So let it be ridden, so let it be done.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

So let it be ridden, so let it be done.

I joined this forum in 2007 and I recall one of my first posts was in a Hamilton thread looking for local help in linking up the best 'big' rides around the area. At the time, I knew my way around, but I was by no means an expert.

In the summer of 2008 I was set to do Transrockies and in preparation I was transitioning from a weekend warrior to a more trained, endurance focused cyclist. It was at that time that I organized the first 'Hamilton Endurance Ride' through this forum. I organized these rides yearly until 2012 I believe. I met many people from this forum on those rides, many of which I still ride with. We generally managed anywhere from 75-100 km depending on conditions, group size and mechanical issues. We rode in thunderstorms, in blistering heat, we had rides that were 25+ strong, the first only 3 people. I took pride in showing that Hamilton had a lot to offer, including a lot of climbing .

Over the past 9 years of living in Hamilton (and 4 before that), I've become a self proclaimed expert in the local trails. It's always been in my head that an off-road 100 miler would be possible in Hamilton. It also turns out that in a couple weeks I'll both be giving a 24 solo another shot and I'll be moving away from Hamilton. I figured now was a great time to show proof of principle that bigger than big epic mountain bike rides are possible in the area. So on Sunday I did it.

Unfortunately my garmin ran out of battery power with about 10 km to go, leaving my final tally at about 158km.

I didn't do everything, but I tried to link together the best route I could that ensured I'd have maximum fun, double back the least amount as possible and most importantly, get it done.

So here is my farewell to Hamilton riding. As a side note, I'll be putting the 'East' in Eastern Canada. Give me a couple years and hopefully I'll be able to self proclaim expertise in the Fredericton area. Even before that, hit me up with a pm for riding information out there if you are passing through, I'll be trying to learn as quickly as possible.

So let it be ridden, so let it be done.-enduroride.jpg
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    That is quite the ride. I think I have done about 75% of that at one time or another, but not all at once. Very nice. You'll know Fredericton trails in short order I imagine. The best of luck out there. Looking forward to some awesome reports from the East. You'll get a lot of use of your snow stuff if last winter was any indication.

You really should have pushed it to 160+ for a century ride
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    That is quite the ride. I think I have done about 75% of that at one time or another, but not all at once. Very nice. You'll know Fredericton trails in short order I imagine. The best of luck out there. Looking forward to some awesome reports from the East. You'll get a lot of use of your snow stuff if last winter was any indication.

You really should have pushed it to 160+ for a century ride
    Thanks. Hoping for some great skiing this coming winter. Luckily I'll be working from home, so no need to travel in the bad weather. Plus I'm hoping to get a few KM of trails built/cleared on my property by fall.

And I would have pushed for that extra couple KM had my Garmin not of ran out of power. But as it stood, I couldn't prove I rode the 100 miles, so I took the more direct route home to beer.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Prudent choice!

mtbr member
    Wow, that is a whole lot of riding. I think you are ready for the 24 hour solo. Crazy, but ready.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

More than a little slow
    Nice ride. Looking forward to seeing you at Solstice. I knew you'd be back for a solo!
    Cheers, Dave

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dskunk View Post
    Nice ride. Looking forward to seeing you at Solstice. I knew you'd be back for a solo!
    Thanks dskunk, your encouragement to give it a shot again was always in the back of my mind.
    Straight outta Rossland

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Well done mate.