• 08-26-2014
    Thatshowiroll
    So, Nobody Here Did the Summer Epic 8?
    I'm in for the Fall E8 so I held out.
  • 08-26-2014
    Arek
    It was a fun, twisty course that didn't seem to favor any particular type of bike or drivetrain, the weather held for us and the temps were great - it was overcast most of the day so it wasn't too hot. But the lack of sun and relatively high humidity meant the rocks and roots under the canopy remained greasy throughout most of the day - at least that's what I found. In particular one of the first rock gardens, after a right turn and on a slight up - started bouncing me around toward the end of the race.
    I saw quite a few familiar faces, had a great time on the course and - as usual - in the Trail Bullies camp in between my laps. Good day for sure!
  • 08-26-2014
    pucked up
    As said above, it was a fun day. I found the course easier than last year, but maybe I was in better shape this year. The Chiner bike I built did not disintegrate beneath me and my times are slowly coming down since I came back to racing again.

    Yes most of the trail was damp, which I found challenging since my tires are for dry / hardpack but fun none the less.

    I was looking forward to racing in the Garden City Classic in Sept. But it has been canceled for this year. Fall Epic 8 maybe?
  • 08-26-2014
    Unglued
    Au contraire...three MTBR regulars (including yours truly) threw down in solo Singlespeed. And Serious was on Seriously good form and took podium. Yours truly was a distant second and 14Stone made me really work for it.

    In more positive news, in the spring epic 8, Serious lapped me at 2pm. This past weekend, it took him until 4:30pm. So who knows...at this rate maybe I will get the same amount of laps as him next month. Or at least I will try...
  • 08-27-2014
    Thatshowiroll
    Thanks for the replies. You see, I live my racing life vicariously through MTBR.
  • 08-27-2014
    RiotMTB
  • 08-27-2014
    secret agent
    I enjoy your race reports Riot. Gives us slow folks a whole different dimension of the sport. Like thatshowIroll, I live a vicarious racing life through MTBR. Not suggesting THIRL is slow. Not sure why he doesn't race.
  • 08-27-2014
    PolishExperiment
    Did a Pre ride at 7am on Sat, chugged a beer after to take the edge off the lingering hangover, team won our age category. All in all a successful day of shenaniganing with some riding mixed in.
  • 08-27-2014
    secret agent
    I may be half way there then. I'm world class at shenaniganing. Just got to get the riding part up to par. Congratulations.
  • 08-28-2014
    Merdoff
    Was a great day!!! fun course, but I called it quits at 10 laps. Had plenty of time to do a 11th lap but would not have caught 3rd place & those cold beer I kept seeing in my cooler were calling my name.
    Serious, I do have that podium pic but am unable to upload it for some reason. PM me your email & I can send it to you. Unglued you were MIA during the podium shot? Congrats to everyone who made it to the podium!
  • 08-28-2014
    serious
    Thanks Merdoff, I sent you a PM. :)

    And Unglued, keep at it, you will get me some day, no doubt. I hope it won't be at the fall race, but you never know. :)
  • 08-29-2014
    serious
    Personally, I found the course harder than last year and my average time showed it. I saw several other racers in the 12-14 lap performance who were slightly slower than last year too. For me, the hardest part were the wet roots and rocks. The bouncing around got old after a few hours and became pure annoyance. :)

    My last lap (13th) was the best however. I stopped to pee, I did not fret about roots and rocks and walked the last steep climb without a care in the world. Knowing that I was on the podium is a great feeling. Knowing that I won came with mixed feelings, because I know where I stand in this category. I may be consistent, but I am far from the best.

    Still, a win is a win and I am grateful to have experienced it. :)
  • 08-29-2014
    Unglued
    I thought I was in a comfortable second all day. By 5pm I was too far behind Serious to catch him, and knew I would only have time for one lap regardless of how much time I had. I was told by team-mates riding categories that I had a pretty decent cushion on the third place rider. So my only goal was to take it easy and not crash (it is remarkably easy to ride into trees after 7 hours on a bike with a rigid fork).

    5km out, I am grinding up a hill when I see the 3rd place rider come around the corner about 20 yards behind me. So all of a sudden, we have a real MTB race on our hands. I stand up on the pedals, dig deeper than I have ever before and HAMMER (as much as anyone can hammer after 7 hours on a rigid singlespeed). #3 rider is on my back wheel. I dig deeper and open up a small gap. The gap gets larger but the whole time I am thinking "one mistake, one crash, one dap, one blown climb and he will pass me" and by that stage in the game mistakes are pretty common. By the time we come through the transition, I have opened up about 100 yards. I hit the BMX course by the finish at high velocity and according to Strava, post my highest speed of the day (40+km). I roll over the finish line and collapse in a sweaty heap. #3 comes in 1 minute, 10 seconds later. Apparently he cramped while trying to catch me and then cracked. After 7 1/2 hours it comes down to 1 minute, worrying about one mistake, one crash, one blown climb. Now that is what I call a mountainbike race.

    I will be back in September to keep Serious honest but the b***** is just too darn strong. I am in second in the series right now behind him and hope to finish that way after the fall 8. Meanwhile, 14Stone, who looks in the best shape I have ever seen him, is plotting how to school me. Should be an interesting race....
  • 08-29-2014
    Unglued
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Merdoff View Post
    Was a great day!!! fun course, but I called it quits at 10 laps. Had plenty of time to do a 11th lap but would not have caught 3rd place & those cold beer I kept seeing in my cooler were calling my name.
    Serious, I do have that podium pic but am unable to upload it for some reason. PM me your email & I can send it to you. Unglued you were MIA during the podium shot? Congrats to everyone who made it to the podium!

    10 laps with time for an 11th - well done!

    And yes, I missed my podium because I had only just finished and was curled in a foetal position in my pit area after 110km on a rigid singlespeed. But Glenn was nice enough to do the solo SS podium a second time for me when I finally got up and came to the awards...
  • 08-29-2014
    RiotMTB
    Serious...you are an animal....and a mentor for guys like me to strive to catch.

    Unglued....i have heard a rumour that there is no series competition this year...which I am very dissappointed in to learn this at this stage...cuz this is wha Riot and Fig were striving for...
  • 08-30-2014
    serious
    Thanks RiotMTB, but you are too kind. As for the series competition, I don't see a points listing, so I also am inclined to think that there won't be such a thing. Oh well, we'll have a beer instead. :)
  • 09-06-2014
    14Stone
    Ooof never saw this thread.

    Was a good race, went out a bit too hard and blew my engine by lap 5. Determined to keep going I just pushed through 2 laps of pain till my legs seized up on me. For a while I was within Ass Slapping distance of Unglued.

    I've managed to whip myself into pretty decent shape, but am starting to hang with riders I really have no business hanging with, and my inexperience riding starts to show when I use them as rabbits.

    Also being 240lbs doesn't help when you're trying to chase down guys almost half your weight :)

    The Fall 8 is around the corner, looking forward to it already.

    But to be honest, this year I'm enjoying racing because I feel that I have the fitness base built up so that I can do things in races that I could never do before, and its entirely new and exciting to me.
  • 09-06-2014
    Biggie
    Sh!t, 14Stone, hanging with the fast kids and weighing 240? Impressive. You get down to 205 and those guys will get practice identifying your passing odour.

    "Hmmm, is that Beljum Budder?"
  • 09-06-2014
    Unglued
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    Ooof never saw this thread.

    Was a good race, went out a bit too hard and blew my engine by lap 5. Determined to keep going I just pushed through 2 laps of pain till my legs seized up on me. For a while I was within Ass Slapping distance of Unglued.

    I've managed to whip myself into pretty decent shape, but am starting to hang with riders I really have no business hanging with, and my inexperience riding starts to show when I use them as rabbits.

    Also being 240lbs doesn't help when you're trying to chase down guys almost half your weight :)

    The Fall 8 is around the corner, looking forward to it already.

    But to be honest, this year I'm enjoying racing because I feel that I have the fitness base built up so that I can do things in races that I could never do before, and its entirely new and exciting to me.


    1. You slap my @ss, I break your arm;
    2. If you are referring to me in the second paragraph you should not sell yourself so short;
    3. I haven't been half your weight since I was 12
    4. Fall Epic 8 is going to be a major throwdown
    5. Chapeau!
  • 09-07-2014
    14Stone
    "smells like bacon and cheese" :)
  • 09-09-2014
    serious
    So, Nobody Here Did the Summer Epic 8?
    You got my respect 14Stone. You carry 90 lbs over me, and I have no idea how you manage it, but I am impressed.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 09-09-2014
    Unglued
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by serious View Post
    You got my respect 14Stone. You carry 90 lbs over me, and I have no idea how you manage it, but I am impressed.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    I am saddened to report that 14Stone is, according to the rider confirmation list, signed up for Solo Male, not Solo Singlespeed, for the Fall Epic 8. Are you going to come out for SoloSS and ruin my day, Serious?
  • 09-09-2014
    14Stone
    Email sent in to correct this sillyness.
  • 09-09-2014
    14Stone
    Sillyness corrected.
  • 09-10-2014
    serious
    Unless injured, I shall be there Unglued. But I will be there to make your day fantastic. You will chase me or I will chase you, but we are really doing what we love. And so we are making each other's lives beautiful on that day. :)
  • 09-10-2014
    serious
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    Sillyness corrected.

    Good man! I knew you are "one of us". :)
  • 09-11-2014
    Unglued
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by serious View Post
    Unless injured, I shall be there Unglued. But I will be there to make your day fantastic. You will chase me or I will chase you, but we are really doing what we love. And so we are making each other's lives beautiful on that day. :)

    I'll tell ya, but 4.00p.m. it didn't feel like I was doing something that I loved....
  • 09-12-2014
    serious
    So, Nobody Here Did the Summer Epic 8?
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    I'll tell ya, but 4.00p.m. it didn't feel like I was doing something that I loved....

    Yeah, I can understand that. :)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk