• 01-17-2015
    Slash5
    Skills Boot Camps at Buckwallow - any one know anything?
    I was just looking at Cycling Events 2015 and see this Skills Boot Camps at Buckwallow.
    Sounds like it might be a good excuse to ride Buckwallow and the training would do a lot of good. Anyone know anything about them? Worth while? $95 + taxes

Ride Guides: Skills Boot Camps - On May 30th, June 27th or July 25th, book your spot with Ride Guides for an all day mountain biking Skills Boot Camps at Buckwallow. Bring your own bike or rent one on site. Starting at 9am and going until 3pm, this all day program will give you the skills you need to get comfortable at riding moderate terrain on a mountain bike. For all information and how to book, visit their site.
  • 01-18-2015
    BlackCanoeDog
    I see them there every year. Just from casual observation they appear to be geared more towards beginners and if you are at that level for sure worth the money, they put a lot of effort and value into the day. Buck has a nice big grassy area under the pines that is perfect for this and on a nice sunny day would be very pleasant. There is considerable time spent doing stretches, yoga, and then riding planks and simple obstacles. That takes up most of the morning I think and then they hit the trails in the afternoon. They will pick various trail features and then coach the participants through. I could be wrong but that's how it looks to me as Blue and I head out or come in off the trails.
    One always learns something but if you already are at least an intermediate level rider I would question how much. And you won't be spending all that much time out on the trails just riding either. If you have never ridden Buck you should have at least an extra day just to ride...my 2 cents
  • 01-18-2015
    Slash5
    Thanks, sound too basic to be much use. I was hoping for something more advanced - like to work on carrying more speed through the corners, drops, jumps, thing like that. Read the books and watched the videos but sometimes there is nothing like someone shouting at you while you do it.
  • 01-18-2015
    secret agent
    Call them and ask. I believe they do individual coaching and tours. That would be more money, but completely geared to your needs.
  • 01-18-2015
    machine4321
    I know one of the guys on my team did an advance skills camp at hardwood, forget who taught it. But he said it was great and I noticed his skills increased!
  • 01-18-2015
    Circlip
    Quote:

Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    I know one of the guys on my team did an advance skills camp at hardwood, forget who taught it. But he said it was great and I noticed his skills increased!

My first ever coached skills camp was with Kevin Simms at Hardwood a long, long time ago (relatively speaking) and it certainly helped. I've done different clinics with DH honches Mike Jones and Geoff Pendrel other times too, set up toward general trail riding. All very helpful. So long as the coaches are good, I have always found these clinics to be useful, even if it's just dedicated time to go back to basics and see if there's a couple of really fundamental items to take away for practicing on my own rides later as areas for improvement. Experienced coaches have eyes that can spot things a rider may have never realized about their riding, even for those with lots of years of trail time under their belts.
  • 01-19-2015
    BlackCanoeDog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Thanks, sound too basic to be much use. I was hoping for something more advanced - like to work on carrying more speed through the corners, drops, jumps, thing like that. Read the books and watched the videos but sometimes there is nothing like someone shouting at you while you do it.

As SA stated, best to call them. I'm sure they have the capability to teach advanced judging from their video clips at Buck on the website. Maybe they will tailor coaching in a group to the different abilities within the group. I would be interested in that as well. The groups I have witnessed seemed pretty basic though.
  • 01-19-2015
    Nerdgirl
    I did a Sacred Rides camp up there a few years ago and it was great - not sure if they're still offering them...
  • 01-19-2015
    singlesprocket
    here's some tips i've picked up... of course your mileage may vary

berms/corners: move your center of gravity over the front wheel more (front gives you traction). point your belly button (hips) where you want to go. try not to brake in the berm/corner

drops: learn how to do a wheelie, then learn how to do a wheelie drop off a curb to flat... practice and practice some more. you know you got it when you can land your rear wheel first at will. then learn how to match your drop to the transition... this takes a bit of practice. the key is getting your front wheel up.

jumps: go to joyride, sunnyside etc... lower your seat and get a set of platforms... watch the kids where they are compressing and releasing on the jump. then practice a heck of a lot. ask for feed back, people are pretty friendly and will help.

carrying more speed: get into the habit of pumping sections. spend some time on a pump track, it will become clear

all of this will take more than a weekend to learn, for some people it might take months. but if you don't practice and keep riding the same old comfortable trails you will never learn.
  • 01-19-2015
    Enduramil
    If you are willing to travel up to Kingston you could get some one on one time with Kyle Sangers.
  • 01-19-2015
    Enduramil
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    One always learns something but if you already are at least an intermediate level rider I would question how much.

A lot of what coaching is has less to do with teaching new skills but more on correcting developing bad habits with known skills. We all know how we are supposed to do certain skills but over time humans have a habit of getting lazy. We start things like not bending our arms enough. While we won't realize it a coach will spot these things.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post

To bad you aren't in Kingston. I started a easier group ride on Sunday's for that very reason with our trail group.