Some Medical Revelations from the CBC tonight- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

cyberbully
    cbc you did it again, sub-standard journalism...this explains the study a bit better:

Road Bike Action Magazine: Cycling News, Product Reviews, Road Bike Test & Features, Race News and Much More!

is "soft" a scientific term ? are the results statistically significant ? (for a 20 minute ride in a lab, how about a 3-4 hour ride repeated almost every day for three weeks ?)

there was an earlier study that advil does nothing, wasn't there ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Ok.... but without any solid, rigorous, scientifically controlled research to decide whether or not it works we have to look at the other evidence, and it seems to say yes, it works.

cyberbully
    I used to run some DOE and statistically analyze the results in my old job (even got co-author credit on a published paper once), not in pharma mind you, but i would not run the experiment this way, it tells you absolutely nothing. I have to wonder if Lance donated some money to this centre...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    This is an example of what's known as a meta-study. The authors have not done any actual research themselves, they have just reviewed 20 years worth of existing literature, in the context of the recent tour ruling.

If there is any reason to believe that EPO has any harmful side effect, and it seems that there is, then there likely never will be any further science to test it for cycling performance in humans in Europe or North America. The only loophole that is available in Europe or North America is if there is some non-cycling indication for its use, some medical condition that can be treated with EPO. Once you have that in hand, you can sign up any patients who are also into bikes for a side project on endurance. Failing that, if you're stuck in Europe or North America, you can do the experiment in mice on treadmills.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RBA
    In any case, said the study, VO2 max is only a minor factor in the performance of endurance cyclists.
    I'm not sure I'm buying what this study is selling.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    I'm not sure I'm buying what this study is selling.
    what study?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    what study?

It was reported by the CBC. If they report it it is true. Because the CBC never lies or makes an effort to hide the truth.

Members who have read this thread: 0