that I had to get off and walk up. I think I only saw a couple of riders make it up the whole way.
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

I Strava Hamburgers
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgage View Post
    I have to agree it was a great day. I had no intention of racing but got a call at 11pm friday night from a friend who's team needed another rider. I had a lot more fun that I thought I would of!. Everyone was very nice out on the course and Chico did a great job organizing everything. My only complaint was that *#@!$^ hill that I had to get off and walk up. I think I only saw a couple of riders make it up the whole way.

You mean cyborgs. Humans don't climb that hill on a bike.

mtbr member
    That was such a fun course, so much fun that I had a hard time keeping the tempo down at the beginning because all I wanted to do was hammer the single track since there was so much flow. Thanks to everybody who paced me though sections, and sorry to anybody that I called the wrong side of a pass on, about half way though I couldn't figure out what was left and right but I finally got that sorted out.

It was a great day I really surprised myself with how well I was feeling and how fast I recovered at the end. I am a little upset with myself that I didn't go out for that last lap even though I had tons of time to go do it, I put it in my head that the 14th lap was going to be my last lap so I didn't even go out for the last lap, your head space has quite a lot to do with how well you do some times.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

mtbr member
    I saw some photographers taking pictures again at the race. Is it RaceDayRush that posts the pictures up for sale?

Thanks,

Ming

All my faucets is Moen.
    Quote Originally Posted by macming View Post
    I saw some photographers taking pictures again at the race. Is it RaceDayRush that posts the pictures up for sale?

Thanks,

Ming
    Yes it was.Looks like they are still working on getting them sorted by number plate.
    http://racedayrush.zoomphoto.ca/event/14817/

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    Monsters - great to see you...
    And it was great to be out too! So much fun and such a great course. Once you got up the first hill, it practically rode itself (except for Zack's Revenge, &[email protected]%$! )!

I went in with a very simple goal (aside from eating lots of perogies): do 10 laps as quickly and comfortably as possible. Surprisingly enough, I had that dispatched by 4 and was ready to hang it up but Mrs. Monster convinced me throw in one more parade lap for good measure, which I rode a very leisurely pace.

mtbr member
    What an awesome race. Conditions were perfect. The rain the night before kept Mansfield in great shape. Riding my geared with suspension bike for a lap was a fun experiment. Some of those downhills were night and day difference with the suspension. I still found my rigid SS to be faster on the course so I stuck with it for the remainder of the day.

It was great to see our team make it to first in our category, and it was awesome to see and chat with everyone.

Barry, thanks for the encouragement on Zack's revenge on my last lap. It got interrupted by walkers, but I had every intention to clear the full thing and finish strong.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace View Post
    Barry, thanks for the encouragement on Zack's revenge on my last lap. It got interrupted by walkers, but I had every intention to clear the full thing and finish strong.
    You looked like you had it.

I tried to ride it on my second lap, and made it 90% of the way up. After that I decided "the hell with it, I'm riding solo on a singlespeed so I have nothing to prove". Attempted it again on my last lap and failed miserably. C'est la vie...
    Strava made me do it....

Is it winter yet?
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by macming View Post

Thanks,

Ming
    You smiled for the camera. You actually smiled for the camera. If you hadn't smiled for the camera, we could have moved up in the standings to a higher yet equally insignificant placing.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by chansen View Post
    You smiled for the camera. You actually smiled for the camera. If you hadn't smiled for the camera, we could have moved up in the standings to a higher yet equally insignificant placing.

If he was a member of the glorious Nucking Futs, and he wasted 0.1 seconds smiling at the camera, he would be doing 2 consecutive night laps at Summer Solstice as an ultimate punishment.

Smiling, waving or doing anything that may be construed as POSING to the camera is ultimately embarrassing and detrimental to the team success and as such should be deemed inexcusable and unacceptable.

I applaud your public outrage and am giving you my rep point.

Evil Jr.
    Racing with grace means always smiling for the camera and never publicly displaying any outward emotion other than complete composure no matter your inner level of distress. That's how you mentally destroy the competition.

Chatting to them up a brutal climb helps as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Racing with grace means always smiling for the camera and never publicly displaying any outward emotion other than complete composure no matter your inner level of distress. That's how you mentally destroy the competition.

I like GM's approach, it has potential to be much more demoralizing to the competition for sure . However, if one decides to get their breathing all screwed up to make some insignificant, random small talk on an agonizing climb, they better know for sure they can bring it!

Hmmm... Maybe something I can try out tonight...
    NOT. I'll be too busy gasping for every breath I can get.

Evil Jr.
    This was an aesthetic I learned from the great Dave Stowe. No matter how much you were busting a gut to get away from him, he'd always just creep by (and away from) you with a ready smile and a twinkle in his eye. "Catch me" he'd say as he slipped over the crest of the next hill, never to be seen again.

Hardtail Freak
    This was an aesthetic I learned from the great Dave Stowe. No matter how much you were busting a gut to get away from him, he'd always just creep by (and away from) you with a ready smile and a twinkle in his eye. "Catch me" he'd say as he slipped over the crest of the next hill, never to be seen again.
    LOL I love that. So elusive, yet powerful. Oh, the legendary racing tactics.
    2018 Stanton Slackline 853
    2016 Norco Torrent 7.1
    Gone - 2000 Marin Indian Fire Trail
    Gone - 2001 Brodie Holeshot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chansen View Post
    heheh you gotta look good for the camera! Do you like any of the pictures posted? I'm thinking maybe buying a few.

mtbr member

Ah This is great, I remember somebody making a comment to me along the lines of - you are making me feel bad you flew by me last time, you make it look effortless and you have done twice the laps as I have - I smiled back and answered " I only try to encourage people and make them smile, and it's not effortless I am just really good at faking that it doesn't hurt"
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

Members who have read this thread: 0