Soooo I bent my crank... :(- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    107

    Soooo I bent my crank... :(

    Yesterday I went riding in Kelso and I guess I hit a rock or something. I don't remember any hard impacts, but later I felt that my pedal is feeling kinda strange. Upon inspection my left crank is bent dangerously too close to the frame. There's like 2mm clearance left now. I took it off and tried to straighten it with a hammer, but no such luck. Cranks are Truvative FiveD and seems that they are on the bottom of the crank food chain. So I guess I'm wondering if there is a way of fixing them? (hammer doesn't work)
    Alternatively, I could just buy a replacement? Can somebody reccomend me a good brand/model for a XC bike?

  2. #2
    I already rode that
    Reputation: SuperNewb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,632
    Depends how much you weigh in order to pick an apporpiate crank. Looking to goto the newer outter bearing style or staying with ISIS? ( I take it the fireD is ISIS )

    Raceface is a good popular brand.
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

  3. #3
    Misfit Psycles
    Reputation: nogearshere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,772
    dont fix them. bent once they are in bad shape, bent twice they are dangerous.

    budget is the restrictor when it comes to cranks got one? or is the sky the limit? if those were good to you and coin is low try to source a replacement arm...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    107
    I started to look for cranks and I didn't think that they'd be so pricy. I guess I'm willing to spend 200-250 bucks on it (I already spent like 800 on my bike this season).

    I'm looking at those cranksets and I have no idea. My BB is not isis, it's the square one. So the question is should I find cranks for my existing BB or just get a new one as well. (then how do I replace BB? never done that yet). I weight 180lb and don't ride particularly hard. Bike normally recieves less damage than me.

    I wasn't planning to do more "forced upgrades" this season. But it looks I have to ... I mean

    So, looking at what bikeroom has to offer, there is:
    FSA V Drive MegaExo Crankset (http://www.bikeroom.com/s.nl/it.A/id...2&category=381)
    Shimano XT® M752 Crankset (http://www.bikeroom.com/s.nl/it.A/id...2&category=382) plus i need whatever BB has to work with it.
    Raceface Evolve XC X-Type Crankset (http://www.bikeroom.com/s.nl/it.A/id...2&category=380) and need BB again.

    Any input would be greatly appreciated.

  5. #5
    I already rode that
    Reputation: SuperNewb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,632
    The XT needs a BB where as the other 2 dont as they are intergrated with the cranks.
    Those XT used to be known for creaking...My friends warrentied ones even started creaking shortly afterwards.
    I'd lean more towards the Raceface only by name mostly or pick up the FSA ones and you should be good to go.
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

  6. #6
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,100

    i have Race Face Next LP

    ISIS for sale with BB - Race Face SIgnature XS...

    with all rings and i'll throw in extra used (excellent shape) middle ring and bash ring for the total price that will be MUCH, MUCH lower than anything on the market...

    crans are in excellent shape, used for less than a year...

    PM me if you have questions...



    Quote Originally Posted by GroceryBagHead
    I started to look for cranks and I didn't think that they'd be so pricy. I guess I'm willing to spend 200-250 bucks on it (I already spent like 800 on my bike this season).

    I'm looking at those cranksets and I have no idea. My BB is not isis, it's the square one. So the question is should I find cranks for my existing BB or just get a new one as well. (then how do I replace BB? never done that yet). I weight 180lb and don't ride particularly hard. Bike normally recieves less damage than me.

    I wasn't planning to do more "forced upgrades" this season. But it looks I have to ... I mean

    So, looking at what bikeroom has to offer, there is:
    FSA V Drive MegaExo Crankset (http://www.bikeroom.com/s.nl/it.A/id...2&category=381)
    Shimano XT® M752 Crankset (http://www.bikeroom.com/s.nl/it.A/id...2&category=382) plus i need whatever BB has to work with it.
    Raceface Evolve XC X-Type Crankset (http://www.bikeroom.com/s.nl/it.A/id...2&category=380) and need BB again.

    Any input would be greatly appreciated.

  7. #7
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,108
    Stop by some shops and see if they have any more trusty square taper cranks left. They may be willing to get rid of them for a reduced price. I can't complain much about my old Deore crank. It's not light, but it works.

    Outside of that, i would look towards one of the models with the external bearings such as a new LX, or similar.

    http://pricepoint.com/detail/13708-1...0-Crankset.htm

    Pricepoint ships USPS to Canada, so you don't need to worry about strange brokerage fees and such.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  8. #8
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Bill Payer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Pricepoint ships USPS to Canada, so you don't need to worry about strange brokerage fees and such.
    really? this is contrary to what they post on their website.

    Canadian Duties: Customers ordering from Canada are responsible for any and all duties, custom or brokers fees as their order enters the country. Because we ship via United States Post Office these fees are kept to a minimum. Please contact you local customs office for more information.
    This has always scared me away. You got stuff broker fee free in the past? I also hate surprise duties and this is why I stopped shopping US a couple years ago.
    "an inch an hour...two feet per day..."

  9. #9
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Payer
    really? this is contrary to what they post on their website.



    This has always scared me away. You got stuff broker fee free in the past? I also hate surprise duties and this is why I stopped shopping US a couple years ago.
    Well, the order i made was from BlueSky, but the shipping was the same "U.S. Postal Service Air Parcel Post." I did not pay any fees outside of the twenty-something dollar shipping fee.

    I too was scared of strange fees being slapped on, but USPS was good to me. Took a little over a week. Not super fast, but like i said, no surprise fees for my order.

    In general, when getting mail oreder stuff from the US, the more money you spend, the better the deal. The shipping on somthing like grips would be a little silly, but for something like a crank, you will still save money unless you have great deals at your LBS.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  10. #10
    Bored
    Reputation: bigwheelboy_490's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1,982
    Try these guys.. You still pay GST and some brokerage, but the order process is great..

    www.speedgoat.com
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

  11. #11
    I wonder why?
    Reputation: i1dry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by GroceryBagHead
    Yesterday I went riding in Kelso and I guess I hit a rock or something. I don't remember any hard impacts, but later I felt that my pedal is feeling kinda strange. Upon inspection my left crank is bent dangerously too close to the frame. There's like 2mm clearance left now. I took it off and tried to straighten it with a hammer, but no such luck. Cranks are Truvative FiveD and seems that they are on the bottom of the crank food chain. So I guess I'm wondering if there is a way of fixing them? (hammer doesn't work)
    Alternatively, I could just buy a replacement? Can somebody reccomend me a good brand/model for a XC bike?
    I was just doing an inventory of bike parts yesterday and I've got a used XT crank set with BB (73 x 113) if your interested. Still in excellent condition and will be cheap. PM me if your interested.

    i1dry?

  12. #12
    Misfit Psycles
    Reputation: nogearshere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,772
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheelboy_490
    Try these guys.. You still pay GST and some brokerage, but the order process is great..

    www.speedgoat.com
    actually if they declare any sort of value you should be paying the GST anyway...Canada Post has been hit-or-miss and there is little (regular) enforcement. their fees have also jumped, the min charge is now in the area of 7.50 to 15$ (plus the gst needed). still nowhere near the min $30 UPS charges.

    one day a $1500 shipment comes in gratis and the next i have to pay $20 in brokerage and gst for $100...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    107
    Thank you for your imput guys. I went ahead and ordered FSA crank set. Reviews are pretty much all positive and price is reasonable as well.

  14. #14
    Eat me.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    111

    Good job! Where'd you buy?

    I hope you went with Pricepoint though - I've bought twice from Bikeroom and got a switcheroo (sent XT front der instead of LX front I ordered ) but didn't send the rubber seal washer in a headset and they didn't reply to my e-mails Plus the bearings were steel, not stainless steel like they should have been

    Bought 4 times from pricepoint.com. Fastest was 7 days because no duties were slapped on, longest was 3 weeks because of the July long weekends and time spent at customs. But all were shipped as ordered.

    But still support your LBS if they treat you right....

    Good choice, FSA - I went RF Evolve XC, it is equivalent

  15. #15

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    44

    crank prices

    This is probably obviously spam but check out my site at www.bikerinc.ca
    I have a race face Diabolus at $270.99 and an atlas at $245.70 cdn coming in. We have shimano on the site. We will also take requests. I am going to add a request page in a few weeks.
    Anyways we just started the store a month ago as a result of a really bad bike room experience and noticed there wasnt alot of Canadian options out there. things are going well but check us out. We are also adding more stock all the time... We are all Canadian...

  16. #16
    almost there!
    Reputation: AJ541's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    341

    Bonking ... not feelin' well I broke my crank about a month ago...


Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.