Singlespeed National Challenge @ Buckwallow Cycling Centre, Gravenhurst Ontario- Mtbr.com
    Sweet Monkey Tuesday!

Singlespeed National Challenge @ Buckwallow Cycling Centre, Gravenhurst Ontario

Details are still a little fuzzy at this point - but here's what we know:

> October 1-3, 2010 (Friday through Sunday of the first weekend in October) a bike festival of yet unknown size in Gravenhurst, Ontario

> During the course of the weekend (Saturday or Sunday) Angry Johnny's Cycling Club is going to host the first ever Canadian Singlespeed National Challenge at Buckwallow Cycling Centre. Format is still to be determined, but tenatively the day will consist of a short-track and/or time trial race in the morning, and a long format XC race in the afternoon (hopefully taking in a brand new piece of singletrack built just for this race - the route is tagged, but going to go in and check spring drainage before starting to build) crowning an overall champion

> The Fourth Annual Puppy Pedal (aka, BlackCanoeDog and Biff Pedachenko's 'A Really Nice Ride') will be held on the 'other' day - 40km of mixed condition riding down the original Bala colonization road from Gravenhurst - singletrack, cottage road, and the 'Granite Moab' of Torrance Barrens - open to all riders, not just singlespeeders

> Road rides through Autumn Muskoka yet to be determined

> A kid's race and bike games a definate possibility (input?)

> Friday and/or Saturday night entertainment being mulled over (bike flicks in the turn of the century Gravenhurst Opera House, Live music on the water, something else yet to be determined - we still don't know)

> Probably a night ride squeaked in there somewhere

> Perhaps a leisurely bike tour is historic Gravenhurst landmarks

> Hoping to include a (no-dealers) swap meet - because we all have too much old gear kicking around that someone else is dying to have

Basically a celebration of our bike-geek-dom with a late season singlespeed race thrown in for good measure. Thoughts, comments, input?

Muskoka
    If you want to get a feel for this group ride on the "other day", here's some pov video that I made on the 2009 "Puppy Pedal"
    <object width="450" height="304"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=6616657&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=00adef&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=6616657&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=00adef&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="450" height="304"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/6616657">The Old Stone Road-A Better Way to Heaven</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user1694405">BlackCanoeDog</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
    Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 03-23-2010 at 02:54 PM.
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Intriguing. One week after the Canadian Single Speed Championships in PEI. I do love an excuse to ride Buckwallow...

Evil Jr.
    Sounds marvellous! I'd be keen to get to know a lot of the stuff up there better and it probably only conflicts with a CX race (or two...)!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Sound like a fun weekend of, as you put it "a celebration of our bike-geek-dom". I think I'll strip off my pesky derailleurs and cassette and join ya'll.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Hmm, the middle of cross season??

Sweet Monkey Tuesday!
    We've been toying with dates and details for about a year between other team committments, the Ontario racing schedule, CCA recommendations, and weedends that weren't already booked in Gravenhurst...our first choice would have been in late August/early September, but that's already a busy enough time....so we settled on the first weekend of October, it's after pretty much all the XC season, but early enough to avoid as much of the CX season as we could

mtbr member
    Fall in cottage country.

Single speed and a cottage near by.

Great trails, solid weekend

Rooms for rent.* Must be willing to party like it's 1999.

* Rent not actually required.

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor
    Must be willing to party like it's 1999.
    do you have a hot tub?
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    How many unofficial singlespeed championships are there now?!

That said, I'd most likely attend.

Sweet Monkey Tuesday!
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace
    How many unofficial singlespeed championships are there now?!
    Sorry, we got started on this wacky journey before anyone else save the CX race was on the radar and we're just too stubborn to change the name now. Of course we could have told someone (anyone) about our plans sooner, but with foresight like that you wouldn't believe this was an Angry Johnny production

Though technically, on advice from the CCA, we're a national CHALLENGE, not championship. Championship implies there's a national jersey being awarded, and there isn't a national single speed jersey...yet

Now that I've said that, if you're really that hung up on semantics, maybe we should un-invite you

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    do you have a hot tub?

I hear it is Wolverine powred.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Is this guaranteed to rub UCI Luddites the wrong way?

Sweet Monkey Tuesday!
    Quite possibly - but personally I expect there to be far too much Guiness involved in the weekend to be making guarantees

mtbr member
    Now that I've said that, if you're really that hung up on semantics, maybe we should un-invite you
    If this is anything like other SS events, and by like i mean not like (take the Anti Race for example), then I would have to interpret that as an invitation

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    do you have a hot tub?
    No but there is a kiddy pool and I can bring some chilli.

mtbr member
    Did this event get off of the ground? I only stumbled upon it recently and it sounds legit.

Sweet Monkey Tuesday!
    Organizer of the single speed race ran into some serious problems and had to cancel for this year, however Puppy Pedal is still happening next weekend (back to it's usual time the Sunday following Labour Day) check out www.PuppyPedal.ca for details on that.

Puppy Pedal happens Sunday morning, September 12, still looking at some informal group rides to happen on the Saturday if we find a couple people interested in doing that.

Members who have read this thread: 0