Smog alert!!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Smog alert!!

Mar 2004

Smog alert!!

I usually like to take my bike out for a few spin even I'm not planning to go on trail. Or go for an hour ride on my road bike around sunset. But the smog is too heavy for the past week, even just walk outdoor makes me feel uncomfortable. Is not officially summer yet and we already had 14 smog alerts. Crazy.
    Last edited by esmundo; 06-12-2005 at 02:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by esmundo
    I usually like to take my bike out for a few spin even I'm not planning to go on trail. Or go for an hour ride on my road bike around sunset. But the smog is too heavy for the past week, even just walk outdoor makes me feel uncomfortable. Is not officially summer yet and we already had 14 smog alerts. Crazy.
    Agreed. It's been discussed lately that not only have we already had more "hot days" than the entirety of last summer, but we are also suffering an all-time high for smog alerts.

I remember driving on Hwy 400 southbound and seeing the smog line over TO from a distance. Reminds me of how California is.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Upset too dam humid, hot to ride

It is too dam hot, humid. I have difficulty breathing. I am not even asthmatic.
    I didn't even ride my bike this weekend. I probably lost 2lbs over the week just for being outdoor. The humidity literally burns away my body fat. I think Jenny Craig is loosing alot of business in this weather.

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard
    :
    I didn't even ride my bike this weekend. I probably lost 2lbs over the week just for being outdoor. The humidity literally burns away my body fat. I think Jenny Craig is loosing alot of business in this weather.
    You are a lucky man. I've kept myself hydrated and can't lose even half a pound. I normally don't ride when it's like this but to be perfectly honest when you are under the tree cover in the Don it's OK. After the schiesse weather of the last year and a half in the GTA I promised myself to not get lazy and get my ass out there every time I could this year. It's working because my fitness has come on big time in the last 2 weeks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    On wednesday night i still managed to get out for a ride, but after that it just got too hot. I find as long as i go in the evening once the sun is pretty low (around 7:30) then its a lot more barable.

mtbr member

Suck It Up!!

Its too hot. Are you freakin nuts...
    Ive waited all winter for this weather...

But if you would rather have -10C, snow on the ground and the ladies all bundled up...
    Me..bring on the heat, bikinis and beer..nuff said

They say I have a problem
    Quote Originally Posted by smiley
    Its too hot. Are you freakin nuts...
    Ive waited all winter for this weather...

But if you would rather have -10C, snow on the ground and the ladies all bundled up...
    Me..bring on the heat, bikinis and beer..nuff said

Thank-you, Smiley!!!!

Man get out and ride!!! Just make sure you stay hydrated...

Shelly and I have been on the road and trails the whole time through this heat spell...We've put about 30km of trail rides and 250km's of road rides in...

Like Smiley said, I spent all winter cursing the cold and snow and dreaming of summer. Now that it is here there is no way I'm passing it up. The only, weather related, thing that will keep me off the bike is major rain...Heat, no way!!!
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I rode Sat & Sun at 7am each day. In Milton on Sunday it was actually cool because of the light rain. I agree that riding mid-day in this heat isn't fun, but you can still find ways to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowenbrau
    I normally don't ride when it's like this but to be perfectly honest when you are under the tree cover in the Don it's OK.

Agreed. I have been riding the Don at around dinner time and have been loving it the past weeks.
    With our weather, you can't pass up riding on days when "it's too hot".
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2019 Norco Search XR Steel
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

May 2005
    Although we donít have anywhere near the smog levels of Toronto we do have are share here in Ottawa. That being said both my wife and I went mtb riding for around three hours both on Saturday and Sunday afternoon, only we choose the flat Greenbelt trails instead of the step Gatineau Park ones. Not being youngsters anymore we felt that climbing the step hills in Gats in 40+ humidex degrees might be a bit much. Interestingly enough other than a few kids on bikes we did not encounter any adult bikers or hikers. My take is that Canadians in general really are wimpy when it comes to hot weather.

livin' large
    Went out Sunday morning and had to cut the ride short because of the humidity, just couldn't get up the hills, sweat pouring into my eyes, hard breathing in the humidity, and all the logs and rocks are sweaty. It adds a level of challenge that kicks me harder than usual, I just need to stick to the less rollercoastery trails on humid days, or break out the lights and ride at night when it's cooler. And yes I do perfer -10c weather it agrees with my polarbear physique
    it tied the room together man!

mtbr member
    YEAH BABY!!! It's POURING outside. Esmundo, your prayers have been answered!!!!

By the end of this week it'll be perfect weather! RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE!!!!!!!!!!

This motivational post has been brought to you by.....
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    YEAH BABY!!! It's POURING outside. Esmundo, your prayers have been answered!!!!

By the end of this week it'll be perfect weather! RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE!!!!!!!!!!

This motivational post has been brought to you by.....
    Yeah.... this weekend is gonna be sweet.