Something BIG- Mtbr.com

Thread: Something BIG

Evil Jr.

Something BIG

I've been teasing for weeks and it's been a very difficult secret to keep but I am unbelievably thrilled to announce the Hamilton Cycling Club's inaugural TRAIL BUILDING DAY!!!

On Saturday April 9th, we will be hosting the IMBA Trail Care Crew at a landmark event in Christie Lake Conservation Area. The agenda is (loosely) as follows:

Morning: In-class trail building school (on-site) generously supported by our good friends at Domestique-Café Cyclo Sportif

Lunch: BBQ generously supported by our good friends at Freewheel Cycle

Afternoon: TRAIL BUILDING

Evening: Gigantic PARTY!

There will also be some form of prizes provided from our very generous friends at Redline, Race Face and Joyride 150.

There are a LOT more details to follow but I've been holding this in for way too long and it's a giant relief to finally let it all out.

Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Awesome news GM. Congrats to you and the HCC.
    looks like this IMBA thing is picking up in Southern Ontario. HUUUUUGE.
    Bright future ahead.

And you should totally get SLR to DJ your party.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion
    And you should totally get SLR to DJ your party.
    You read my mind! Scouting venues shortly...
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Something BIG-poster_mtbr.jpg
    phil shep

COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

mtbr member
    Wow, that didn't take long! Nice work Phil!!

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by langford
    A keen eye will notice that since my original post, we've added Mountain Equipment Co-op as a suppoter as well. Wow!

So much win!

GAME ON!
    what exactly is to be done?

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    what exactly is to be done?
    The exact build is one of the details that has yet to be determined. We've submitted our conceptual trail plan to the Conservation staff ecologist for review (there are nesting birds we need to avoid in the Spring for obvious reasons) and we should have a starting point identified shortly.

I spent quite a bit of time talking to the Trail Care Crew at the Bike Show and they seemed pretty confident we can get a good chunk of singletrack opened up in just one afternoon even with as few as 30-40 people.

If it's not clear from what we've already posted, this event is open to the public (including kids). We're only asking for RSVPs so we can plan for enough food and such!

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    AWESOME!

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I don't see the word "Stakeholder" anywhere in this thread. Disappointed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    There is a facebook event page for this build date for those that use it.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=103103243105118

sock puppet

I don't see HIM either...

double disappointment...

Does that mean that there are people OTHER than HIM and Phat that build trails?

Quote Originally Posted by shirk

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Veri Nyce ;-)

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk

I like Steak.

Evil Jr.
    Last night, I wrote a very nice letter inviting the Iroquoia Bruce Trail Club to join us. I am very curious to see if they are interested.

BTW, on the off chance that anyone out there has a better contact for them than their [email protected] address, please PM me.

Kidding myself...

Jealous!!!!!

That's fantastic! I wish we could convince our regional Conservation Area Nazis to consider doing the same. We have approached them about singletrack building. I'm afraid the old Tilley-topped fuddy-duddies in Kingston are not on board. Sure we're 'free' to enjoy these conservation areas but only if we don't ride bikes or *gasp* run!
    Keep doing what you're doing, keep settiing that precedent!
    "When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race." ~H.G. Wells

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by anarawd
    That's fantastic! I wish we could convince our regional Conservation Area Nazis to consider doing the same. We have approached them about singletrack building. I'm afraid the old Tilley-topped fuddy-duddies in Kingston are not on board. Sure we're 'free' to enjoy these conservation areas but only if we don't ride bikes or *gasp* run!
    Keep doing what you're doing, keep settiing that precedent!
    Keep trying - and we discovered, clubs hold a LOT more weight. I suspect you're running into what we did (and SHCC), which is delicate Niagara Escarpment land - a VERY sensitive topic. Urging them to get in touch with other Conservation Areas was helpful as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl
    Urging them to get in touch with other Conservation Areas was helpful as well.
    Steer them to Conservation Halton who have been very successfully operating single track at Kelso and Hilton Falls for a long period of time - 15 years, anyways.....

Evil Jr.
    Steer them to Conservation Halton who have been very successfully operating single track at Kelso and Hilton Falls for a long period of time - 15 years, anyways.....
    We're fortunate that the our guy at the HCA is the same guy that got things going over in Hilton fifteen years ago. He "gets" it.

mtbr Decade+
    I'd be curious to know what the revenue is from MTBing at Halton Conservation. There sure is a lot of traffic there...
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie
    I'd be curious to know what the revenue is from MTBing at Halton Conservation. There sure is a lot of traffic there...
    The Superintendent at Christie visited both Kelso and Albion to chat-up the people there and understand how they work.

The Conservation Authority derives almost 70% of its revenue from user fees (despite what a lot of people think). That includes everything from visits to Westfield to the waterslides in Centennial.

By doing cool things like building singletrack, they not only get more people interested in becoming members (revenue), they get people out into the Conservation Areas in general and taking pride in them (stewardship).

mtbr Decade+
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    The Superintendent at Christie visited both Kelso and Albion to chat-up the people there and understand how they work.

The Conservation Authority derives almost 70% of its revenue from user fees (despite what a lot of people think). That includes everything from visits to Westfield to the waterslides in Centennial.

By doing cool things like building singletrack, they not only get more people interested in becoming members (revenue), they get people out into the Conservation Areas in general and taking pride in them (stewardship).
    I think it is good business. Conservation areas need money too. My Wife and I, back in the employed days, used to be regulars at the restaurant at Fifty Point - it was so good. These unique draws definitely get people out enjoying nature.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

humber river advocate
    wow! they must be raking in the dough...

for example the conservation authority here break down of revenue is thus:

47% muncipal funding
    8% prov funding
    2% fed funding
    2% conservation funding
    22% fees, rentals, and contract services
    19% other sources

link here: http://trca.on.ca/dotAsset/83507.pdf

charging a fee does not promote stewardship for alot of stakeholders. as a matter of fact it can be seen as a form of exclusion or barrier.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket
    wow! they must be raking in the dough...

for example the conservation authority here break down of revenue is thus:

47% muncipal funding
    8% prov funding
    2% fed funding
    2% conservation funding
    22% fees, rentals, and contract services
    19% other sources

link here: http://trca.on.ca/dotAsset/83507.pdf

charging a fee does not promote stewardship for alot of stakeholders. as a matter of fact it can be seen as a form of exclusion or barrier.
    Hmmm....

a) Appointment of BMBC to the Humber Watershed Alliance

vs.

b) HCC building 10km of new sanctioned singletrack in a new area

Hopefully a) will eventually pan out to as much as b) or more. Until that time, it's an understatement to say that I'm more impressed with b).

Evil Jr.
    wow! they must be raking in the dough....
    The HCA itself runs on a surprisingly modest budget considering how much land they have under management. And while I understand that not everyone has huge sums of money lying around, Annual Pass rates are pretty reasonable by any standard. We just renewed our Family Pass for something like $95 and that gets us into all of the HCA CAs for a full year plus a bunch of other fringe benefits (like two passes to the Wave Pool! ). Rates for other "user groups" (like Seniors) are even more attractive and given the benefits we derive from membership, it's a tremendous value!

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip
    Hmmm....

vs.

Hopefully a) will eventually pan out to as much as b) or more. Until that time, it's an understatement to say that I'm more impressed with b).
    actually the above statement sums up the problems we have in southern ontario. advocacy is as critical as building trail. even though we have gained trail, we have also
    lost trail and the opportunity to build trail.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

humber river advocate
    The HCA itself runs on a surprisingly modest budget considering how much land they have under management. And while I understand that not everyone has huge sums of money lying around, Annual Pass rates are pretty reasonable by any standard. We just renewed our Family Pass for something like $95 and that gets us into all of the HCA CAs for a full year plus a bunch of other fringe benefits (like two passes to the Wave Pool! ). Rates for other "user groups" (like Seniors) are even more attractive and given the benefits we derive from membership, it's a tremendous value!
    i know it is necessary to charge in some instances and the demographic model of a local area might pertain well for that. but in some areas you get the opposite end of the spectrum. for example in the humber area we have some of the wealtest people with large estate homes and we have some of the poorest areas that see the greatest influx of imimgrants in canada. for the majority of people in the lower end of the spectrum of users a $95 pass is unattainable as well as transportation to the park. yet they are one of the largest group of stakeholders. they use the green spaces they can reach, unfortunately this concentrated use puts a strain on the park facilities as well as the ecological integrity of the area. it is a unique challange for which there are solutions. one of which is building a large network of sustainable trails (singletrack) through a naturlized multi municipality area and urban agriculture park system that is free to use.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Evil Jr.
    One of the reasons the HCA chose Christie for trail development is its ease of accessibility. It's quite easy to reach by bike using a number of on and off-road routes!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie
    I had a quick look at last year's financial report, it doesn't break things down to that level of detail. It does say that 48% of Conservation Halton's funding comes from user fees.

mtbr member
    . it is a unique challange for which there are solutions. one of which is building a large network of sustainable trails (singletrack) through a naturlized multi municipality area and urban agriculture park system that is free to use.
    HCC is working on this aspect as well, unfortunately dealing with the City so far has taken much longer than we had ever planned. Very slow progress so far, but we're hoping for improvement!

Evil Jr.
    I should also mention that Christie is home to the Hamilton YMCA's day camp so kids from across the City will be able to enjoy the trails all Summer!

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip
    Hmmm....

vs.

Every step is a good step. I think everyone who's been involved with Christie is really proud (and it did take work and persistence), but we've also been incredibly lucky to have such great support from the local Conservation Authority.

As far as passes go, the walk-in/bike-in annual pass is only $35. It's not heavily policed, so lots of people use the conservation areas without paying, but I'm happy to support such an awesome amenity.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    One of the reasons the HCA chose Christie for trail development is its ease of accessibility. It's quite easy to reach by bike using a number of on and off-road routes!
    Also would like to point out that if you are walking or biking these areas have multiple points of entry and thus even though they are fee based people can still access them easily without paying. If you use the areas heavily and can pay then I think you should. But while riding through dundas conservation area for example I always wondered how many people had paid. I think the number is actually pretty low.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I for one will be buying a season’s pass. This will be the easiest way to make sure you have access to all entries via bike. The only downside to this, is that the HCA has no way of measuring how many people come in alternate entrances on bikes. Which will be good data to know once the trail system is up and running. Hmmmmmm.....
    phil shep

COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

Evil Jr.
    I just got the greatest note from one of the youngest members of the Club's Youth Program. He's totally excited and says he can't wait for April 9th!

That's all the incentive I need, right there!

humber river advocate
    HCC is working on this aspect as well, unfortunately dealing with the City so far has taken much longer than we had ever planned. Very slow progress so far, but we're hoping for improvement!
    A very successful program here is:

http://www.partnersinprojectgreen.com/

green areas/parks/watershed/trails are part of that mosaic as well...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Evil Jr.
    Made my way out (along with a few other thirsty HCC members) to the GORBA AGM last night to personally invite them to our TCC visit. They're a great bunch of guys (and gals) that been there to support us since before the beginning. It'll be great to have them out for the day!

Evil Jr.
    We ironed out a few more details over the weekend.

Due to the overwhelmingly strong response we're getting, we've relocated the Trail School part of the day to an Engineering lecture hall at McMaster. Lovely as the original location was, with anything over 30 people, we would have been on top of one another. This new room will work with up to 80 people. However, if people keep signing up at the same rate, we may have to look at something even bigger!

Secondly (and maybe more importantly, ), the after-party will be at Collins Brewhouse in downtown Dundas. Again, the details depend on the amount of people we get but with a tasty menu and two house-brewed beers on tap (among dozens), this is shaping up to be an EPIC celebration of an EPIC win!

Evil Jr.
    Woohoo! Just heard back from the Iroquoia Bruce Trail Club and they're coming along! This is turning out excellently!

Evil Jr.
    Just got back from a meeting where we introduced the Trail Care Crew to our land manager, the Hamilton Conservation Authority. To call it productive would be a gross understatement. This event gets better every day and the RSVPs just keep roling in. April can't come soon enough!

Evil Jr.
    Finally, we're able to make the OFFICIAL Press Release!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Visiting Trail Experts Will Inspire Local Trail Building

The IMBA Canada Trail Care Crew will be in Hamilton, Saturday April 9th, 2011to talk trails, teach proper trail building techniques, and spend quality time digging in the dirt. Everyone is invited to attend the weekends events.

Directed by the Canadian office of the International Mountain Bicycling Association (IMBA Canada), in partnership with Parks Canada and the Trans Canada Trail, the Trail Care Crew program includes a full-time, professional team of trail experts who travels across Canada in a Subaru Outback. The dynamic duo lead IMBA Trail Building Schools, meet with government officials and land managers, and work with IMBA-affiliated mountain bike clubs, Parks Canada sites, and Trans Canada Trail local, provincial and territorial organizations to improve trail opportunities Canada-wide. This visit is one of more than 30 stops on the 2011 schedule.

The Trail Care Crew teaches "sustainable" trail building, which means building natural surface trails that last a long time and require minimal maintenance. This helps reduce trail damage, protects the environment, and enhances visitor enjoyment.

Most visits last three or four days, allowing time to assess local trails, host an evening event, conduct an IMBA Trail Building School, and ride or hike with the locals. All are welcome to join the Trail Care Crew when they come to town. Below is a schedule of events that are open to the public:

IMBA Trail Building School: Saturday April 9th, 2011 9am-12:00 pm @ MacMaster
    IMBA Trai Building Field Work 1:00pm-4:00pm @ Christie Lake Conservation Area
    Trail Building After Party: Saturday April 9th, Time and Location TBD
    Group ride: Sunday April 10th, Time and Location TBD

For more information and to register for the IMBA Trail Building School, contact [email protected]

For a complete list of visit dates, photos, and additional information on the IMBA Canada Trail Care Crew visit www.imbacanada.com.

About IMBA Canada
    The International Mountain Bicycling Association (IMBA) Canada is a non-profit association whose mission is to create, enhance and preserve great trail experiences for mountain bikers throughout Canada. Since 1988, IMBA has been bringing out the best in mountain biking worldwide by encouraging low-impact riding, volunteer trail work participation, and cooperation among different trail user groups, grassroots advocacy and innovative trail management solutions. IMBA’s Canadian office has been up and running since 2005. Find out more at www.imbacanada.com.

About The HCC Trail Advocacy Committee
    The Hamilton Cycling Club is one of the oldest cycling clubs in North America and its Trail Advocacy Committee (TAC) is proud to celebrate its one-year anniversary with this landmark event. Aside from its work with the Hamilton Conservation Authority, the TAC also plays an active role in cycling advocacy at the Municipal and Provincial levels.

Media Contacts

Hamilton Cycling Club
    905-518-8047
    Braden.pent[email protected]
    http://hamiltoncycling.com/

IMBA Canada Trail Care Crew Coordinator
    (613) 301-8098

[email protected]
    www.imbacanada.com

Avenger of Evil
    Saw it on the new website.
    http://www.imbacanada.com/
    Famous Last Words....."Hey, watch this!!"

Evil Jr.
    And here we have the Final Agenda (at least until the next one, ):

Quote Originally Posted by HCC
    IMBA Trail Workshop – Hamilton

Schedule of Events

Saturday April 9
    8:00 - 9:00:
    Registration at McMaster University, 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, Room JHE 342. (John Hodgins Engineering Building, building # 16 on the McMaster campus map)
    On-campus parking is available at a price. Free parking is available in surrounding neighbourhoods. - Sign in, grab some refreshments (thank you Café Domestique!) and meet the IMBA Trail Care Crew.

9:00 - Noon:
    In-class session - Learn what it takes to build some great trail.

Noon - 1:00:
    BBQ lunch at Christie Lake Conservation Area, 1000 Highway 5 West, Dundas – Grab some grub (thank you Freewheel Cycle!) and take-in the surroundings.

1:00 - 4:00:
    Trailbuilding School field session – Put everything you learned in the morning in motion.

5:00 – Late:
    Celebration at Collins Brewhouse, 33 King Street West, Dundas – Enjoy the spoils of good day’s work.

Sunday April 10

Group Ride departing from Café Domestique, 12 Millers Lane, Dundas at 10:00 AM.

Participants should bring:
    - Water and snacks
    - Work gloves and hat
    - Sunscreen and/or bug spray
    - Closed toe shoes or boots (steel toe if possible)
    - Long pants
    - Rain gear, if necessary
    - A few of your favourite hand-tools (clippers, rakes and shovels are always handy)
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtb wipeout king
    looking forward to this day. I should be there, then have to book it after so i can take the wife out to dinner for the anniversary lol

Evil Jr.
    We've been doing a ton of behind-the-scenes work to make this a great event. It's shaping up to be the biggest Trail Workshop IMBA has hosted yet in Canada.

We're expecting that not everyone will be able to stick around for the after-party so we're leaving it pretty low-key but it should still be a great time!

Evil Jr.
    I actually did an interview with a newspaper about the event yesterday. I have some practice at these sorts of things but it always seems to turn out a little sideways. I'll open the paper and think "Did I say that?!?"

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    We've been doing a ton of behind-the-scenes work to make this a great event. It's shaping up to be the biggest Trail Workshop IMBA has hosted yet in Canada.

We're expecting that not everyone will be able to stick around for the after-party so we're leaving it pretty low-key but it should still be a great time!

Sounds great, looking forward to participating!

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

All my faucets is Moen.

Something Big...

...is happening this weekend.

#TCC first tools in the dirt for the @Hamilton Cycling Club in preparation for Saturday's trail building school

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    awesome!!
    phil shep

COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

Evil Jr.
    We had a huge day out there today! We got some demonstration section of Blue trail in, did some clearing of a Black corridor and generally just had a blast out in the woods. We're going to have some great projects for Saturday. Only one more day of prep work until the BIG event! And the weather looks like it's going to be perfect!

Evil Jr.
    We just got back from another big day in the woods! We built a sweet demo bit of Black bench and cleared a ton of Green and Blue corridor. You guys are in for a treat!

Speaking of treats, Mrs. Monster has baked three batches of her World-famous (yes, I'm serious) chocolate chip cookies for the Mac session. First-come, first-serve so don't dawdle on your way in!

Speaking of which, MEC just RSVPed and they're sending over five staff members for the day. I hear they're very hungry so that should be even more incentive to show up early.

The weather's gonna be perfect so even if you haven't signed up, don't be shy about coming out. Something this BIG is bound to be great!

bi-winning
    garage monster, you and the HCC are setting a great example, and for that I salute you.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Fantastic day got lots done to give the build a good start. We are lucky to be having the trail car crew so involved. It is only going to mean lots of very nice singletrack. everyone coming tomorrow is going to have a great time. Have a couple blisters that will hopefully get bigger tomorrow

mtbr Decade+
    I second what Ryan said.

Great effort HCC and sponsors. Truly, karma brought you this weather today.

If it wasn't for 2 term papers and 2 kids - I'd be there.

mtbr member
    Something big turned into something HUGE!!! 77 attendees yesterday and a perfect day for trail building. Still some frozen ground in spots, but much was accomplished. Big thanks to all! The organizers (Marc, Braden, Kim, Peter) did a fantastic job, the Trail Care Crew (Deanne and Chad) were awesome, Mark and Lora were awesome, we got lots of help from our friends at Short Hills and GORBA, and we met lots of new friends, had great prizes (thanks sponsors!) and great coffee (thanks Krys @ Domestique) and cookies (thanks Nerdgirl!) and great lunch (thanks Vince @ Freewheel) Thanks Bruce for letting us do some work!!!
    Sorry if I missed anyone!

We built some very nice stuff, have to wait a bit to ride it. Great Work Everyone!!!!
    Last edited by langford; 04-10-2011 at 06:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    What a great day. Everyone was fantastic and with som many people out we made quick work of the building. Here are some pics.

mtbr member

woww...

That's like an army there...

Really nice turn out, those berms looks tempting...

Great job guys...

bi-winning
    Berm!
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Lemmy Rules!
    Great work guys. I take my hat off to you.

I wish I could have been there to help. I spent the day digging the foundation for my new deck, so at least I got in some practice with the shovel for the next trail-building day.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Unglued]Great work guys. I take my hat off to you.

+1

mtbr member

Good job!

Something big turned into something HUGE!!! 77 attendees yesterday and a perfect day for trail building. Still some frozen ground in spots, but much was accomplished. Big thanks to all! The organizers (Marc, Braden, Kim, Peter) did a fantastic job, the Trail Care Crew (Deanne and Chad) were awesome, Mark and Lora were awesome, we got lots of help from our friends at Short Hills and GORBA, and we met lots of new friends, had great prizes (thanks sponsors!) and great coffee (thanks Krys @ Domestique) and cookies (thanks Nerdgirl!) and great lunch (thanks Vince @ Freewheel) Thanks Bruce for letting us do some work!!!

We built some very nice stuff, have to wait a bit to ride it. Great Work Everyone!!!!
    + 17.54

Can't extend my gratitude to everyone involved enough. There is really something great happening here. First proper trail building I've ever done, those berms take a crap load of work, it's not like there is just a couple cubic yards of soil sitting nicely in a pile ready to be shaped. And my vote goes to Braden getting the first run down the berms since he took the major initiative to get IMBA here.

mtbr member

My bad...

I realized it after a pushed submit.....

Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Berm!

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by want to ride
    I realized it after a pushed submit.....
    My comment was actually just an indication of excitement with regards to the trail feature, not a response to any particular comment.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007

It really was incredible. Added big thanks to Joyride150, who not only gave away some super prizes (day passes and wicked Joyride clothing) but came with muscle and experience to help build. They hinted that as we get further into the project, they might help with some technical trail features...!

Mountain Equipment Co-op was also amazing, with six participants and five $50 gift certificates raffled to participants. Thanks!

RaceFace provided three sick collectible Deus bars in sweet colours (red pink and purple), and Redline provided a pile of T-shirts, hats and bandannas. Awesome.

And as langford mentioned, of course, Cafe Domestique provided lots of their awesome coffee and Freewheel Cycle provided a stellar BBQ. Huge thanks!

We went back in with the Trail Care Crew yesterday to tour around with fresh eyes. This is the most work they've ever gotten done in a single build day! It's also the most people they've ever had out, so there was a little chaos, but it all turned out well. Thanks to all the people who came out with lots of energy and enthusiasm for making that possible. Although we have to wait for a little more melting/drying to finish up some of the bits, it will be so much fun to ride. These were example pieces of trail that will be reviewed by the Advisory Board in June, so I'd just like to remind people not to do any further un-scheduled building, and please don't ride the trails before they're officially open. We want to maintain our excellent relationship with the Conservation Authority.

Speaking of which, both the Superintendent of Christie and the Maintenance Manager took tours of the trails and were really impressed with the results. So exciting!
    Last edited by Nerdgirl; 04-11-2011 at 07:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    What an amazing day. Great to see so many people come out of the woodwork for this project. This just shows that the Hamilton area will benefit greatly from a purpose built trail system! I spent the entire build in the double berm section; when I took a walk about at the end I was shocked at just how much trail was created. Looking forward to the next build day already!

A huge thanks to all volunteers and event sponsors that made this happen

Cheers
    phil shep

COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

Evil Jr.
    What can I say? I was totally overwhelmed by the response we got for our event. We got to the class room at Mac just after 8AM and people were already there waiting for us. More and more people just kept pouring in and we had to scramble to find more and more chairs.

Head count for the in-class session was right around 75 and people were waiting for us to show up at Christie. In the end, we probably had close to 100 people clearing, grubbing and finishing.

I spent the bulk of my time down in the pines leading a crew building a section of Blue trail but when were called out to help with tamping up in the Black, I couldn't believe how far we'd made it. It just kept going and going and going.

Great big thanks to all that came out, all the groups represented (15 different affliliations from shops to clubs to the HCA and even the Bruce Trail Conservancy), all our terrific sponsors (Domestique, Freewheel, Raceface, Red Line, MEC and Joyride) and most of all to my most TIRELESS and SELFLESS COMMITEE - this was a tremendous group effort and I'm so proud of how pulled this thing off!

Cheers!

Marc

mtbr member
    Looks like it was an amazing day! Great turn out! Kudos to all of you for the time and sweat equity.
    Defiant MTB

2008 Yeti 575 Carbon Team Turquoise

Evil Jr.
    IMBA Blog!

You couldn't really ask more of a Trail Care Crew than we received from Chad and Deanne. They are two of the most dedicated advocates I have ever seen. Even when we tried to ply them with TV and chips, they steadfastly stuck to preparing their presentation. Without them, we wouldn't have accoplished half as much. If you are fortunate enough to meet either of them either at Short Hills this weekend or at the the Kelso Festival later in the year, prepare to be impressed!

Also, I LURV this pic!

Members who have read this thread: 0