So Whats Your Race Outlook for this year?- Mtbr.com
    rad to the power of sick

So Whats Your Race Outlook for this year?

Since the first of the XC races are starting soon, I was wondering, how are people feeling about this year.

I am pumped beyond belief. Last year at this time I was 215lbs 33% bf and finishing 3rd last in sport category. This year Im 175lbs 20%bf and averaging 5km/h faster overall.

Needless to say I cant wait to see how well i do in my races. Id imagine i could pull off some mid field / 1st quartile finishes in the 20-29 sport category.

What about you guys?
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trekracer8000
    Since the first of the XC races are starting soon, I was wondering, how are people feeling about this year.

I am pumped beyond belief. Last year at this time I was 215lbs 33% bf and finishing 3rd last in sport category. This year Im 175lbs 20%bf and averaging 5km/h faster overall.

Needless to say I cant wait to see how well i do in my races. Id imagine i could pull off some mid field / 1st quartile finishes in the 20-29 sport category.

What about you guys?
    I hope to do the Spring Eight Hour Epic at Mansfield with a partner. I'm still looking for someone and I'll probably post something here begining of April if I haven't found anybody. My goals are to have fun, remain puke free and not finish DFL

I'm (maybe) doing the 24 hrs of Summer Solstice race at Albion with a team. My team sounds a bit more serious about this event than I am so I may drop off the team. I will decide this before the end of April.

I hope to do a solo eight hour race this year too. It'll probably be the charity event in Septemeber after I have a good base from a summer of riding.

Up yer kilt!

Skipping the XC

I'll be hammering out the Raids and adventure races this year. I'd rather spend my cash on something that lasts more than a couple of hours (I'm old and by the time I'm warmed up for a XC race, it's over).

I lost a lot (too much) weight last year commuting to work (100km round trip) so this year I'll spend less time on the road (I'll cut back to 3-4 days a week) and more on the MTB.

CA -

I already rode that
    I'm up to just over 180...from 170 I've been a lazy SOB lately! I cant wait till it gets warmer out and ride my bike. But regarding racing...maybe I'll goto 1-2 Ocups and a few enduro's. What I really want to do is another 24hr race which I havent done in afew years, those are really fun.

For racing doing better in racing you might want to try spinning more since Im sure you notice there are hardly any breaks when you do pedal. At least thats what I learned when I upgraded to expert. The price to race is what keeps me back now, 150 just for the license is crazy. One thing I hate too about getting a license is that they will toss me back in expert...even though I think my fitness level is more sport and even if that. But if I were to get a top 5 I would upgrade for the next race but again onedays arent allowed to race expert... but they have let me before soooooo.

rad to the power of sick
    Yea, races and licensing cost waaaaaay too much. Some times i wonder if it would be cheaper to take up go kart racing! Usually I pick up a citizen permit and just use my 3 one day o-cups. If after those three races, i'm in contention, I'll buy my full license. But 150$ isn;t justified in my opinion.

Man, whatever happened to 15$ a race plus you get a t-shirt.

They say I have a problem
    Yea cost has done it for me for too. Last year I skipped all racing because I was getting married and the time just wasn't there. The plan was to do a few citizen races this year, but after seeing the fees I'm having second thoughts. I like the race scene and all, but I really love to just ride. So I think I might just take the money I'd spend on racing and go places to ride...

Rich
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

mtbr member

Race undergorund

Do you really need a free t-shirt and a licence to race...Hell no!

There is a growing number of 'underground' races but like "Alternative" music it can only stay underground for so long before it goes mainstream...sort of like the X-games

Prize money is better also...no fat cats lumping off 'admin fees'

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by smiley
    Do you really need a free t-shirt and a licence to race...Hell no!

There is a growing number of 'underground' races but like "Alternative" music it can only stay underground for so long before it goes mainstream...sort of like the X-games

Prize money is better also...no fat cats lumping off 'admin fees'
    "Underground"? I have never heard of these, can you give me any info? PM me if you want!
    this space left intentionally blank

rad to the power of sick
    pm me too!!!

I a dying for fierce competition...survival of the fittest, not the richest.

Jul 2004
    Spill the beans on this underground stuff...yeah, I know by doing so it defeats the purpose of an underground race event, but I too am sick of over priced comercial events.

I already rode that
    I remember a few years ago someone did a race in the Don. Actually I think it was done by an old school friend too. Anyways a few days later I heard the police was looking for him cause he left tape up down there.
    But a race in the Don? Thats like umm well no places to really pass anyone...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperNewb
    I remember a few years ago someone did a race in the Don. Actually I think it was done by an old school friend too. Anyways a few days later I heard the police was looking for him cause he left tape up down there.
    But a race in the Don? Thats like umm well no places to really pass anyone...
    Is anybody else worried how these "underground" races issues may affect access issues in a negative way? Does anybody even care?

Apr 2004
    a non-city sanctioned race through the don sounds like a stupid idea to me. it is a multi-use trail and I think a bunch of guys on bikes racing through there as fast as possible would only be a negative thing and would only serve to get locations like the don shut down ASAP.

mtbr member

too many issues

The person that I met who organizes the racing does not want me to mention anything on this site(or any other site for that matter) I think it's also grown a bit out of proportion..from what I know its a group of about 15 guys(assuming just guys!) who throw money in a pot, winner takes all...has nothing to with the Don.
    My bad for metioning it....lets just say I got an earful...Im still very curious as to how its run and marked. I cant see it working with the 'masses' too many idiots and cheaters in this world.
    Anyways Im going to try some ARC races this year (well at least one)

Cheers

I already rode that
    Getting the Don shut down would cost the city huge $$. Look at CN's attempt to fence off lower part of the trail.

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperNewb
    Getting the Don shut down would cost the city huge $$. Look at CN's attempt to fence off lower part of the trail.

mmm...racing. Signed up for the Paris2Ancaster on april 17. bought a team in the solestice but the team i ride with(wescam) has a spot for me on their team, so thats for sale now. will do the squeezer in september and my try a road race and possible an O-cup or 2. probably also hit up hotaugust nights.

aaron...congrats on the weight loss bud...i guess someone else found your freshman 15 eh?! I'm sitting at 200# currently down 12 from my 64th placing at the 04 squeezer. Trying to drop the BF and maintain muscle mass so i am going to have to slow it off to 1 pound a week.

rad to the power of sick
    Definitely gave the freshman 15 a kick in the ass...

As soon as the snow melts we should do some riding man...

cheers
    aaron

mtbr member

Anyone interested in Spring 8-Hour?

Hey guys. All this talk about racing has got me dreaming of sunny days at Albion Hills and Kelso!

Anyway, one of the events I'm hoping to do this year is the Chico Racing Spring 8-Hour Relay at Mansfield on Saturday, May 28.

What I'm looking for is another rider interested in doing a tag team race with me. It would be more about having fun than winning, but I'd like to get somebody in the same general ability level as myself.
    Around a 100th overall at the Squeezer last year would be fanastic, give or take 50 or 60

It should be a great time. I've done two 24 hour events and I'll be using this as a warm up to the Summer Solstice, but I've never done an 8-hour race. Should be interesting.

Cheers!
    Dan D.
    bikerider(at)cogeco.ca

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddakin
    Anyway, one of the events I'm hoping to do this year is the Chico Racing Spring 8-Hour Relay at Mansfield on Saturday, May 28.

What I'm looking for is another rider interested in doing a tag team race with me. It would be more about having fun than winning, but I'd like to get somebody in the same general ability level as myself.
    Please read the thread.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Jay Challenge 2005 July 29-31

The race takes place 90 minutes away from Montreal, lots of racer from Ottawa and Toronto area.

WHERE: Jay Peak ski resort Vermont

Check it out; www.jaychallenge.com

Dan
    Jay Challenge
    America's ultimate offroad challenge

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ddakin
    Hey guys. All this talk about racing has got me dreaming of sunny days at Albion Hills and Kelso!

Around a 100th overall at the Squeezer last year would be fanastic, give or take 50 or 60

It should be a great time. I've done two 24 hour events and I'll be using this as a warm up to the Summer Solstice, but I've never done an 8-hour race. Should be interesting.

Cheers!
    Dan D.
    bikerider(at)cogeco.ca
    Dan,

I'm interested. Have you already registered a team? I have a solestice deposit that i could cash in against it as i am already riding on another team for that. Let me know what you think. I'm from hamilton and came in 64th at the last squeezer. Oh and i will be 26 at the time(not sure if there is age groupings in tagteam).
    trevor
    teebor76(at)hotmail.com